8 replies to this topic

#1 HaileyVictoria

HaileyVictoria
  • Global 100+
  • 293 posts
  • Dx:Endometriosis

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:20 PM

Hello,

I am just curious - after egg retrieval is done, can you go back to work the next day? Or is it recommended to take a couple of days off?

March/11 - Diagnosed with stage IV Endometriosis

July/13: IVF cancelled - overstimulated (60 follicles on one ovary :S

October/13: IVF Cycle #1.1 - Starting in October with a new protocol - Superfact (.1) & Gonal F (187.5)

October 26/13 - 20 eggs retrieved - 7 fertilized

All 7 embryos growing strong! Grade 2 - and all between 6-8 cell!

They are all still grade 2 - and all on schedule!

October 31/13 - HAPPY HALLOWEEN! Transferred 2 beautiful embabies (3AA & 3AB) 2 snow babies (3BB & Morula) smile.png

November 8/13: Very sad news th_abfn.gifsad.png

Taking a nice looooong break - I need this more than ever! smile.png

FET - July 22/14 Transfered 2 embryos (3BB & Morula)

Beta - July 31/14 th_abfp.gif In comeplete shock! Beta 67 

Beta - August 5/14 Beta: 395 - Doubling every 48hr yahoo.gif

Beta - August 11/14: Beta: 15 sad.png Miscarriage at 6 weeks. Devastated 8388.gif

Switching fertility clinics to Dr. Virro - Looking forward to doing immunity testing!October 14/14 Start 3 months of LupronDecember 5/14: Immunity testing came back: Low antibodies. Will be doing treatment before next IVF (LIT + IVIG). This could be the reason for my previous miscarriage. Happy to have an answer and move forward! smile.png Doc gave me a 67% success rate! laugh.png IVF 2: May/15: Feeling great about this one! biggrin.png April 23/15: 100 Gonal F (later switched to 75) 1 orgalutran needle, Menopure 75

9 Eggs retrieved, 7 mature, 5 fertilized

Day 3: everything looking great - all 8 cell. Two embryos are grade 1, three are grade 2

Day 5: Transferred 1 excellent embryo (4BB) Day 6 I had 1 more to freeze (5BB)HPT: 7dpt & 10dpt   th_abfp.gif

Beta May 21: 291Bleeding and passed a huge tissue. Beta May 22: 57. Confirmed another early miscarriage sad.png

September 28: Surgery to remove a large septum and dr. V did an endo scratch. 2 months of hormone replacement.

**Looking to do a couple rounds of Lupron and then my next FET in January** Will confirm this during my next appointment

Ivf May 2016Froze 2 embryos both 5bb. Only transferring next year after we purchase and renovate our new house.January 2017...SURPRISE NATURAL PREGNANCY! :D Aug 2017..Our miracle baby boy arrives and he is absolutely perfect. 💙💙💙💙Never give up hope! You WILL get your little miracle one day too! 💙

#2 zepper

zepper
  • Global 100+
  • 166 posts
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:Dr. Wu/ONE

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:33 PM

I've had 2 ERs and wouldn't have been able to go to work the next day - I needed a couple days at the very least. Although, some women have said they were able to work the next day. I would say to be safe, book a couple days off.

Good luck!

• gibasgirl and Red Wine like this
  • Me - 34, DH - 35
  • TTC since Feb. 2009
  • Started seeing Dr. Wu - March 2011
  • DH's SA's vary - thinking male factor is the issue
  • April-June 2011 - Femara - hormone levels normal
  • July 2011 - HSG - all clear
  • Aug-Oct 2011 - IUI's #1-3 with Femara - BFN x3
  • Nov 2011 - Laparsocopy - all clear
  • Dec 2011 - IUI #4 with Clomid - BFN
  • IVF #1 - Feb 2012 - no eggs retrieved from 14 follicles - *Genuine Empty Follicle Syndrome* WTF???
  • IVF #2 - July 2012 - used Lupron as trigger - 5 eggs retrieved from 16 follicles - Dr. concludes I do have GEFS - they know little about it. All 5 eggs fertilized.
  • Transferred 2 8-cell grade A embryos - BFN
  • 3 frozen embryos
  • FET #1- October 22, 2012 - transferred 2 three-day embryos - BFN
  • FET #2 - February - 1 embryo left - cancelled due to estrogen levels dropping :(
  • FET #2 - March 23, 2013 - medicated cycle - transfer of our last embryo - BFN
Now what? We've had the public adoption paperwork since October and I still can't gather the strength to look at it.

