Ontario Help- Agency, Practitioner, or Individual?? - Adoption Buddies - IVF.ca Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Ontario Help- Agency, Practitioner, or Individual??

adoption

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 AdeleC

AdeleC
  • 47 posts
  • Dx:PCOS
  • My Clinic:One Fertility

Posted 26 August 2013 - 04:34 PM

Hi all,

My husband and I are going to do one more round of FET then we will most likely be calling the ART process quits.  We have always been very open to adoption- however felt I wanted to give having a biological child a shot prior to making our final decision.  Well we are almost there, and I am starting to do my research.

I'm hoping to sign up for the Adoption Council of Ontario's webinar on September 10th which I believe will give me a good idea of what to expect. 

I've done some research into PRIDE and the homestudy, however my big question that I'm struggling with is what are the pro's and con's of an adoption agency, an adoption practicitioner, and an individual?

Is one or the other more appropriate for different types of adoption?  At this point, we are looking at private and/or international.

Any insight or information you could provide me would be fabulous- I have gone on various websites of all of the above and am struggling with who offers what, and how you do your research on what suits each situation best.

Me: 27 DH: 29

February 2013- IUI #1

Ended w/ 166 Puregon & microdose of hCG

45 Cycle Days but finally one good follie!

IUI April 4, 2013

... BFN April 18th. sad.png

April 26 - IUI #2

No AF after 25po, Docs don't know why, but lining is thin again so switching to Menopur.

75 > 112.5 > 150 > 187.5 > 225 > 263.5 of Menopur > 263.5 of Menopur & 200 of Puregon

CD 30- Cancelled my cycle, but then call me and estrogen surges.  Cycle back on. 

CD 32-  8 follicles

CD 33- 19 follicles... Surprise!  Switching to IVF?!!  Add in Orgalutron. 

CD 36- 29 follicles and so sore... Trigger shot.

June 1- Retrieval- Sedation didn't work and went through the most painful hour of my life.  Left ovary blocked by bowel, so only right retrieved.  OHSS...  8 Eggs, 6 mature- ICSI for all 6.

June 4- Transfer 2 Grade 4 embryos, 4 frozen (3 Grade 4s and 1 Grade 3)  More OHSS.

... BFN June 15th sad.png

July 26- FET #1

After a 6 week break, my body is somewhat back to normal.

4 > 6 > 8 > 16mg of Estrace

CD 16 - Add in Endometrin x3 Daily

August 15 Trasfer- 2 Embryos; One Grade 4 Morula & a 3-Cell Grade 4 (most cells died in the thaw)

... BFN August 26th sad.png    AF finally arrived after 2.5 years!

September 3 - FET #2

12 mg of Estrace and began Acupuncture

CD 18- Finally @ 8mm begin Progesterone

CD 23- Transfer day- 1 Morula & a 3 cell!  Acupunture before and after.

... BFN October 7th sad.png

Clinic approves us for a gestational carrier in late November!

December - February  Medical and pysch testing and approvals

March- Finished legal

April 9, 2014 - IVF (Gestational Carrier)

GC- CD 1: Starts on Superfact and BC

Me- CD 3: 75 Puregon and 75 Menopur

CD 8: Me 100 Puregon and 75 Menopur, GC starts Estrace

CD 22: Me 250 Puregon, 75 Menopur, x2 Orgalutron - 22 Follicles!

April 28- Egg Retrieval, GC starts Progesterone - 14 Retrieved.  11 Mature and 11 Fertilized.

April 30- Down to 9 embryos and decide to grow to Day 5

May 2- Transferred one 4BB blastocyst into our Surrogate.  5 more growing to blasts (until Day 6)

May 3- 4 of the 5 Embryos arrested.... only 1 left to freeze (3BC) sad.png

... BFN... again.  sad.png   May 15th

May 21st- WTF appointment and next steps.

#2 Tilly

Tilly
  • 73 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Adoption Options

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:27 AM

Hi AdeleC,

Sorry, I can't give you any advice as I am based in Alberta and don't really know how the system works over there. Hopefully someone will chime in soon.

Just wanted to wish you luck on your continued journey.

Me: 35 DH: 40
Married: 1999
TTC: 10+ years

Private adoption waiting list: April 2012

#3 s00n

s00n
  • 1000+
  • 1247 posts
  • Interests:Him- Potential SA issues Me- PCOS like crazy/anovulation/long cycles. Started TTC before 30.TTC/Secondary Infertility(2008-2015) - Adopted from public system in Ontario 2012.Freeze-All IVF after OHSS, and successful FET 2015 @ 36Yrs Old.
  • My Clinic:OFC

Posted 29 August 2013 - 03:29 PM

Absolutely, if you're adopting internationally, you need to go through an agency that handles your selected country.

Public is CAS adoption (go to an info session in your area to check it out) - they will use their practitioners.

