Nutrition/diet for athletic women during ivf - Yoga, Nutrition and Fitness for Fertility - IVF.ca Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Nutrition/diet for athletic women during ivf

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 ally86

ally86
  • Global 100+
  • 241 posts
  • Interests:Training in the gym/bodybuilding
  • Dx:Cancer
  • My Clinic:Edmonton

Posted 13 October 2013 - 05:34 PM

Hi ladies,
I am hoping there are other ladies out there who have done bodybuilding or fitness competitions and IVF.
Most of the diet related stuff on here is about losing weight or trying to eat healthier etc, I am just wondering for those of you who have done "show diets" what you changed to get a successful result?
I currently am eating the same diet as competition only not measuring quantities, added more variety of fruits and veggies back and a little more starch. Eggs and chicken every day.

I typically eat more fats (nuts, avocado, coconut oil) than starch as I got out of the habit of eating lots of baked goods, etc during competition seasons.
Anyone have suggestions?

me: 27, DH- 31

DH had testicular cancer, froze semen in '08, ready to get going now

IVF 1
Oct 2013- Cd3 blood test, AF ultrasound- Count looks good, hopefully this is the first of a list of good news items.eusa_pray.gif

Oct 23 2013- SIS, looks great

Oct 24 2013- HSG- plumbing looks good, tubes are clear.

Nov 3 2013- last minute start of estrace-estrogen priming for 7 days.

Nov 11 '13- CD1

Nov 13'13- CD3 blood and baseline ultrasound- looks like a few cysts but nothing too scary. 

Nov 13 '13 -antagonist protocol with estrogen priming. Menopur- 450 

Nov 17 '13- U/s and bloodwork- LOTS of follies, most def not a low responder, added orgalutran to keep them in there a little longer.
Nov 24- trigger...

Nov 26- ER- 10 fertilized, only 9 made it past day 3....now waiting to see on Day 5. please let there be enough to complete my family.....eusa_pray.gif eusa_pray.gif eusa_pray.gif

Dec. 2- 6 made it to blast and are frozen.

Feb 3-  cd 21-starting suprefact and ASA

Feb 17-CD3 (AF was 5 days late!) start estrace and antibiotic.

March 1- lining check.

March 8 Transfer one 5 day blast.....now we wait...

March 15/16- Home pregnancy test th_abfp.gif 
March 17- beta at 95 yahoo.gif

March 19- 2nd beta 229. Looking great.

March 23- 3rd beta at 1132.

April 9- u/s showing one bean at 7 weeks 1 day.

DD born Nov 2015

#2 Ola1981

Ola1981
  • Cyclebase
  • 940 posts
  • Interests:Reading, cooking, golf, knitting
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Aurora Reproductive Care Saskatoon

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:27 AM

Hi Ally86,

When I did my first IVF, I was following the paleo diet, which basically cuts out all grains, dairy and sugar.  I was eating mostly protein, fat and vegetables with some fruit.  When my clinic gave their orientation they mentioned that we shouldn't follow a low carb diet as carbohydrates seemed important in egg development.  I ended up adding a lot more fruit and colored vegetable back in to get a bit more carb while still avoiding grains and refined sugar.  I don't know if this is helpful at all as I'm not too sure what a show diet entails.  Good luck with your cycle!

See about me for details of our journey to become parents to 2 beautiful children

#3 ally86

ally86
  • Global 100+
  • 241 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 02:16 PM

A show diet is similar to paleo. It varies by competitor but its mainly things like lean protein, low GI veggies, very little fruit, some fats and very low starch.

I eat quick oats, have added more fruits and a wider variety of veggies. I had added sweet potato and other root veggies to add more carb. kept all my nuts and avocado etc in. I try to avoid sugars except the ones naturally found in fruits, occasionally honey or sweetner (like in a coffee or tea) . 

IVF 1
Oct 2013- Cd3 blood test, AF ultrasound- Count looks good, hopefully this is the first of a list of good news items.eusa_pray.gif

Nov 11 '13- CD1

Nov 13'13- CD3 blood and baseline ultrasound- looks like a few cysts but nothing too scary. 

Nov 17 '13- U/s and bloodwork- LOTS of follies, most def not a low responder, added orgalutran to keep them in there a little longer.
Nov 24- trigger...

