• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Positivity23

Positivity23
  • Global 100+
  • 172 posts
  • Dx:Genetic

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:56 PM

Hi everyone, just wondering if anyone has done IVF with PGD (and had success) at TCART?  We are considering this due to genetics (I have a balanced translocation).  Just need to hear some success stories, feeling a bit down right now.

Thank you.

Me: 32, DH: 34

#2 nervus optimist

nervus optimist
  • Super Moderator
  • 2677 posts
  • My Clinic:newlife

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:16 PM

there are lots of great PGD success stories on this site, and beyond (though I'm not one of them... but that's how it goes I guess).  Since very few people do PGD you may not find someone on the site right now who did it at TCART, but if you ask they clinic how much experience they have specifically with PGD they should be able to give you details of their successes.  The technology is amazing and does help create many healthy families.

I'm so sorry you're feeling down and wish you strength in your continued journey

:flowers:

I am 38, DH - 39
Genetic - IVF&PGD to prevent Genetic Disorder
IVF #1 - Nov/08 - MC @ 6 weeks, no embryos frozen
IVF #2 - Aug/09 - bfn
IUI #1 - Feb/10 - ectopic
PRIDE - Apr/10
Homestudy - July/10
Given the gift of donor embryos - Jan/12
Donor FET Jun/12 - 9 weeks - no heartbeat... MC
Donor FET Oct/12 - we're PG biggrin.png

===> Beautiful baby boy born 2013 babyboy.gif

Donor FET Oct/16 - chemical

April 2017 - surprise PG

===> Beautiful baby girl born 2017 babygirl.gif

#3 SangrealMazimur

SangrealMazimur

The Pincushion

• Global 100+
  • 969 posts
  • Interests:sometimes knitter, gamer girl, love to read, movies of almost all kinds
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:TCART

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:02 AM

We skipped it. It was offered as they thought my recurring miscarriages could be embryo issues, but we tried intralipids first and it worked. I believe that testing the embryos isn't 100% accurate, but I could be wrong on its benefits.

I believe at least one person here as done it, hopefully they respond :)
Best of luck!

Me: 33 DH: 39
TTC: Since Valentine's day 2008
Fur Friends: Spirit , Shadow
DH and I have been together since I was 19

When we get pregnant it will be the first baby on
each side.

First IVF: Jan 2009
Protocol: Suprefact, Marvelon, Puregon, Menopur
ET: Jan 31, BETA test Feb 12 BFN
FET#1 BETA first was 53 second was 0 05/07/2010 BFN
FET#2 September 2010 -ET Sept 9 3-3day 4cell, 5cell hatched, 8cell. BETA#1 71.6 11DP3DT. m/c at 6weeks. Poor Chuck Norris and Jean Claude Van Dam...they put up a good fight.

IVF #2 April/May 2011 Suprefact, Pregon, Low Dose HCG. ER estimated for May 12/, transfered 1 beautiful blast and 1 nearly blast on May 17th. On .5 HCG every 3 days. None to freeze. Beta May 31 BFN. Sky and Walker continue to resist the Dark Side

IVF#3
April/May 2013 Superfact .2, Puregon 200 upped to 250, Menupur 75, HCG trigger, progesterone support, intra-lipids. 26 retrieved, 17 mature, 15 blasts (1)3AA- (14)4AD-4AA, 2 transferred on our 7th wedding anniversary. Beta: June 10th, 5 days before my birthday.

BFP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! at 1,111 second beta over 2,300. First u/s shows one bean just  day behind. Heart was fluttering away. Also showed a 2cm SCH. Not concerned, but told to take it easy. Continue with intra-lipids until week 22.banana.gif second u/s shows SCH is smaller. H/b at 142bpm. Third u/s shows tracking right on time, SCH gone and h/b at 166 bpm

Bruce Anthony Scott was born January 23, 2014 at 8:45am weighting 8 pound, 9 ounces and 21 inches long. Our hearts are bursting with love. babyboy.gif 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

#4 mcbee

mcbee
  • Global 100+
  • 357 posts
  • My Clinic:Mt Sinai Fertililty Clinic

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:16 AM

I'm not at your clinic (am at Mt Sinai in Toronto) but am currently 7 weeks pregnant from my IVF with ICSI and PGD cycle.  It was a planned freeze all cycle as my clinic  biopses the blastocysts and sends the samples to a genetics lab called Reprogenetics in the States.  Had to wait for the results and then did an FET cycle in October.

