6 replies to this topic

#1 penad5

penad5
  • Just Hatched
  • 2 posts
  • Dx:Tubal

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:17 AM

Hello,

I had bilaterally blocked fallopian tubes, however one tube became unblocked during an HSG procedure... it was also discovered during a Lap that my tubes are very badly damaged and most likely will not work. 

I had one doctor tell me I would still be covered by OHIP - since the tubes were blocked, but the IVF doc isn't sure.  She is looking into it but I was wondering if anyone here knows the answer. 

Will OHIP still cover IVF if your tubes become unblocked?

Thank you

#2 hazypeanut

hazypeanut
  • Global 100+
  • 575 posts
  • Dx:Endometriosis
  • My Clinic:Ottawa

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:21 AM

i wouldnt think so, considering the wording they require says "bilateral tubal blockage" we r in the process of trying to get ours covered too, i had one blocked in 2008, and in 2010 my c section dr wrote in my chart that my tubes were so full of scar tissue etc that he was surprised i even got pregnant (he didnt know i had IVF?) so then my OB said that the only way to get pregnant was through IVF, so now we have to go through testing again just to get the wording correct! UGHHHHHH

1997 July.. DD born, from a previous relationship. Born on her due date.

2006 Oct, Married my best friend.
2007 Oct, Journey to conception starts( although in the 8 yrs we have been together we have never used BC)
2007 July 14th Hubby leaves for Afghanistan for 2 months.
2007 Oct, hubby leaves again for Afghanistan
2008 Jan 1st, Hubby returns
2008 Jan, blocked tube on left and removal of baseball sized cyst on rt ovary
2008 April started on clomid for 6 months
Referred to Dr. Ried in Kingston, more tests show no tube blockage. But does show stage 4 endo.
IUI # 1 BFN
IUI # 2 BFN
3rd cycle cancelled due to not responding to meds very well.
Referred to Dr. Min at the OFC

IVF #1

June 1st consent signing
Baseline ultrasound revealed 16 follicles, and FSH of 7! previous day 3 had shown 9 and high estrogen levels.
June 29th 2010 Education session, done...hurry up day one!
Aug 10th Called in Day #1
Aug 15th-sept 4th Start BCP
Aug 25th started suprefact
Sept 10 bw
Sept 11 Started puregon 350 u
Sept 15th first us.
Sept 18th second us and bw.. a bunch of small follicles.. and 4 measurable ones cycle maybe cancelled.
Sept 19th 3rd ultrasound ... 18 follicles and 8! good sized follicles. Cycle is back on..and 2 surprise follicles on the right!!!
Sept 20th us and bw.
Sept 21 bw and us DAY 11
Sept 22 bw and us.. ready for trigger tonight! 8 good follies, one at 20 the rest following suit.
Sept 24 ER..7 follicles harvested, 6 eggs retrieved.
Sept 25 call from lab, 4 eggs Mature, 3 eggs fertilized. Can't believe we have made it this far!
We are in love with our embryos!! GROW EMBIES GROW!!!!!!
Sept 27 Transfered 2 sweet little embryos.. one 7 cell the other an 8, on day 3. Sadly none to freeze
Oct 12 is BETA day!! im PUPO until then! Still waiting on blood results..
Couldnt take it any more and POAS..
BETA #1 700.
Ultrasound Oct 27th.
BFP!!!!!!!! OMG! ))
Nov 26th First OB appt. Couldnt find heartbeat, still early? 86.5 kg.
Dec 2nd bought doppler heard heartbeat and fell in love again.
Dec 16th ultrasound.
Dec 22nd 2nd OB appt. Heard heartbeat, such music :)88.5 kg.
Jan 21st 3rd OB appt. 89.2 kg
Feb 9th anatomy scan and sex of baby!!!
ITS A GIRL!!! YAY!
Feb 23 OB appt.. 91.1 kg Placenta completely covering cervix.
Mar 25 OB appt.. 94.3 kg
Apr 06 OB appt..
Apr 12 U/S to check placenta and cervix.
May 3rd OB talked about having C section no later than 37 weeks if placenta in same position.. oh my! thats 3 weeks!
May 6th U/S to check placenta..tech says its the same as they have been telling the doc all along..i assume its still covering.. will find out wed at OB appt.
Scheduled C section May 24th, 2011

Baby girl Madeleine was born weighing 4 lbs 11 oz.

IN THE PROCESS OF STARTING ANOTHER FRESH CYCLE....YAY!!