Nov 26- ER- 10 fertilized, only 9 made it past day 3....now waiting to see on Day 5. please let there be enough to complete my family.....eusa_pray.gif eusa_pray.gif eusa_pray.gif

March 1- lining check.

DD born Nov 2015

#4 MEW

MEW
  • Global 100+
  • 252 posts
  • Interests:Weight lifting, Ultimate frisbee, gardening, water:)
  • My Clinic:Karma

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:53 AM

Hi Ladies,

Interesting topic - before TTC I was doing the Paleo diet and doing crossfit 3X a week.  When DH and i couldn't get pregnant I started to look around the internet for answers - Through Rob wolf pod casts, I came across the "Healthy baby code" by Chris Kresser. http://healthybabycode.com

Chris details everything you need to know about nutrition pre pregnancy and during - It's essentially a Paleo diet with raw milk added.  I had no problem with my egg quality on a low carb diet - 44!:)  I've cut out Crossfit entirely and only do weight lifting now - which wasn't too hard because I hated the METCONs and loved the heavy lifting.

Me:39 38   DH:38 37 

TTC - since sept 2011

Sept 2013 -First round of Ivf

No surpression

Starting GonalF 3rd day of AF

August 24 - started GonalF 300ui, Bravelle 75iu U/S and blood work 

August 28- started Cetrotide - 0.25mg

Sept 4 - ER - 18 eggs

Sept 9 - Transfer cancelled due to mild OHSS

Freeze all 7 embies! 

Oct 14 - Natural cycle - Finally AF arrives. 

Oct 16 - Base line u/s and blood work

Oct 28 - switched to medicated cycle

Nov 3-CD21 Lupron shot

Dec 7 ET! Transfer one excellent Blast.

Dec 21 - bata  ! 1551

Jan 5 -miscarriage  at 6wks 6d

Next FET

Feb 27 - Lupron shot

March 9 - AF arrives  - start estrace

March 20 - lining check

March 28 - estimated ET

April 11 - BFN

May 9 - transfer with assisted hatching …doing a "natural" cycle. 

Chemical.

Sept 16 - Transfer with assisted hatching, 2 "Excellent" blasts.  

Sept 30 - Beta - 1150:)

Oct 2- Beta -2984:)

Oct 14, 2014 - one bean measuring 6wk6d heart rate 124 smile.png

Terrible morning sickness - acupuncture=bearable morning sickness:)

Nov 25 next U/S

Due date - June 3 GIRL!! Team pink! Who would have thought:)babygirl.gif HeartGlomp.gif

CybAm5.png

#5 Converted

Converted
  • Global 100+
  • 298 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 07 March 2014 - 03:03 PM

Thanks for the link MEW. I'm very much into fitness as well..my first pregnancy (IVF), I cooled the workouts and forced myself to eat more until I gained an extra 10 pounds. This time around, after BFing my baby, I'm 10 pounds LESS than what I was at pre-ivf weight. My first FET ended in MC and 2nd never took. So now I"m trying to gain that extra 10pounds again, doing yoga and walking daily and only doing weights 2 times a week. A big difference from what I"m used to but I'll get back into it after my next birth :)

• ally86 likes this

#6 berrymore

berrymore
  • Global 100+
  • 121 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:foothills

Posted 07 March 2014 - 06:03 PM

When DH and I started ttc, I was very much into working out. Working out 6 days a week and eating very clean. I worked very hard to gain a few pounds during the process and cut back my workouts. During this ivf cycle (my first one) I just didn't want to take anything to chance, I cut out all my workouts, just walking right now, and am still eating very healthy but am enjoying indulging in some junk when I do have a craving. I figure if ivf works out for me then a few extra pounds will all be worth it and I can start up again after and get back to my post shape

#7 MEW

MEW
  • Global 100+
  • 252 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 08:55 AM

Converted and Berrymore -

Since writing that post I've given up lifting as well - I have a friend who is a chiropractor and she is into all the latest tech - as of mid January I'm scoring in the red - and thats bad.  I would say the culmination of the miscarriage over christmas and general IVF stress has pushed me to my limit.  I've also gained 10+ pounds and its amazing how much this has affected me in a negative way - Im still eating clean but gaining.  Its depressing when your pants don't fit anymore and you're not even pregnant:(Ugh- Here's hoping this FET works.  If it doesn't I've told DH that Im taking the summer off - I plan to get back into training - do a MUD run and start playing Ultimate again…Just be "normal" for the summer.

