#1 Evanmom

Evanmom
  • Global 100+
  • 392 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:TCART

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:05 PM

Hi Everyone,

Just wondering if anyone is a current patient at TCART.  I may be doing another IVF cycle there this summer.

Me: 40
No DH (Doing this on my own)
DS - already 8 years old (conceived via IUI using a donor)

Trying for number 2
May 2009 - IUI #1 - BFN
June 2009 - IUI #2 - BFP, ended in chemical/early M/C
August 2009 IUI #3 - BFN
September 2009 - Sonohysterogram shows one tube probably blocked
September 2009 - IUI # 4 - lead follicle on blocked side - BFN
October 2009 - IUI #5 - BFN
December 2009 IVF #1 - 15 eggs, 7 fertilized, transferred two 8 cell embryos - BFN
February 2010 - FET #1 eSET - grew 5 - 3 day embryos to blast, transferred 1 blast - BFN, 1 blast frozen
April 2010 - Sonohyterogram - Both tubes open and clear!!!! Must have been a muscle spasm in Sept.
May 2010 - IUI #6 - BFN
July 2010 - IVF #2 - 16 eggs, 14 mature, 12 fertilized, transferred 2 blasts - BFP, ended in chemical/early M/C - 7 blasts frozen
September 2010 - Endometrial Biopsy - nothing out of the ordinary found
October 2010 - FET #2 - transferred two blasts, BFP,but only came back at 3.4,ended in chemical/early M/C
November 2010 - FET #3 - Transferred 3 blasts BFN againsad.png
February 2011 - FET #4 eSET CANCELLED Neither blast made the thaw....

February 2011-April 2013 - took a well needed break

April 2013 - Thinking of trying again for child #2

April 2013 - Sonohysterogram -very painful, surprised to find both tubes blocked!

June/July 2013 - IVF #3  (Third time's a charm???) - 8 eggs, 6 fertilized, 4 blasts frozen

August 2013 - 3 blastocysts tested using PGS, one tested chromosomally normal, one they could not read the DNA, and one tested as having a lethal trisomy condition (but the doctor says the tests may only be about 60% reliable so it could be wrong)

September 2013 - FET #5 Transferred the one "good" embryo! BFN

November 6 2013 -  FET #6  Transferred the two other blasts on the recommendation of my doctor (Beta Nov. 20) another BFN cry.gif 

December 2013 - WTF Appointment - My doctor says it's time to stop trying with my own eggs.

March 2014 - Considering using donor eggs.

April 2014 - I have picked an egg donor from My Egg Bank.

June 2014 - Extremely stressed out about my decision, developed shingles, Dad dying of brain cancer, cancelled order for donor eggs

August 2014 - Ready to try again, picked a new donor from My Egg Bank.

October 2014 - Waiting for updated blood work results so that My Egg Bank can go ahead with embryo creation.

November, 2014 - Eggs and sperm thawed. Only one embryo made it to blastocyst stage and was frozen.  3 more eggs thawed, but no embryos made it.

December 8, 2014 - FET #7 (Donor Egg/Donor Sperm)Transferred one little embryo  

BFP!!!!!!  Estimated due date: Aug. 27, 2015

#2 aprilbaby

aprilbaby
  • Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:56 PM

I used to be a patient of tcart.. I Know Dr. Casper and Dr. Bentof. THey are very kind doctors.

#3 Evanmom

Evanmom
  • Global 100+
  • 392 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 02:09 PM

Hi aprilbaby,

Thanks for responding.  I have seen both Dr. Casper and Bentov many times.  Yes they are both very kind.  I have had good experiences at TCART overall.  Hoping that my third time at IVF will be successful.

I'm sure you are enjoying your three boys!

Trying for number 2
May 2009 - IUI #1 - BFN
August 2009 IUI #3 - BFN
December 2009 IVF #1 - 15 eggs, 7 fertilized, transferred two 8 cell embryos - BFN
February 2010 - FET #1 eSET - grew 5 - 3 day embryos to blast, transferred 1 blast - BFN, 1 blast frozen
April 2010 - Sonohyterogram - Both tubes open and clear!!!! Must have been a muscle spasm in Sept.
May 2010 - IUI #6 - BFN
July 2010 - IVF #2 - 16 eggs, 14 mature, 12 fertilized, transferred 2 blasts - BFP, ended in chemical/early M/C - 7 blasts frozen
October 2010 - FET #2 - transferred two blasts, BFP,but only came back at 3.4,ended in chemical/early M/C

April 2013 - Sonohysterogram -very painful, surprised to find both tubes blocked!