Second fresh IVF failed. :(

#3 penad5

penad5
  • Just Hatched
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:28 PM

I heard back from the doctor, and it will be covered.  I don't know 100% the ins and outs - but the Doc who had told me at first it would probably be covered basically said since unblocking the tubes rarely works... all OHIP cares about it that they were at one point fully blocked

• hazypeanut likes this

#4 MeAgain

MeAgain
  • 1000+
  • 1374 posts
  • My Clinic:#1Heartland...#2 OFC

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:37 PM

I heard back from the doctor, and it will be covered.  I don't know 100% the ins and outs - but the Doc who had told me at first it would probably be covered basically said since unblocking the tubes rarely works... all OHIP cares about it that they were at one point fully blocked

I agree. My tube were bilaterally blocked at the age of 19. I did do corrective surgery, ending in 6 ectopics.. OHIP finally covered my cycles this yr! I had one tube explode and the other was closed at the request of the doc.
  • gibasgirl and hazypeanut like this
Me: 39. DH 43 TTC:18 yrs DX: stage 4 endo @ 20 yrs old.FSH- 10-12DH - fine 7 corrective surgeries for endo & blocked tubes open 5 ectopics (natural) (cilia in tubes do not work) IVF #1 ... 2 Grade C 8cell - one healthy baby boy!! 2 frozen 4cell and 6cell- Grade BEctopic (natural)2004 - 8 weeks pg - tube exploded - internal bleeding - surgery - other tube closed Feb 2012 - FET - no transfer IVF# 2 (OFC) March 15 2013- 300iu, cetrotide, hcgONE mature follicle - no fertilization.

July 2013 - EPP - BFN
November - 2013 - EPP - One follicle, one egg, natural fertilization = BFP!!

#5 hazypeanut

hazypeanut
  • Global 100+
  • 575 posts
  • My Clinic:Ottawa

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:53 AM

wow thats great news!!!

1997 July.. DD born, from a previous relationship. Born on her due date.

2006 Oct, Married my best friend.
2007 Oct, Journey to conception starts( although in the 8 yrs we have been together we have never used BC)
2007 July 14th Hubby leaves for Afghanistan for 2 months.
2007 Oct, hubby leaves again for Afghanistan
2008 Jan 1st, Hubby returns
2008 Jan, blocked tube on left and removal of baseball sized cyst on rt ovary
2008 April started on clomid for 6 months
Referred to Dr. Ried in Kingston, more tests show no tube blockage. But does show stage 4 endo.
IUI # 1 BFN
IUI # 2 BFN
3rd cycle cancelled due to not responding to meds very well.
Referred to Dr. Min at the OFC

IVF #1

June 1st consent signing
Baseline ultrasound revealed 16 follicles, and FSH of 7! previous day 3 had shown 9 and high estrogen levels.
June 29th 2010 Education session, done...hurry up day one!
Aug 10th Called in Day #1
Aug 15th-sept 4th Start BCP
Aug 25th started suprefact
Sept 10 bw
Sept 11 Started puregon 350 u
Sept 15th first us.
Sept 18th second us and bw.. a bunch of small follicles.. and 4 measurable ones cycle maybe cancelled.
Sept 19th 3rd ultrasound ... 18 follicles and 8! good sized follicles. Cycle is back on..and 2 surprise follicles on the right!!!
Sept 20th us and bw.
Sept 21 bw and us DAY 11
Sept 22 bw and us.. ready for trigger tonight! 8 good follies, one at 20 the rest following suit.
Sept 24 ER..7 follicles harvested, 6 eggs retrieved.
Sept 25 call from lab, 4 eggs Mature, 3 eggs fertilized. Can't believe we have made it this far!
We are in love with our embryos!! GROW EMBIES GROW!!!!!!
Sept 27 Transfered 2 sweet little embryos.. one 7 cell the other an 8, on day 3. Sadly none to freeze
Oct 12 is BETA day!! im PUPO until then! Still waiting on blood results..
Couldnt take it any more and POAS..
BETA #1 700.
Ultrasound Oct 27th.
BFP!!!!!!!! OMG! ))
Nov 26th First OB appt. Couldnt find heartbeat, still early? 86.5 kg.
Dec 2nd bought doppler heard heartbeat and fell in love again.
Dec 16th ultrasound.
Dec 22nd 2nd OB appt. Heard heartbeat, such music :)88.5 kg.
Jan 21st 3rd OB appt. 89.2 kg
Feb 9th anatomy scan and sex of baby!!!
ITS A GIRL!!! YAY!
Feb 23 OB appt.. 91.1 kg Placenta completely covering cervix.
Mar 25 OB appt.. 94.3 kg
Apr 06 OB appt..
Apr 12 U/S to check placenta and cervix.
May 3rd OB talked about having C section no later than 37 weeks if placenta in same position.. oh my! thats 3 weeks!
May 6th U/S to check placenta..tech says its the same as they have been telling the doc all along..i assume its still covering.. will find out wed at OB appt.
Scheduled C section May 24th, 2011

Baby girl Madeleine was born weighing 4 lbs 11 oz.