#3 L_in_Calgary

L_in_Calgary
  • Cyclebase
  • 355 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Foothills

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:03 PM

For my first retrieval I took some days off work but found it wasn`t necessary. For the second I went to work the next day (ER was in the morning). I think it depends what type of job you have and how comfortable you are going back quickly. I have a desk job & if needed could have gone home sick so it worked for me.

• Red Wine likes this
me 37 dh 38 ttc since May 2010 (high FSH, mild MF) Aug - Sept 2011- 2 cycles with Clomid and TI - 2xBFN Sept - Nov 2011 - 3 IUIs with clomid - 3xBFN IVF #1 Jan/Feb 2012 - 300 Gonal F eSET - 3 day - BFP (3x day 3 frozen) April m/c at 8 weeks DHEA, Q10 and continue acupuncture in prep for next cycle July - chemical IVF #2 - Aug/Sept 2012 -225 Gonalf & 225 menopur Sept 17th - eSET 1 blast (5 basts frozen) Sept 30 - BFP First u/s Oct 18 - measuring on track, hb 150 NT scan - measuring on track and low risk DD arrived June 2013 FET #1 - March 2015 - BFN FET #2 - July 2015 - eSET Chemical (1 transfered 3 didn't survive thaw) Aug 2015 Natural BFP - Chemical FET #3 - Oct 2015 - two transfered (1 didn't survive thaw - no more frozen) - Chemical. All frozen used & no success. On DHEA and Q10 in prep for next treatment. Dec 2015 BFP - Chemical, Jan 2016 Chemical. IVF #3 (with ICSI) Feb 2016

#4 gibasgirl

gibasgirl
  • Site Admin
  • 13147 posts
  • Interests:I like many things, music (all kinds), tennis, photography, and languages to name a few. Ok, interior and industrial design, opera, and TV. Yes, TV, there are just so many darn good TV shows on the air. Ugh, it's hard to resist.

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:09 PM

For my first I went back to work the next day, but I am one of those people who metabolises morphine very, very, very slowly and it was still in my system when I went to work.

Needless to say I had to leave early because I could not function.

Some doctors have a light touch when doing retrievals, and others are..well, not gentle and the patient ends up feeling tender for a period of time following the procedure.

Some ladies have no issues post retrieval and can get back to their normal lives pretty quickly the next day.

I'd say book the day of AND the day after off of work, just in case you need the extra time. It'll help take the pressure off. If you feel ok, bonus. If not, the extra day will come in very handy.

FX for you!
  • Red Wine likes this

#5 ashley_eggdonor

ashley_eggdonor

I love helping other families!

• Just Hatched
  • 6 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:39 PM

My first cycle was not in my home state so I was not able to attend work the next day but I could have. After the retrieval, I woke up and was ready to go! We grabbed brunch (I was starving), and set off for a day of sight seeing around the city. Walking long distances was a tad uncomfortable (not painful. Similar to eating too much or drinking too much water and not having a restroom around...lol), a week before the retrieval and for a few days afterward. I would just sit down for a few minutes and then I was on my way again. Best of luck to you!  :)

• gibasgirl likes this

#6 Red Wine

Red Wine
  • Cyclebase
  • 2692 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:38 PM

ER isn't too bad, but it depends how swollen your belly becomes.  I had discomfort a few days after ER due to swelling and I stayed at home, but I did go for some small walks as the clinic suggested. 

Everyone is different, so if you have had previous surgeries and have recovered quickly then you maybe able to go to work.  However, if you have had past surgeries and you're down for a week then take a day or two off.

Best of luck.

• gibasgirl likes this

See about me page.

#7 Want2bmamma

Want2bmamma
  • Global 100+
  • 535 posts
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:St. John's Newfoundland / RFP Calgary

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:26 PM

I took about a Month off work, to cycle and the tww. I chose to do this.

#8 HaileyVictoria

HaileyVictoria
  • Global 100+
  • 293 posts
  • Dx:Endometriosis

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:32 PM

Thanks everyone! :) I think I may wait and see how I'm feeling - If I feel fine I will go into work within a couple days after ER. I tend to heal really fast so I can see myself going back to work the next day.