If you want to adopt privately (infant) then you can go through the private process with an agency, or practitioner.

You will need to take PRIDE training (funded by CAS if you're adopting publicly, otherwise funded by you through your agency or practitioner) and the SAFE home study.

One of the most recent talked about trends in adoption literature and conferences is that with adoption the focus is finding a family for a child (and not a child for a family) although with private adoption the focus is on finding a child for you.

The process is rewarding whatever you choose to go with.

Parenting through adoption will always be different than parenting by birth, but also with many similarities.  It's not a solution to infertility it's a solution to family building.

Our family looked in to all kinds of adoption, but ultimately we were most comfortable with public (because parental rights were terminated, and we wouldn't go through a situation of the child potentially coming into and then leaving our family) and because we weren't dead set on having a newborn (nor was it the preference for adoption.)

Go to http://www.canadaado.../ultimatebb.cgi for more information and talk groups.

You will see there are streams for private, public, and international adoption.

You will find what seems to be the best match for your family, no doubt.

Disclaimer- we adopted publicly, and I'm a strong proponent of the public system.  My comments will often be biased in that direction.  There's a lot of great support on this board too.

• trying4apositive likes this
See my about me page for details on our IF journey including adoption and other avenues.

#4 s00n

s00n
  • 1000+
  • 1247 posts
  • Interests:Him- Potential SA issues Me- PCOS like crazy/anovulation/long cycles. Started TTC before 30.TTC/Secondary Infertility(2008-2015) - Adopted from public system in Ontario 2012.Freeze-All IVF after OHSS, and successful FET 2015 @ 36Yrs Old.

Posted 29 August 2013 - 03:43 PM

Sorry about your BFN and good luck with your last FET also.

See my about me page for details on our IF journey including adoption and other avenues.

#5 BrandyM

BrandyM
  • Global 100+
  • 586 posts
  • Interests:Spending time with our beautiful daughter, walking our dogs, reading, scrapbooking, travel and horse back riding :)
  • My Clinic:Children's Bridge

Posted 31 August 2013 - 07:34 PM

We chose to go the private route because we did want a newborn and an open adoption. Our reasoning was we are young and we wanted to have the full experience by raising a child from a newborn, we also highly value our daughter's birthmom and want to have her involved in all of our lives. Each couple is different you just need to figure out what will work for your family :)

Me: 29
DH: 30
8 years TTC
3 rounds of IUI and nothing

May 2011 Started our adoption paperwork
Dec. 2011- Officially matched to adopt domestically biggrin.png
Jan. 19th 2012- Beautiful baby Brooklyn was born! Love at first sight biggrin.png

Sept. 2013- Back on the list to adopt domestically!!! (waiting patiently, haha, or not!)

Aug. 3rd 2016- Our darling little Inuk baby Bristol was born Emoticons01015.gif

#6 nervus optimist

nervus optimist
  • Super Moderator
  • 2677 posts
  • Dx:Genetic
  • My Clinic:newlife

Posted 01 September 2013 - 06:16 PM

we did our PRIDE training and homestudy privately - this gave us the ability to apply both for private and CAS adoption and to have everything ready without having to wait for CAS waitlist to have time to do our homestudy. 

in terms of logistics, there are 3 types of adoption, international, private and CAS.  if you are applying for international you are not able to apply for any domestic adoption private or CAS because your international application will have gone through multiple steps of government approvals and if you are matched internationally there is a long wait time, but you can't get matched domestically in that time, so if you are applying internationally as others have said you need to work with an agency that works with the country you've chosen and do homestudy and paperwork with them.  you can't even apply to more than one international country at the same time.

PRIDE is the same (more or less, it's regulated) for all 3 types of adoption so one option is to do PRIDE first either privately if you don't want to wait, or through CAS, and then decide.  in the course they will explain the different types of adoption, the process for each, risk factors to consider in each type etc.  we did PRIDE privately and it helped us decide what we were interested in applying for and that doing private homestudy was the best choice for us.

the adoption council seminar also gives great info on the different types of adoption and processes - we went straight to PRIDE because we were certain we wanted to adopt, just needed to figure out which route - the adoption council workshops are helpful at an even earlier stage if you're thinking about it and not sure if it's right for you or not.

best of luck in your cycle, and in your adoption journey.  many will say it is more challenging than IF treatments, I wouldn't say more, just different, but definitely super challenging. also, many will say with respect to adoption 'at least I know that in the end I will definitely be a mom' I can say from my experience and from many others I know, that is not necessarily the case, just as with IF treatments there is uncertainty, there is uncertainty with adoption as well, but of course both routes can bring great joy to the families that are successful - just wanted to put it out there.

