115 replies to this topic

#26 My_time

My_time

The world says give up! Hope whispers one more time

• Cyclebase
  • 1817 posts
  • Dx:Other

Posted 19 June 2013 - 10:50 AM

Baby.hopes and fieldofdreams - welcome to IVF.ca.

I hope to see more posts from you guys sharing your stories... 

Strange that all of you are going through Ruth... What are the ODDS that all of you use her and ended up here in one post?

Diagnosis: Repeated Pregnancy Loss + DOR + Advance maternal Age.

So far no luck with IVF attempts. Hope things take a turn soon.

#27 ociwoman

ociwoman

Mamma mia

• Global 100+
  • 820 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:11 AM

Welcome, welcome, welcome to Baby.Hopes and Fieldofdreams! What a small world it is that we are all working with the oh-so-lovely-Ruth Pellow for egg donation at Iakentro, Athens!

It will be fantastic to share our experiences on here for everyone. I am really looking forward to it.

We just chose our donor today. She is 25, Romanian, 5 feet 7 inches tall, brown eyes, dark brown hair, light complexion, and same blood type as me. She is currently a university student. We were also offered a Greek donor with very similar characteristics, but about 3 inches shorter than me, so we went with the Romanian woman since we are the same height. I will say that it was difficult choosing without a picture. I did clarify with Ruth that they do match couples with donors that look similar to the intended mother to ensure that they will fit into the family. So that left me feeling much more confident, for sure!

We will be flying to Athens on July 27, arriving July 28th, and staying in Ruth's new apartment until two days after egg transfer. Then we are taking the ferry to the Greek island of Spetses to rest and relax for 5 nights before heading back to Canada. It will be a great vacation!

I am on BCP now, which has been fine. My next meds will be the injection on day 21 of my cycle. Now that we have chosen our donor, the egg collection date is set for July 30th or 31st. Ruth will be sending me and my monitoring clinic my detailed treatment plan in the next few days. Sooo exciting!!!

We have so much to learn from Baby.Hopes' experiences - she's the leader of the pack!

Looking forward to more posts.

Best to all :)

#28 ociwoman

ociwoman

Mamma mia

• Global 100+
  • 820 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:25 PM

IMPORTANT CLARIFICATION

To any potential couples considering egg donor ivf in Greece with Iakentro, please note that if you would like to ensure that your treatment is co-ordinated by Fertility Nurse Ruth Pellow, you need to contact her directly at ivftreatmentabroad.com. While she is a fertility nurse who is affiliated with the Iakentro clinics, she will only be coordinating your treatment if you make contact with her directly first. Otherwise, you will be dealing directly with the clinic.

I am very happy that we found Ruth and that she is the coordinator between us and the Iakentro clinic. Here's why...

• We have not had to deal with any language barriers
  • We can ask her any question (no matter how big, small or silly!) and she answers everything
  • She always answers our emails promptly (despite the time difference!)
  • She is coordinating our treatment with our satellite monitoring clinic here at home
  • She offered advice on planing our trip to Greece
  • We can communicate free of charge - even by telephone
  • She has been very caring and informative
  • She is free!

Working with her has made this whole process sooo much simpler! And when we get down to the wire and we need as much info as possible about how the donor's stimulation, egg collection, and embryo development, it is great to know that she will be the one communicating that crucial information to to us. 

Sound like an endorsement? Sure is!

PS. Picking up the rest of my cycle meds this week! Woo hoo!!!!!!!

#29 ociwoman

ociwoman

Mamma mia

• Global 100+
  • 820 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 03:46 PM

Update:

Officially starting my egg donor ivf cycle tomorrow with the Lupron-Depot injection to supress ovulation. Husband is on business abroad, so thankfully my dear friend will be giving me the injection - I would be so nervous that I would screw it up!  

Getting excited - time has really flown...

#30 fieldofdreams

fieldofdreams
  • 12 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Iakentro, Athens

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:05 AM

Hi all, I've been off radar for a week or so, but back on again!  Ociwoman, how exciting!!!  I'm in that annoying part of it all where nothing happens, and I'm a very impatient person! LOL  All my info and details have been sent to Ruth and she will be talking to the clinc over the next week or so, so I just have to wait until I hear from her.  I'm currently waiting to see if I need to get any more tests done and I will probably be starting drugs of some sort by the end of July.  I've only emailed Ruth once to annoy her, which my husband was very surprised at - seriously not a patient person at all!!!  I'm dying to get moving on it all, at least once I have my dates, I can start booking the holiday which will be a good distraction :)

I also completely endorse what you have said about Ruth and using her services, she is wonderful and I'm so glad I found her.  And it is great to have someone to ask all the really silly questions you mightnt have asked a clinic!  I can't wait to have to pick our donor, and height is a big thing for me, I'm only 5' 1" so really don't want anyone much taller than that, fingers crossed! 

