Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:24 AM

#52 ociwoman

ociwoman

Mamma mia

• Global 100+
  • 820 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:51 AM

For egg transfer, we know that if we have a high quality blastocyst in the mix, then we are only transferring one. No disrespect to anyone, but we know as a couple that we only want one child and would prefer not to have twins. So that part is easy.

What's not so easy is what to do if you don't get any high quality blastocysts, and are dealing with some other kind of scenario. From what I have read, there are less chances of pregnancy when dealing with blastocysts that are not "perfect" or when transferring embryos instead of blasts. THOSE situations leave me uncertain.

Am keeping my fingers crossed for at least one (okay maybe three!) high quality blastocysts! One for the first attempt, and two others to freeze.

Who knows how it will unfold? Am still ridiculously grateful that we have made it this far!

#53 ociwoman

ociwoman

Mamma mia

• Global 100+
  • 820 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 02:06 PM

QUICK UPDATE

Our egg donor had another ultrasound today and everything is looking good. Still on track for egg collection early next week! smile.png

#54 fieldofdreams

fieldofdreams
  • 12 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Iakentro, Athens

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:45 AM

Hi Ociwoman, yay!!!  great news!  only two days till you leave, soooo exciting!  Still waiting on my donor details, the person that deals with that in the clinic has been off sick :(  but should know before end of week - really need to get booking soon as well, I'll feel much better when everything is decided and booked. 

If not chating before Saturday, have a great flight and enjoy Athens and good luck!!!  Will be thinking of you.

F. xx

Me: 41 no issues, just age Him: 38 no issues

3 IVF rounds, unsuccesful

Now ready for donor egg & excited!

#55 ociwoman

ociwoman

Mamma mia

• Global 100+
  • 820 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 11:59 AM

Thanks Fieldofdreams!

Tomorrow morning is my ultrasound to check that my lining is now thickened. I've never had a problem with this before, but you never know! Hoping it goes well, so we can get on the plane to Athens on Saturday.

Sorry the woman is sick at the clinic (arrrgh!). I am going to be checking back here, so please share the news when you hear about your donors.

Have you thought about how many embryos you will have transferred when the time comes? That's such an important and personal decision...

Let me know when you've finalized your plans, and I will keep you in the loop on our experience with Ruth, the clinic and of course our process!

Best best best to everyone!

#56 ociwoman

ociwoman

Mamma mia

• Global 100+
  • 820 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 03:03 PM

Another update

Just got a message from our treatment coordinator in Greece saying our donor passed her ultrasound again today and all is looking good! Her next scan is on Saturday and that will tell us the exact date for egg collection. Still looks on track for EC early next week. smile.png

This is so surreal...

#57 fieldofdreams

fieldofdreams
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 05:51 AM

yippee!!!  keep the good news coming! :)

Re your how many embryo's question, probably two, that's the current plan but I think you really don't make that final decision until you are in the situation and know what you have to work with - and as they say, it's a woman's perogative to change her mind!!  Don't stress about it now though, you'll know what to do when the time comes.

What's the weather like in Canada now?  It's lovely and hot in Athens!! 

F. xxx

#58 ociwoman

ociwoman

Mamma mia

• Global 100+
  • 820 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:43 PM

Update

OMG, leaving TOMORROW!!!!!! Had my scan this morning. Was okay, about 6.5 mms, so treatment coordinator (Ruth) advised increasing dose of estrace by 2 mgs for a total of 10mgs (5 pills) per day. 3 pills to be taken orally spread throughout the day, and 1 pill inserted where-the-sun-don't-shine in the morning and at night. I was a bit stressed by the 6.5 mms, but since we've got 7-9 days to go before egg transfer, we should be fine. Will do another scan at the clinic in Greece on the day the donor's eggs are collected to check lining again...

Thanks to everyone for the well wishes! I am so excited I'm jumpy!

Post again soon and good luck to everyone.

Hugs xxx

#59 fieldofdreams

fieldofdreams
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 05:39 AM

Hi all, well we got details of two donors to pick from, both 29, both donated before successfully.  they were both the same re eye colour but the one we have picked has darker hair colour and light olive skin, which both match me more.  Also the one we picked, while a couple of inches taller than me, is smaller than the other one.  Overall, happy with decision and dying to get dates set so we can finally book flights and accommodation.  So all go from this side, and v excited!  

Also v excited to think that ociwoman lands in Athens today - good luck!!!!  

right, best sign off, hope everyone is keeping well. 

F. xxx

#60 ociwoman

ociwoman

Mamma mia

• Global 100+
  • 820 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 11:20 AM

Quick update from Greece!

