cherbear
  • Global 100+
  • 234 posts
  • Interests:Running, reading, cooking, wine
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:PCRM

Posted 10 July 2013 - 01:59 PM

Hello Everyone,

I am new to this board and hoping someone has had a similar experience to mine. Here's my back story.....

I had an unexplained ectopic pregnancy back in 2005 resulting in a tubal rupture and repair (right tube). They were able to save my tube and I was told my future fertility would not be affected (I was in my twenties and nowhere not even considering the idea of children at the time)! Fast forward to the present and I am now ready to start a family with my lovely husband.  Because I had an ectopic in the past, I set up a pre-conception appointment with a gyencologist. I was a new patient to her. She hadn't treated me at all in the past. I explained my history, she did a standard PAP test and gave us the green light to start ttc. 9 months later we still weren't pregnant. I went back to see her and explained that I was concerned there may be issues preventing us from conceiving and that I seemed to be having VERY light and short periods. She said she wasn't concerned but sent us for bloodwork and a semen analysis to put my mind at ease. Everything came back "normal".

About a month or so later I found out I was pregnant. YAY! She booked me in for an early ultrasound at 6w5days. We found out at that scan that the pregnancy was once again ectopic and was in the same tube as last time. I had a methotrexate shot to end the pregnancy and was sent for weekly bloodwork to montitor my hcg levels to make sure they were dropping and the pregnancy was resolving like it should. I was told it could take anywhere from 4-12 weeks for levels to reach 0. 16 weeks later and my hcg levels still hadn't reached zero. I was concerned. She agreed to do an HSG scan. The scan revealed scarring throughout my uterus that was completely blocking my left tube. My right tube (where the ectopics occurred) was open and healthy. She suggested the reason my pregnancies keep happening in that tube is because that is the only healthy tissue the embryo can find to implant. She told me I would likely never be able to carry a child. We were devastated.

I decided to take matters into my own hands and do a little research of my own. I refused to believe that was the end of the road for us. Surely other women have had my condition and gone on to have healthy babies. There had to be hope. I hit the internet and that's how I found PCRM (and this forum)! The receptionist I spoke to was very helpful and understanding. She took my concerns seriously and jumped into action! I have a consultation appointment with Dr. Seethram on August 1st. I don't really know what to expect. From my research I think surgery to try and remove some of the scar tissue and open my tube is the only option?? Has anyone had this same diagnosis? Or something similar? I am excited to think there MIGHT be a chance for us to have a baby, but am nervous at the same time.

Wow, this post turned out to be WAY longer than I had intended. If you've read this far thanks for "listening" and any advice/encouragement you can offer would be much appreciated. xx

Me: 37 DH: 35
Dec 2005 - ectopic #1 in right tube (lap surgery, tube saved)
Actively TTC since May 2012
March 2013 - ectopic #2 in right tube (treated with MTX)
July 2013 - HSG revealed left tube completely blocked, right tube open, uterine scarring
Oct 2013 - hysteroscopy and exploratory lap surgery. Scar tissue removed from uterus.

IVF #1
Nov 13th 2013 - Dec 19th 2013 - suppression with BCP (Marvelon)Dec 24th 2013 - start 200 IU Puregon + 75 IU Menopur
Jan 4 2014 - ER (25 eggs, 23 mature, 15 fertilized)
Jan 9 2014 - ET (transferred 2 beautiful 5-day blasts - 4AA and 3AA) 3 frosties remaining
Jan 15 2014 - BFP!!!! th_abfp.gif
Jan 18 - Beta #1 @ 9dp5dt = 210, Jan 20 - Beta #2 @ 11dp5dt = 534!!! A baby is on the way!! yahoo.gif EDD Sept 27 2014
Sept 22nd 2014 - Myles David was born @ 3:27 am babyboy.gif We are so in love with this little boy! heart.gif

Sept 2015 - Surprise BFP = early miscarriage at about 5 weeks sad.png
Nov 2015 - BFP - no heartbeat at 8 week u/s icon_cry.gifSuspected molar pregnancy (22/12/15);Jan 2016 - 2 unsuccessful rounds of misoprostal - D&C required; April 2016 - repeat D&C for retained products - Pathology and cytogenetics confirmed a partial molar pregnancy. Oncologist advised waiting 6 months before TTC again.  

