• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Other1/2IVF

Other1/2IVF
  • 3 posts
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:McGill

Posted 11 September 2013 - 10:36 PM

I accompanied my wife on every appointment she had at MRC (now called Originelle). I have to say she was silently tolerant of the issues we encountered at that clinic! I, on the other hand, had to bite hard on my tongue not to say something...

But now, I have to just vent about why we had to high-tail it away from MRC/Orgininelle...

- Waiting for Dr. Tan was like watching paint dry... long and boring (he had promised us faster service if we left McGill and went to his private clinic. So, we took the bait and, boy, were we wrong!! It's even a longer wait at MRC/Orginelle than at McGill - well, we're back at McGIll now and so happy!)

- Talking to Dr. Tan is like finger nails scratching on a chalk board... irritating. There was something about the way he spoke with us that made us feel uncomfortable about our choice of him as our fertility doctor.

- Ultrasound techs kept asking the same historical medical questions... why not just look it up in my wife's history before asking?!

- Dr. Tan NEVER remembered details of our case (ok, with lots of patients I can understand), but don't ask us to refresh your memory! Read our file that's in front of your face doctor!! Plus, it wastes time if he has to always look up your file and ask you your history - this cuts into your Q&A time and he then rushes you out.

- Forget about asking Dr. Tan about the side effects of potential medications... he'll just tell you to look it up in the blue book or on the internet - seriously, what kind of doctor tells you this? It's not very professional and in fact, it's downright lazy! Are we suppose to look it up ourselves and interpret the medical jargon correctly? A basic list of the typical side effects would have been helpful but he couldn't even do that! 

- Dr. Tan was away a lot so he was not present to review our file - he relied too much on his staff to fill-in the details and that wasn't good enough for us! We needed to know that any doctor is really mindful of our case and not just looking at us like another number. It's not too much to ask for doctor who remembers your main infertility issue, is it??

- The clinic doesn't have enough medical staff to cover when Dr Tan is away - scheduling wasn't always convenient to us. Unlike other clinics that are open almost every day of the year, this clinic is usually closed over the holidays and one time they made us reschedule because of the lack of doctor availability.

- Turns out that Alper Mumcu is not a licensed doctor in Canada and he should not have done an IUI on my wife! (I'm considering filing a complaint with the medical board)

- And from what I hear from my wife's friend who still goes there (she apparently sees another doctor there) that the staff has changed a lot; She said her original coordinator has left and some of the excellent nurses are gone too. Everyone seems to be new and inexperienced. [Usually a high staff turnover means internal issues]

(And what's with that creepy fake tree in the stairway??!! Seriously, it's ugly and doesn't give any sense of calmness - lol)

th_aggahhh.gif  I needed to do that! Ahhh... good to get that off my chest! 

We've been through a lot just like all of you here have been too. It just frustrates me to see how complacent this clinic/doctor seems to be with patients....

#2 ebonyglare

ebonyglare
  • Global 100+
  • 451 posts
  • Dx:PCOS
  • My Clinic:MRC/McGill

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:38 AM

I'm glad I'm not the only one who wonders about that tree! I'm baffled by why they chose orange for their chair colours. I'm with Dr D and the impression I get is that he has much better people skills - even if he is a little forgetful.

What IS Alper Mumcu? Is he at least a nurse?

I'm sorry your experience was so unpleasant. Every clinic had its pros and cons and ultimately you need to be comfortable with the level of care you're receiving - regardless of other people's experiences with the same clinic.

I hope your next clinic is less stressful for you both. :)

February 2014 - A pleasant surprise!

See About Me page for the details :)

#3 Other1/2IVF

Other1/2IVF
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:10 AM

hahaha that tree is like something from a haunted forest! hahaha

I'm sure there are others who have had good and negative experiences there, but I really needed to give my opinion of the clinic. And there are some really nice people there - I really liked our coordinator, nurse and the embryologists. The others just spoiled it for us.

We are now at McGill and so far we really like the doctor and nurses we deal with... and make sure we avoid Dr Tan when we go there wink.png

Alper is the executive director at MRC. He is medically trained but from Turkey (see his website: http://www.mumcu.com/html/)

However, someone else here posted that he isn't licensed. I also went to the College of Physician website (http://bottin.cmq.or...ex.aspx?lang=en) and entered his name - no result found, so he must not be licensed to practice in Canada. According to the CMQ, it's illegal to practice without a permit and one of the activities restricted to licensed physicians is:

7. use techniques or apply treatments that are invasive or present a risk of harm

I would think that an IUI is "invasive"!