June/July 2013 - IVF #3  (Third time's a charm???) - 8 eggs, 6 fertilized, 4 blasts frozen

August 2013 - 3 blastocysts tested using PGS, one tested chromosomally normal, one they could not read the DNA, and one tested as having a lethal trisomy condition (but the doctor says the tests may only be about 60% reliable so it could be wrong)

November 6 2013 -  FET #6  Transferred the two other blasts on the recommendation of my doctor (Beta Nov. 20) another BFN cry.gif 

December 2013 - WTF Appointment - My doctor says it's time to stop trying with my own eggs.

June 2014 - Extremely stressed out about my decision, developed shingles, Dad dying of brain cancer, cancelled order for donor eggs

October 2014 - Waiting for updated blood work results so that My Egg Bank can go ahead with embryo creation.

November, 2014 - Eggs and sperm thawed. Only one embryo made it to blastocyst stage and was frozen.  3 more eggs thawed, but no embryos made it.

#4 Sonia2013

Sonia2013
  • 10 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:49 PM

I am a patient at TCART.  We are trying for our 2nd baby this summer. We should keep in touch as support! :-)

#5 Evanmom

Evanmom
  • Global 100+
  • 392 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 03:28 PM

Hi Sonia,

Nice to find someone else who is currently at TCART.  I may be doing IVF in July as well.  

Trying for number 2
May 2009 - IUI #1 - BFN
August 2009 IUI #3 - BFN
May 2010 - IUI #6 - BFN

#6 dragon76

dragon76
  • 25 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:20 PM

We are patients with TCART. We were in an IVF/ICSI cycle in April, which ended in a BFP but ultimately, and unfortunately, a miscarriage at 8 weeks, 3 days (I am currently going through the miscarrying process).

Our experience has been mixed. Generally it's been fine - the nurses have been great, the one ultrasound tech was amazing and our Dr has been nice. I would have to say that during my most previous visit this past week, I was incredibly disappointed with the lack of support once finding our that our LO's heartbeat had stopped. There was no counsellor on site - and I am pretty sure that I am not the only woman that has had this happen there - and I was just left on my own.  We had had our first u/s appt the week before where my DH was with me and we had seen the heart beating. Everything was fine, but Dr Chang wanted me to come down to TO again for another u/s the next week because LOs heart rate was on the lower end of normal for 7 weeks. This was another huge burden since we could have done this u/s in our hometown and saved another $900 for travel and accommodations.  To save an additional flight cost, my DH stayed home. And so I was completely alone when I found out.  I am quite angry about how this went down, but more importantly, completely devastated about losing our first LO. Thankfully, my OB here was way more supportive and has been a great help.

Now, I am not saying that the DRs didn't show that they were sorry/disappointed on our behalf, because their body language, etc did, as well as some "I am sorrys". But I was initially sent back out to the waiting room after getting dressed again and then was about to be sent back out while I waited for some paperwork to be copied. Dr Chang then changed his mind and allowed me to stay in the office for a few minutes while I called my husband and had to break the news to him.

During my cycle, we stayed at the Howard Johnson up the street and everyone was fantastic during those procedures. I do find that sometimes the clinic is loud and seems disorganized, which is inconsistent for the 'feel' that I think should be connected with this kind of clinic. Any time I had questions and left messages, they called back straight away and I felt that we were being taken care of very well. We have Francine as our nurse, but I have dealt with other nurses on shift as well.

I have 2 friends locally that have had experiences there - one was crazy positive and the other pretty much hated the clinic.  I guess it all just depends on the day, etc.

Again, my only really issue is that on Tuesday I was unsupported during that horrific time.  My OB also feels that we had too many unnecessary additional trips to TO. He has known Dr Casper for many years and is unfamiliar with Dr Chang. Dr Casper did my ER and was super nice. Dr Chang has been very supportive and helpful, but for the other day.

We aren't sure how long it will be before we can start our next cycle, but I did speak with Dr Chang on the phone on Thursday and he mentioned that there is compassionate funding if we qualify, so hopefully we can get that paperwork started this summer. Our final tally for the entire cycle - including travel, accommodations, food, meds and procedures - was $17 000. It was $15 000 before those last 2 ultrasound visits.

