Removing Mercury Fillings

Mercury Fillings Infertility

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Arlene Preddie

Arlene Preddie
  • 100++
  • 188 posts
  • Interests:Services: Mediation, Immigration, Psychotherapy and Insurance assistance to the NY, NJ Bar and the Law Society of Upper Canada
    Arlene C. Preddie, Esq. formerly nervous wreck on iva.ca
    Weddings For The Barefoot And Pregnant
    58 Carmine Crescent St. Catharines, Ontario L2S 3M5 (905) 984-5230
    wftbp.wordpress.com
  • Dx:PCOS
  • My Clinic:Previously Mt. Sinai & Create

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:42 PM

Once againth_asoapbox.gif . I'm starting to develop a fear of heights.

I was born during the era when dentist used mercury fillings and I now have 4 mercury fillings. Mercury I understand is the most toxic of  metals. What is the sense of eating organic food if I mix it with a little poison before I swallow it.

Mad as a hornets nest. Dying to have them removed properly which I understand has to be followed by a detox, however, finances are an issue at the moment. That being said I'm certainly don't want to leave them in if I'm being poisoned. Is there a happy medium I can use in the interim like Chlorella or should I just bite the bullet and yank them out?

I'm almost afraid to ask but while I was researching mercury fillings I came across information that suggested we need to be careful with metal eating utensils. True? If so, what should we be using?

As I side note I did test positive for copper last year through Nutrition Response Testing .http://www.healthpoi...ealthPoint.html  I don't know if you have ever heard of if it but I guess that is a separate topic

Former User Name: Nervous Wreck

FSH: 8

AMH: 8

Acupuncture: weekly

Chiropractor: 3x per week. Dr. Sly Etobicoke http://americanpregn...iropractic.html

3 Fibroids (10 cm, 3cm, 2cm)

SUPPLEMENTS

Prenatal, NAC, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Cenitol, Folapro, Rhodiola & Ginseng (by Medi Herb for cortisol support), Serracel, Omega 3-6-9, King of Codyceps, Chaga (oriveda),  Thyro-Gold, Cerebrovital PQQ-10

Consult @ Mt. Sinai 1/31/2013

polyp removed 4/24/2013

HSG 5/2013 tubes open, but same 2cm fibroid and possibly scar tissue (endo?)

5/2013 consult with Create another hysteroscopy scheduled to see if fibroid removal is necessary/possible

5/2013 consult with Dr. Fiona (fertility naturopath)

5/29/2013 2nd hysteroscopy @ Create polyp found and removed. 2cm fibroid not seen (huh? how did that happen)

IUI#1: was hoping for May 2013 now going straight to IVF

6/12/2013 started Lupron injections

6/21/2013 (AF arrives on time for the 2nd time in 28 years)

6/22/2013 go in for cycle monitoring WTF

6/23/2013 stop Lupron and convert to IUI with Gonal F

7/3/2013 6 follicles (yawn I'm still skeptical)

7/5/2013 IUI#1

7/6/2013 IUI# 2 (double yawn)

#2 lexi

lexi
  • 1000+
  • 1091 posts
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:Edmonton Fertility Clinic

Posted 06 April 2013 - 10:02 PM

Did you watch the Dr.Oz show last week on this subject? They stated you shouldn't have them removed unless you have 8 or more as when they are removed they release more toxins and are the levels released are not safe so unless you have 8 or more it is not recommended.

• gibasgirl and Red Wine like this

Trying to conceive since 2007.

Me: 40 Husband: 39

IUI's completed - 14

IUI's cancelled after starting meds - 3

Miscarriages from IUI's - 5 8388.gif 8388.gif 8388.gif 8388.gif8388.gif

Surgeries to remove Polyps - 4

You are my angels, my darlings, my stars...and my love will find you, wherever you are.

#3 blueslippers

blueslippers
  • Global 100+
  • 409 posts
  • Dx:Endometriosis
  • My Clinic:PCRM (Burnaby), now back to Edmonton

Posted 06 April 2013 - 10:16 PM

The most mercury exposure is during the placement and removal of the fillings and should be done with proper isolation techniques (rubber dam, high volume suction).  Mercury fillings that are hardened and in your mouth are almost completely inert and are not "poisoning you with every bite".  Most mercury toxicity is actually from eating seafood that is being poisoned by industrial mercury waste (by product of many industrial processes).  

