• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 aunit

aunit
  • 4 posts
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:Mount Sinai

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:33 PM

Brand new to the forum and anticipating first IVF cycle in July. After several years of TTC naturally doing everything in my power with an unexplained diagnosis, now have an unofficial diagnosis of DOR. Dr described it - I labelled it. AMH around 0.2 and FSH of 14.
Probably getting way ahead of myself but thinking at 35, do we want to do a few rounds of simulation before transfer in order to have some eggs or embryos for freezing??? Is it weird that I am thinking about baby #2 before even achieving #1??? Just worried about repeating all this stress again in a few years with even lower egg quality then?
How do you approach this with the Dr? Anyone have any advice?
Apologies of some of the terms above are incorrect. Again, new to the forum...

#2 silverdollar

silverdollar
  • Cyclebase
  • 3483 posts
  • Interests:Outdoor sports and activities of all types.
    Kids, sewing, photography, cooking, growing stuff in my garden.
  • My Clinic:Victoria Fertility Centre

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:45 PM

It's not off the table, but not commonly done. Keep in mind embryos freeze better than eggs. make sure your lab is using the newer freezing technique as well.
It took us several attempts just to get to egg retrieval with 2 eggs, so that was a big accomplishment never mind having any to freeze. We decided not to pursue further treatment and assumed we'd have a family of 3, but then conceived spontaneously. DOR doesn't necessarily mean you can't have a second one, even a year or two down the line.
  • gibasgirl and aunit like this

Unexplained IF/ DOR. Began TTC in 2008.
After a wild and crazy ride on the treatment train, our baby GIRL arrived on Jan 6, 2012
Hold on.... Surprise spontaneous just 7 months postpartum while still breastfeeding!!! Baby boy born May 2, 2013
My heart couldn't be more full :)

Full details are now in my profile "About Me" page

#3 Raspberry

Raspberry
  • 1000+
  • 1767 posts
  • Dx:Endometriosis
  • My Clinic:UBC / VFC

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:26 PM

Just my 2 cents...i never had a chance to try IUI or super ovulation before moving to IVF. I have/had stage 4 endo and my RE said IUI's and Super Ovulation cycles would be just waste of time and money. So we tried IVF a couple of times ( like 6) and i'm regreting not trying at least 1 super ovulation cycle just to see how i would responde to the drugs. I was always on high dose of drugs like 300-450 FSH and my ovaries never responded to it...just gave us 2-3 bad eggs...than my last try we did a mini IVF cycle with 50 mg Clomid and i had 4-5 follicles on the low dose. My egg quality wasn't better..but i was 2 yeard older as well. I would try 1-2 super ovulation cycle and if you have 4-5 good size of follicles you can always convert to IVF. if not at least you know you need higher dose of drugs..( FSH).

Good Good Luck!!

• aunit likes this
Me: 37
DH: 42
DX: Endo + DORUBC swithed to VFC in April2010
IVF#1 - June 2011 Natural start - Antagonist - BFN
IVF#2 - Nov 2011 Flare protocol from hell - Nothing to transfer...
IVF#3 - 2012...Mini IVF..??? Waiting for a miracle...
IVF#3 - Start EPP March 14th. ( 4mg Estrace a day) - Baseline u/s on March 28 2012 - AFC=1!! WOW!! The worst AFC ever. Cycle cancelled
IVF#4 - Mini IVF! 2 eggs - No mircale for us...time to move on..Moving to DE!

Our prayers been answered...An angel found us...she is offering the biggest gift and we are saying yes yes yes!
We are so happy and thankful.

DE IVF- Jan/Feb 2013...I have a good feeling about 2013!

2013 Feb 05- Our lovely donor first u/s! 75 follicles! Amazing

2013 Feb 15- First u/s at VFC...follicles looking good...my lining is 10mm! So happy! Intralipids, Medrol.

2013Feb 21- ER..got 40 eggs! Over the moon...the wait begins and FX for good news!
2013 Feb 26 - Transferred 1 day 5 already hatching embryo...17 made it to freeze..Amazing!!
2013 March 8 - BETA day!!!
2013 March 8 - 1st BETA= 656! 10dp5dt We are pregnant! ❤
2013 March 11 - 2nd BETA= 2622! 13dp5dt Very happy!
2013 March 22 - Spotting - First u/s...! - 6 wks 1 day one beautiful bean with a HB. We are in LOVE!
2013 April 4th - Red Spotting - U/S - 8 wks 1 day - Bean is growing like a weed.
2013 April 12 - U/S at VFC - 9 weeks 1 day - Bean is starting to look like a "baby"
2013 May 3- U/S at VFC - 12 weeks 1 day - FX!! Baby looks good! Graduated from VFC..
2013 May 6- 12 weeks 4 day - NT Scan very active baby! Everything looking good! ❤❤❤
2013 June 24 - 19 weeks 4 day - 20 weeks u/s...We are having a BOY!!!! So So Happy!!!
Bed rest from week 29 due to shortening cervix

Baby Noah was born on November 4th 8:26 am. 21 inches and 7"11. We are over the moon! He is the cutest baby! Our journey is complete! Remember never give up! There always be a next step! XoXo

#4 MB.