Good luck with your injection ociwoman, I could never do my own with IVF, so glad not to have to go through all of that again although very grateful that someone else is doing it for me!

Also, how long is your ferry ride to the island?  We were thinking of going closer to Athens, like Aegina or Agkistri, only an hour journey.

Well, keep updating and good luck with the meds everyone!!

F. xx

Me: 41 no issues, just age Him: 38 no issues

3 IVF rounds, unsuccesful

Now ready for donor egg & excited!

#31 ociwoman

ociwoman

Mamma mia

• Global 100+
  • 820 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:09 PM

Hi FieldofDreams,

Had my (one and only!) Luprong-Depot injection yesterday. Was no problem. My best friend works in health care, so this was a breeze for her. It was a special moment for us as friends, because she was effectively officially kicking off my cycle. We were so excited we were giddy!

I hear what you mean about trying to be patient. I never knew how hard it was to just wait! Like you, I was so anxious to get news about the donors, but in reality, it wasn't long at all. In our case, the clinic matched us with a donor about 6-7 weeks ahead of our desired egg collection date. It seemed excruciatingly long to wait at the time, but really, when I think about it now, that was a pretty short time... Try to keep busy, FieldofDreams, and before you know it, you will be speaking with Ruth and having to make your choice of donor! (Please come here and share it with us when you get the news!)

For the island of Spetses, we will be leaving from the Port of Piraeus in Athens. The ferry takes 2 hours and 10 minutes. There are several crossings per day. I will be in the 2ww at that point and I am thinking that a 2 hour ride across the sea will be an awesome distraction!

We looked at Aegina or Agkistri as well, and would have preferred going there, but the better accommodations were already entirely booked. We will be in Athens during the Greek's peak vacation period, so many of the hotels were already booked on the closer islands, so we set out sights a little further. Since you will be there in September, you have a ton more choice - lucky you!!!

My next step: take last birth control pill on Saturday and then advise Ruth when AF arrives so we can book my first lining ultrasound... yeah!

Please come back and update us as you go along, and I will do the same.

Cheers!

#32 fieldofdreams

fieldofdreams
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:42 AM

Hi Ociwoman,

So your last pill was on Saturday!!!  You must be SO excited at this point! 

I got my meds prescription today and had it ordered within 5 mins of getting the email, eager or what?!  I've never been so excited to get a prescription before LOL  I'm even looking forward to getting my blood tests done, we're just waiting on details to get all that done.  And we're currently looking at around the 12th/13th Sept for collection, will keep you updated.

I've gone back and forth a couple of times on whether to tell people we are getting anything done and if so, what to tell.  With the 3 IVF's there are a couple of close friends, immediate family and my boss who knew.  This time we are not telling anyone outside immediate family that we are doing anything.  So everyone just thinks that we have decided to go on holiday.  There are one or two very close friends who have been told we are doing IVF again and we were just going to say that to the immediate family as well, but feel kind of bad lying to the parents so I think we are going to tell them what the plan is.   We have discussed it with them and they know it was an option we were considering. 

It's such a mine field thought, isn't it?  Especially when there are so many different opinions out there.  Ultimately, we need to just do what is right for us and as I am now fond of saying - if I meet someone and they say they are pregnant, I don't ask them how they did that!  Most people you meet really won't care, it just seems so much bigger to us.  Our plan for now is to tell immediate family and close friends some time after I am pregnant that it was donor egg, after that the child will be brought up knowing about it and then it is their decision whether to tell other people or not.  Having said that, who knows what will happen down the line.  I do know that I was getting quite stressed out about it all, what to tell and who and when, so when we decided to not say anything and just tell people as and when we felt like it after getting pregnant, I was so relieved and now don't really stress about it that much (obviously a little bit though seen as I'm ranting on a bit here!!) 

Anywho, feel free to comment, not comment, share or not share on this bit, but ultimately, thanks for listening!

I should probably go now and do some work!  Or just search more accomodation in Greece! hehe

Chat soon,

F. xx

#33 ociwoman

ociwoman

Mamma mia

• Global 100+
  • 820 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:15 PM

Hi there fieldofdreams, so nice to hear from you! Am so glad you get your meds list. It's exciting, isn't it? Are you lucky enough to have your meds covered by insurance? Fertility meds are sooo expensive in Canada, that I don't know how anyone can afford them her without insurance. I think mine cost about $1,100 Canadian (about 850 euros) to prepare the uterus for donor egg. I have heard the ovary stim meds can cost almost $5,000 Canadian! Ouch!

