Cramping and Spotting: Conflicting Information - General Infertility - IVF.ca Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Cramping and Spotting: Conflicting Information

cramping spotting estrace progesterone

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Nerium

Nerium
  • Cyclebase
  • 126 posts
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:OFC

Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:57 PM

Hi Ladies,

I hope this isn't an overshare, but I really need advice and googling just leaves me feeling overwhelmed and confused. There's so much conflicting information out there! I am 8dp5dt and have been taking estrace 2x a day and progesterone suppositories 3x a day. I have had some mild cramping since I started taking the progesterone on the day of ER. At ET, they found that my estrogen levels had dropped by half, so added estrace to my daily routine. Since last night, I've noticed a light pink tinge on the paper when I wipe. It shows up on the suppository applicator, as well. I'm not even sure if it's considered spotting because I'm not getting any drops of blood and don't need to wear a pad or pantiliner, it's just a hint of pink. I am also seeing a few dark pink flecks on the paper. I'm wondering if you can predict anything by the colour and appearance of the spotting? This is much different than how my AF starts, but maybe the meds are screwing with me. I'm getting scared and everyone keeps telling me to relax but it's nearly impossible!!

1st (and probably only) IVF/ICSI cycle Feb/Mar 2013 - Ectopic

#2 nervus optimist

nervus optimist
  • Super Moderator
  • 2677 posts
  • Dx:Genetic
  • My Clinic:newlife

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:01 PM

I wish there was something definitive to say but from what I understand it could be implantation spotting, or could be early AF spotting, or something else totally random and frustrating.  I'm really hoping it's option 1 in your case, but I don't think you'll be able to know for certain until beta day.  hang in there and do all that you can to enjoy the next few days (I personally find staying away from google is a good idea, but pretty much impossible for me to do!)

:flowers:

• Lisa1981 and Nerium like this

I am 38, DH - 39
Genetic - IVF&PGD to prevent Genetic Disorder
IVF #1 - Nov/08 - MC @ 6 weeks, no embryos frozen
IVF #2 - Aug/09 - bfn
IUI #1 - Feb/10 - ectopic
PRIDE - Apr/10
Homestudy - July/10
Given the gift of donor embryos - Jan/12
Donor FET Jun/12 - 9 weeks - no heartbeat... MC
Donor FET Oct/12 - we're PG biggrin.png

===> Beautiful baby boy born 2013 babyboy.gif

Donor FET Oct/16 - chemical

April 2017 - surprise PG

===> Beautiful baby girl born 2017 babygirl.gif

#3 Sasabee

Sasabee
  • Cyclebase
  • 951 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:McGill

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:16 PM

I had cramps and similar spotting to what you describe with both my BFP and BFN so unfortunately there is no clear answer. With my BFP the cramps just lasted longer (duration of days, not the actual timing of the cramps) to the point where I was sure that I was going to get AF. It turned out that the embryo was drilling into my uterus. FYI, those intense cramps were between my viability u/s and 12 wk scan.

• Lisa1981 and Nerium like this

Me: 35, DH: 47

Dx: Male factor

2007-09 IUI x 6 with DS @ OVO = BFNs

IVF 1.0 (January-March 2012)

BCP - January 1

U/S 1, 2, 3 - February 6-17 (Suprefact, Gonal-F, Luveris)

TESA - February 20

ER - February 21 (7 eggs, 5 matured, 4 fertilized)

ET - February 26 (10-cell Embryo, compact blastocyst) no frosties

March 8 - BFN

IVF 2.0

BCP - May 14 - June 4

Suprefact 50U - June 1 - 13

U/S 1 - June 14 - green light to start stimming (375 QD Menopur, 5U Suprefact)

U/S 2 - June 19 - 7-8 small follicles, dosage of Menopur increased to 525 QD, Suprefact stays the same

U/S 3 - June 22 - 4 follicles 13-14mm (left), 3-4 follicles ~6mm (right), staying on Menopur & Suprefact (same dosage as June 19)

U/S 4 - June 25 - 4 follicles left (14, 16, 16, 19), ~3 follicles right (10, 12, 14 - there may be another little guy) - staying on Menopur & Suprefact (same dosage as June 19)

HCG - June 26 @ 11:30 PM

ER - June 28 (8 eggs, 8 matured, 3 fertilized)

ET (3dt) - June 30 one 8-cell compact blast transferred (no frosties)

Beta 434 - July 14 = BFP!!! Also happens to be my oldest stepDD's birthday

Viability scan - Heartbeat viewed, graduated onto ob-gyn

NT scan - Sept 7 - u/s all looks good, blood test 1:1200 asked to do second set of blood tests

Oct 2 - Second set of blood tests...1:48000, all is great!

Oct 31 - 20 wk u/s - all good - team green

Jan 8 - officially passed GD test, hello ice cream we will remain friends

Katrina Josephine born March 26, 2013

#4 Nerium

Nerium
  • Cyclebase
  • 126 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:31 PM

Thanks, ladies. I must have control issues because I hate having very little control right now. I know that everything's been done to give us the best possible chance, but this waiting is almost harder than the injections! I'm afraid to move, afraid to go to the bathroom. I'm staying as calm as I can, but I'm analysing everything!
  • MB. and Sasabee like this

#5 MB.

MB.
  • Global 100+
  • 764 posts
  • Dx:Other

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:32 PM

IVF does seem to breed control issues.  You are right to check things out but just try to stay as positive as possible.  One other thing, you mentioned that you noticed the bleeding on your suppository applicator.   It may be that you are trying to insert too far in and are just irritating the cervix. 

Good luck to you on your beta!
  • Lisa1981 likes this

#6 Nerium

Nerium
  • Cyclebase
  • 126 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:07 PM

Thanks, MB. I was definitely pushing it too far in, thinking that it would absorb better. I read something about that in another thread, so today I was gentler and put it about an inch lower than I had been. I'm still seeing a bit of pink, but it hasn't gotten worse, so I'll at least have a restful sleep tonight!

#7 Nerium

Nerium
  • Cyclebase
  • 126 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:52 PM

Can't.  Stop.  Googling.

Okay, so I called the nurse for some advice and it wasn't very helpful or reassuring.  She said that if it gets worse, they can move up my blood test.  It hasn't gotten any worse, so I'm beginning to calm down a bit.

From what I've read, progesterone suppositories can cause cramping and bleeding.  Apparently the cervix is very tender and the applicator and/or tablet can cause irritation.  Some recommend not using the applicator at all and just pushing it up by only one finger joint.  Some say to run it under water first (not sure why, maybe to cause it to stick in place and not slide back out?).  I will give this all a try and hope for the best! 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cramping, spotting, estrace, progesterone