Charges For Your Chart at First Steps Fertility - First Steps Fertility - IVF.ca Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Charges For Your Chart at First Steps Fertility

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Starly

Starly
  • Just Hatched
  • 2 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Hannam

Posted 05 October 2013 - 07:06 PM

Just wanted to fill everyone on in the ridiculous charges that this clinic is now charging their clients.  I use to be their client and am seeking fertility treatment at another clinic now.  My Dr has requested my file from First steps and they are charging me 50 dollars per photocopied pages!

#2 Merry33

Merry33
  • 1000+
  • 1208 posts
  • Dx:Other

Posted 05 October 2013 - 07:10 PM

I don't think they can do that. There is no set rules about how much they can charge, but it has to be "reasonable" (as in covering the costs of the paper/printing it). I think there was a case in the news about something similar (not a fertility clinic)... If I were you I would file a complaint.

#3 Red Wine

Red Wine
  • Cyclebase
  • 2692 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 07:17 PM

Why don't you just request a copy of the chart and then give it to your new clinic and then you can make a copy for yourself.  It should not cost that much.

See about me page.

#4 gandere1

gandere1
  • Global 100+
  • 246 posts
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:T.B.D.

Posted 05 October 2013 - 07:39 PM

Hi Starly:

You may want to look at the policies listed on the website for the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario. To me that cost is unreasonable and ridiculous.

http://www.cpso.on.c...lt.aspx?ID=1686

BTW, when I asked for my medical records from First Steps, I wasn't charged. But I asked for them myself and then took them to my current clinic. Red Wine is right, you should try that route. 

• gibasgirl and Red Wine like this

Me - 45 DH - 45

#5 gibasgirl

gibasgirl
  • Site Admin
  • 13135 posts
  • Interests:I like many things, music (all kinds), tennis, photography, and languages to name a few. Ok, interior and industrial design, opera, and TV. Yes, TV, there are just so many darn good TV shows on the air. Ugh, it's hard to resist.

Posted 05 October 2013 - 08:30 PM

Are they charging $50/page or $50 for the file?

One of my former clinics charged $40, another charged nothing and the American clinic I went to said the chart belonged to them and refused my request.

It varies. Good luck.

#6 Chan

Chan
  • 21 posts
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:MFC

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:03 PM

I'm changing clinic tomorrow too...I haven't requested my chart yet because they don't know...Guess I'll see how much they want to charge me for the charts...

Where are you going to?  I'm going to MFC.

Chan

#7 Positivity23

Positivity23
  • Global 100+
  • 172 posts
  • Dx:Genetic

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:47 PM

How long is the wait time at MFC?

Me: 32, DH: 34

#8 gibasgirl

gibasgirl
  • Site Admin
  • 13135 posts
  • Interests:I like many things, music (all kinds), tennis, photography, and languages to name a few. Ok, interior and industrial design, opera, and TV. Yes, TV, there are just so many darn good TV shows on the air. Ugh, it's hard to resist.

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:26 PM

How long is the wait time at MFC?

It depends on which doctor you want to see.

There is a 9-month wait to see Dr. Virro, but much less time to see Dr. Garcia.

It is a very special place regardless of who you see.

#9 Chan

Chan
  • 21 posts
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:MFC

Posted 09 November 2013 - 11:03 PM

Last I heard, it Dr. Virro had a wait time of 9 months.  Yikes!  Too long for people who don't have the luxury of waiting.

Dr. Virro refused to see me because the wait time was too long so I guess his wait time when I called was more than 9 months.  I had to wait 2 months to see Dr. Garcia.

• gibasgirl and My_time like this

#10 lmtb

lmtb
  • Just Hatched
  • 2 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:Astra

Posted 17 January 2014 - 03:24 PM

I was charged $50 for the charts as well and to be honest I was expecting it from First Steps as that's what they are (money grabbers). I felt like it was worth it to escape them. I just affirmed that I was doing the right thing in leaving (and I've been SO HAPPY at my new clinic).