• gibasgirl and Nantol like this

ME: 37 DH 31
TTC since August 2010
No luck - not even close to a Double Line sad.png
All things okay with me (so far...)
Feb 2012 Dx with MFI
Finally heard from TCART: Consultation July 9/12
Sept 11/12 - Phone consultation with Mount Sinai Infertility Clinic - DR didn't call

Nov 9/12 - FINALLY have the phone consult with MSIC - more tests for DH

End of Feb/13 - FINALLY receieve results from MSIC testing - UMF (hmph)

Recommended for IVF/ICSI

March 11/13 - SHG shows that fallopian tubes and ovaries are GREATth_acheerlead.gif 
but uterus is mildly Y-shaped (not 2 horned, but a little dip in middle)

Get set for IVF/ICSI cycle!

March 30/13 - CD 1

April 2/13 - CD 4 started injections!

April 13/13 - CD 15 ER 8 little follies! 4 ICSId

April 14/13 - down to 3 embies (3 immature, 1 already dying, 1 of the ICSIs didn't take)

April 15/13 - 2 embies make the cut

April 16/13 - TRANSFER DAY!! Both embies make it safely to their new home...now we wait.

April 30/13 - Beta day

May 1/13 - Results are in! Beta count 254 th_abfp.gif Happy Day!!! First pregnancy for me/us!

May 2/13 - next beta ...
May 4/13 - finally got results, but they were good! 511! U/S booked for May 21!

May 21/13 - heart beat! but it's a little low so it's back to TO for another u/s next Tues.

May 28/13 - completely heartbroken and devastated. No heart beat detected. 8388.gif Our little one is now in heaven. sad.png

July 2013 - follow up at TCART - genetic testing and egg quality/quantity testing for me

Nov 2013 - phone follow up - test results show I'm all good genetically; egg quality and quantity for my age is low. Wonderful. Flare protocol for next cycle. DHEA recommended - still trying to decide if it's the right way to go. Next cycle 'up in the air' due to finances.

Dec 2013 - TTCN one week late...Jan 1/14 BFN, then AF. Lovely.

Hoping 2014 will be our year.

#7 SangrealMazimur

SangrealMazimur

The Pincushion

• Global 100+
  • 969 posts
  • Interests:sometimes knitter, gamer girl, love to read, movies of almost all kinds

Posted 01 June 2013 - 05:59 PM

I've been a patient for 5 years now.

I initially had issues with the reception and one of the nurses coming off a short and borderline rude...but I've since come to get to know them and I like my clinic. I have Dr. Bentov, though Dr. Chang has done my transfers.

Everyone has been super supportive and listened to my concerns and research I did and questioned. They were encouraging, but honest in their assessments.

The administration is a bit un-organized, but they have someone on staff trying to work it out and streamline it all which is good.

• gibasgirl and dragon76 like this

Me: 33 DH: 39
TTC: Since Valentine's day 2008
Fur Friends: Spirit , Shadow
DH and I have been together since I was 19

When we get pregnant it will be the first baby on
each side.

First IVF: Jan 2009
Protocol: Suprefact, Marvelon, Puregon, Menopur
ET: Jan 31, BETA test Feb 12 BFN
FET#1 BETA first was 53 second was 0 05/07/2010 BFN
FET#2 September 2010 -ET Sept 9 3-3day 4cell, 5cell hatched, 8cell. BETA#1 71.6 11DP3DT. m/c at 6weeks. Poor Chuck Norris and Jean Claude Van Dam...they put up a good fight.

IVF #2 April/May 2011 Suprefact, Pregon, Low Dose HCG. ER estimated for May 12/, transfered 1 beautiful blast and 1 nearly blast on May 17th. On .5 HCG every 3 days. None to freeze. Beta May 31 BFN. Sky and Walker continue to resist the Dark Side

IVF#3
April/May 2013 Superfact .2, Puregon 200 upped to 250, Menupur 75, HCG trigger, progesterone support, intra-lipids. 26 retrieved, 17 mature, 15 blasts (1)3AA- (14)4AD-4AA, 2 transferred on our 7th wedding anniversary. Beta: June 10th, 5 days before my birthday.