The alternatives to silver fillings are (if you choose to have yours removed)

composite resin: although these are the majority of what is now placed there are chemical and hormonal issues with these as well.  We haven't replaced silver fillings with white fillings because of health concerns but rather because of cosmetic issues, stress fractures adjacent to silver fillings and the ability to bond teeth together to impart more strength to them after restoring.  Composite resins do have chemicals in them as well (plastic resin, etc) so changing one for the other for no reason other than defective restoration or cosmetic choice is not well founded despite what any websites may tell you.

Porcelain or ceramic: these lab made restorations are beautiful and strong however often cost 4 times as much and are often not funded by dental insurance.  Although the porcelain or ceramic is the most chemically inert material that can be used in the mouth, they still have to be bonded with a chemical resin (hence still some chemicals).  This is what I would choose for myself based on longevity, chemical neutrality and strength.

Gold: stronger and longest lasting, however still need to be bonded/cemented with some sort of compound and very very expensive due to the high cost of gold.

I can understand your desire to remove as many toxins from your body while TTC but personally I wouldn't recommend removal of these 4 relatively inert fillings if they are in good condition unless you were planning on replacing them with the most biocompatible and least chemically active substance (porcelain inlays).  You say that finances are an issue.  If those fillings are in good working order and don't require replacement for structural reasons I would leave them alone and spend your money on fertility treatments.

Disclaimer:  I am a dentist but I am also a 6 year veteran of TTC and have tried it all and "been there done that."

This does not qualify as professional advice as I am not your dentist and have not examined your teeth to determine an adequate diagnosis and treatment plan, it is only general information relating to your question.

• mouse, Lisa1995, gibasgirl and 7 others like this
Me 38 DH 38 TTC x 9 years IUI with injectables x 4 BFN endometriosis surgery BFP March 2007 with IUI, m/c at 8w2d:( 2 more IUI, BFN IVF 1 and 2 BFN FET 1 BFN discovered I was a Type I diabetic (WTF?) started insulin failed adoption of Baby Boy May 2009 (mom changed her mind via Text Message) back to the clinic IUI #7 BFP, Baby boy E born at 37w via induction (placental abruption)July 18, 2010 8lbs4oz doing great! took a break to breastfeed until 2012 (only part of this that ever came easy for me) TTC #2 January 2013 IUI 1B, 2B, 3B BFN IVF #1B BFP but slow and low betas, m/c one twin 6w, lost the other one at 9w FET #1B Feb 19, 2014 transferred last two embies. BFP - praying this one works out because I think we are done with ART otherwise.

#4 Arlene Preddie

Arlene Preddie
  • 100++
  • 188 posts
  • Interests:Services: Mediation, Immigration, Psychotherapy and Insurance assistance to the NY, NJ Bar and the Law Society of Upper Canada
    wftbp.wordpress.com

Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:12 PM

Hi Ladies,

No, I don't have much time for tv these days. That is sort of a relief to hear on one hand on the other hand I think it may also depend on whether your having issues related to mercury toxicity and for that you need to do testing I think.  thanks for your quick response it is much appreciated.

Did you watch the Dr.Oz show last week on this subject? They stated you shouldn't have them removed unless you have 8 or more as when they are removed they release more toxins and are the levels released are not safe so unless you have 8 or more it is not recommended.

Chiropractor: 3x per week. Dr. Sly Etobicoke http://americanpregn...iropractic.html

SUPPLEMENTS

Prenatal, NAC, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Cenitol, Folapro, Rhodiola & Ginseng (by Medi Herb for cortisol support), Serracel, Omega 3-6-9, King of Codyceps, Chaga (oriveda),  Thyro-Gold, Cerebrovital PQQ-10

polyp removed 4/24/2013

5/2013 consult with Create another hysteroscopy scheduled to see if fibroid removal is necessary/possible

5/29/2013 2nd hysteroscopy @ Create polyp found and removed. 2cm fibroid not seen (huh? how did that happen)