I am a carrier for a disorder called the L-1 Cam mutation which has a 25% chance of occurance in every pregancy (I lost my son Ryder at 21w5d to this disorder in 2010 and it was then we discovered I was a carrier).  Repogenetics built a test specifically for me and my husband and my disorder based on our DNA and this was what we used to test.  In addition, we also did CGH Array testing to test for chromosomal abnormalites.  I'm so thankful we did all this extra testing....in my IVF cycle, we ended up with 7 blastocysts to test.  Of the 7, 2 had the disorder, 3 they could not get a read on and 2 were normal.  From the CGH array testing, of the 7 blasts, 5 were abnormal (trisomy 18 etc) and 2 were normal.  THANKFULLY the 2 normal blasts were also the 2 who did not have the disorder.  We transfered 1 in October and I'm almost 7 weeks pregnant now!

Because of my background, we were willing to do anything to avoid losing another baby.  Losing Ryder was a terrible, heartwrenching experience and PGD allows us to not experience this again. It cost us about 7K extra (4K to build the test and 3K to test the blasts) but it was worth it.  

I'm so thankful science can allow us to have healthy babies.

Good luck!

;) sarah

• My_time likes this

Me: 39

DH: 34

Together since 2001

Dec 2008  - bfp!

Feb 2009 - missed miscarriage detected at 11wsad.png

Feb 2010 - bfp!

June 20, 2010 - severe brain damage detected

June 29, 2010 - DS Ryder was born at 21w5d, weighing 1lb, Passed away after 3 hours in my arms.  sad.png

September 2010 - bfp!

October 2010 - autopsy and genetic testing confirm Ryder's brain damage was passed on by me, as I am a genetic carrier for the L1- Cam mutation (X-linked hydrochephalus).  Has 25% chance in every pregnancy of occuringsad.png

November 2010 - CVS performed, confirmed healthy pregancybiggrin.png

May 5, 2011 - DD Brooklyn was bornbiggrin.png

IVF #1 (planned freeze all)

Aug 2012 - begin IVF journey in order to do PGD to avoid losing another baby to the genetic disorder.

June 2013 - PGD test is finally built and ready to go!

Aug 4 - 300iu Puregon started

Aug 8 - bloodwork/ultrasound, 25 mg ganirelex added, 20+ follicles growing

Aug 10 - bloodwork/ultraound

Aug 12 - bloodwork/ultrasound, puregon reduced to 200iu

Aug 13 - bloodwork/ultrasound, 7 follicles at 17mm+, 10 more close behind.  HCG trigger tonight!

Aug 14 - final bloodwork

Aug 15 - ER, ICSI....20 eggs, 18 mature.

Aug 17 - 13 fertilized, all perfectly on track.

Aug 20 - 7 made it to blastocyst and were biopsed, sent for PGD.  Praying for some to be unaffected!

Sep 3 - PGD report 2 unaffected healthy embryos!!  All systems go for SET on next AF.

FET #1

Sept 27 - start estrace and baby aspirin

Oct 8 - lining check ultrasound, lining 0.9 but a tiny amount of fluid

Oct 10 - lining check ultrasound, lining 0.94 but fluid still present, start progesterone

Oct 15 - third lining check ultrasound, lining 1.2, fluid is gone!

Oct 16 - transfer day!

Oct 22 - bfp at home!!

Oct 25 - 1st beta 85

Oct 28 - 2nd beta 524

Nov 14 - 1st ultrasound...One baby measured 7w2d with a heartbeat of 145.  Such a relief!!!

Dec 16 - genetic counselor called with results of bloodwork....its a girl!!  No chance of the genetic disorder

Dec 20 - NT scan, baby looks great, measured 12w4d 

Feb 4 - next milestone, anatomy scan!

