Please share your experience with immune testing here - Page 2 - Immune Disorders - IVF.ca Forums

Photo

Please share your experience with immune testing here

NK cells IVIG steroids repeated miscarriage Immune reproductive immunology Alan Beer center AEB ABC antiphospholipid antibodies

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#26 MB.

MB.
  • Global 100+
  • 764 posts
  • Dx:Other

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:16 PM

For what it's worth, I also had the MTHFR mutation and it was treated successfully with fragmin and aspirin.  I know you have more than one mutation, but clotting issues can be treated and you should not lose hope.

• My_time likes this

#27 momijimummy

momijimummy
  • 42 posts
  • Dx:Immunological
  • My Clinic:Genea

Posted 29 July 2013 - 05:54 AM

Hi everyone

I have NK cells too since I am considering coming to Canada for DE now I am worried about being treated/not treated for NK cells.

The two clinics I have narrowed down to are Lifequest and Create only because of waiting list for Markham (which sounds great).But I cannot see NK cells mentioned on there sites and from what I have read on this site seems that there not too keen to treat it or diagnose.

How about Astra anyone there believe in NK cells?

• My_time likes this

#28 lucydes

lucydes
  • 18 posts
  • Dx:Endometriosis
  • My Clinic:LQ

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:49 AM

From what I understand, Dr. Virro is the only doc in Toronto testing/treating for NK cells. From the calling around I did before opting to go with Lifequest, other clinics aren't concerned with NK cells because there is insufficient evidence of a link between NK cells and RPL. 

Best of luck to you! :)

#29 My_time

My_time

The world says give up! Hope whispers one more time

• Cyclebase
  • 1817 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:10 AM

Hi everyone

I have NK cells too since I am considering coming to Canada for DE now I am worried about being treated/not treated for NK cells.

The two clinics I have narrowed down to are Lifequest and Create only because of waiting list for Markham (which sounds great).But I cannot see NK cells mentioned on there sites and from what I have read on this site seems that there not too keen to treat it or diagnose.

How about Astra anyone there believe in NK cells?

Hi MOMijimummy, 

LifeQuest will not treat you for NK cells; so if that is what you are after then I would suggest to stay clear of that clinic. I have heard that Create does to some extent. There are ladies on this site that have received intralipid for NK cells in Create facility. I have never been to Create but I hope some of knowledgable ladies pitch in and share their experience. 

Good luck!

Diagnosis: Repeated Pregnancy Loss + DOR + Advance maternal Age.

So far no luck with IVF attempts. Hope things take a turn soon.

#30 MB.

MB.
  • Global 100+
  • 764 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:19 AM

Create will do intralipids the week before transfer with a follow up after a positive beta.  Not all RE's add it as a regular protocol but it is available at the clinic and they will include it if you have repeated failures with otherwise good looking embryos, or if you request it.

• My_time likes this

#31 momijimummy

momijimummy
  • 42 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 06:26 PM

Here in Australia there is only one Dr using intralipids as a treatment,I have tried steroids and blood thinners last cycle but no luck,will stick to blood thinners but I do not want the clinic I choose to be against the treatment.

Thanks for the info will keep that in mind with the research.

wavey.gif 

#32 momijimummy

momijimummy
  • 42 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:29 AM

Hello again I am confused as you can see I meant to ask about Newlife not Lifequest,you girls have so many IVF clinics in Toronto it is getting me into trouble.

So for us NK chicks is Newlife alright,I have a script for my blood thinner (clexane,which is like Fragmin or heparin) but I guess you wonder whether your treating Dr is possibly against the idea. 

Any insight to Newlife please hit me with all you know.eusa_think.gif

#33 lucydes

lucydes
  • 18 posts
  • My Clinic:LQ

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:18 AM

Not sure about Newlife, that's one place I really haven't heard much at all about. I can tell you that of all the REs in Canada, Dr. Laskin is the only one who is an immunologist, which is another reason I trust his expertise on the subject.

I was going to see if you'd looked into any American clinics but then I remembered how much more expensive that would be. I do hear good stuff about Cornell though.

#34 Highest hopes

Highest hopes
  • Global 100+
  • 660 posts
  • My Clinic:McGill, OriginElle, Aurora, & RUH

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:00 PM

Thanks My_time for starting this thread - excellent idea! & to everyone here who shared this info.

I would like to get immune testing done, and I think Braverman sounds like a good place - has anyone dealt with them?

http://www.preventmiscarriage.com/

For a couple of you who asked about going gluten-free, I wanted to chip in my experience with that - I luckily came across a doc who tested me for Celiac last summer. I came up positive on the blood test, then positive on the biopsy & was diagnosed. Have been gluten free since and my intestines have almost healed! I highly recommend getting the blood test rather than just going gluten free because you probably won't follow it closely enough to fix the problem if you actually are Celiac. If tests for Celiac are negative then eliminating gluten as a trial for gluten-sensitivity is a good idea.  Important: you must be eating gluten for a few months before the Celiac tests will be valid.

