Hospital Charges for IPs Out-Of-Province/Out-Of-Country - Donor & Surrogacy Buddies - IVF.ca Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Hospital Charges for IPs Out-Of-Province/Out-Of-Country

Surrogacy Intended Parents Cost

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jalara

jalara
  • Cyclebase
  • 464 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 26 September 2013 - 10:32 PM

I was wondering if anyone could share the costs of the birth and hospital stay for the baby in the provinces they have dealt with? Or share what you know about the charges?

Thanks so much!

#2 MeAgain

MeAgain
  • 1000+
  • 1374 posts
  • Dx:Endometriosis
  • My Clinic:#1Heartland...#2 OFC

Posted 27 September 2013 - 08:24 AM

I am in Ontario. It was free to give birth and stay in hospital. Not really sure what you are asking though.. LOL..

Should I happen to give birth in Manitoba, OHIP covers my medical. (Out of province)
Me: 39. DH 43 TTC:18 yrs DX: stage 4 endo @ 20 yrs old.FSH- 10-12DH - fine 7 corrective surgeries for endo & blocked tubes open 5 ectopics (natural) (cilia in tubes do not work) IVF #1 ... 2 Grade C 8cell - one healthy baby boy!! 2 frozen 4cell and 6cell- Grade BEctopic (natural)2004 - 8 weeks pg - tube exploded - internal bleeding - surgery - other tube closed Feb 2012 - FET - no transfer IVF# 2 (OFC) March 15 2013- 300iu, cetrotide, hcgONE mature follicle - no fertilization.

July 2013 - EPP - BFN
November - 2013 - EPP - One follicle, one egg, natural fertilization = BFP!!

#3 jalara

jalara
  • Cyclebase
  • 464 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 10:50 AM

I am in Ontario. It was free to give birth and stay in hospital. Not really sure what you are asking though.. LOL..

Should I happen to give birth in Manitoba, OHIP covers my medical. (Out of province)

It is free for the GS but not necessarily for the baby when the IPs are out OOP or International.

#4 Duck

Duck
  • Cyclebase
  • 1851 posts
  • Dx:Endometriosis
  • My Clinic:Repromed

Posted 27 September 2013 - 06:29 PM

All provinces except Quebec have agreements with the provinces so they will cover med costs out of province.
No idea about international as in Ontario the baby is issued an ohip number when born

Diagnosed with endometrosis at age 19

5 pelvic surgeries

2 IVF, numerous FETs

2 different gestational carriers

Now mother of 2 year old twins.

#5 jalara

jalara
  • Cyclebase
  • 464 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 07:27 PM

I should clarify why I'm asking. This article is mainly about international IPs, but also states:

"At Quinte Health Care, which runs four hospitals in Belleville, Ont., and surrounding area, administrators developed a policy on the issue last summer after seeing increasing numbers of surrogate births, said Susan Rowe, a Quinte spokeswoman.

If the intended parents are from another province, their government plan will be billed $388 a day for basic post-natal care, she said. If the parents are from another country, the charge is $720 a day, a standard fee for foreign patients, said Ms. Rowe.

We are a taxpayer-funded institution, and we have to make sure we maximize revenues,” she said."

So that hospital bills the IPs home province, but :

"The Grand River Hospital in Kitchener, Ont., will charge intended parents from outside the province unless the baby stays in Ontario for at least three months — the residency requirement to be covered under medicare, said spokesman Mark Karjaluoto."

So this has lead me to ask what other hospitals have similar policies.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Surrogacy, Intended Parents, Cost