Took my last bcp Saturday night and am now waiting for AF to arrive (probably tomorrow). Scan is scheduled for Friday morning, then start estrogen, folic acid and aspirin next week. Hard to believe we fly out in 18 days!!!

Re what to tell friends and family about using a donor. Well, like everyone else, we've thought long and hard about this one. We have told 3 friends and my DH's mother that we are seekig help to conceive. I find that point alone conjurs up emotions in people. I have also found that people in general can't imagine having children in their 40s, so they are always quite astonished when we even mention that we want a child together. So that's sort of the first "issue" that we have to deal with: people who think that we should think like them and not want children at this point in our lives. Like you said, there are a lot of opinions around ivf and when using donor eggs, I find the opinions are even stronger...  

Two people know we are using donor eggs - my 27 year old friend who has POF and has one failed ivf cycle with her own eggs, and my older friend who has had her tubes tied. They are both very supportive and pretty excited for us. My older friend knows nothing about ivf or donor ivf, so she has been quite intrigued.

We have not told our families about using a donor. My Mom is old school and does not even believe that women over 35 should have kids (!), so she certainly does not support ivf, much less a donor of any kind! We have pretty much left her out of the loop since she is not really a source of support anyways... (What can you do, but keep moving on?) My DH's Mother, on the other hand, is COMPLETELY supportive of our having a child (I think she wants it as badly as we do!). We have not mentioned to her yet that it is with a donor egg. She would not care one way or the other frankly, but she does like to "share news" with people and we want to have some control over who, how and when we tell others. If we are lucky enough to give birth, we will tell both of our mothers some time afterwars, when the moment feels right.

Re our child, our plan is to tell him/her once s/he becomes old enough to understand. No secret there, but do want to be responsible with sharing his/her story appropriately.

Bottom line: IVF and egg donation are pretty loaded topics for some people, so we are being careful about whom we tell so that we don't have to deal with THEIR emotions while WE are trying to conceive. I know you know what I mean!!!

On a more positive note, please let me know when you hear about your proposed donors!!!!! What an exciting moment that will be.

I will come back here and post as I go along so that you can hear all about my experience with Iakentro, Ruth and Athens. Talk again soon.  :)

#34 ociwoman

ociwoman

Mamma mia

• Global 100+
  • 820 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:46 PM

Update

Hi everyone. Thought I would provide a quick update...

As predicted by our lovely treatment coordinator, Ruth at ivftreatmentabroad.com AF arrived today right on time! Funny thing is that I was actually a bit nervous that it may not start on time! If it had arrived a few days later I was afraid we might have to postpone our cycle until next month. Our dress donor ET is scheduled 4-5 days before the greek clinic closes for holidays, so I suddenly got nervous that my AF could start late and screw everything up!  Phew! I swear we worry abut everything while we are in cycle, don't we?

I want to repeat how blessed we feel to have found Ruth. My DH the scientist was pretty impressed with when my AF arrived exactly as predicted by Ruth. Feels great to have her there just in case. What is even better is that she can find her patients an apartment close to her home in Athens, so she is never too far when it comes down to the big decisions related to ET day.  Such a great thing...

My next step is an ultrasound in 2 days to check if my lining is nice and thin before we start estrogen to build the lining up next week. It's all falling in to place!

Update again in a few days....

#35 ociwoman

ociwoman

Mamma mia

• Global 100+
  • 820 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 09:49 AM

Hi all,

Had our ultrasound today to check that my lining is thin and there are no cysts. We are all good!

Next step is to start Estrace, Folic Acid, and Aspirin on Tuesday. Then one more u/s will be done two weeks from today to ensure my lining has thickened appropriately, and we board the plane to Athens!

For those of you considering egg donor ivf in Greece here is a bit about how we are paying our clinic overseas:

At our clinic, you need to transfer the funds about about two weeks before the donor's egg collection. This will permit the clinic to pay for the donor's meds and monitoring, and will ensure that all the money has arrived in Greece by the time you get there about 12 days later. This can be done through a wire transfer from your bank. In our case, the Greek clinic has an account with a UK finance company called Global Currency Exchange Network (gcen.co.uk). They offer excellent exchange rates - much better than if we converted the money here in Canada.

