1 reply to this topic

#1 rmd

rmd
  • Cyclebase
  • 219 posts
  • Dx:Vasectomy
  • My Clinic:Foothills

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:21 PM

Hi all...so we go to our consult today to start planning for IVF #3 after having a bomb for cycle #1 and a beautiful baby boy for cycle #2 (cycle #2 was antagonist) to find out that they still weren't happy with my egg production and we're moving on to flare protocol.  I've read about the protocol...I'd love to hear from others that have been on this protocol before and what their outcomes were.  Also, did you do anything over and above like acupuncture, herbs, etc?  Thanks so much...here we go again!!!

Me: 39
DH: 53
TTC off and on for 11 years
vasectomy reversals 2003 & 2008 (scar tissue caused blockage both times)
PESA for DH done on July 14/11

IVF #1 (2011) -- meds: Suprefact, Gonal F and Luveris
Sept 3 -- ER 6 eggs retrieved -- 3 mature, 2 borderline and 1 immature 3 ICSI'd and 2 fertilized
Sept 6 -- ET (2 day 3 embies)
Sept 21 -- BFN

IVF #2 (February 2012) - no suppression -- 3-4 months prior CoQ10, herbs, raspberry leaf tea and had acu done weekly
meds -- Menopur and Orgalutran
Feb 16 -- ER 11 eggs retrieved -- 4 mature, 2 borderline and 5 immature 5 ICSI'd and 3 fertilized
Feb 18 -- ET 2 day 2 embies -- grade 1-2 and 2
March 6 -- confirmed BFP by clinic (no beta in Calgary)
March 23 -- 7 wk ultrasound -- one beautiful little bean 153 bpm and 1.13cm long
May 3 -- NT scan -- uncooperative baby results in reschedule 163 bpm and 7.0cm long
May 8 -- NT scan (take #2) 2.7 mm negative screen 157 bpm and 7.2 cm long
June 18 -- anatomy scan everything is perfect and we're having a BOY!!!
Oct 4 -- Jaxon arrived at 35 weeks!!!

IVF #3 (August/September 2014) - Flare Protocol - meds: Gonal-F and Menopur

Sept 10 -- ER 6 eggs retrieved -- 2 mature, 3 borderline, 1 immature  3 ICSI'd and 2 fertilized

Sept 12 -- ET 2 day 2 embies -- grade 1-2 for both (I think)

Sept 28 -- 1st beta 40 -- confirmed BFP by clinic but request for second beta

Multiple betas showed continued increase but no doubling - clinic has declared it a failed interuterine pregnancy

Oct 26 -- miscarriage at 8w4d

2016 -- switching to IUI with donor sperm

Feb 7 -- started chinese herbs

#2 Julia1977

Julia1977

Julia

• Cyclebase
  • 525 posts
  • Dx:DOR

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:49 PM

Hi rmd!

My previous cycle was flare protocol, but it ended up with BFN. The reasons offered for the outcome were: Quality of eggs, high baseline and progesterone level (which might have interfered with implantation.

However, this cycle (which brought me the BFP), was a modified version of the flare protocol, preceded by testosterone cream application for 23 days (check my signature and the "about me" section for details), and Saizen (Growth Hormone) during stimulation. The number of eggs retrieved or fertilized were not that different, and I ended up transferring 2 embryos like the previous cycle, but I guess the quality of the eggs was better this time.

In the previous cycle "menopure" was the only stimulation drug I had to inject on maximum dose (3 vialsx2 per day). This cycle though it was a mix of Gonal-F and menopure (together at maximum dose).

I'm still early in my pregnancy (5w4d), and I would love to know about your first experience in early pregnancy.

Wishing you all the best in this cycle. 

Please don't hesitate to contact me if you need any further information.

Regards

TTC: 3.5 years. Dx: Endometriosis stage IV in 2004 + Poor/Diminished Ovarian Reserve (relatively high FSH + low AMH)
ART Attempts: 1 cancelled IUI + 2 Failing IUIs + 1 IVF (Cancelled) + 1 IVF (BFN) + 1 IVF (BFP then miscarriage)

****************************************************************************************
IVF#1 (Nov 2012): (long protocol)
(Menopure, Bravelle)
Cycle cancelled due to poor response (Estrogen levels not increasing)

IVF#2 (Feb 2013): (microflare protocol): menopure (3 vials x 2 per day)
4 eggs retrieved (2 on each side) .... all mature, 2 eggs fertilized out of the 4 ICSI'd. Transferred 2 embryos of average quality (1 @ 5 cells & the other @ 7 cells) with AH -->
 BFN

April 2013: Laparoscopy: Removal of cysts from right and left ovary and some little endo spots and freeing right ovary from adhesion.

IVF#3 (June/July 2013): Microdose flare + Saizen+testosterone
5 eggs retrieved, 3 mature and fertilized by ICSIET of 2 6-cell embryos grade 2 and 3 --> BFP,

1st Beta= 57. US on 8th week: baby measures at 6 weeks and no heartbeat. Confirmed missed miscarriage, M/C at 9 weeks

Full panel of blood work analysis done for possible etiology of miscarriage. Everything was normal, except for a heterozygous MTHFR mutation (prescribed high dose folic acid)

IVF#4 (Dec2013/Jan 2014): Microdose flare+Saizen+testosterone 

4 eggs retrieved, all mature and fertilized by ICSI, ET of 1 6-cell embryo an 1 8-cell embryo graded 2 and 3. Non left to freeze --> BFN

IVF#5 (April/May 2014): Antagonist Estrogen Priming -Cornell Protocol (Clomid+ Menopur+Gonal F + Orgalutran)

6 eggs retreived, 4 mature and fertilized by ICSIMay 11: Day 3 ET on mother's day of 2 grade 2 8 cell embryos with less than 10% fragmentation. Non left to freeze

--> BFP : 1st Beta: 315.2, 2 (May 25th), 2n beta: 2715 (May 31st) smile.png --> June 19th, U/S shows one bean measuring right on track at 8w1d and heart beat above 150.

20w U/S confirms we are having a BOY ... Screening was negative and all measurements were normal. EDD: Jan 29th, 2015

Jan 30th 2015: My little baby boy was born ...can't be more grateful

Details in the "About me" section

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: flare, poor responder