BFP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! at 1,111 second beta over 2,300. First u/s shows one bean just  day behind. Heart was fluttering away. Also showed a 2cm SCH. Not concerned, but told to take it easy. Continue with intra-lipids until week 22.banana.gif second u/s shows SCH is smaller. H/b at 142bpm. Third u/s shows tracking right on time, SCH gone and h/b at 166 bpm

Bruce Anthony Scott was born January 23, 2014 at 8:45am weighting 8 pound, 9 ounces and 21 inches long. Our hearts are bursting with love. babyboy.gif 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

#8 Evanmom

Evanmom
  • Global 100+
  • 392 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:45 PM

Hi dragon76, I am so sorry to hear about your miscarriage and the lack of support your received from TCART.  I do find that they seem to forget sometimes how devastating this can be, perhaps because they (unfortunately) see it all too often.  They should have been more sensitive to what you were/are going through.  I hope you get some answers from Dr. Chang when you talk to him Thursday. 

SangrealMazimur, I remember chatting with you several years ago when I began trying for a second child.  I'm sorry that you are having such difficulty and that you are still trying after 5 years. I took a break from trying for a few years, but I am probably going for another IVF this summer.  My last sonohysterogram showed that I now have both tubes blocked.  I noticed that your DX is tubal, do you have bi-lateral blockage and if so did you get any OHIP coverage. I see that you have a beta coming up on June 10th.  My fingers are crossed for you that you get a BFP. 

Good luck to everyone on their journeys.

• gibasgirl and dragon76 like this

Trying for number 2
May 2009 - IUI #1 - BFN
August 2009 IUI #3 - BFN
May 2010 - IUI #6 - BFN

#9 SangrealMazimur

SangrealMazimur

The Pincushion

• Global 100+
  • 969 posts
  • Interests:sometimes knitter, gamer girl, love to read, movies of almost all kinds

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:50 AM

Hello. We took a year off as well and are just getting back to it.

I have both tubes blocked and yes I get OHIP coverage for 3 tries, but it's only a minor difference from paying full. I think I save $2,000 if that. The greater difference is, at TCART when I had my positive tests, they gave me back that IVF try. So I did 2, got a positive on 1 and still had 2 OHIP covered left. It's a great benefit for someone in our situation.

Me: 33 DH: 39
TTC: Since Valentine's day 2008
Fur Friends: Spirit , Shadow
DH and I have been together since I was 19

When we get pregnant it will be the first baby on
each side.

First IVF: Jan 2009
Protocol: Suprefact, Marvelon, Puregon, Menopur
ET: Jan 31, BETA test Feb 12 BFN
FET#1 BETA first was 53 second was 0 05/07/2010 BFN
FET#2 September 2010 -ET Sept 9 3-3day 4cell, 5cell hatched, 8cell. BETA#1 71.6 11DP3DT. m/c at 6weeks. Poor Chuck Norris and Jean Claude Van Dam...they put up a good fight.

IVF #2 April/May 2011 Suprefact, Pregon, Low Dose HCG. ER estimated for May 12/, transfered 1 beautiful blast and 1 nearly blast on May 17th. On .5 HCG every 3 days. None to freeze. Beta May 31 BFN. Sky and Walker continue to resist the Dark Side

IVF#3
April/May 2013 Superfact .2, Puregon 200 upped to 250, Menupur 75, HCG trigger, progesterone support, intra-lipids. 26 retrieved, 17 mature, 15 blasts (1)3AA- (14)4AD-4AA, 2 transferred on our 7th wedding anniversary. Beta: June 10th, 5 days before my birthday.

BFP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! at 1,111 second beta over 2,300. First u/s shows one bean just  day behind. Heart was fluttering away. Also showed a 2cm SCH. Not concerned, but told to take it easy. Continue with intra-lipids until week 22.banana.gif second u/s shows SCH is smaller. H/b at 142bpm. Third u/s shows tracking right on time, SCH gone and h/b at 166 bpm

Bruce Anthony Scott was born January 23, 2014 at 8:45am weighting 8 pound, 9 ounces and 21 inches long. Our hearts are bursting with love. babyboy.gif 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

#10 Evanmom

Evanmom
  • Global 100+
  • 392 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:33 PM

SangrealMazimur, thanks for the info on the OHIP coverage....I guess something is better than nothing.  I had to pay the full cost for my first two IVFs so it will be nice to get a little discount this time.

Trying for number 2
May 2009 - IUI #1 - BFN
August 2009 IUI #3 - BFN
May 2010 - IUI #6 - BFN