The total cost for our donor ivf cycle is 5000 euros. Because it is a UK finance company, we need to pay the fees in British pounds. The equivalent of 5000 euros in pounds (based on today's rates) is 4315 pounds. How it works is that you open an account with GCEN, and you tell them you want to buy (in our case) 4315 pounds with your Canadian dollars. They tell you how much that will cost, and then you ask your Canadian bank to transfer your Canadian dollars to the GCEN account in the UK. The cost of the wire transfer at your Canadian bank is usually about $35. You tell GCEN that you want the money to be converted to british pounds and then deposited into the Greek clinic's account, and your done!  Simple really. 

And not to worry all the money transfers are regulated and tracked, so there is no risk with your funds.

TIP:  You get a much better currency exchange rate going straight through GCEN, then if you had bought the british pounds at your Canadian bank, and then transferred the pounds to GCEN. We will save about $200 by not converting the money in Canada. 

And for anyone who is curious about the cost: the entire egg donor ivf treatment, including:

• donor compensation,
  • donor screening,
  • donor meds,
  • donor ivf monitorting
  • donor egg collection
  • sperm collection
  • ICSI (standard practice for Greek clinics)
  • egg transfer,
  • cryopreservation of any leftover eggs for up to 5 years, and
  • treatment coordination services of Ruth Pellow from ivftreatmentabroad.com

Cost us only: 5000 euros or $6,768 Canadian dollars.

My medications cost about $1,000 Canadian but were 100% covered by insurance.

The satellitle monitoring in Canada cost about another $600 CDN which we paid to our Clinic in Ottawa.

When you consider that the same donor egg cycle without ICSI or the cost of freezing excess embies in Canada costs about $14,000 (includes her pre-screening and testing that cannot be charged to a provincial insurance plan) PLUS the additional cost of the donor's stimulation meds, PLUS all the other expenses related to the donor’s time off work, her travel, her accommodations, child care fees, etc., the savings is phenomenal. In our case, the costs for our original US donor to be screened and tested in the US, then come to Canada twice, once for 10 days, would have added about another $7K to our price tag. You can obviously avoid the cost of travel/accommodation if you can find a Canadian donor in your city, but after looking for one for 18 months, we were forced to broaden our search. 

Obviously, you have to add to our costs the cost of our trip and accommidations in Greece. Even adding that in, the cost to us total is about $12K compared to the $24K scenario we were looking at earlier using a Canadian clinic with a US donor.  And we get a two week vacation in Europe out of it too... 

So, if you are unable to find a donor in Canada, Europe is definitely an affordable option.

Onward ho!

Best to everyone!

So there IS a way to do donor egg ivf in a more economical fashion

• MB. likes this

#36 fieldofdreams

fieldofdreams
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:10 AM

Hi, quick check in - ociwoman, yay to your AF timings and yay to your ultrasound!  Everything on track and time passing quickly, you'll be over there before you know it!! 

I start some of my meds 2nd day of AF which should arrive just before the weekend.  Got all my swabs and bloods done over the weekend and results are already winging their way to Ruth!  Am hoping will have donor info next week - fingers crossed!!! 

Right, back to work!  Chat later,

F. xx

#37 ociwoman

ociwoman

Mamma mia

• Global 100+
  • 820 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:57 AM

Such awesome news, fieldofdreams! I can't wait for you to get the details about your prospective donors. The time really does just fly by after that (we've got 12 days before we fly out and I can't believe it!).

What meds will you be starting first? Have you taken those before with good results/few side effects?

In terms of side effects so far, I think I have had it pretty good. Have had some dizziness and morning headaches since about 3 days post Lupron injection (I think your equivalent is the Prostap injection in the UK), but other than that things have been great. I increased my fluids intake and just make sure I move slowly from a sitting/lying to a standing position to ensure I don't fall over!!! :)   I have heard that some women may get hot flashes, but I have not experienced those so far. Fingers crossed!

Tomorrow I start the estrogen tablets, so am hoping that side effects remain minimal... It's all absolutely worth every ache or pain though! Not complaining, just sharing... :)  

Please keep stopping by to share your progress.

Cheers!

#38 fieldofdreams

fieldofdreams
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:52 AM

Hi Ociwoman, I'll be starting Microgynon tablets.  From what you have written, the drugs are a lot cheaper over here, unless you are on very different things.  For me it has only cost CAD$319, but nothing is covered on insurance, so you are lucky with that.  During my 3 IVF rounds I didn't really have many side effects from the meds (my husband may disagree with that, LOL!), apart from being really bloaty, I didn't feel bad, so hopefully this will be even easier - but as you say, dosent matter if it's not cause it's all worth it!