7/5/2013 IUI#1

#5 Arlene Preddie

Arlene Preddie
  • 100++
  • 188 posts
    wftbp.wordpress.com

Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:22 PM

Hello and thank you so much for the informative response--particularly the disclaimer lol.  It just so happens that they had the Total Health Expo in Toronto this weekend and I was able to speak to a couple dentist who practice organic dentistry. I think you make very good points. What am I going to replace it with they are all chemicals although mercury is probably the most toxic.  In any event, as soon as I mentioned that I was trying to conceive the consensus was that I should leave the fillings in until I'm done breast feeding (and that is really jumping ahead). Even though I only have 4 I do think I will remove them when appropriate because one of them is partially eroded and I'm assuming the eroded particles went into my stomach. Your comments made me feel better though because I was just thinking when will it all end. 

I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend TTYL

The most mercury exposure is during the placement and removal of the fillings and should be done with proper isolation techniques (rubber dam, high volume suction).  Mercury fillings that are hardened and in your mouth are almost completely inert and are not "poisoning you with every bite".  Most mercury toxicity is actually from eating seafood that is being poisoned by industrial mercury waste (by product of many industrial processes).  

The alternatives to silver fillings are (if you choose to have yours removed)

composite resin: although these are the majority of what is now placed there are chemical and hormonal issues with these as well.  We haven't replaced silver fillings with white fillings because of health concerns but rather because of cosmetic issues, stress fractures adjacent to silver fillings and the ability to bond teeth together to impart more strength to them after restoring.  Composite resins do have chemicals in them as well (plastic resin, etc) so changing one for the other for no reason other than defective restoration or cosmetic choice is not well founded despite what any websites may tell you.

Porcelain or ceramic: these lab made restorations are beautiful and strong however often cost 4 times as much and are often not funded by dental insurance.  Although the porcelain or ceramic is the most chemically inert material that can be used in the mouth, they still have to be bonded with a chemical resin (hence still some chemicals).  This is what I would choose for myself based on longevity, chemical neutrality and strength.

Gold: stronger and longest lasting, however still need to be bonded/cemented with some sort of compound and very very expensive due to the high cost of gold.

I can understand your desire to remove as many toxins from your body while TTC but personally I wouldn't recommend removal of these 4 relatively inert fillings if they are in good condition unless you were planning on replacing them with the most biocompatible and least chemically active substance (porcelain inlays).  You say that finances are an issue.  If those fillings are in good working order and don't require replacement for structural reasons I would leave them alone and spend your money on fertility treatments.

Disclaimer:  I am a dentist but I am also a 6 year veteran of TTC and have tried it all and "been there done that."

This does not qualify as professional advice as I am not your dentist and have not examined your teeth to determine an adequate diagnosis and treatment plan, it is only general information relating to your question.

SUPPLEMENTS

polyp removed 4/24/2013

7/5/2013 IUI#1

#6 ---

---
  • 1000+
  • 1668 posts
  • Interests:recovering from pretentious nonsense
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:13 PM

Great post ! I was about to have all of mine changed for white and I am about to undergo a FET! It's the only thing my insurance DOES cover ! lol I will forego the idea for now ! Thanks for the post ladies.

Stacy

#7 Red Wine

Red Wine
  • Cyclebase
  • 2692 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:27 PM

Hello and thank you so much for the informative response--particularly the disclaimer lol.  It just so happens that they had the Total Health Expo in Toronto this weekend and I was able to speak to a couple dentist who practice organic dentistry. I think you make very good points. What am I going to replace it with they are all chemicals although mercury is probably the most toxic.  In any event, as soon as I mentioned that I was trying to conceive the consensus was that I should leave the fillings in until I'm done breast feeding (and that is really jumping ahead). Even though I only have 4 I do think I will remove them when appropriate because one of them is partially eroded and I'm assuming the eroded particles went into my stomach. Your comments made me feel better though because I was just thinking when will it all end. 

I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend TTYL

Perhaps, the filling that is getting eroded may need to be replaced but you should discuss it with your dentist.

I would recommend the ceramic fillings.  I've got a few of those and they seem very durable and between my two insurance plans they have been covered.