Hi all, sitting on a roof top bar in front of the Acropolis!!!!   What an exciting few days it has been.

But first, allow me to congratulate fieldofdreams and redsiren on passing through those hurdles. So happy for your second beta Red, and thrilled you have chosen your donor fieldofdreams!  Such great news all around. :)

We had a scan at our clinic in Greece on Monday to check my lining and all was good. Yeah!!

Egg collection was today and we have...... 14 mature eggs to work with. That's far more than we ever anticipated receiving from our donor, so we are extremely happy and grateful. We are aiming for blastocyst transfers, so we will see what the universe will bring us.... ET is hopefully Monday.

I have to say we could not have had such a stress-free treatment so far without the help of the lovely and oh -so-positive Ruth and Simon from ivftreatmentabroad.com.  We now count them among our friends and appreciate the generosity and kindness they have extended to us. Thank you Ruth, Simon, Em and the pack (Inni,, Merlin, Jasper, Maya and Millie)!

Will keep everyone in the loop and fingers crossed for you all. 

Hugs xx

• RedSiren likes this

#61 Adventure

Adventure
  • Cyclebase
  • 325 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 12:58 PM

Best of luck ociwoman! 

• My_time likes this

#62 RedSiren

RedSiren
  • Global 100+
  • 459 posts
  • Interests:Natural Health, Acupuncture, Mind-Body Connection
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:Isis RFC

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:33 PM

FX for you OCIwoman! Grow little embies, grow!

• My_time likes this
Lilypie Maternity tickers (In)Fertility Journey Details in About Me...

#63 fieldofdreams

fieldofdreams
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 03:39 AM

That's fabulous news ociwoman!!!  Keeping everything crossed and glad to hear you are enjoying yourself! 

F. xxx

#64 hope eternal

hope eternal

hopeful

• 39 posts
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:age related

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:22 AM

Hi there. ..I am glad to find this section. So....where to start...we went to Barcelona last summer for a donor cycle and it failed! We had the remaining embroys shipped to Ottawa and off the four...only one was transferred due to quality! So a year later we are starting over....I too am trying to find a donor but it is heart breaking and not easy. We are now planning to go back to Europe. ..my husband and I are both European and a match should be easy enough. ..we are dark haired, olive skin, I have blue eyes however...but again not too hard to match! So....Barcelona ivf quoted us 8000euros for our treatment again. I am leaning towards greece, simply because I have never been. I would love to work with a coordinator this time as last time I did all myself and it was exhausting! Can you let me know if there is a cheaper time to travel to greece? And also which clinic you decided on and why? It is sooo stressful, especially when you go all that way and it does not work! !!

Hello;

I have also had a long time finding a donor here in Ontario.  I have found one, and was going to split a cycle with an American family at a clinic in Michigan, however,  they have become naturally pregnant.  Therefore, I am looking for another family to split cycle with.  My donor is altruistic  she is getting paid for her travelling expenses, which I wrote to HC and they say are allowed.  It is a lot easier to split a cycle in the US than here.  If anyone is interested in sharing a cycle just message me.  [email protected]  thx

It would be to split embryos.

#65 borntobreed

borntobreed
  • 82 posts
  • My Clinic:OFC

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:47 PM

I am so excited to hear how things go in Greece! If anything happens with our donor in Victoria we are heading over to Greece! Best of luck, and keep me posted...

14 is fantastic, and you guys are all smart! When we went to Spain I was not thinking properly and they retrieved 10 which was good, 8 fertilized however they did a 2 day transfer, and a slow freeze on day 2. Well that obviously did not work...so I think you are smart to push it to day 5 or blast as they say...With our cycle in Victoria(fingers crossed) I am not flying out till day 3 or day 4. My hubby is going out for retrieval and doing a fresh sample, and I am staying home until I absolutely have to get there...I am just so tired of all this, and I can't take much time off work. I just started a new job, and I can not tell them anything until my probationary period is over.

K...I am rambling, but good luck!!

#66 ScarlettJ

ScarlettJ
  • Just Hatched
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 05:03 PM

My partner and I recently attended SERUM Clinic for IVF treatment using donor eggs, I returned home not pregnant. I recently googled 'shared donor egg program greece' because we were considering returning to Greece for another round of treatment. I came across ociwoman's comments on SERUM.