FET #1
Sept/Oct 2016 - Mock cycle (Estrace) = FAIL! Lining maxed out at 4.5mm
Oct/Nov 2016 - Natural cycle = FAIL!  Lining 4.2mm
Nov/Dec 2016 - Estradot Patch cycle - Come on lining!!! eusa_wall.gif

Transferred 2 beautiful blasts Dec 12/2016 -th_abfp.gif!! Ultrasound #1 Jan 17/17 @ 7w5d one baby with a HR 137 heart.gif EDD - August 30 2017.

Follow-up ultrasound at 9 weeks - Baby's heart has stopped beating icon_cry.gif

FET#2

Transferred our last remaining embryo on May 12/17 - th_abfn.gif..... back to the drawing board sad.png

IVF#2 (with ICSI)

Dec 2017 - 35 eggs retrieved, 28 fertilized. Freeze-all due to OHSS wacko.png - 14 great quality embryos frozen 

FET#3 - low-dose stim cycle due to stubborn lining. Jan 29/18 - transferred 2 4AA blasts - th_abfp.gif - ended in a chemical icon_cry.gif

#2 GardeniaD

GardeniaD
  • Global 100+
  • 397 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:IVF1 Edm RFC; FET2/3 PCRM; FET4 Edm PCRM

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:37 PM

Cherber, your story rings a bell... Long story short, I had my first pregnancy last year through FET, twins, we lost them for unknown reason at 7 and about 10 weeks but m/c at 12 weeks. I took misoprostol to avoid d&c but at the end there was still placenta tissue stuck to the uterus. My dr advised to do a d&c. I still insisted I wanted it by aspiration (suction) rather than scraping. She confirmed to me it's safe and the percentages she gave me were not accurate about what could go wrong. At the time if i knew in detail about scarring id have insisted to know what were her precautions to avoid it. Like camera scope. Or id have voided it and waited a couple more cycles for placenta to drop. She rushed me in an unprofessional manner. This is irrelevant now. I ended up with Asherman's Syndrome or Intrauterine Adhesion and had to convince her all the symptoms point to it and she eventually accepted to do a diagnostic hysteroscopy which showed what I told her. We met her after and there was no cooperation or knowledge of the issue. (Long part here that involves official complaints). I did my research and found about PCRM and Dr Havelock from ladies on another group. He treated me through surgical hysteroscopy and now I am scar free. I found the Dr and staff to be very welcoming and understanding. My scarring might have been less than yours but if it gives any assurance I am pregnant now after a FET with the same Dr. I wish you get over this soon. It is possible. By the way, the other group I mentioned is Asherman's Syndrome Yahoo Group. They are also on private group on Facebook. I wouldn't have gone through this for about a year without them. I volunteer there now.

Me: 39 | DH: 39 | DD 3yr from FET3

TTC: 2008

DH - MFI only in morphology in 2011 it was 1% (they look for anything above 4%). 

Me - healthy except for irregular AF / on thyroid medication. 

For full signature details see my profile.

FET4

Jan 19, 2017: transfered our last 2 frosties 4AA and 4AB 

Jan 24: 5dp5dt BFP on HPT, darker next 2 days then lighter before beta.

Jan 28: 9dp5dt 1st beta 347 / 11dp5dt 2nd beta 898

March 1: external u/s showed baby measuring on track 8w4d hb 172 bpm.  

