- - - - -

About to start fertility treatments at McGill

fibroids McGill

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 NancyGee

NancyGee
  • 20 posts
  • Interests:Reading, movies, news, spinning.
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:McGill Reproductive Centre

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:39 PM

Hello everyone,

I'm new here, and boy am I glad to have found this forum! smile.png

My fertility journey has been a not-so-long, yet bumpy road! My DH and I are relatively young (him: 33, me: 30) and we're been married since 2008. A few months after our wedding, I had a horseback riding accident. After numerous x-rays and CT scans to check for broken bones, the ER staff found out I have fibroids in my uterus. I got a referral to see Dr. Tulandi at McGill, who said we should adopt a wait-and-see approach since neither my husband or I were ready to have children. I got follow-up ultrasounds every 6 to 9 months to track the progress of my fibroids. At the time, I was told that about 10-12 fibroids were visible.

Fast-forward a couple of years. My husband and I began TTC in 2011. After a few months of nothing happening, I went back to see Dr. Tulandi, who ordered some fertility tests. After everything came back clean (and a few more months of TTC), last summer Dr. Tulandi deduced that my problem was 'mechanical', and that most likely the fibroids were the culprit. Considering the high number of fibroids, he referred me to two surgeons for a laparatomy (open incision) myomectomy.

My husband and I picked Dr. Buckett, and what a godsend! I was lucky enough to get my surgery last October (after an OR opened up unexpectedly), during which Dr. B removed 27 fibroids ohmy.png ... quite a far cry from the 10-12 fibroids I thought I had! In spite of our young age, Dr. Buckett has recommended that we move on to fertilty treatments within a few months. He says that in my case, given the abnormally high number of fibroids found in my uterus, there's a high chance of them coming back.

So that's where I'm at now. I've been taking Clomid for the past two cycles, and I'm now on my third (and last) Clomid cycle before we see Dr. Buckett next month. At that point he will move on to fertility treatments (that's what he told us last time we saw him). I'm a little apprehensive about the whole process, and I'm not even sure if Dr. B will be recommending IUI or IVF at this point. I guess what I'm looking for is some guidance as to what I can expect in the coming months... As I'm a "veteran" of the Reproductive Centre, and that Dr. Buckett will be my OBGYN, I know I won't be starting off from square one. What are the next steps, what can I expect, etc. etc.?

Thanks!!

Me: 30         DH: 33

Married since 2008, TTC since 2011.

September 2008: Horseback riding accident, sent to the ER. CT scan reveals fibroids in uterus.

Investigative ultrasound is inconclusive, at least two massive fibroids, ovaries cannot be seen.

February 2009: Sent to consult with Dr. Tulandi at McGill Reproductive Centre. He suggests taking a wait-and-see approach, as DH and I are not ready to have a baby. Regular follow-up ultrasounds with Dr. Khalife reveal fibroids (at least two massive ones, with a smattering of smaller ones) are growing at a slow but steady pace. Ovaries still nowhere to be seen. Suggestion that I consult an endocrinologist due to rapid weight gain.

June 2009: Consult endocrinologist. Months of testing reveal hypothyroidism and early signs of PCOS. Start Synthroid and two-year course of Aldactone to bring PCOS under control.

Early 2011: Start TTC. Several BFNs.

Return to consult with Dr. Tulandi in early 2012, who sends us to do preliminary fertility testing. Both DH and I are fine. Ultrasound still showing large fibroids, ovaries are still in hiding.

June 2012: Consult with Dr. Tulandi, who strongly recommends fibroid removal via myomectomy (open incision) due to size of fibroids and uterus. Gives me referrals to two surgeons.

August 2012: Consult with Dr. Buckett, who agrees to take me on as patient. Date of surgery: unknown! Told not to expect a date before 2013.

September 2012: Consult with Dr. Krishnamurthy (juuust in case), who says I'm a perfect candidate for surgery but that he can't take me on before a year due to my young age. He sends me to the 9th floor for ultrasound, which reveals at least 15 fibroids.

Early October 2012: Surprise! Call from Dr. Buckett's assistant! Surgery in 3 weeks! Ack!

October 26, 2012: D-Day. Total of 27 fibroids removed! Dr. Buckett says later on that they left 3 fibroids behind, as they were too close to major arteries and I was already bleeding profusely. Due to my unusually large number of fibroids and likelihood of recurrence, Dr. Buckett recommends that I get pregnant ASAP. Gives us 6 or so months of TTC naturally. 