I'm looking forward to finally being able to book our accomodation, I keep changing my mind about where we will go!  Currently I'm thinking we will just go to Aegina and get the ferry to Athens as and when needed.  As it's looking like our collection dates could be mid week which means it would be a bit more awkward to book two locations if going weekend to weekend.  Will just have to wait and see, but v excited at the thought of it all. 

I also keep starting to get a bit excited in my head about the fact that I could be pregnant by October... and while I want to get excited about it, I do try and dampen it down a bit, previous experience and all that.  so that's the other reason it's good to be focusing on the holiday part, i just switch over to trip planner mode instead (i love having stuff to organise)!  although at the moment, I'm more excited for you heading off in 11 days!!! 

Gotta dash, chat later :)

F. xxx

#39 ociwoman

ociwoman

Mamma mia

• Global 100+
  • 820 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 02:30 PM

Update: Started estrogen this morning. Yeah! And donor's period is due anytime now, so she can start her injections.

Wow, fieldofdreams, can't believe how much cheaper the drugs cost in the UK compared to Canada!!! The expensive meds here are the Lupron-Depot injection (Avrekap in UK) and the progesterone. One injection of Lupron costs around $360 CDN! It simply makes no sense that there would be such a big difference!! 

I know what you mean about thinking of being pregnant very soon. It's over-the-top exciting. I am trying to take a different view on things. I know that many people view the whole 2ww as a dreadful time, but I am looking at it as being wonderfully PUPO! To me, if we are lucky enough to get to the ET stage, than that alone is someting worth celebrating. DH and I will be happy to walk around - even if only for two weeks - knowing that I am "pregnant" with his baby until somebody tells us otherwise. I want to try and frame it positively, and enjoy that time together hoping, rather than worrying too much. Will I pull it off? Who knows? But it is quite an adventure for us to try, that's for sure. Perhaps since my DH and I are older, we are maybe more okay with things if they don't work out. I am just happy that we are trying.

Anyways, all this positivism might make people want to barf, so I will stop here for today!

P.S. I LOVE organizing stuff too - I must have been a travel agent in another life! Do share where you decide to stay. We may hope over to Aegina for a day, as I hear it is really lovely. 

Cheers!

#40 ociwoman

ociwoman

Mamma mia

• Global 100+
  • 820 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:14 AM

QUICK UPDATE

Our donor started her period and her ivf meds today! Still hard to believe but we are perfectly on schedule.

It's strange knowing that a young woman far off in Greece has started injecting herself with medications to help my husband and I have a baby. We are so grateful to her. 

Nine days to go before we fly to Athens!

#41 poshskirt

poshskirt
  • 8 posts
  • My Clinic:Iakentro?

Posted 19 July 2013 - 01:36 PM

Hi there,

I want to share my experience so far with donor egg ivf in Greece and to give information to others who may be considering going abroad for their treatment - it's not as scary as you think!

CONSIDERATIONS

Cost:

A FRESH donor egg ivf in Greece, costs between 5000-6000 euros. This includes EVERYTHING except the cost of the medications that you require to prepare your endometrium for the egg transfer. Cost for your meds that you buy in Canada are approx $500 depending on what your needs are. In my case, the meds are 100% covered by insurance, so check your insurance company too.

The cost you pay to the clinic (we are dealing with Iakentro Clinic in Athens) includes:

- the donor's fee, the donor's medications, the donor's screening and donor's medical fees,

- the egg retrieval

- the sperm collection and sperm washing

- ICSI if it is needed

- assisted hatching

- transfer of 5 day blastocists

- all of the recipients medical needs at the Greek clinic

- vitrification (freezing) and storage of embryos/blasticists fo 5 years.

There is no agency fee for the donor.

You pay for your flight, accommodation and meals in Greece. The travel costs can be greatly reduced if you have your treatment in the Spring, Fall or Winter because summer travel/stay in Greece is more expensive. So choose a smart travel time.

The difference in cost between North American treatment and European treatment, even when you consider the travel costs is absolutely ridicuous! We looked at going to the US, and the costs for egg donor ivg would have been around $35,000 including travel, compared to $10K including travel in Greece.

TRAVEL REQUIRED

You will need to stay in Greece for 10 days. Iakentro schedules your treatment with the egg donor in such a way that you can actually plan ahead for your travel and take advantage of reduced fares. It is smart to buy a ticket that you can change travel dates without too much penalty. Same thing for hotel reservations - choose something you can cancel without a fee.

Even when you add the cost of travel for Greece, it is still far less expensive than donor ivf in North America.