MB.
  • Global 100+
  • 764 posts
  • Dx:Other

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:47 PM

I think it is something that you could remain open to and that you should discuss with your RE. 

As you get closer to ER you will have a better idea how many eggs will be retrieved.  Some people end up with a lot and some people end up with a few.  If you end up with a lot of eggs, wait to see how many fertilize and then decide with your RE whether to freeze those or whether you feel you have enough remaining to support a second pregnancy (assuming you get pregnant with the fresh transfer).

If you don't get a lot of eggs on your first cycle, you could look to freeze those that fertilize and then immediately go to a second ivf cycle.  The RE may be able to improve on the number of eggs retrieved based on what he has learned from your initial cycle.

• gibasgirl and aunit like this

#5 My_time

My_time

The world says give up! Hope whispers one more time

• Cyclebase
  • 1817 posts
  • Dx:Other

Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:31 PM

Brand new to the forum and anticipating first IVF cycle in July. After several years of TTC naturally doing everything in my power with an unexplained diagnosis, now have an unofficial diagnosis of DOR. Dr described it - I labelled it. AMH around 0.2 and FSH of 14.
Probably getting way ahead of myself but thinking at 35, do we want to do a few rounds of simulation before transfer in order to have some eggs or embryos for freezing??? Is it weird that I am thinking about baby #2 before even achieving #1??? Just worried about repeating all this stress again in a few years with even lower egg quality then?

What was your antral follicle count (AFC) on day 3? I think AFC is a much better indicator of the egg reserve. I think knowing your AMH and FSH values are all great but you won't know how your body will respond before you try the protocols. Your body may surprise you, specially at your age.

If you truly have DOR, then your egg reserve won't be better in couple of years and if you want a second child for sure, then yes, one could do more cycles and freeze embryos. The problem is that with true DORs you may not get to the freezing point. But your first IVF will reveal if you are a real DOR or DOR only on paper. 

Good luck!

• gibasgirl, MB., nettibug and 1 other like this

Diagnosis: Repeated Pregnancy Loss + DOR + Advance maternal Age.

So far no luck with IVF attempts. Hope things take a turn soon.

#6 Munchkin88

Munchkin88
  • Global 100+
  • 297 posts
  • Interests:Yoga, cooking.
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Hannam Fertility

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:29 PM

Great comments here! I have also struggled with unexplained fertility and was shocked to here IVF was my option. You need to advocate for self. I agree with My time will come, you won't know until you try. If you have rapport and confidence with your dr proceed as suggested. If you have an ounce of uncertainty, get a second opinion before proceeding, besides you have time to do this as your apt isn't until July. My dr let me do IUI with Gonal first to see how I would react to the medicine. As far as your care package for IVF, you need to 'stand up' and let the dr know your family plan so u can work together to achieve that end goal.
  • gibasgirl, My_time and aunit like this

Mircle Baby Due Date is April 16, 2014

Me: 37 Overall Health: good, healthy on paper Eggs: good reserve Uterus: gorgeous Tubes: no blockage, all clear

Hubby: 37 (love of my life)Sperm: fantastic TTC 3 years.

2013 IVF #1 - Positive Beta th_abfp.gif  Thank you Dr. Hannam!!!

Estimated egg transfer: July 28: transferred 2, no snow babies to freeze, 6 arrested in development.

Egg retrival date: July 23: retrieved 13 but only 9 fertilized (6 IVF, 3 ICSC)

Trigger Shot: July 21

Protocol Antagonist July 13 - 21 Gonal f 200 once a day with Luveris 75, Lthyroxine 50mcg/day

Pre-stimulation assessment: July 12

Hysteroscopy: June 17

April 2013 IUI - Gonal F 75 injections th_abfn.gif 

Feb 2013 natural IUI th_abfn.gif

#7 sharlene

sharlene
  • Cyclebase
  • 1737 posts
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:USA

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:49 PM

I think I would take it one step at a time - many women don't have anything left to transfer, never mind freeze.  And embryos don't always thaw well - I would personally dwell on one successful pregnancy before I started thinking about two - though I do believe in planning ahead, I think that without having done any injectables yet, I'd hold off on the planning and go with the flow - and hope that your embryos appear healthy and strong and are transferable.  Good luck!

• gibasgirl, Red Wine and aunit like this

#8 aunit

aunit
  • 4 posts
  • My Clinic:Mount Sinai

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:58 PM

Thanks everyone. It's good to hear all the different perspectives. There's a lot we haven't considered mentioned above.
  • My_time likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: egg freezing, dor, first ivf