TTC since January 2013.

June 2013: BFP, chemical pregnancy.

July 2013: Cyst on right ovary. Given green light to start IUI, just waiting for AF.

#2 Myrtle

Myrtle
  • Cyclebase
  • 435 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:McGill

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:59 PM

Hi Nancy & Welcome!

I think Dr. Buckett will probably be your doctor at McGill from now on unless you switch.  My guess is first they will have you do IUI, and if that fails to move on to IVF.   I imagine they will also want to see if any fibroids grew back and at what rate they might come back.

I wish you luck with your journey.  

• Lisa1981 and Bears_1977 like this

See my profile for more details.  

Me: 42 DH: 37

DS #1 conceived naturally, born Dec. 1st, 2008

January 2010, Begin TTC #2
September 2011 start charting
April 2011 Consult with RE.
All tests normal. No problems found.
Two IUIs. BFN.
February 2012 IVF #1 -BFN.
FET July 2012- BFN.
IVF#2  Fall 2012
Hysteroscopy Tues. 8/21
PGD 2 out of 11 embryos are normal and put back in. Beta November 7th. BFN.

Further testing - the RPL test- results in suspected immune issues.  Recommended protocol to take baby aspirin 

and possibly steroid.

Start taking baby aspirin.

April 4th 2013. Surprise BFP, chemical pregnancy.

IVF #3 - May 2013

April 8th start BCP.  Keep taking baby aspirin.  

April 19th - start 5mg/day of dexamethasone (steroid) 

Starting weekly acupuncture April 19th.  

May 1st- blood test come back positive for hyperthyroidism.  STOP EVERYTHING.

Referral to endocrinologist.  Appointment on June 20th, 2013.  

Have a prescription for vitamin d and for propylthiouracil.  started June 26th.

Blood tests at the end of July and end of August to see if all is well.  

Doctor hinted I might be cleared to go back to IVF as soon as September.  

October 8th, thyroid is now fine.  Cleared to start IVF.

IVF #3.5 October 2013

Oct. 18th - start BCP, dexamethasone and baby aspirin.

Nov. 1st - start .5ml buserelin each night.

Nov. 4th - last BCP

Nov. 14th - 1st u/s.  

Nov. 27h - ER.  11 Eggs Retrieved.  

Nov. 28th- Embryo update:  12 eggs retrieved.  10 mature.  8 fertilized.  

Dec. 2nd 2 embryos transferred 5-d-t.  Also mild OHSS diagnosis.

Dec. 13th - Beta blood test.  BFN.

Done with IVFs.  

#3 Lisa1981

Lisa1981
  • Cyclebase
  • 1698 posts
  • Interests:Getting my sanity back
  • Dx:Endometriosis
  • My Clinic:N/A at the moment

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:03 PM

Hi Nancy,

I agree with Myrtle. I also think that at first, they will try a few IUIs, if those don't work, then they will probably suggest you move on to IVF. Good luck :)

Lisa

Me: 33 - DH: 36

July 2012: referred to Ottawa fertility center
August 2012: Test results are back
High FSH, Low AFC (only 6)
Endo (duuuh) & DOR  (great....)

And may has well make it a trio...male factor (motility)

After 2 failed IUIs, 5 Failed IVF:

Trying on our own until spring come's along... 

Feb 09: A little Miracle, a natural BFP. Praying it sticks around for 9 months.

Feb 11: Beta 25 (yikes)- P4: 47 oh boy, put on progesterone

Feb 13: Beta 86 - P4: 144

Feb 18: Beta 544 - P4: 96

Feb 20: Beta 1128 - P4: 81... increased progesterone to 600mg

Feb 24: Beta 1608 - P4: 100... oh boy, not looking promissing

Feb 25: Beta: 1942 (no P4) at another hospital.. ok, looking better... U/S: sac and yolk. Nothing else.

March 04: HB 115. Problem: Sac is small... repeat u/s next week

March 14: U/S , HB (abdominal) 167bpm (internal) 158bpm. Problem: Sac still small, reapeat u/s in 10 days..

March 24: U/S confirmed no HB.. stop progesterone. M/C that same evening

#4 Amandad1998

Amandad1998
  • Just Hatched
  • 5 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor

Posted 16 August 2014 - 03:42 PM

Hi Nancy,

being new to the process myself but having cruised a lot of forums and done my research I agree with the girls. IUI then if that doesn't come through IVF. Good luck

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fibroids, McGill