I also have a composite resin partial crown in my mouth and I'm not worried about the hormonal imbalances it may cause b/c I've had my infertility issues a lot longer than my partial crown.

Overall, I would not be jumping up and down to go to the dentist to get fillings replaced or other dental work.  Also, you have to weigh the factors of having composite resin, mercury fillings or other materials in your mouth against your quality of life.  My composite resin crown is the best alternative for me other than having a broken, painful tooth and that crown will last for probably 20 years.  Our teeth are a huge part of your life and quality of life b/c of all the food centered activities in our lives.  

See about me page.

#8 Arlene Preddie

Arlene Preddie
  • 100++
  • 188 posts
    wftbp.wordpress.com

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:31 AM

The other thing I was told is to be careful where the fillings are located because you don't want to take out your filling and end up requiring a root canal

Great post ! I was about to have all of mine changed for white and I am about to undergo a FET! It's the only thing my insurance DOES cover ! lol I will forego the idea for now ! Thanks for the post ladies.

Stacy

SUPPLEMENTS

polyp removed 4/24/2013

7/5/2013 IUI#1

#9 Arlene Preddie

Arlene Preddie
  • 100++
  • 188 posts
    wftbp.wordpress.com

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:49 AM

Red Wine,

I agree. The other problem with removing metal fillings when your trying to conceive is that removing the filling is only half of the solution you have to do a detox (chelation therapy) for at least 3 months to get the metal out of your system since its stored in your fat and I'm not sure you should be trying to get pregnant in the middle of a detox. That is kind of why I started this post.

This is an excellent article describing the procedure.

http://www.drwolch.c...am-removal.html

SUPPLEMENTS

polyp removed 4/24/2013

7/5/2013 IUI#1

#10 sharlene

sharlene
  • Cyclebase
  • 1737 posts
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:USA

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:22 PM

Blueslippers - I'm so glad you chimed in here - disclaimer and all!  My own research in the past led me to the conclusion that mercury fillings should not be tampered with unless there is a good reason - like it's coming apart and needs replacing for reasons other than the mercury itself.  It causes more harm than good tampering with them - and it's usually bad dentists who make such recommendations.

Thanks!

• gibasgirl likes this

#11 Cassandra_Angela

Cassandra_Angela
  • 1000+
  • 2084 posts
  • My Clinic:HART

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:41 PM

I didnt get my metal fillings removed because of any IF concerns but I did it simply for cosmetic reasons and because our insurance covered it. It made no difference in my ability to conceive, all it did was cause massive tooth sensitivity.

Please see "about me" section for details

Pictures tell a thousand words: https://www.instagra...dra_angela1981/

#12 Luckypenny

Luckypenny
  • Cyclebase
  • 1837 posts
  • My Clinic:Markham Fertility Centre

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:25 PM

When our dx officially became unexplained (lots of testing, hormone levels all in the right range, confirmed that I was ovulating with follicles that are the correct size, had hsg to resect a very tiny septum and a laproscopic surgery at the same time to check for endo - there was none) - my ND suggested testing for heavy metals in my system. I collected two urine samples - one unprovoked and one provoked (chelating agent). I have mercury fillings, but my mercury levels were not elevated. My lead levels were however. If you are genuinely concerned, I would do the testing for heavy metals through an ND who is able to before I would start tampering with the fillings.  I did a 10 week heavy metal detox (complete with iv's to replace lost nutrients pulled out through the chelation) through my ND. It was EXPENSIVE (I think around $1,500 and maybe $500 was covered by my health insurance).  I did a 30-day Isagenix cleanse at the same time (it was relatively inexpensive by comparison, $350 to $400 and replaced 2-3 meals a day for the 30-days of the cleanse). The heavy metal detox ended right before I was to start stims for ivf.  I checked and was told that it was fine to do the detox(es) right before starting stims.