:flowers:

• RainbowsPromise likes this

I am 38, DH - 39
Genetic - IVF&PGD to prevent Genetic Disorder
IVF #1 - Nov/08 - MC @ 6 weeks, no embryos frozen
IVF #2 - Aug/09 - bfn
IUI #1 - Feb/10 - ectopic
PRIDE - Apr/10
Homestudy - July/10
Given the gift of donor embryos - Jan/12
Donor FET Jun/12 - 9 weeks - no heartbeat... MC
Donor FET Oct/12 - we're PG biggrin.png

===> Beautiful baby boy born 2013 babyboy.gif

Donor FET Oct/16 - chemical

April 2017 - surprise PG

===> Beautiful baby girl born 2017 babygirl.gif

#7 s00n

s00n
  • 1000+
  • 1247 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 08:53 AM

Best of luck with your last treatment.

Brandy put something important forward - open adoptions are very much the way going forward, these days.  And if you are hoping to raise a child from infancy, private adoption is a great route!

Openness can mean letters, or it can mean visits.  Openness means knowing details about birth parents, all the way to direct contact.

Some public adoptions including ours are open and include contact.  Most CAS's (and many birth moms in private adoption) want adoptive parents to be ready to take on openness and support it.

#8 AdeleC

AdeleC
  • 47 posts
  • My Clinic:One Fertility

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:34 PM

Thanks for all of your informative and supportive words!  Lots to research.

Me: 27 DH: 29

February 2013- IUI #1

Ended w/ 166 Puregon & microdose of hCG

45 Cycle Days but finally one good follie!

IUI April 4, 2013

... BFN April 18th. sad.png

April 26 - IUI #2

No AF after 25po, Docs don't know why, but lining is thin again so switching to Menopur.

75 > 112.5 > 150 > 187.5 > 225 > 263.5 of Menopur > 263.5 of Menopur & 200 of Puregon

CD 30- Cancelled my cycle, but then call me and estrogen surges.  Cycle back on. 

CD 32-  8 follicles

CD 33- 19 follicles... Surprise!  Switching to IVF?!!  Add in Orgalutron. 

CD 36- 29 follicles and so sore... Trigger shot.

June 1- Retrieval- Sedation didn't work and went through the most painful hour of my life.  Left ovary blocked by bowel, so only right retrieved.  OHSS...  8 Eggs, 6 mature- ICSI for all 6.

June 4- Transfer 2 Grade 4 embryos, 4 frozen (3 Grade 4s and 1 Grade 3)  More OHSS.

... BFN June 15th sad.png

July 26- FET #1

After a 6 week break, my body is somewhat back to normal.

4 > 6 > 8 > 16mg of Estrace

CD 16 - Add in Endometrin x3 Daily

August 15 Trasfer- 2 Embryos; One Grade 4 Morula & a 3-Cell Grade 4 (most cells died in the thaw)

... BFN August 26th sad.png    AF finally arrived after 2.5 years!

September 3 - FET #2

12 mg of Estrace and began Acupuncture

CD 18- Finally @ 8mm begin Progesterone

CD 23- Transfer day- 1 Morula & a 3 cell!  Acupunture before and after.

... BFN October 7th sad.png

Clinic approves us for a gestational carrier in late November!

December - February  Medical and pysch testing and approvals

March- Finished legal

April 9, 2014 - IVF (Gestational Carrier)

GC- CD 1: Starts on Superfact and BC

Me- CD 3: 75 Puregon and 75 Menopur

CD 8: Me 100 Puregon and 75 Menopur, GC starts Estrace

CD 22: Me 250 Puregon, 75 Menopur, x2 Orgalutron - 22 Follicles!

April 28- Egg Retrieval, GC starts Progesterone - 14 Retrieved.  11 Mature and 11 Fertilized.

April 30- Down to 9 embryos and decide to grow to Day 5

May 2- Transferred one 4BB blastocyst into our Surrogate.  5 more growing to blasts (until Day 6)

May 3- 4 of the 5 Embryos arrested.... only 1 left to freeze (3BC) sad.png

... BFN... again.  sad.png   May 15th

May 21st- WTF appointment and next steps.

#9 SGD

SGD
  • 1000+
  • 1005 posts
  • My Clinic:First Dr. Hannam and now Dr. Auyeung

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:55 AM

We chose to go the private route because we did want a newborn and an open adoption. Our reasoning was we are young and we wanted to have the full experience by raising a child from a newborn, we also highly value our daughter's birthmom and want to have her involved in all of our lives. Each couple is different you just need to figure out what will work for your family smile.png

Hi, I guess I'm just now starting to realize that a natural child may never happen for us.

We will start looking into adoption in the new year.

We want a newborn, which I know will be harder but it's something we feel strongly about.

Would love to hear about your process. I have no idea where to start.