I feel violated, ill and horrified that I received what I thought was 'medical treatment' from someone without the appropriate training. I feel ripped off. It makes me sick to think that we travelled overseas and paid 5,000 euros for treatment that was supposed to be provided by a medical doctor. This woman conducted my internal examinations, advised us of the embryos we should have implanted and performed the embryo transfer. She was not qualified to perform these tasks. At no stage were we advised that Penny is not a doctor.

I am going to follow up my concerns with Greece's appropriate health department, WHO and the foreign affairs department in our home country.

I am horrified that the Greek Government allows this to happen. I won't be returning to Greece for further treatment, I have lost trust in the country following our experience. It is despicable.

#67 ociwoman

ociwoman

Mamma mia

• Global 100+
  • 820 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:54 AM

Update from Greece,

Hi to everyone! Have not been able to post as of late, but all is well. :)

We were fortunate that our donor produced 16 eggs, 14 mature, with 11 fertilizing, and 8 making it to wonderful 5-day blastocysts. We transferred two on Monday, and six are now vitrified for future use if necessary.  

Soooo, we are officially PUPO! Woohoo!

I cannot say enough good things about the quality of care and professional services provided by our clinic, Iakentro Athens. I do want to adress the previous post by ScarlettJ. First, I am so sorry about your experience at the SERUM clinic in Greece. Like any country (our beautiful one included), there is always the potential to come across an unscrupulous clinic, and I am saddened to hear what happened to you.  When I found out about SERUM, I spoke with our treatment coordinator to advise her that we wanted no dealings with that clinic whatsoever. She confirmed that she does not deal with them. 

Secondly, it's a really strange thing because many of the women on the UK forum absolutely SWEAR by the SERUM clinic despite knowing the history of that particular clinic (i.e., the coordinator is a scientist who is married to the RE of the clinic, and she is not a certified health care practitioner despite doing transfers!)  Like you, I was shocked when I found that out. Despite my raising the issue on that UK site, sooo many women came to SERUM's defence, claiming successful treatment. I can't figure out the loyalty, but I won't judge them for it for sure. My personal position, however, still is: fertility treatment should only done by qualified licenced medical practitioners. That's what I am comfortable with (and I suspect most Canadians are too). Go figure...

To be on the safe side, we checked out the credentials of all the Greek clinics we were interested in, including the REs and the embryologists. We choose IAKENTRO because the founding doctors are experienced and respected. We also found a few other patients on the UK forums that used them and were satisfied with their care. The week before our treatment, we were introduced by our treatment coordinator to both the clinic founder (well-published doctor who is currently Professor of Obstatrics/Gyna at Aristotle University), in addition to the clinic doctor who would do the egg retrieval and transfer (I forgot his name!!!), and the embryologist who would handle our embryos. On the transfer day we were greeted by a team of 3: the embryologist who talked to us about our blastocysts, the doctor who pepared me and completed the transfer, and the technician who assisted in guiding the ultrasound on my belly. It was a true careful team effort. We were impressed to say the least. We never got this kind of personalized care in the two reputable Canadian clinics we have dealth with so far. 

So now, we wait. I feel that everything that could have been medically done to support us was, and now it is entirely up to my body to decide to grow a baby or not. We are hopeful and are happy to have some excellent quality snowbabies in case we are not successful on the first try.

We return to Canada on August 12th (currently on the island of Spetses) and next test is HCG blood test on August 14 at OFC. 

Now, let me catch up with everyone else, and please go ahead and ask any questions you may have. I hope I can help!

th_abighug.gif  

#68 ociwoman

ociwoman

Mamma mia

• Global 100+
  • 820 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 11:04 AM

Okay, so we are about half way through our 2ww now (4dp5dt). 

First blood HCG test next Wednesday morning.

Tick-tock. Tick tock   1087.gif

• My_time likes this

#69 Kirip

Kirip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 11:01 PM

Hi ociwoman,

I have just started following your journey and am so grateful for all your insights and for sharing all the research you and your husband did. We are just starting on this journey ourselves. We are Brits living in Canada and are researching the best clinics for us. We are of East Indian heritage so the key will be to find the right clinic with access to the eggs but all the other tests you refer to you in your earlier blog which I wouldn't have even known to ask about so thank you. I have emailed Ruth to see if her clinics are a possibility for us.

I wish you all the best and hope that your get the result you deserve!

PS On Serum, Earlier this year I contacted Penny on the absolute recommendation of a close friend of mine who had success after many years of trying and had no idea about all the lack of credentials...crazy! Thankfully, I did not follow up as I was not ready for that next step then and thankfully I found this forum!