• My_time likes this
Dx: Age & Endometriosis & Tubal

IUI & IVF & FET = BFN
Pinterest.com/aquablueglow

#35 Dillydally

Dillydally

Cupcake guru

• Cyclebase
  • 630 posts
  • Interests:Cupcakes! Gardening, reading mystery books and salivating at pictures in cookbooks.
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:McGill reproductive center

Posted 16 October 2013 - 01:29 PM

Hello ladies,

Just thought I would give an update of my treatment for AOA; I have been on marvelon for the last few months. I am now on my 6th consecutive pack, meaning when I reach the end of the pack, I start a new one right away. No break in between.

I had gone in for a blood test this past September and had a follow up appointment last week; the antibodies are now gone! So I will be cycling again come November. The idea behind my taking marvelon continuously was to "hide" my ovaries from the antibodies. So far so good! The endocrinologist is hoping that this will give us a short time window to work with and that there will be a temporary reversal of my DOR. I guess I will only really know more come November. I will post an update after my next cycle.

Cheers!

• gibasgirl, Myrtle and My_time like this

Me- 37, DH - 46
Dx: DOR

Please see my profile for prior history

Blood test to check for antiovarian antibodies (AOA)  in early September 2013

Follow up appointment with endocrinologist October 10th 2013 (FX AOA please be gone!)

Oct. 10th 2013 - AOA are gone!!!!

Oct. 18th 2013 - Appointment with Dr. H to review protocol

Oct. 24th 2013 - Start taking prednisone

Oct. 31st 2013 - Stop marvelon after taking 6 packs continuously (yay!!!). Happy Halloween:)

IVF 2.2 - November 2013

Low dose protocol with prednisone

Nov. 4th 2013 - U/S 1, all clear, start stims (150 Repronex)

Nov. 7th 2013 - U/S 2: one lonesome follie

Nov. 9th 2013 - Start Orgalutran

Nov. 11th 2013 - U/S3:

Nov. 13th 2013 - U/S4:

Nov. 14th 2013 - U/S5: 3 follies on right (18, 7 and 6 mm) and 1 follie on left (8 mm), trigger at 10 pm

Nov. 16th 2013 - ER...FX!

Nov.17th 2013 - Game over - none fertilized.

2014 - Taking a (permanent?) break from IVF

#36 Myrtle

Myrtle
  • Cyclebase
  • 435 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:McGill

Posted 16 October 2013 - 04:10 PM

Dilly that is so exciting!!!!

I have not posted to this thread yet for some reason.  I ended up having the RPL test after 2 failed IVFs and 2 years of TTC our second child.  We had one, same partner, no ART used in 2008, when we were 32 & 37 (I am the older one).  

My RPL test showed a few abnormal things.  The one that stood out was my thyroid was hyperthyroid.  My RE said it was fine and we started on our next IVF last April.  Talk about miscommunication.  The RE had offered me dexamethasone- a steroid- to take because I had a positive ANA on my blood test.  I went back to her, to get the prescription for it, and she mentioned how they did not know why I had this- and I was like, "What about my thyroid?"  and she looked at her computer and told me my thyroid levels were fine.  Well, luckily, I had a copy of the blood tests and I showed her how it WAS hyperthyroid.  She ordered another test and sure enough they were.  I stopped all meds and started treatment for my thyroid.

Now,  my thyroid has tested normal, and we are about to restart that 3rd IVF 6 months later.  I will be taking baby aspirin and dexamethasone with this one- these are additions to my protocol because of the suspected immune problems.

• My_time likes this

See my profile for more details.  

Me: 42 DH: 37

DS #1 conceived naturally, born Dec. 1st, 2008

January 2010, Begin TTC #2
September 2011 start charting
April 2011 Consult with RE.
All tests normal. No problems found.
Two IUIs. BFN.
February 2012 IVF #1 -BFN.
FET July 2012- BFN.
IVF#2  Fall 2012
Hysteroscopy Tues. 8/21
PGD 2 out of 11 embryos are normal and put back in. Beta November 7th. BFN.

Further testing - the RPL test- results in suspected immune issues.  Recommended protocol to take baby aspirin 

and possibly steroid.

Start taking baby aspirin.

April 4th 2013. Surprise BFP, chemical pregnancy.

IVF #3 - May 2013

April 8th start BCP.  Keep taking baby aspirin.  

April 19th - start 5mg/day of dexamethasone (steroid) 

Starting weekly acupuncture April 19th.  

May 1st- blood test come back positive for hyperthyroidism.  STOP EVERYTHING.

Referral to endocrinologist.  Appointment on June 20th, 2013.  

Have a prescription for vitamin d and for propylthiouracil.  started June 26th.

Blood tests at the end of July and end of August to see if all is well.  

Doctor hinted I might be cleared to go back to IVF as soon as September.  

October 8th, thyroid is now fine.  Cleared to start IVF.

IVF #3.5 October 2013

Oct. 18th - start BCP, dexamethasone and baby aspirin.

Nov. 1st - start .5ml buserelin each night.

Nov. 4th - last BCP

Nov. 14th - 1st u/s.  

Nov. 27h - ER.  11 Eggs Retrieved.  

Nov. 28th- Embryo update:  12 eggs retrieved.  10 mature.  8 fertilized.  

Dec. 2nd 2 embryos transferred 5-d-t.  Also mild OHSS diagnosis.

Dec. 13th - Beta blood test.  BFN.

Done with IVFs.  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: NK cells, IVIG, steroids, repeated miscarriage, Immune, reproductive immunology, Alan Beer center, AEB, ABC, antiphospholipid antibodies