TTC - since sept 2011

No surpression

Sept 4 - ER - 18 eggs

Freeze all 7 embies! 

Nov 3-CD21 Lupron shot

Dec 21 - bata  ! 1551

Next FET

Feb 27 - Lupron shot

March 20 - lining check

March 28 - estimated ET

April 11 - BFN

Chemical.

Nov 25 next U/S

Due date - June 3 GIRL!! Team pink! Who would have thought:)babygirl.gif HeartGlomp.gif

CybAm5.png

#8 luna123

luna123
  • Global 100+
  • 157 posts
  • Interests:Pearl Jam
  • My Clinic:RFP Calgary

Posted 11 March 2014 - 03:34 PM

Hi all, 

Before I started my (first) IVF cycle last month, I was working out 5-6 times a week (running, weight lifting, bootcamp-type classes, Olympic lifting and yoga). Once I started my stims, I cut out the high intensity classes but continued with yoga, modified weight lifting and running (slow & steady, not intervals). 

I'm currently in my 2WW (day 6... sigh) and only doing walking & yoga. Which is mildly frustrating. On one hand, I think I needed a mental break from the gym. On the other hand, it was such a good stress release & a way to keep my mind off things for an hour. 

As for my diet, I've kept it pretty much the same as before. I tended to eat on the lower carb side but I'm trying to relax some of my "food rules" to allow myself to eat pizza or cookies if that's what I want. I spent many years dieting and talking myself out of eating "bad" foods. The majority of my diet (~80% or more) includes good quality meats, fish, eggs, yogurt, vegetables, fruits and fats (from avocado and nuts).  

I stopped using protein powders and a greens powder (Genuine Health's Greens+) because the labels recommend pregnant women to consult a doctor before using. I didn't want to risk anything. 

I have probably gained 5 lbs during this process due to the drugs and slowing down exercise. When the nurse weighed me on egg retrieval day, I was only 3 lbs more than my typical weight. My clothing mostly still fits... though I'd rather wear pajama pants! 

But like berrymore said, if the procedure works, it will be worth a few weeks away from my fitness routine. And if it doesn't, I can just go back to running, lifting, etc. I might register for a half marathon or something. A new goal to distract me. 

#9 ally86

ally86
  • Global 100+
  • 241 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 08:59 PM

ahhh I am also now in my wait. Did an FET on the weekend. During stims I still worked out but more light, walking, weights but not heavy. I was converted to a freeze all and while i had to wait 2 cycles I went back to my heavy (for me) weights and made new personal records on my squat, benchpress and deadlift. While I was supressing I found that my strength came up but so did my appetite. Now that they have me on progesterone and estrogen it seems that even if I eat very "clean" focusing on veggies, lean protein, nuts etc I am still adding bodyfat in the "estrogen pattern" areas like lower abs, hips thighs. I put on about 10 lbs from October until now. Some of it may have been muscle from my time off but its def fat. The pants were a lot tighter so...booo. I know that if it works it will all be worth it, its just a hard transition going from putting energy into athletic accomplishments to being told to lay around and only do light walking. I am missing my gym family and my weights...Its making me crazy.
I am just sitting here twitching (I feel so energetic and twitchy from lack of workouts) My appetite isn't huge either as its usually my workouts that drive my appetite. I guess either way once I do my beta I can get on with something. if its BFN I will start my weights RIGHT AWAY. If its positive then at least we are moving forward...

IVF 1

Nov 11 '13- CD1

Nov 24- trigger...

March 1- lining check.

DD born Nov 2015

#10 MEW

MEW
  • Global 100+
  • 252 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:02 PM

Luna123 - congratulations on your 2ww:) The waiting is killer so try and keep yourself occupied:)

TTC - since sept 2011

No surpression

Sept 4 - ER - 18 eggs

Freeze all 7 embies! 

Nov 3-CD21 Lupron shot

Dec 21 - bata  ! 1551

Next FET

Feb 27 - Lupron shot

March 20 - lining check

March 28 - estimated ET

April 11 - BFN

Chemical.