#4 popcorn

popcorn
  • Global 100+
  • 219 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:McGill/MFC

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:55 AM

Just FYI, my IUIs at MRC were done by the nurses.

<p><span style="color:#000000;"><strong>Me: 40 Him: 37</strong></span></p><p><span style="color:#000000;"><strong>started fertility treatments in 2012</strong></span></p><p><span style="color:#000000;"><strong>IUI #1 BFN</strong></span></p><p><span style="color:#000000;"><strong>IUI #2 cancelled</strong></span></p><p><span style="font-size:14px;">Polypectomy.</span></p><p><span style="font-size:14px;color:rgb(0,0,0);"><strong>IVF #1 </strong></span><strong><span style="color:#000000;">BFN</span></strong></p><p><span style="font-size:14px;color:rgb(0,0,0);"><strong>IVF #2 </strong></span><span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="color:#000000;"><strong>BFN</strong></span></span></p><p><span style="font-size:14px;">"Spontaneous" </span><span style="font-size:14px;color:rgb(0,0,0);"><strong>BFP.</strong></span><span style="font-size:14px;">  Miscarriage. </span></p><p><span style="font-size:14px;color:rgb(0,0,0);"><strong>IUI #3</strong></span><span style="font-size:14px;"> <span style="color:#000000;"><strong>BFN</strong></span></span></p><p><span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="color:#000000;"><strong>IUI #4 BFN</strong></span></span></p><p>Nov 2013: Osteopath treatment to 'correct' retroverted uterus</p><p>Jan 10 2014: 'Spontaneous' <span style="color:#000000;"><strong>BFP</strong></span></p><p>Viability u/s: Feb 4: Not good. HB but embryo measuring 1.5 weeks behind.</p><p>March 13 u/s diagnosed with missed miscarriage. Had to take misoprostol.</p><p>Jan 2015:</p><p><strong>IVF #3 BFN</strong> transferred two blasts, froze two more</p><p><strong>IVF #3 FET BFP</strong>, but MC at 8 weeks</p><p><strong>DE IVF #1</strong> in Zlin, Czech Republic. 2 blasts transferred, 4 more frozen</p><p>BFP, and it's twins!

#5 Other1/2IVF

Other1/2IVF
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 10:09 AM

I didn't know nurses could do IUIs... there was a nurse in and out of the room but she didn't assist

Alper isn't a registered nurse... as far as I know

#6 Evelyne

Evelyne
  • 6 posts
  • Dx:Endometriosis
  • My Clinic:Royal victoria

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:03 AM

OMG , ur story sounds exactly like mine !!!! Unbelievable 😡except i have to add a comment !!! On my last IVF , I had to wait at the clinic to get a answer cause they was a problem with my u/s . It was on a wednesday and they was NO doctors available at the clinic to answer this simple question and they were all at other clinic !!! So got stress out for hours not knowing if my cycle was cancelledl !!!! Its like if u go to st-hubert and they dont have chicken !!! How can they be no doctor in a clinic !!! Finally got a answer 5 hours later !!! When we go tru ivf the last thing we need is the stress , we need to be relaxed !!! So yes i blame this on the stress i had that day maybe if i didnt get that i would of had a +
Got that off my chest !!!!
Evelyne

#7 gracegirl

gracegirl
  • 1000+
  • 1160 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:21 PM

It's stories like this that make me love my clinic even more. So sorry you had such a hard time.

#8 Lisa1981

Lisa1981
  • Cyclebase
  • 1698 posts
  • Interests:Getting my sanity back
  • Dx:Endometriosis
  • My Clinic:N/A at the moment

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:58 PM

Sorry to read you had a bad experience at MRC. It must have been very stresfull. Hopefully things will be better for the both of you at McGill.

I'm also at MRC (with Dr D) and I'm quite happy there (after trying McGill and MFC). I've dealt with Dr Tan on a couple of occasion (Dr D wasnt on duty) and I've had no issues.

Me: 33 - DH: 36

July 2012: referred to Ottawa fertility center
August 2012: Test results are back
High FSH, Low AFC (only 6)
Endo (duuuh) & DOR  (great....)

And may has well make it a trio...male factor (motility)

After 2 failed IUIs, 5 Failed IVF:

Trying on our own until spring come's along... 

Feb 09: A little Miracle, a natural BFP. Praying it sticks around for 9 months.