#3 cherbear

cherbear
  • Global 100+
  • 234 posts
  • Interests:Running, reading, cooking, wine
  • Dx:Tubal

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:03 AM

GardeniaD,
Thank you so much for your reply. I'm sorry you've been through such a difficult time and for the loss of your twins. Your story does give me hope though! My gyno did say that my scarring was quite bad, but I can tell by the way she handled the situation that she has little to no experience with this. I am holding out hope until the docs at PCRM review my HSG scan and can give me a more educated assessment. I have an appointment with my gyno tomorrow to get a referral to PCRM, although my consultation is already booked for Aug 1st. Congratulations on your pregnancy! I hope to follow in your foot steps!

Me: 37 DH: 35
Dec 2005 - ectopic #1 in right tube (lap surgery, tube saved)
Actively TTC since May 2012
March 2013 - ectopic #2 in right tube (treated with MTX)
July 2013 - HSG revealed left tube completely blocked, right tube open, uterine scarring
Oct 2013 - hysteroscopy and exploratory lap surgery. Scar tissue removed from uterus.

IVF #1
Nov 13th 2013 - Dec 19th 2013 - suppression with BCP (Marvelon)Dec 24th 2013 - start 200 IU Puregon + 75 IU Menopur
Jan 4 2014 - ER (25 eggs, 23 mature, 15 fertilized)
Jan 9 2014 - ET (transferred 2 beautiful 5-day blasts - 4AA and 3AA) 3 frosties remaining
Jan 15 2014 - BFP!!!! th_abfp.gif
Jan 18 - Beta #1 @ 9dp5dt = 210, Jan 20 - Beta #2 @ 11dp5dt = 534!!! A baby is on the way!! yahoo.gif EDD Sept 27 2014
Sept 22nd 2014 - Myles David was born @ 3:27 am babyboy.gif We are so in love with this little boy! heart.gif

Sept 2015 - Surprise BFP = early miscarriage at about 5 weeks sad.png
Nov 2015 - BFP - no heartbeat at 8 week u/s icon_cry.gifSuspected molar pregnancy (22/12/15);Jan 2016 - 2 unsuccessful rounds of misoprostal - D&C required; April 2016 - repeat D&C for retained products - Pathology and cytogenetics confirmed a partial molar pregnancy. Oncologist advised waiting 6 months before TTC again.  

FET #1
Sept/Oct 2016 - Mock cycle (Estrace) = FAIL! Lining maxed out at 4.5mm
Oct/Nov 2016 - Natural cycle = FAIL!  Lining 4.2mm
Nov/Dec 2016 - Estradot Patch cycle - Come on lining!!! eusa_wall.gif

Transferred 2 beautiful blasts Dec 12/2016 -th_abfp.gif!! Ultrasound #1 Jan 17/17 @ 7w5d one baby with a HR 137 heart.gif EDD - August 30 2017.

Follow-up ultrasound at 9 weeks - Baby's heart has stopped beating icon_cry.gif

FET#2

Transferred our last remaining embryo on May 12/17 - th_abfn.gif..... back to the drawing board sad.png

IVF#2 (with ICSI)

Dec 2017 - 35 eggs retrieved, 28 fertilized. Freeze-all due to OHSS wacko.png - 14 great quality embryos frozen 

FET#3 - low-dose stim cycle due to stubborn lining. Jan 29/18 - transferred 2 4AA blasts - th_abfp.gif - ended in a chemical icon_cry.gif

#4 hopster

hopster
  • 23 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 29 July 2013 - 06:18 PM

cherbear, I have no experience with your issue. I just wanted to wish you luck on your journey with PCRM. Dr. Seethram is so nice. I have only seen him once for an ultrasound. One thing I have noticed about the docs here is that they truly care about their patients. 

• tropikal likes this

Me 35, DH, 38

Unexplained IF, TTC since July 2011

clomid + TI X 3 months 

clomid + IUI X3

gonal-f + IUI = ectopic, methotrexate 07/29

? IVF in Oct

#5 SingleMom2015

SingleMom2015
  • 14 posts
  • Dx:Endometriosis