• gibasgirl likes this
Me: 35 DH:35
Dx: Unexplained
Started ttc September 2006
November 2007 - Initial consult at LifeQuest
January 2008 - Diagnostic testing.
February 2008 - Test results - No problems with DH. Dr. suspected I had a PCOS variant and that I probably wasn't ovulating. Suggested superovulation (injectibles) with or without IUI
Decided to forgo treatment for the time being and focus on improving my health.
March 2008 - October 2009 - LOTS of alternative therapy. You name it, I tried it!
February 2009 - confirmed via cycle monitoring I was now ovulating and my ovaries both look fine. Officially unexplained IF. Hmmm, now what?
Next Steps: Had initial consult with Dr. Virro at Markham Fertility Centre on October 1, 2009. Hysteroscopy/laproscopy performed on February 5, 2010. Post op appointment on March 8, 2010. Found out one small spot of endo removed from uterus and a very tiny septum resected.
Started BCP on March 31, 2010.
First IVF (first anything!) cycle after.
Last BCP April 20th.
Started stims: April 25 (Puregon - varied from 100iu to 42.5iu, Menopur - 75iu, and orgalutron)
ER date - May 5th.
14 retrieved, 11 mature, 7 fertilized - 4 via IVF, 3 via ICSI
3 days past retrieval - 5 8-cell embryos (3 via IVF, 2 via ICSI), 2 lagging 6-cell embryos (1 via IVF, 1 via ICSI)
ET on May 10, 5day past retrieval - tranferred 1 "superb, could sell it on e-bay" embaby - grade 5AB0! 4 more "lovely" totsicles (2 5day, 2 6day). The ivf embies did better than the icsi embies.
Beta - May 21s: BFP! Beta was 507! Still early days, but we're happy to be pg!
Viability scan - June 11. Baby right on track, heartrate of 140bpm, measuring 7weeks 1day at just over 1cm long. HOWEVER, big cyst in my right ovary. Going back for another u/s in two weeks to monitor the cyst.
U/S to monitor cyst - June 24 - cyst shrank slightly. Baby still measuring on track, 9weeks 1day and just over 2cm long, heartrate of 167bpm
12week u/s - July 12 - cyst had shrank to 2cm. Baby looked like a baby! Moving around and flailing arms and legs. Just over 5.5cm long, heartrate of 160bpm. Nuchal scan and nasal bone both looked good. Doctor's appointment went well.
20 week ultrasound and doctors appointment - baby looks good - its a girl :) Test results from IPS test show a 1 in 20,000 risk of a chromosomal abnormality. Placenta is partially covering cervix, doctor will check again at 32 weeks.
26 week doctors appointment - GD test
30 week doctors appointment - got GD test results, I passed. Baby measuring on track, good strong heartbeat :)
32 week doctors appointment - u/s to check placenta position to see if it has been pulled up from my cervix and also to check baby's size

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

#13 Arlene Preddie

Arlene Preddie
  • 100++
  • 188 posts
    wftbp.wordpress.com

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:37 PM

Hi Luckypenny,

I actually bought a metal detection kit at the Natural Health show on Sunday so I will start with that but thanks for the info and advice.

SUPPLEMENTS

polyp removed 4/24/2013

7/5/2013 IUI#1

#14 Luckypenny

Luckypenny
  • Cyclebase
  • 1837 posts
  • My Clinic:Markham Fertility Centre

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:34 AM

nervous-wreck - what does the kit you bought entail?