Because there is a shortage of donors in Canada, many couples (like us) cannot find an altruistic donor. We searched for a donor for a year in Canada. Everyone wanted to paid for their eggs (I am not passing judgement, just stating our reality). As you know, Canadian law prohibits paying a woman for her eggs. And now, with the recent changes the law in late 2012, it is nearly impossilbe to reimburse an egg donor for her expenses too! This is no longer a viable option for many couples in Canda.

We have inquired with the Canada Revenue Agency and were advised that if our doctor writes a letter to support our need to search for a donor and treatment abroad, then we can submit the cost of the treatment AND the travel expenses as deductions on our tax return. Nice!

It is important to note that if the treatment fails, and you had frozen eggs left over, the intended mother would need to return to Greece for another cycle. The cost of the thaw and transfer of the eggs is minimal (about 1000 euros), but the stay in Greece would be much shorter (only a few days). Still WAY cheaper than North America, even with a second trip.

WHO ARE THE DONORS

You never get to see the donor because egg donation is completely anonymous in Greece. At first, that made us worry a bit about not having full control, but after speaking with two clinics in Greece, and a British fertility nurse we know who worked in four clinics in Greece and Spain, we were advised that the Greek clinics have thousands of young donors of many different nationalities. Many are university students under 25. The clinics work very hard to match the donor and recipient based on looks (eyes, hair, complexion, height, blood type, and nationality) and also consider other "requirements" such as education, interests, etc. You provide them with a picture of yourself, one of your partner, and any kids you may have had together already and they work hard to find your match. I honestly believe that they likely choose the same donor that you would choose if you got to pick from pictures yourself. If you can make this leap of faith, you than this is an option for you.

Added bonus: they always idenfity a back up donor that is also very closely matched to you, just in case something does not work out along the way.

They will give you information on both of the donors (nothing that you can trace them with) and you get to approve the donors before proceeding. 

There are no waiting lists for donors. It takes about 2-4 weeks to match you with your donors because the clinics have extensive donor lists of all nationalities available. People from the UK, for example, are very big international users of Greek clinics for egg donation. 

Note that there is a provision in Greek law to allow the identity of an egg donor to be revealed at a later date, should there be a need to have important medical information related to the child that was born from the donor's egg.

DONOR TESTING

Greek clinics do more extensive donor screening than anything I have seen in Canada or the US. They screen for far more STDs, more genetic and hereditary diseases, and do a full psychological work up. And I don't just mean getting a list of family illnesses from the donor, but they actually run genetic and medical tests for certain diseases, immune issues, etc.

In addition, the clinic we are with only uses PROVEN donors meaning that their egg donation resulted in a pregnancy that was verified by ultrasound. The back-up donor, however, may be a first time donor.

One of the unique things about donor programs in Greece is that they follow the donors medically for a considerable length of time after the donation to ensure ongoing health. This is in STARK contrast to North American clinics who do not track donors in any way, much less offer free medical check-ups post donation/

RECIPIENT TESTING

I also find that Greek clinics ask for a few more tests (done in your own country) on both the intended mother and father. Not too many more, but you can see that they want to make sure that the couple is in the best health to provide the sperm and to receive the egg transfer. I am extremely expressed.

SUCCESS RATES

Greek clinics are reporting pregnancy rates (confirmed by ultrasound) around 65 to 70% per egg transfer with donor eggs.  I have heard that Spain also has excellent care and excellent success rates. They are a little bit more expensive than Greece.  American and Canadian pregnancy rates (confirmed by ultrasound) average closer to 55 with donor eggs.

QUALITY OF TREATMENT

European countries are leading the fertility/ivf world in terms of research and cutting edge practices. Do a google search and you will see what I mean. The UK is particularly advanced and is currently practicing the most advanced embryo selection procedures in the world with outstanding success. The other european countires are now adopting these methods as well.

-----------------------------------

Last thought: A world reknown reproductive endicronoligist from the UK recently costed out the TRUE cost of one IVF cycle. He included in his calculation the costs for all medical testing, generously paid medical pesonnel, and all overhead such as equipment, building costs, etc, and guess what the actual cost of one cycle really costs a medium sized clinic that does 2000 ivf procedures a year in the UK?

700 euros. ($1,000 Canadian)

We are completely sold on our choice, and are so happy to have found this information about ivf in Greece. Our fresh egg transfer will be at the end of July. We will be advised of the details of our donors next week, so if people show interest in this topic, I would be happy to post our experience along the way, so we can all judge for ourselves! 

Warm wishes and good luck to everyone. I help this may have helped someone else!

Hi Ociwoman,

Thanks so much for all that info!

