115 replies to this topic

#76 My_time

My_time

The world says give up! Hope whispers one more time

• Cyclebase
  • 1817 posts
  • Dx:Other

Posted 15 August 2013 - 09:14 AM

Sorry to hear about BFN Ociwoman. Best of luck to upcoming FETs in Canada or in Greece. 

Diagnosis: Repeated Pregnancy Loss + DOR + Advance maternal Age.

So far no luck with IVF attempts. Hope things take a turn soon.

#77 RedSiren

RedSiren
  • Global 100+
  • 459 posts
  • Interests:Natural Health, Acupuncture, Mind-Body Connection
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:Isis RFC

Posted 15 August 2013 - 09:51 PM

Ociwoman - So sorry for your BFN. Perhaps being at home in your own home might be less stressful. Even positive excitement can raise cortisol levels which can be detrimental. Did you gradually increase your estrace? Did they have you insert it vaginally or orally? Vaginally world better though you get smurf panty liners. Also L-argine prior to a cycle can increase lining, as does electro-acupuncture. All things to consider.

Hugs,
Red
  • My_time likes this
Lilypie Maternity tickers (In)Fertility Journey Details in About Me...

#78 Aimy

Aimy
  • 94 posts
  • Dx:Endometriosis
  • My Clinic:Toronto, ON

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:47 AM

Sorry to hear about BFN Ociwoman. I wish the upcoming FET is the one for you. Hugs

Me 31, DH 31, Married 2007
TTC: 2 years

IVF #1: 28 Sep 2011
OCT 29th: ER (7 EGGs), 6 Fertilized
NOV 3rd: ET 1d5 Blast. and 1d6 stored.
NOV 14th: BFN

FET #1: Feb 2011
FEB 2nd: FET 1d6 blastocyte
FEB 16th: BFN

IVF #2 - June/July2012
No Response

IVF #3 - September/October 2012 - Modified Microdose Flare Protocol
AF Sept. 30; begin Marvelon for 21 days
Suprefact 5mg t
wice daily; 375IU Menopur; 225IU Puregon
Est. ER Nov. 3 -
Est. ET Nov. 5 - 7

only 1 eggy, BFN

DOR, low AFC

#79 deactivated account

deactivated account
  • 39 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 16 August 2013 - 01:34 PM

#80 ociwoman

ociwoman

Mamma mia

• Global 100+
  • 820 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 11:43 AM

Hi lovetobe,

That's a great suggestion! I have gained a ton of insight through this process and will put my thoughts togdther over the next couple of days and come back here and share about the clinic and Ruth. I am also going to start an information thread that is less about my specific experience and more about DE ivf treatment abroad in general. Sort of a one-stop post of all things to think about before committing to going abroad, and all the things to do once you've decided to go abroad.

As a general comment right now, i will say that going abroad only makes financial sense if you are seeking donor egg treatment. If you are looking for ivf with own eggs, then cheaper to stay in Canada for sure. Also, having a treatment coordinator is an enormous benefit! We had absolutely no issues with our clinic. They get 5 gold stars!

Will post more details in a few days. Thanks to all for your support. :)

• My_time and deactivated account like this

#81 ociwoman

ociwoman

Mamma mia

• Global 100+
  • 820 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 03:26 PM

Hi RedSiren,

Thanks for the tips. Am hoping your pregnancy is doing well, Red. Was this BFP from a fresh or frozen cycle?

We did gradually increase the estrace starting with 2mg, then 4 mg, then 6 mg, initially taken orally. Once the u/s showed that lining was only at 6.4, we added 2mgs vaginally in the morning and then again at night. We eventually got to 8.2mm  Not a reason to cancel, but not the best situation either.

For the FET, we now know that we need to start on a higher dose of estrace to get the lining nice and thick. Unfortunately, I don't tolerate L-arginine well, so that's not an option. Will certaily consider acupuncture as well. Would you mind sharing what your progesterone protocol was/is?

Although we are Quebec residents, we have decided to do our FETs with OFC. We live 5 minutes from Ottawa, and OFC did our satellite monitoring for our DE ivf in Greece. We really liked everybody at OFC. Very caring. We will obviously have to pay for the FETs since they are outside Quebec, but it will make things less stressful than traveling to Montreal, and we won't have to wait months to become new patients at a new clinic. Nice thing is that OFC is handling the shipping of embryos for us too. (At half the cost than we were quoted independently!)

Got my AF yesterday (big time cramps!!!), so am officially into my "breather/cleansing" cycle. Looking at starting FET cycle next month. 