Me: 35 DH:35
Dx: Unexplained
Started ttc September 2006
November 2007 - Initial consult at LifeQuest
January 2008 - Diagnostic testing.
February 2008 - Test results - No problems with DH. Dr. suspected I had a PCOS variant and that I probably wasn't ovulating. Suggested superovulation (injectibles) with or without IUI
Decided to forgo treatment for the time being and focus on improving my health.
March 2008 - October 2009 - LOTS of alternative therapy. You name it, I tried it!
February 2009 - confirmed via cycle monitoring I was now ovulating and my ovaries both look fine. Officially unexplained IF. Hmmm, now what?
Next Steps: Had initial consult with Dr. Virro at Markham Fertility Centre on October 1, 2009. Hysteroscopy/laproscopy performed on February 5, 2010. Post op appointment on March 8, 2010. Found out one small spot of endo removed from uterus and a very tiny septum resected.
Started BCP on March 31, 2010.
First IVF (first anything!) cycle after.
Last BCP April 20th.
Started stims: April 25 (Puregon - varied from 100iu to 42.5iu, Menopur - 75iu, and orgalutron)
ER date - May 5th.
14 retrieved, 11 mature, 7 fertilized - 4 via IVF, 3 via ICSI
3 days past retrieval - 5 8-cell embryos (3 via IVF, 2 via ICSI), 2 lagging 6-cell embryos (1 via IVF, 1 via ICSI)
ET on May 10, 5day past retrieval - tranferred 1 "superb, could sell it on e-bay" embaby - grade 5AB0! 4 more "lovely" totsicles (2 5day, 2 6day). The ivf embies did better than the icsi embies.
Beta - May 21s: BFP! Beta was 507! Still early days, but we're happy to be pg!
Viability scan - June 11. Baby right on track, heartrate of 140bpm, measuring 7weeks 1day at just over 1cm long. HOWEVER, big cyst in my right ovary. Going back for another u/s in two weeks to monitor the cyst.
U/S to monitor cyst - June 24 - cyst shrank slightly. Baby still measuring on track, 9weeks 1day and just over 2cm long, heartrate of 167bpm
12week u/s - July 12 - cyst had shrank to 2cm. Baby looked like a baby! Moving around and flailing arms and legs. Just over 5.5cm long, heartrate of 160bpm. Nuchal scan and nasal bone both looked good. Doctor's appointment went well.
20 week ultrasound and doctors appointment - baby looks good - its a girl :) Test results from IPS test show a 1 in 20,000 risk of a chromosomal abnormality. Placenta is partially covering cervix, doctor will check again at 32 weeks.
26 week doctors appointment - GD test
30 week doctors appointment - got GD test results, I passed. Baby measuring on track, good strong heartbeat :)
32 week doctors appointment - u/s to check placenta position to see if it has been pulled up from my cervix and also to check baby's size

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

#15 Arlene Preddie

Arlene Preddie
  • 100++
  • 188 posts
    wftbp.wordpress.com

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:04 PM

Its a urine test by osumex.com/www.heavymetalstest.com I can't vouch for it.  They have me on BCP for a polypectomy which is full of copper so I have to wait until I stop taking it. 

I guess its ok if your just curious but if you have real concerns I'd go to a naturopath.  I read an article on naturalnews.com yesterday http://www.naturalne...avy_metals.html that said cilantro was a good binding agent for metals so I'm going to kill myself with cilantro for 3 months.

I tested positive for copper toxicity a year ago and I never went back after the detox to see if I was clear so I will probably go to Dr. Fiona to make sure everything is ok.  I think you need a strand test or something

http://www.bloodtestscanada.com/

SUPPLEMENTS

polyp removed 4/24/2013

7/5/2013 IUI#1

#16 Arlene Preddie

Arlene Preddie
  • 100++
  • 188 posts
    wftbp.wordpress.com

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:54 AM

FYI: I tested positive for lead, copper, and possibly mercury, cadmium, and cobalt which I find...disturbing to say the least.

• DrFionaMcCulloch likes this

SUPPLEMENTS

polyp removed 4/24/2013

7/5/2013 IUI#1

#17 DrFionaMcCulloch

DrFionaMcCulloch
  • Physician
  • 842 posts
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:White Lotus Naturopathic

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:18 PM

Hi there,

Wow, I just can't give any more information on fillings than blueslippers has provided.  Fantastic answer and very informative!  

I also agree strongly with Luckypenny about testing before going near the fillings.  The unprovoked and provoked urine metal testing (I use Metametrix for this)  will give you an idea of exactly how much mercury and other toxic heavy metals are in your system. Often you won't see mercury on these in patients with mercury fillings.  Sometimes you do.  It really depends on the unique situation.  You want to have a window before trying to conceive again(time frame depends on the type of chelation you do). But again this also depends on the type and amount of metal that is present. 

I hope this helps!

• gibasgirl and Lisa1981 like this
Dr. Fiona McCulloch, BSc., ND : Naturopathic Doctor, Integrative Women's Health & Fertility
White Lotus Integrative Medicine
Greenfield Ave, Suite 201
North York, Ontario, M2N 3CBCanada
phone (416) 730-8218