See About Me page 

#10 BrandyM

BrandyM
  • Global 100+
  • 586 posts
  • Interests:Spending time with our beautiful daughter, walking our dogs, reading, scrapbooking, travel and horse back riding :)

Posted 13 September 2013 - 12:20 PM

Basically for us we started with Pride and our homestudy at the same time (we paid to do the homestudy privately as well since we knew we were not going with CAS). All of that took about 6 or 7 months to get everything in order, then we signed up with our agency in September 2011 and we were matched in December :D  Our match happened pretty quickly, so just know that it can take a couple years to find a match. We just got lucky and we were exactally what our daughters birthmom was looking for.

8 years TTC

Jan. 19th 2012- Beautiful baby Brooklyn was born! Love at first sight biggrin.png

Sept. 2013- Back on the list to adopt domestically!!! (waiting patiently, haha, or not!)

#11 LKT1975

LKT1975
  • Global 100+
  • 210 posts
  • My Clinic:Markham Fertility Centre

Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:25 PM

Hi,

We have 2 more rounds of FET ahead of us. The first one being at the end of November...hopefully.

Having said that, we are also thinking of adoption. We want 2 kids and I'm afraid even if one round of FET works, the second round won't.

My question is...do you have to deal with the CAS in your area? I live in York Region and they seem to want couples who are willing to deal with older children (over 3) with special needs. We want to go with the public adoption route first.

As this may be our first and only child, we would prefer a younger child.

Thoughts? We have chosen not to be public about this yet so I don't have too many people I can talk to about this.

Thanks!

#12 BrandyM

BrandyM
  • Global 100+
  • 586 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 07:46 PM

Any CAS in Ontario is basically only accepting applications for older children. Ottawa wont even put you on a waiting list unless you want a child 5 or older. Basically the only way to adopt a younger child would be privately.

8 years TTC

#13 LKT1975

LKT1975
  • Global 100+
  • 210 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 06:38 AM

Hmm...we want to start with public first. If the remaining treatments do not work, we may look at private adoption. I assume it's the same cost in Ottawa. From what I read on the website, it's roughly $15-20K.

Thanks for the feedback.

#14 Jo1984

Jo1984
  • Cyclebase
  • 451 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 29 October 2013 - 06:03 PM

We fostered-to-adopt an happy, healthy 11month old boy. He has been in our home for 2months and the adoption paperwork is well on its way. You CAN adopt infants through public.
DX PCOS and slight male factor
6 cycles clomiid
2 failed IVFs

Moved onto to Adoption via CAS
Homestudy/Pride Jan 2012
Matched(foster to adopt program) July 2013 to our little man he is the light of our life!

So blessed :-)

#15 LKT1975

LKT1975
  • Global 100+
  • 210 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 12:16 PM

Thanks Jo!

My friend knows 2 people who also went through public adoption and ended up adopting infants as well. I guess my first step is to get our application accepted :)

#16 BrandyM

BrandyM
  • Global 100+
  • 586 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 12:54 PM

Pretty much :) All areas are different, if your in a less populated area you might have a better chance through public to adopt a "baby", I just know from experience in Ottawa, all areas are run different.

• Joam likes this

8 years TTC

#17 mmorton

mmorton
  • Cyclebase
  • 544 posts
  • Interests:I love my 2 dogs and enjoy going for walks. I also travel whenever I get the chance.
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Ottawa Fertility Centre

Posted 14 January 2014 - 11:37 AM

Hey!!!  Just wanted to jump in and say we've started our process with the Kingston CAS and because our daughter is only 14mths, they're actually pushing the newborn on us.  They said they adopted 50 newborn babies last year in the "Foster with a view to Adopt" program.  I can't speak for any other CAS's.

• Jo1984 likes this
Me:33 DH:35
Sept/11- IVF Cancelled b/c of no sperm
1/26/12- Called the clinic and they found sperm in recent SA :)
2/10/12- DH had 57M 5%Morph in Retrograde SA. IVF is a go!!!
2/12/12- Called in CD1 on Long Protocol
2/13/12- Start BCP
2/25/12- Start Suprefact
3/9/12- Down Reg Check
3/9/12- Start Puregon
3/23/12- ER- 15 Eggs Retrieved!!
3/24/12- 13 Mature Eggs, 8 Fertilized!!!
3/26/12- Went into ER for emergency Lap. Ruptured Cyst/Internal Bleeding
3/28/12- ET of 1 "Good" and 1 "Ok" 5=Day Blast
4/9//12- Beta 146 BFP!!!!!!
4/11/12- Beta 395!!!!
4/30/12- U/S showing one perfect baby measuring 7W with a heartbeat of 122!! Best day!
7/23/12- U/S showed we are going to have a beautiful little girl!!
C- Section scheduled for November 22nd!!!

>

#18 s00n

s00n
  • 1000+
  • 1247 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 09:39 AM

Will Kingston work with Smith Falls for Foster to Adopt or do they keep all their kids close?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: adoption