#70 Aimy

Aimy
  • 94 posts
  • Dx:Endometriosis
  • My Clinic:Toronto, ON

Posted 12 August 2013 - 08:40 AM

Hi gils, thanks for such a nice thread. I'm up to start a DE cycle in Cyprus. I have a deca injection on day 21 of my cycle but I don't know how many days after that I will get my period? I need this to be able to book my flights. I hope you can help me with this. Thanks a wish you all the best.

• My_time likes this

Me 31, DH 31, Married 2007
TTC: 2 years

IVF #1: 28 Sep 2011
OCT 29th: ER (7 EGGs), 6 Fertilized
NOV 3rd: ET 1d5 Blast. and 1d6 stored.
NOV 14th: BFN

FET #1: Feb 2011
FEB 2nd: FET 1d6 blastocyte
FEB 16th: BFN

IVF #2 - June/July2012
No Response

IVF #3 - September/October 2012 - Modified Microdose Flare Protocol
AF Sept. 30; begin Marvelon for 21 days
Suprefact 5mg t
wice daily; 375IU Menopur; 225IU Puregon
Est. ER Nov. 3 -
Est. ET Nov. 5 - 7

only 1 eggy, BFN

DOR, low AFC

#71 RedSiren

RedSiren
  • Global 100+
  • 459 posts
  • Interests:Natural Health, Acupuncture, Mind-Body Connection
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:Isis RFC

Posted 12 August 2013 - 08:48 AM

It is hard to predict how long after your injection on CD 21 you will get your period. They typically say within two weeks. Mine came within a week, right on schedule for a 28 day cycle.

Good luck,

Red

• Aimy and My_time like this
Lilypie Maternity tickers (In)Fertility Journey Details in About Me...

#72 Aimy

Aimy
  • 94 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:02 AM

It is hard to predict how long after your injection on CD 21 you will get your period. They typically say within two weeks. Mine came within a week, right on schedule for a 28 day cycle.

Good luck,

Red

Thanks, mine is 26 days so I assume it should come at the time that I expect it, hopefully. 

IVF #2 - June/July2012
No Response

Suprefact 5mg t
Est. ER Nov. 3 -
Est. ET Nov. 5 - 7

only 1 eggy, BFN

DOR, low AFC

#73 ociwoman

ociwoman

Mamma mia

• Global 100+
  • 820 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 01:32 PM

Hi Aimy,

I was just like Redsiren... had my Lupron injection on July 3rd and my AF arrived on July 10th.

Are you also taking BCP?

Good luck in Cyprus. Please come back and share your experience afterwards!

xx

#74 Aimy

Aimy
  • 94 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:53 AM

Hi Aimy,

I was just like Redsiren... had my Lupron injection on July 3rd and my AF arrived on July 10th.

Are you also taking BCP?

Good luck in Cyprus. Please come back and share your experience afterwards!

xx

Hi, 

Thanks for the response. I also got the feedback from the nurse, she said in about a week I should expect it. Any way I already booked our flights and hotels. I'm trying to do not be stressed about it, hopefully everything will work as it is planned. Reading your experience was really good for me. I would love to share mine here too and I wish it will be as good and positive as yours. 

IVF #2 - June/July2012
No Response

Suprefact 5mg t
Est. ER Nov. 3 -
Est. ET Nov. 5 - 7

only 1 eggy, BFN

DOR, low AFC

#75 ociwoman

ociwoman

Mamma mia

• Global 100+
  • 820 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:57 AM

Hi all,

It is a BFN for us. Not too surprised by the result since my uterine lining was never optimal for this cycle. We were always at the borderline of acceptable (6.4mms at 10 days prior to transfer and then 8.2 mms one week prior to transfer).  I know that statistically pregnancy can still occur with an 8mm lining, but, to me, that is the lower end of the scale. Ideally, for my body, I think it would have been better to have a thicker lining at that point. And so we learn.... 

Good news is that we now have the luxury of time for our FETs and we can makes sure that my lining is OPTIMAL. 

Currently looking at whether to bring our 6 blasts back to Canada or go back to Greece for a FET. DH has to be in Europe on business in September, so he may hop over to get them from the clinic and bring them back here. We are residents of Quebec, so any FETS will be free. Might also just ship them back here with a specialist company, although pricey. Or, I may return to Greece in October (we have free flights and hotels due to points) to do an FET. Not sure yet. Depends on what our home clinic is comfortable working with...

So that is where we are at. I am still happy to answer any questions or receive any comments. In particular, I would love to hear how any of you prepared for your FETs? What meds did you take (in which format) to prepare your lining?

Best to everyone!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ivf abroad, Greek clinics, egg donor ivf, Iakentro