• gibasgirl likes this

March/11 - Diagnosed with stage IV Endometriosis

July/13: IVF cancelled - overstimulated (60 follicles on one ovary :S

October/13: IVF Cycle #1.1 - Starting in October with a new protocol - Superfact (.1) & Gonal F (187.5)

October 26/13 - 20 eggs retrieved - 7 fertilized

All 7 embryos growing strong! Grade 2 - and all between 6-8 cell!

They are all still grade 2 - and all on schedule!

October 31/13 - HAPPY HALLOWEEN! Transferred 2 beautiful embabies (3AA & 3AB) 2 snow babies (3BB & Morula) smile.png

November 8/13: Very sad news th_abfn.gifsad.png

Taking a nice looooong break - I need this more than ever! smile.png

FET - July 22/14 Transfered 2 embryos (3BB & Morula)

Beta - July 31/14 th_abfp.gif In comeplete shock! Beta 67 

Beta - August 5/14 Beta: 395 - Doubling every 48hr yahoo.gif

Beta - August 11/14: Beta: 15 sad.png Miscarriage at 6 weeks. Devastated 8388.gif

Switching fertility clinics to Dr. Virro - Looking forward to doing immunity testing!October 14/14 Start 3 months of LupronDecember 5/14: Immunity testing came back: Low antibodies. Will be doing treatment before next IVF (LIT + IVIG). This could be the reason for my previous miscarriage. Happy to have an answer and move forward! smile.png Doc gave me a 67% success rate! laugh.png IVF 2: May/15: Feeling great about this one! biggrin.png April 23/15: 100 Gonal F (later switched to 75) 1 orgalutran needle, Menopure 75

9 Eggs retrieved, 7 mature, 5 fertilized

Day 3: everything looking great - all 8 cell. Two embryos are grade 1, three are grade 2

Day 5: Transferred 1 excellent embryo (4BB) Day 6 I had 1 more to freeze (5BB)HPT: 7dpt & 10dpt   th_abfp.gif

Beta May 21: 291Bleeding and passed a huge tissue. Beta May 22: 57. Confirmed another early miscarriage sad.png

September 28: Surgery to remove a large septum and dr. V did an endo scratch. 2 months of hormone replacement.

**Looking to do a couple rounds of Lupron and then my next FET in January** Will confirm this during my next appointment

Ivf May 2016Froze 2 embryos both 5bb. Only transferring next year after we purchase and renovate our new house.January 2017...SURPRISE NATURAL PREGNANCY! :D Aug 2017..Our miracle baby boy arrives and he is absolutely perfect. 💙💙💙💙Never give up hope! You WILL get your little miracle one day too! 💙

#9 YVRunner

YVRunner
  • Cyclebase
  • 460 posts
  • Dx:PCOS
  • My Clinic:Olive

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:17 PM

I went to work the next day after all my retrievals.  But I'm a tough cookie!  And I have a desk job...worse case, I could have gone home sick...but there was no need.

• gibasgirl and HaileyVictoria like this

Genesis Clinic
IUI #1 with Clomid - missed ovulation
IVF #1 - 12 eggs retrived, 0 fertilized (ICSI)
IVF #2 - April/May BFN
IVF #3 - July/August miscarriage @ 7 weeks
FET #1 - February/March BFN
FET #2 - March/April BFN
FET #3 - May/June BFN

Olive Clinic
IVF#4 w/ ICSI & CCS - March/April
March 30 - ER (25 eggs)
March 31 - Day 1 - 22 eggs mature w/ ICSI = 12 fertilized
April 5 - total of 9 biopsied blasts to be sent away for CCS testing
April 10 - RESULTS DAY - 7 are chromosomally perfect!!! Lucky 7  

FET #4

May 1 -  1-6BB
May 7 - BFP on HPT
May 13 - Beta #1 633 @ 12dp6dt
May 20 - Beta # 12,411 @ 19dp6dt
May 21 - Emergency scan due to bleeding - miscarriage

FET #5

August 24 - transfer 1-5AB

Sept 8 - Beta #1 = 1,880

Sept 15 - Beta #2 = 13,199

Sept 17 - 6w1d ultrasound, measuring on track, heartbeat visible and audible at 111 

Oct 1 - 8w1d ultrasound, measuring ahead at 8w2d, heartbeat at 169

Oct 16 - 10w2d ultrasound, measuring ahead at 10w3d, heartbeat at 165

FET #6

POAS - positive

Beta - 11 BFN

FET #7

January 17 - transfer 1-5BB

January 29 - Beta #1 = 456

February 5 - Beta #2 = 7677

foSCm7.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: egg retrieval, ivf, er, work