I'm also looking to go to Iakentro in January and would very much like to stay in contact with you to find out how you get on and how the whole experience is for you, if that would be ok?

Best wishes,

Zoe x

#42 ociwoman

ociwoman

Mamma mia

• Global 100+
  • 820 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:45 PM

Hello Poshskirt and welcome to ivf.ca!

There are three of us on here going to Iakentro for donor eggs. I am in cycle now, another poster will be in cycle in September, and the third is just starting her process with Ruth Pellow and Iakentro. There are also two other women cycling with Iakentro that are on the UK boards. We are all sharing stories, and you are welcome to join in and share your experience too! 

If you've got questions, I am sure that one of us can answer.

Looking forward to following your journey, Zoe. 

Best wishes for success!

#43 ociwoman

ociwoman

Mamma mia

• Global 100+
  • 820 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:48 AM

Leaving for Athens on Saturday. Hard to believe it's so close!

Everything is still on schedule. Increased the dose of Estrace as per schedule last Saturday. Final increase in Estrace is set for Wednesday and DH will start his antibiotic to prevent any last minute infections that could hamper his "donation".

Am having a girls night tonight in my back yard. Figured I should keep myself busy this week, and having my friends arounds adds to the excitement of it all (only one of them knows we are donor ED in Greece).

I read an interesting post from a woman on another site: "Being positive about your ivf is a great and useful thing, but one also needs to be realistic in that most women are not successful on the first try. It can take many attempts, and one should be emotionally prepared to keep trying." Awesome advice.

We are grappling with the BIG question right now:

Assuming we get good quality embryos, how many do we transfer? My common sense is leaning towards one, and my more desparate side of me is leaning towards two... 

#44 fieldofdreams

fieldofdreams
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 03:40 AM

Hi Zoe and welcome!  Glad to answer any questions we can for you :) 

So we've never known our blood groups before and now we do, O+, both of us, it's a silly little thing to be excited about, getting blood types, but hey, thought would share anyway!!  We should get our donor details in the next day or two, very excited! 

Ociwoman, can't believe you are heading out on Saturday, I'm so excited for you!!!  Now, regarding your BIG question, how many embryos to transfer, we have always done two with the IVF and will be doing two with donor as well.  I don't want to take any chances and want to have as much opportunity for it to work as possible.  We actually joke about having twins and mostly refer to doing things in the future 'with the twins'.  Now one would be the ideal, but to be honest, if we had twins I just think we would cope and instant family, as I would like two.  Having said that, it is very much an idividual choice.  And if you don't put two in, you should still have some to freeze meaning you will get to try again.  It can be difficult trying to work this one out, I just think that the fact we have had good quality embryos in the past and it didnt work with two, we will just keep trying with that amount.

In relation to the quote you put up regarding things not working the first time and being realistic about this, you are right.  I have found though that when I have a 'next' plan ready if it doesnt work, it tends to make it a bit easier.  Like after the last round of IVF, while I was upset when it didnt work, I think I recovered from it a bit quicker because I knew our next step would be donor.  so actually, it doesnt make the moment any easier, but it does give you something else to focus on which for me, helped me move on quicker.  So if our donor one doesnt work in September, I know I'll be devestated but if we have embryos to freeze I know I'll be able to focus on that.  Hope that all makes sense, basically in a nut shell, have a plan for a negative result. 

Ok, that's enough wisdom sharing for today LOL!  :)  Hope you had a good girlie night Ociwoman!

Chat soon,

F. xxx 

#45 RedSiren

RedSiren
  • Global 100+
  • 459 posts
  • Interests:Natural Health, Acupuncture, Mind-Body Connection
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:Isis RFC

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:54 AM

Ociwoman, best best of luck to you and your DH on your DE cycle in Greece. What an amazing cost savings too! FX for you both for a positive outcome, lots of great embabies and most of all, your dream to finally come true!

Cheers

Red

Lilypie Maternity tickers (In)Fertility Journey Details in About Me...

#46 ociwoman

ociwoman

Mamma mia

• Global 100+
  • 820 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:25 AM

Hello again Fieldofdreams. I am sooo excited to hear that you will receive your donor matches in the next few days. Woohoo! Please give us details when you get the news. We were matched with two potential donors. They were so closely matched to me, that it was difficult to choose! I hope you have the same dilemma. :) How are things going with your BCP? When is your Lupron shot? (FYI, since the Lupron shot, I have found that my blood pressure doesn't adjust as quickly, so there is quite a bit of dizziness when I change positions.)

