Which one is good for using Fresh Sperm or Freezing Sperm? - Genesis - IVF.ca Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Which one is good for using Fresh Sperm or Freezing Sperm?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dkyxtt

dkyxtt
  • 7 posts
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:Genesis

Posted 12 November 2013 - 04:31 PM

Can some one help me to answer this one? My husband has had the freezing sperm in Genesis, but I still wonder I have to choose fresh one or freezing one? Thanks.

#2 Merry33

Merry33
  • 1000+
  • 1208 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 05:19 PM

It depends on your diagnosis. If there is no male factor involved I think both fresh and frozen should be equally good. I know that for severe male factor frozen samples tend to be bad quality, which is why our clinic never even froze any of ours.

• ebonyglare likes this

#3 rollergirl

rollergirl

Cougar Alert....loves boy toys...the younger the better!!

• 1000+
  • 1884 posts
  • My Clinic:VFC

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:02 PM

It depends ......tomorrow we will unthaw DH's sperm and last time they didn't unthaw that good.....so another PESA for him maybe......

Good luck!!

• ebonyglare and dkyxtt like this
Me-72 DH-26 It is what it is...

#4 ebonyglare

ebonyglare
  • Global 100+
  • 451 posts
  • Dx:PCOS
  • My Clinic:MRC/McGill

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:46 PM

It depends what you are using it for. For IUI, frozen sperm doesn't live as long as fresh sperm. So while it could work, if you have the option for fresh sperm, I would go with it. For IVF, I defer to the ever so wise comments above! :)

February 2014 - A pleasant surprise!

See About Me page for the details :)

#5 dkyxtt

dkyxtt
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:08 PM

It depends on your diagnosis. If there is no male factor involved I think both fresh and frozen should be equally good. I know that for severe male factor frozen samples tend to be bad quality, which is why our clinic never even froze any of ours.

Thanks so much. Because my husband will come two days before operation and may have jet lag that cause bad sperm quality, I just wonder to use his fresh.

#6 dkyxtt

dkyxtt
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:11 PM

It depends what you are using it for. For IUI, frozen sperm doesn't live as long as fresh sperm. So while it could work, if you have the option for fresh sperm, I would go with it. For IVF, I defer to the ever so wise comments above! smile.png

Thanks. I will do IVF, because my husband may have jet lag, it may cause bad quality. What can I do! So sad.

#7 waitingforbfp

waitingforbfp
  • Global 100+
  • 469 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:KRF/Olive

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:07 PM

It depends what you are using it for. For IUI, frozen sperm doesn't live as long as fresh sperm. So while it could work, if you have the option for fresh sperm, I would go with it. For IVF, I defer to the ever so wise comments above! smile.png

Thanks. I will do IVF, because my husband may have jet lag, it may cause bad quality. What can I do! So sad.

Who told you jet lag causes bad quality sperm?? I have never heard of that. We have to travel to Genesis too (from the Kootenays) so we have to travel too & never had an issue with hubby's sperm. If your hubby has no sperm issues; he should be good to go. Maybe a bit of 'stage fright'; but we brought the sample to the clinic the morning of retrieval. They had no issues with that (and we stayed down the road so the 30 minute time didn't matter to us). 

When are you planning your IVF?? I am currently in Van now waiting for our FET transfer in the morning :) If it doesn't work; I am planning a fresh cycle in January, but switching over to Olive. I deal with a satellite clinic so don't have much choice to stay; although all the Dr's I have dealt with at Genesis are all at Olive now so will be good the dr's know all about my past cycles.  

Me-38 DH- 42

TTC since 2000
Unexplained Secondary Infertility (Had a son while a teen and gave him up for adoption)
March 2000- M/C @ 11 weeks
January 2001- M/C @ 9 weeks
February 2003- M/C @ 8 weeks
2004-2007- 6 Cycles of clomid and natural conception- BFN
November 2009- IUI with injectables- BFN
February 2010- IUI with injectables- BFN
May 2012-Consult with KRF. Re-due blood tests and prep for IVF
June 2012-Started taking Estrace for estrogen priming protocol
Blood test to see why af hasn't started. BFP with low numbers. Chemical Pregnancy
IVF#1 (KRF/Genesis)--July 29, 2012- Estrogen Priming Protocol
August 19-Egg Retrieval 20 eggs; 18 fertilized; 11 made it to Day 5
August 24- Transferred 1 Blast; Froze 4 (the rest didn't make it overnight to Day 6)
Sept 2-Took HPT (Faint Positive)
Sept 5-Beta 3 (BFN--Another Chemical)
FET#1(KRF/Genesis)-Oct 30 2012 On Estrace and Prednisone. Transferred 2 blasts (Had to thaw 3-one didn't make it. One left in the freezer)
Nov 13 2012- Beta- BFN

FET#2(KRF/Genesis) -Nov 16,2013 BETA Nov 27--Chemical Pregnancy 

IVF#2 (KRF/Olive)Consult Jan 27. (Doing CCS & immune treatments this cycle)

Estrogen Priming Starts February 19, 2014 YAY!!!!

STIMS START March 1, 2014

Retrieval Mar 13, 2014. 17 eggs retrieved, 16 of which mature and 15 fertilized. 

11 made it to blast and were biopsied and frozen. 5 NORMAL BLASTS yahoo.gif

FET with next af (transfer May, hopefully). 

FET transfer with One Normal Perfect Embryo May 15, 2014

5dp5dt--Faint positive on hpt. Darker on 6dp5dt yahoo.gif

BETA--May 26, 2014 (FX this is it)

ANOTHER F**KING chemical--beta 21 th_agrr.gif

FET#2--Lining scan on July 15. Lining at 10mm and dominate follicle is at 19mm. Waiting on ovulation to time transfer. Here we go again. FX this is it!!!

TRANSFER July 21, 2014--1 PGS Normal Blast

8th confirmed Chemical

LOOKING FOR A SURROGATE. Still have 3 PGS normal embryos frozen.

Trying again with my body......'initial' consult is April 14

#8 dkyxtt

dkyxtt
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:29 PM

Who told you jet lag causes bad quality sperm?? I have never heard of that. We have to travel to Genesis too (from the Kootenays) so we have to travel too & never had an issue with hubby's sperm. If your hubby has no sperm issues; he should be good to go. Maybe a bit of 'stage fright'; but we brought the sample to the clinic the morning of retrieval. They had no issues with that (and we stayed down the road so the 30 minute time didn't matter to us). 

When are you planning your IVF?? I am currently in Van now waiting for our FET transfer in the morning smile.png If it doesn't work; I am planning a fresh cycle in January, but switching over to Olive. I deal with a satellite clinic so don't have much choice to stay; although all the Dr's I have dealt with at Genesis are all at Olive now so will be good the dr's know all about my past cycles.  

Hi, waitingforbfp,

Tomorrow I start to do the injection Day 1, Hopefully do ER at the end of this month. Today I talked to Genesis RE, she said freezing sperm is just for backup. It is better to use fresh one. So, I go for fresh sperm. I wish yours will be good!

• waitingforbfp likes this