Am working on my posting re "things to think about" when doing DE ivf abroad. I don't think we would have done a lot of things differently, but there certainly are things that we had to figure out on our own, so I will share that info here for others benefit.

Cheers and best wishes to all who are cycling or waiting or searching for a donor. It's quite a journey, isn't it?

• Aimy and RedSiren like this

#82 fieldofdreams

fieldofdreams
  • 12 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Iakentro, Athens

Posted 20 August 2013 - 03:14 AM

Hi Ociwoman, I was so sorry to hear about your BFN, I suppose the good part is that you know it was most likely to do with lining and you can change that for the next time.  so fingers crossed for when you do that, it's nice that you can just decide the timings yourself now as well. 

I'm getting ready to do my injection this Thursday and I also get the endometrial scratch done that day, so all moving forward now.  I think it will feel more real once I start taking meds daily, still a bit surreal as all I'm currently doing is taking the pill, which thankfully i finish this weekend.  I'm quite bloaty and don't think I've ever looked forward to having AF so much! 

Anyway, hope everyone is doing good whatever stage you are at.  Looking forward to reading your thoughts ociwoman and hearing how others are getting on. 

Chat soon,

F. xx

Me: 41 no issues, just age Him: 38 no issues

3 IVF rounds, unsuccesful

Now ready for donor egg & excited!

#83 RedSiren

RedSiren
  • Global 100+
  • 459 posts
  • Interests:Natural Health, Acupuncture, Mind-Body Connection
  • My Clinic:Isis RFC

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:10 AM

Hi RedSiren,

Thanks for the tips. Am hoping your pregnancy is doing well, Red. Was this BFP from a fresh or frozen cycle?

We did gradually increase the estrace starting with 2mg, then 4 mg, then 6 mg, initially taken orally. Once the u/s showed that lining was only at 6.4, we added 2mgs vaginally in the morning and then again at night. We eventually got to 8.2mm  Not a reason to cancel, but not the best situation either.

For the FET, we now know that we need to start on a higher dose of estrace to get the lining nice and thick. Unfortunately, I don't tolerate L-arginine well, so that's not an option. Will certaily consider acupuncture as well. Would you mind sharing what your progesterone protocol was/is?

Although we are Quebec residents, we have decided to do our FETs with OFC. We live 5 minutes from Ottawa, and OFC did our satellite monitoring for our DE ivf in Greece. We really liked everybody at OFC. Very caring. We will obviously have to pay for the FETs since they are outside Quebec, but it will make things less stressful than traveling to Montreal, and we won't have to wait months to become new patients at a new clinic. Nice thing is that OFC is handling the shipping of embryos for us too. (At half the cost than we were quoted independently!)

Got my AF yesterday (big time cramps!!!), so am officially into my "breather/cleansing" cycle. Looking at starting FET cycle next month. 

Am working on my posting re "things to think about" when doing DE ivf abroad. I don't think we would have done a lot of things differently, but there certainly are things that we had to figure out on our own, so I will share that info here for others benefit.

Cheers and best wishes to all who are cycling or waiting or searching for a donor. It's quite a journey, isn't it?

Ociwoman, I hear great things about the OFC so FX for your FET cycle.  Ask them to do a scratch test or endometrial biopsy on CD21 when you get your Lupron shot. It will assist with lining receptivity, lots of good studies on it. 

My estrogen protocol was same as yours, 2 mg then 4 mg then 6 on a specific timeline. I did vaginally at first, then switched to orally once it had built up over 9 mms. Progesterone they started me on Crinone the same day that the donor's embryos were retrieved, so I was on it for five days as we transferred a 5 day blast.  It was a fresh cycle. 

Because we both were using DE, the cycle protocols for fresh vs FET donor egg cycle are pretty much the same. CD 21 go in for your lupron shot, wait for your period, then start estrace. As I said, ask them to give you a scratch test on CD 21 to help with your lining.

Acupuncture protocol is the Swedish Electro acupuncture protocol, 3x a week for four weeks prior to transfer.  It increases the blood flow to the uterus, and thereby builds lining.  I can DM you with the exact points etc.

Hugs, 

Red

• My_time likes this
Lilypie Maternity tickers (In)Fertility Journey Details in About Me...

#84 ociwoman

ociwoman

Mamma mia

• Global 100+
  • 820 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 05:43 PM

Hi again everyone,

As promised, I have posted a few tips/information re pursuing egg donor ivf in Europe. Unfortunately, I could not figure out how to add the direct link, but it is under this Donor/Surrogacy board and is called Egg Donoation in Europe - things to consider...