I agree with you Field, that putting two embies back to put all the chances on your side (when you would be happy to have twins), is a really smart move. I am a big "planner" by nature (if you hadn't figured that out already!), and soooo wish that I could make a final decision/plan for the number of embryos that we will put back, but am (grudgingly) realizing that we need to just wait and see what scenario we will actually be working with before we can decide. I hate making last minute decisions, but this is probably just one of those times when you hope you can keep your head screwed on tight at that all-important moment.

I am encouraged by what I have read on this and other sites about using donor eggs. This is probably a generalization, but from what I can see, many women (with a similar profile to mine) have had success on their first or second try with donor eggs, and most will have had success by their third try. I am trying to keep that in mind, so that I don't make any rash decisions... And like that quote alluded to, it is so important to expect the unexpected. Keeping my fingers and toes crossed for some high quality embryos on this first cycle, and for your cycle as well, Field!

Hello to you Red. Thank you for your kind words of support. I have been following your journey and am soo excited for you as well. Based on everything you have written, I think you are going to get good news on Sunday from your second beta. Am  sending you lots of sticky wishes, and I hope you come back here and share your progress with us.

Well, this week is whizzing by at break-neck speed. Dinner with my girlfriends was so much fun last night that I ended up with a head-ache from laughing so much - you gotta' love it!

Will post again before we leave. Cheers!

#47 deactivated account

deactivated account
  • 39 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:46 AM

#48 RedSiren

RedSiren
  • Global 100+
  • 459 posts
  • Interests:Natural Health, Acupuncture, Mind-Body Connection
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:Isis RFC

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:56 AM

OCI, my clinic insisted that with donor eggs, they only put back one blast at a time.  The reason for that is the risk for multiples is higher and although twin pregnancies can be very healthy and successful, there is also a higher risk for complications and my clinic personally wants to minimize risks.

I know many European clinics practice the same eSet and insist on one blast transfer if donor is young and healthy, however if given the choice, I think I would probably have wanted two as well!

Whatever you decide will be the PERFECT choice.

Hugs,

Red

Lilypie Maternity tickers (In)Fertility Journey Details in About Me...

#49 fieldofdreams

fieldofdreams
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:12 AM

Hi Love to be, Ociwoman can tell you more about the details she was given.  Having not had my donor picked yet, I can advise what information I gave the clinic.  So on the form you fill in your hair colour, eye colour, skin type, height, weight, body build, hair texture, racial origin then they ask about any hobbies, what job you do and then a space to put in any specific requirements you want. 

I don't believe it would be as in depth as you put in your question, like actual facial feature sizes but they do get a number of photographs of you (and you're partner if applicable) so they try and match as closely as possible by looking at the pictures.  My specific requirements inlcuded that the height needed to be much the same as me, I'm not very tall!  I know some people ask for university degrees, it's more a personal thing on that level and obviously the more you ask for, the less chance of finding a donor. 

I'll be happy if they are the right height and have the same hair and eye colour as me.  there arent any other details that are shared and you don't get to see a picture of them - which I'm glad of as I wouldnt want to always have that picture in my mind when I looked at my child. 

I hope that answers your question a bit - remember, there are no silly questions, everything is valid and we're all learning as we go along - that's the great thing about having these forums! 

F. xx

• deactivated account likes this

#50 ociwoman

ociwoman

Mamma mia

• Global 100+
  • 820 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:21 AM

Hi there love-to-be,

These are good questions. :)

The clinic asks you to provide a few close up pictures of yourself, one of your partner, and pics of any children that you may have had together. Then they ask for your basic characteristics: height, weight, hair colour, eye colour, skin complexion, blood type, body type. They use that information to match you with potential donors. They usually match with two and sometimes three donors. 

Their philosophy is that they want as good a match as possible to ensure that any resulting child will fit well into your family. In our case, we asked that our donors also have the following characteristics: under age 30, have donated before and resulted in pregnancy, university educated. They matched us with two donors based on all of the above. 

You can also ask the clinic which of the donors they think looks most like you.

The way I see it, they are probably choosing the donor that I would have chosen if I had been able to see the photos myself. All that being said, there obviously is less "choice" because you are only dealing with the donors that that one clinic has available. If you could review thousands of donor profiles from several different agencies like you can in the US, you could choose the exact donor you like best, and then use whatever clinic they are connected with. So there definitely is a trade-off that you need to be comfortable with if you are going to do completely anonymous egg donation. Some people will go for it, some won't. And whatever you decide is best for you!

I hope this helps and best wishes in your journey.

• deactivated account likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ivf abroad, Greek clinics, egg donor ivf, Iakentro