canadian clinics buy and ship donor eggs, so why can't I? - Ask The Fertility Lawyer - IVF.ca Forums

Photo

canadian clinics buy and ship donor eggs, so why can't I?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SLH

SLH
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:Computers and TV.
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Isis, then Newlife

Posted 29 June 2013 - 12:23 PM

I don't understand why my clinic told me it was illegal to purchase eggs myself, yet they buy them all the time. If they are allowed to buy and ship frozen eggs and embryos from the states, then I don't see any reason why I can't.

I'm sorry if my question is stupid or if it's in the wrong place.

Thanks

TTC#1 since 2010

Me: 30 low ovarian reserve/poor responder

DH: 35

Dozens of failed medicated and monitored cycles

6 failed IUI cycles

IVF #1 cancelled 

After 2 years and $$$$$ later, we switched clinics

Moving on to donor eggs in the US. eusa_pray.gifcrsd.gif

Starting Lupron 10/13/13

Fertilization 11/14/13

transferred 2 blasts on 11/19/13

th_abfp.gif  November 23, 2013 yahoo.gif 

It's a girl!

My little miracle born August 1, 2014. 

#2 ociwoman

ociwoman

Mamma mia

• Global 100+
  • 820 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:26 AM

Canadian law does not permit ANYONE in Canada to pay for eggs or sperm - not even a clinic. Your clinic may think that they are safe in buying eggs from the US, but they are gambling with and pushing the limits of Canandian law. Your clinic has money to defend themselves should they ever get caught. Do you?

You could consider donor egg ivf in the US (very expensive) or in Greece, Spain or Cyprus where it will only cost you about $7K plus travelling costs. Still way cheaper than the US. And totally within the law.

I really appreciate your struggle to find a donor. We looked for 18 months in Canada and come up with nothing. The US was too expensive - anywhere from $28K to $35K, not including travel costs. So we have turned to Europe. I am currently in cycle for egg donor ivf at the end of July and the TOTAL cost to us for EVERYTHING (including travel, meds, donor fees, donor meds, you name it) is $11K.

Something you might want to consider.

Best wishes....

#3 SherryLevitan

SherryLevitan
  • Advisor
  • 105 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 10 July 2013 - 02:52 PM

The Canadian federal law is difficult because it is not a complete piece of legislation. The section of the federal legislation that permits the reimbursement of expenses to a donor was never proclaimed. In the absence of a set of allowable categories, we are permitted to reimburse a wide variety of reasonable expenses to egg donors. However, once the donor has completed the donation and the eggs are frozen, it is very difficult to justify the exchange of monies for those frozen eggs as anything other than a purchase. To add to the complexity of the situation, Health Canada specifically permits the purchase of frozen sperm as an interim measure. Your question could be "why is the purchase of sperm permitted, when the purchase of eggs is prohibited?".

There are ways of obtaining donor egg legally, but the purchase is still prohibited.

• gibasgirl likes this

#4 RedSiren

RedSiren
  • Global 100+
  • 459 posts
  • Interests:Natural Health, Acupuncture, Mind-Body Connection
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:Isis RFC

Posted 12 July 2013 - 04:35 PM

There are a few Canadian clinics, including ISIS in Mississauga, that has a partnership with a clinic in Atlanta that has a frozen egg bank.  They are legally doing a frozen egg cycle that runs about $27K for all the cycle expenses and a few women on the boards have done that option.

For about the same price, you can also travel to any number of clinics in the US and do a fresh cycle, or alternately, for less money than that, travel to Europe (Spain, Greece, Czech Republic) or Mexico and do a donor cycle with an anonymous donor they select based on information about you from you.

Best of luck in your journey.

Lilypie Maternity tickers (In)Fertility Journey Details in About Me...