I hope people find it useful and I encourage others to add whatever they have learned from their own European experiences!

Personal update for us

We had our consultation at Ottawa Fertility Centre yesterday. They agreed to do our FETs and were impressed with the number and quality of the snowbabies. The RE has suggested a different protocol to get my lining ready, since I was less responsive to the last one. The protocol will not include birth control pills this time. (We needed it last time since we were doing a fresh DE cycle and needed to synch cycles.) So this time it will be no BCP, Lupron injection, a slightly different estrogen regime, and progesterone oil injected daily in the bottom ass_shake.gif starting at 5 days prior to transfer (Ouch!). OFC will also monitor my estrogen levels through blood work to ensure it is the best time to transfer. So, a few changes to help get us where we need to be for the FET. We have also been in contact with an acupuncturist in prep for the FET.

We do have another appointment next Wednesday at another clinic in our home province of Quebec. If we do the FETs
at that clinic, Quebec will pay for them. Problem is that the closest Quebec clinic is 2.5 hours from our home, while the clinic in Ottawa is 10 mins away. So we need to decide between saving the money and adding the stress of frequent travel, or paying and reducing travel stress. It can never be just straight forward, can it?

So, we will decide next week which clinic to use (leaning toward the closer one). Once that decision is made, we will ship the embies home. The shipping process takes about two weeks due to paper work for customs etc. Both clinics want the embies on site before we start our first FET cycle. (Makes sense!) Fortunately, my cycles are usally pretty short (23 days), so will likely start meds early October with transfer just before Hallowe'en! eyespu.gifwitch.gif You just have to laugh at that one!!!!

Cheers everyone. I am watching your progress and sending sticky wishes. 

• My_time likes this

#85 My_time

My_time

The world says give up! Hope whispers one more time

• Cyclebase
  • 1817 posts
  • Dx:Other

Posted 30 August 2013 - 11:04 AM

Good luck with choosing the right clinic Ociwoman. I do wish you all the best. 

• ociwoman likes this

Diagnosis: Repeated Pregnancy Loss + DOR + Advance maternal Age.

So far no luck with IVF attempts. Hope things take a turn soon.

#86 ociwoman

ociwoman

Mamma mia

• Global 100+
  • 820 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 05:28 PM

Thanks My-time,

Where are you at in your journey?

#87 ociwoman

ociwoman

Mamma mia

• Global 100+
  • 820 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:52 PM

Update:

Met with Ovo 2 weeks ago. Huge clinic. Felt like a number. Told we would be called the following week by the nurse to confirm that the clinic would accept us as patients. Tick tock. No phone call last week. Followed up yesterday and nurse could not find any info. Put me through to head nurse. Got voice mail. Left message. No call back. Seriously?

Have zero confidence in that clinic.

Good thing is that it made us reconsider our next move. Returning to Greece is back on agenda. Will make decision on Friday between shipping embies home/cycling at OFC (we love them!) and returning to Athens. Leaning towards Greece to keep our embies safe!

Please send messages to AF telling her she is no longer fashionably late! 

#88 IRI

IRI
  • Just Hatched
  • 2 posts
  • Dx:Tubal

Posted 13 January 2014 - 07:30 AM

Hello,

I'm new to this "ivf forum" thing - though i'm not new to the ivf experience -, but something in ociwoman's story touched me. Now I want to know the rest of the story....

So, ociwoman, what happened? Did you return to Greece? Did your dream came true??

#89 ociwoman

ociwoman

Mamma mia

• Global 100+
  • 820 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:08 AM

Hi there IRI,

I did end up deciding to continue with the clinic in Greece. They have been so supportive and incredibly responsive. We prepared twice for a FET, but my lining would just not co-operate (it hates synthetic estrogen!), so we had to cancel those two cycles. The clinic has designed a radical new protocol for us, so we are about to start a new cycle.

Stay tuned! :)

• IRI likes this

#90 IRI

IRI
  • Just Hatched
  • 2 posts
  • Dx:Tubal

Posted 13 January 2014 - 02:19 PM

Ociwoman sorry to hear that, but I'm glad threy're treating you right!!!!

I'm thinking about starting with Iakentro my 5th (I think....) IVF try and my first with donor eggs.....

I live in Athens, so distance is no obstacle for me.

i'm just a little disappointed with everything, and the cost is unbearable for us now.....

Sorry for any misspellings.........