IN THE PROCESS OF STARTING ANOTHER FRESH CYCLE....YAY!!

Second fresh IVF failed. :(

#6 tld30

tld30
  • 47 posts
  • My Clinic:Mount Sinai

Posted 06 June 2013 - 03:22 PM

Hi there!

I'm also new to all of this and wondering about blocked tubes. I had intestinal surgery in 2011 and ended up with scar tisses. My ultrasound showed everything was fluid filled and then I did and HSG and one tube was blocked at the end and the other side the dye flushed through but then collected in a pool instead of dispersing in the body normally.  Because of the adhesions I had a peritoneal inclusion cyst at first but basically the fluid that expells when I ovulate isn't absorbing in the right area and fills the tube I think.  The obgyn said he thinks it should be covered and not to try conceiving naturally because of high risk ectopic pregnacy with the adhesions in there near the ovary.  So I'm just trying to figure out if it'll be covered or not too. I still have to wait 2 months before my first consultation with the fertility dr and have been wondering about this for a long time with all the tests and knowing the surgery could cause issues. I'm glad to hear you got good news of coverage!

Me-30 tubal issues after sx, blocked right tube, left side has adhesions making high risk

DH-31 32 perfectly healthy

2 major surgeries in 2010/2011

2011-Find out I have a fluid filled cysts caused from scar tissue

Sept 2012 start TTC and booked appt to check cyst

Jan 2013-U/S showing fluid filled tubes, more cysts

April 2013-HSG test, blocked tubes from scar tissue

June 2013-DH tested for SA-all checks out fine!

Aug 2013-Consult -Few more tests then looking to book into IVF cycle

Aug 21- Day 3 u/s and bloodwork (Everything looks good! Showing 12 follicles on left ovary, right can't be seen because of adhesion cysts but enough to work with on left side alone before bcp and stimming) smile.png

Aug 23-Hysteroscopy...everything is fine and we can start cycling in September when AF arrives!

IVF cycle started- Started BCP Sept 17th CD3 taking bcp for 14 days then onto Puregon

Sept 30-Ultrasound/info with nurse

Oct 5th starting stims Day 7 u/s bw Oct 9-11 follies, back Oct 11 for u/s bw

Oct 15th retrieved 10 eggs, 9 fertilized, 4 made to blastocyst stage

Oct 20th transferred 1 4BB blastocyst..3 frozen

Oct 29th beta- BFN

#7 MeAgain

MeAgain
  • 1000+
  • 1374 posts
  • My Clinic:#1Heartland...#2 OFC

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:14 PM

Hi there!
I'm also new to all of this and wondering about blocked tubes. I had intestinal surgery in 2011 and ended up with scar tisses. My ultrasound showed everything was fluid filled and then I did and HSG and one tube was blocked at the end and the other side the dye flushed through but then collected in a pool instead of dispersing in the body normally.  Because of the adhesions I had a peritoneal inclusion cyst at first but basically the fluid that expells when I ovulate isn't absorbing in the right area and fills the tube I think.  The obgyn said he thinks it should be covered and not to try conceiving naturally because of high risk ectopic pregnacy with the adhesions in there near the ovary.  So I'm just trying to figure out if it'll be covered or not too. I still have to wait 2 months before my first consultation with the fertility dr and have been wondering about this for a long time with all the tests and knowing the surgery could cause issues. I'm glad to hear you got good news of coverage!

Tell your doc you would like him to apply to OHIP for you.
Me: 39. DH 43 TTC:18 yrs DX: stage 4 endo @ 20 yrs old.FSH- 10-12DH - fine 7 corrective surgeries for endo & blocked tubes open 5 ectopics (natural) (cilia in tubes do not work) IVF #1 ... 2 Grade C 8cell - one healthy baby boy!! 2 frozen 4cell and 6cell- Grade BEctopic (natural)2004 - 8 weeks pg - tube exploded - internal bleeding - surgery - other tube closed Feb 2012 - FET - no transfer IVF# 2 (OFC) March 15 2013- 300iu, cetrotide, hcgONE mature follicle - no fertilization.

July 2013 - EPP - BFN
November - 2013 - EPP - One follicle, one egg, natural fertilization = BFP!!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: IVF, blocked tubes, OHIP, unblocked Fallopian tubes