#5 Positivity23

Positivity23
  • Global 100+
  • 172 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 06:28 PM

Thanks ladies for sharing your stories.  I definitely have my ups and downs with this whole thing.  Your stories give me hope and something to look forward to.

#6 Evanmom

Evanmom
  • Global 100+
  • 392 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:23 AM

Hi everyone, just wondering if anyone has done IVF with PGD (and had success) at TCART?  We are considering this due to genetics (I have a balanced translocation).  Just need to hear some success stories, feeling a bit down right now.

Thank you.

Hello Positivity23,

I did IVF with PGS, not PGD as my understanding is that this is done to test for a specific condition, and I do not have a specific genetic issue.  It was recommended that I do the testing because Dr. Casper felt my many negatives and a few chemical pregnancies could have been due to chromosomal abnormalities.  Anyway, I had 3 blastocysts tested.  One came back as normal which I transferred in September (unfortunately that cycle did not work).  Of the other 2 embryos tested, one of them came back as having a lethal trimosy condition and the other they could not get a reading.  Surprisingly when I went back to see Dr. Casper after the failed cycle in September, he recommended transferring both these other embryos because he said they had done some retesting on embryos that had tested as abnormal and sent them to three different labs and they found that the results were only about 60% reliable.  So he felt it was worth it to try since it was possible that my embryo was in fact normal and if it was not he assured me it would not implant as the abnormality was lethal.  He also suggested transferring the one that they could not get a reading on because we didn't know if it was normal or not.  So, I transferred them both this cycle and am in the 2ww but I am now 9dp5dt and the HPTs are negative.  I am not holding out much hope for this cycle.  Any of the previous BFPs have shown up before now and those were chemicals so the levels would have been quite low.

Anyway, I think that PGD testing is somewhat different but I would ask the doctor to give you the stats on how reliable the testing is.  I was a bit discouraged to pay for the testing and then be told that after my failed cycle that maybe the testing was wrong.  But I also didn't want to do another IVF cycle so it made sense to at least try with my two other embryos.  And for me we were not testing for a specific genetic issue.  I think I would definitely do the testing in that case.

Good luck to you!

Me: 40
No DH (Doing this on my own)
DS - already 8 years old (conceived via IUI using a donor)

Trying for number 2
May 2009 - IUI #1 - BFN
June 2009 - IUI #2 - BFP, ended in chemical/early M/C
August 2009 IUI #3 - BFN
September 2009 - Sonohysterogram shows one tube probably blocked
September 2009 - IUI # 4 - lead follicle on blocked side - BFN
October 2009 - IUI #5 - BFN
December 2009 IVF #1 - 15 eggs, 7 fertilized, transferred two 8 cell embryos - BFN
February 2010 - FET #1 eSET - grew 5 - 3 day embryos to blast, transferred 1 blast - BFN, 1 blast frozen
April 2010 - Sonohyterogram - Both tubes open and clear!!!! Must have been a muscle spasm in Sept.
May 2010 - IUI #6 - BFN
July 2010 - IVF #2 - 16 eggs, 14 mature, 12 fertilized, transferred 2 blasts - BFP, ended in chemical/early M/C - 7 blasts frozen
September 2010 - Endometrial Biopsy - nothing out of the ordinary found
October 2010 - FET #2 - transferred two blasts, BFP,but only came back at 3.4,ended in chemical/early M/C
November 2010 - FET #3 - Transferred 3 blasts BFN againsad.png
February 2011 - FET #4 eSET CANCELLED Neither blast made the thaw....

February 2011-April 2013 - took a well needed break

April 2013 - Thinking of trying again for child #2

April 2013 - Sonohysterogram -very painful, surprised to find both tubes blocked!

June/July 2013 - IVF #3  (Third time's a charm???) - 8 eggs, 6 fertilized, 4 blasts frozen

August 2013 - 3 blastocysts tested using PGS, one tested chromosomally normal, one they could not read the DNA, and one tested as having a lethal trisomy condition (but the doctor says the tests may only be about 60% reliable so it could be wrong)

September 2013 - FET #5 Transferred the one "good" embryo! BFN

November 6 2013 -  FET #6  Transferred the two other blasts on the recommendation of my doctor (Beta Nov. 20) another BFN cry.gif 

December 2013 - WTF Appointment - My doctor says it's time to stop trying with my own eggs.