And I willl stay tuned!!!!!! flow.gif

#91 Adventure

Adventure
  • Cyclebase
  • 325 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:14 PM

Hi Ociwoman,

What thickness are you aiming for?

#92 ociwoman

ociwoman

Mamma mia

• Global 100+
  • 820 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:14 PM

Hi Adventure,

My clinic in Greece prefers to do transfers with a minimum of 8mm lining, but they would consider (at my insistence) 7mm.

The research I've come across has found that the highest implantation, pregnancy and live birth rates occur when the lining is between 9 and 12 mms. Certainly, that's the gold standard, but I know that many clinics will do tranfers with a 7mm lining.

The kicker for me is that, naturally, my lining gets to 9.5mm on its own and I have no issues other than old eggs (using egg donor). My body just seems to dislike synthetic estrogen. Can't do a truly natural cycle since my cycles are a little unpredictable now. That being said, we are skipping the Lupron and BCP for this cycle.

My first cycle using estrace I got to 7.8 (BFN). The next two cycles used patches (horrible for me!) and had to cancel both because lining never made it past 6.8 and then started to thin out as the transfer date approached. Arggh.... Trying estrace again (no patches) with Tamoxifen this time, and if need be doing Neupogen washes to get my lining up to at least 7mm. Likely to add innohep as well to ensure adequate blood flow to uterus.

After all this, if I never hear the word "estrogen" again, I will be a happy woman! th_asoapbox.gif

• Bubby99 likes this

#93 Bubby99

Bubby99
  • 1000+
  • 1344 posts
  • My Clinic:Hannam, US DE clinic TBD

Posted 15 January 2014 - 01:03 PM

Good luck Ociwoman, I hope this protocol works out for you!!

Me - 37 38 DOR

DH - 39 40 (swimmers perfect)

TTC December 2010

Nautral cycle with clomid - too many to count 2012
Cancelled IUI - July 2012 (cysts)
September 2012 IUI mt Sinai BFN
Switched clinics January 2013 to Hannam
IVF #1
ER July 2013 - 4 follies 1 egg unsure.png 
ET July 2013 - transferred 1 embryo grade 2 7 cell
Current 2ww
Aug 2013 th_abfn.gif cry.gif

Sept 2013 Told IVF with my OE is not going to work cry.gif ...time to move onto to Plan B.

2015 Plan B donor eggs

#94 Adventure

Adventure
  • Cyclebase
  • 325 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:14 AM

Best of luck Ociwoman!

#95 ociwoman

ociwoman

Mamma mia

• Global 100+
  • 820 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:06 AM

Heading to Athens tomorrow for FET on Tuesday. Lining is primed and cooperating beautifully. Fingers crossed this one is it!

• Bubby99 likes this

#96 Adventure

Adventure
  • Cyclebase
  • 325 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 12:41 PM

Fingers crossed!

#97 Ira-babylover

Ira-babylover

Ira

• Global 100+
  • 132 posts
  • My Clinic:PCRM

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:43 AM

Good luck, hope you get pregnant

#98 ociwoman

ociwoman

Mamma mia

• Global 100+
  • 820 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 10:45 AM

Thanks for the support ladies. Transferred two embryos on February 4th and now in 2WW. We return home very late on Feb 13th (hubby's birthday!), and we are supposed to be able to do beta test that day. Won't be able to get to clinic on 13th, so will do a HPT the following morning. I am looking forward to it and dreading it at the same time... I know you know what I mean. icon_wink.gif

• Bubby99 likes this

#99 Adventure

Adventure
  • Cyclebase
  • 325 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 05:16 PM

Fingers, toes, arms, legs all crossed for you!

#100 Bubby99

Bubby99
  • 1000+
  • 1344 posts
  • My Clinic:Hannam, US DE clinic TBD

Posted 09 February 2014 - 05:17 PM

Sending positive baby vibes your way ociwoman!

Me - 37 38 DOR

DH - 39 40 (swimmers perfect)

TTC December 2010

Nautral cycle with clomid - too many to count 2012
Cancelled IUI - July 2012 (cysts)
September 2012 IUI mt Sinai BFN
Switched clinics January 2013 to Hannam
IVF #1
ER July 2013 - 4 follies 1 egg unsure.png 
ET July 2013 - transferred 1 embryo grade 2 7 cell
Current 2ww
Aug 2013 th_abfn.gif cry.gif

Sept 2013 Told IVF with my OE is not going to work cry.gif ...time to move onto to Plan B.

2015 Plan B donor eggs

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ivf abroad, Greek clinics, egg donor ivf, Iakentro