Feb 11: Beta 25 (yikes)- P4: 47 oh boy, put on progesterone

Feb 13: Beta 86 - P4: 144

Feb 18: Beta 544 - P4: 96

Feb 20: Beta 1128 - P4: 81... increased progesterone to 600mg

Feb 24: Beta 1608 - P4: 100... oh boy, not looking promissing

Feb 25: Beta: 1942 (no P4) at another hospital.. ok, looking better... U/S: sac and yolk. Nothing else.

March 04: HB 115. Problem: Sac is small... repeat u/s next week

March 14: U/S , HB (abdominal) 167bpm (internal) 158bpm. Problem: Sac still small, reapeat u/s in 10 days..

March 24: U/S confirmed no HB.. stop progesterone. M/C that same evening

#9 Heregoesnothing

Heregoesnothing

Heregoesnothing

• Cyclebase
  • 1416 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Canada

Posted 12 September 2013 - 04:05 PM

So sorry to hear your bad experience!  Though your post is kind of amusing!  I called MRC and never got past making a first appointment!  They were so disorganized!  I had to email them my past files and tests ect... they lost it twice!  So, that was that.  The lady was supposed to call me back and she never did.  Do you have any idea how long it took me to scan all those stupid test results!!!!  

I ended up choosing Procea b/c they had no wait times.  It doesn't seem like a popular choice, but I had no issues with them what so ever...  and they gave helped me to conceive my beautiful baby boy...  

Good luck to you and your wife!  You guys are lucky b/c in Montreal, you have many clinic options.   It's so important to find the one that you can trust and that suits your needs.  

May 2013 - We welcome our baby boy 

Nov. 28th 2015 - We welcome our baby girl

3 day 3 embryos on ice 

For a more detailed look on my cycles, visit my 'about me' page

#10 Maxwells_Mum

Maxwells_Mum
  • 49 posts
  • My Clinic:The Montreal Fertility Centre

Posted 21 October 2013 - 02:44 PM

Wow. I just came across this and we had such a horrible experience with Dr. Tan that I thought it was just me.... I guess not. I went there initially in late 2012 to do all my tests, as I got an appointment right away. I never ever saw the dr. until everything is done (compared to MFC this should have been my red flag).

Anyways, once everything was all said and done, we had our meeting with Dr. Tan. So unprofessional, he was checking his blackberry more than we was actually talking to us, breaking the news that there is an issue should be done delicately and with some compassion, this wasn't the case. He was in between texts as he was telling us, his assistant was there it was annoying.

I looked at my husband and said we are never going back. I paid the $60 to have my file photocopied and we high tailed it straight to Dr. Mahutte who was so much better. Everything about the MFC was just better, and it feels like they care.

Good riddance to Dr. Tan, i would never go there again.

"Try your best, forget the rest" TTC Since November 2011heart.gif heart.gif After 3 rounds of IVF (2 fresh, 1 frozen), Maxwell  babyboy.gif was born on via a fresh cycle {5dt, single embryo transfer}  on May 17, 2014!   heart.gif  heart.gif Project Sibling -FET September 2015 - BFN Next round of IVF - started Feb 4
Egg collection Feb 17
5 Day Transfer Feb 22 - 1 embryo
2 embryos have been frozen

#11 Maxwells_Mum

Maxwells_Mum
  • 49 posts
  • My Clinic:The Montreal Fertility Centre

Posted 22 October 2015 - 01:17 PM

Just got an email from OriginElle essentially fishing for new patients. Left them a LONG time ago.
Did a quick goole about this horrible place and found this:

Mr. Gaétan Barette, Minister of Health and Social Services, would like to inform the public that the permit for the assisted reproduction centre called OriginElle, Clinique de fertilité et centre de santé de la femme inc. was not renewed on July 18, 2014.

Out of concern for the needs of this clinic's current clients, the Agence de la santé et des services sociaux de Montréal (the Montreal Agency) has taken steps to transfer some of this clinic's activities to other assisted reproduction centres in the Montreal region.

I know forums like these can help future couples who are researching valuable info, and do not go to this place. What a disaster!

http://www.santemont...s[tt_news]=1024

"Try your best, forget the rest" TTC Since November 2011heart.gif heart.gif After 3 rounds of IVF (2 fresh, 1 frozen), Maxwell  babyboy.gif was born on via a fresh cycle {5dt, single embryo transfer}  on May 17, 2014!   heart.gif  heart.gif Project Sibling -FET September 2015 - BFN Next round of IVF - started Feb 4
Egg collection Feb 17
5 Day Transfer Feb 22 - 1 embryo
2 embryos have been frozen