March 2014 - Considering using donor eggs.

April 2014 - I have picked an egg donor from My Egg Bank.

June 2014 - Extremely stressed out about my decision, developed shingles, Dad dying of brain cancer, cancelled order for donor eggs

August 2014 - Ready to try again, picked a new donor from My Egg Bank.

October 2014 - Waiting for updated blood work results so that My Egg Bank can go ahead with embryo creation.

November, 2014 - Eggs and sperm thawed. Only one embryo made it to blastocyst stage and was frozen.  3 more eggs thawed, but no embryos made it.

December 8, 2014 - FET #7 (Donor Egg/Donor Sperm)Transferred one little embryo  

BFP!!!!!!  Estimated due date: Aug. 27, 2015

#7 Evanmom

Evanmom
  • Global 100+
  • 392 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:25 AM

P.S.  I'm sorry that I did not have a success story to share....but I know there are many people on this forum that have been successful with PGD testing so please don't let my post discourage you.

Me: 40
No DH (Doing this on my own)
DS - already 8 years old (conceived via IUI using a donor)

Trying for number 2
May 2009 - IUI #1 - BFN
June 2009 - IUI #2 - BFP, ended in chemical/early M/C
August 2009 IUI #3 - BFN
September 2009 - Sonohysterogram shows one tube probably blocked
September 2009 - IUI # 4 - lead follicle on blocked side - BFN
October 2009 - IUI #5 - BFN
December 2009 IVF #1 - 15 eggs, 7 fertilized, transferred two 8 cell embryos - BFN
February 2010 - FET #1 eSET - grew 5 - 3 day embryos to blast, transferred 1 blast - BFN, 1 blast frozen
April 2010 - Sonohyterogram - Both tubes open and clear!!!! Must have been a muscle spasm in Sept.
May 2010 - IUI #6 - BFN
July 2010 - IVF #2 - 16 eggs, 14 mature, 12 fertilized, transferred 2 blasts - BFP, ended in chemical/early M/C - 7 blasts frozen
September 2010 - Endometrial Biopsy - nothing out of the ordinary found
October 2010 - FET #2 - transferred two blasts, BFP,but only came back at 3.4,ended in chemical/early M/C
November 2010 - FET #3 - Transferred 3 blasts BFN againsad.png
February 2011 - FET #4 eSET CANCELLED Neither blast made the thaw....

February 2011-April 2013 - took a well needed break

April 2013 - Thinking of trying again for child #2

April 2013 - Sonohysterogram -very painful, surprised to find both tubes blocked!

June/July 2013 - IVF #3  (Third time's a charm???) - 8 eggs, 6 fertilized, 4 blasts frozen

August 2013 - 3 blastocysts tested using PGS, one tested chromosomally normal, one they could not read the DNA, and one tested as having a lethal trisomy condition (but the doctor says the tests may only be about 60% reliable so it could be wrong)

September 2013 - FET #5 Transferred the one "good" embryo! BFN

November 6 2013 -  FET #6  Transferred the two other blasts on the recommendation of my doctor (Beta Nov. 20) another BFN cry.gif 

December 2013 - WTF Appointment - My doctor says it's time to stop trying with my own eggs.

March 2014 - Considering using donor eggs.

April 2014 - I have picked an egg donor from My Egg Bank.

June 2014 - Extremely stressed out about my decision, developed shingles, Dad dying of brain cancer, cancelled order for donor eggs

August 2014 - Ready to try again, picked a new donor from My Egg Bank.

October 2014 - Waiting for updated blood work results so that My Egg Bank can go ahead with embryo creation.

November, 2014 - Eggs and sperm thawed. Only one embryo made it to blastocyst stage and was frozen.  3 more eggs thawed, but no embryos made it.

December 8, 2014 - FET #7 (Donor Egg/Donor Sperm)Transferred one little embryo  

BFP!!!!!!  Estimated due date: Aug. 27, 2015

#8 Positivity23

Positivity23
  • Global 100+
  • 172 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:48 PM

Thank you for sharing.  I appreciate your honesty!!!