Nov 25 next U/S

CybAm5.png

#11 MEW

MEW
  • Global 100+
  • 252 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:05 PM

ahhh I am also now in my wait. Did an FET on the weekend. During stims I still worked out but more light, walking, weights but not heavy. I was converted to a freeze all and while i had to wait 2 cycles I went back to my heavy (for me) weights and made new personal records on my squat, benchpress and deadlift. While I was supressing I found that my strength came up but so did my appetite. Now that they have me on progesterone and estrogen it seems that even if I eat very "clean" focusing on veggies, lean protein, nuts etc I am still adding bodyfat in the "estrogen pattern" areas like lower abs, hips thighs. I put on about 10 lbs from October until now. Some of it may have been muscle from my time off but its def fat. The pants were a lot tighter so...booo. I know that if it works it will all be worth it, its just a hard transition going from putting energy into athletic accomplishments to being told to lay around and only do light walking. I am missing my gym family and my weights...Its making me crazy.
I am just sitting here twitching (I feel so energetic and twitchy from lack of workouts) My appetite isn't huge either as its usually my workouts that drive my appetite. I guess either way once I do my beta I can get on with something. if its BFN I will start my weights RIGHT AWAY. If its positive then at least we are moving forward...

Ally Congratulations on your 2WW!

Oh my god - I know what you are talking about:(:(:(  I can feel my stomach right now!  I hate it - and it's just getting bigger:( I hate this estrogen!!  Yep after this FET if things don't work out hitting the weights hard:)

TTC - since sept 2011

No surpression

Sept 4 - ER - 18 eggs

Freeze all 7 embies! 

Nov 3-CD21 Lupron shot

Dec 21 - bata  ! 1551

Next FET

Feb 27 - Lupron shot

March 20 - lining check

March 28 - estimated ET

April 11 - BFN

Chemical.

Nov 25 next U/S

CybAm5.png

#12 ally86

ally86
  • Global 100+
  • 241 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:40 PM

Ally Congratulations on your 2WW!

Oh my god - I know what you are talking about:(sad.png:(  I can feel my stomach right now!  I hate it - and it's just getting bigger:( I hate this estrogen!!  Yep after this FET if things don't work out hitting the weights hard:)

Thanks. Its torturous, you just want to know already either way. This sitting here and waiting is hard! I thought I would be ok just relaxing etc but its hard! lol I wonder if estrogen inhibits muscle growth and slows metabolism? It sure feels like it does. I think i lost a couple pounds lately do to muscle atrophy....booo. There goes all my hard earned muscle..

IVF 1

Nov 11 '13- CD1

Nov 24- trigger...

March 1- lining check.

DD born Nov 2015

#13 PrairiePaddleChick

PrairiePaddleChick
  • 32 posts
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:Calgary

Posted 01 July 2014 - 12:06 AM

I just got my BFP, I figure I'm about 4weeks 3 days now. Before this cycle I was climbing, just finished a 10k race, bicycling and doing advanced yoga complete with headstands. During the first week post transfer, I cut out everything. This week, I starting cycling to work daily, 6km roundtrip (RE oked). I ran 2.5km easy yesterday. I want to go for a little more, say 5km easy and a longer bike ride. I've also started doing headstands again. How much is too much? I sort of figure if I'm feeling good, it should be ok?

I started a bacontarian diet during my 2ww. I was eating pesco-vegetarian... with bacon wrapped dates and bacon on my mashed potatoes. I normally ate everything prior to that.

#14 luna123

luna123
  • Global 100+
  • 157 posts
  • Interests:Pearl Jam
  • My Clinic:RFP Calgary

Posted 01 July 2014 - 08:31 AM

Congrats!

If your body is used to biking, you should be ok. Assuming you bike to work along a pathway, it's probably not too strenuous. Avoid mountain biking though!

Head stands are probably fine for now but as your pregnancy progresses, you may find your balance is affected and you may be more prone to falling. Also the sudden rush of blood to your head, away from the uterus, sounds like maybe they should be avoided. I would ask a yoga professional for their opinion.

I did regular yoga up until last week (currently 19w3d) because I didn't want to lie on my stomach in Cobra anymore. I also jogged as long as it felt comfortable but my pace and distance dropped a LOT and I stuck to the treadmill (easier to stop and rest if I felt bad compared to an outdoor run where you could be several km away from home).

Be careful with the bacon. Some kinds contain nitrates which are supposed to be avoided when pregnant. If you're eating a small amount per week, it's probably no big deal.