7 replies to this topic

#1 *Diana*

*Diana*
  • Global 100+
  • 285 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:ISIS

Posted 14 March 2013 - 01:52 PM

We are just starting this whole process and all these acroynms and terms are making me crazy when I am trying to read up on fertility treatment.

I am in the middle of my first investigative cycle at ISIS and have gone through all the tests now and are waiting for the results which we will get on March 28th.  So far I have had a pelvic ultrasound a saline sonogram and a tube test.  So far so good.....

I am just a little hesitant with all this information overload.

Also all of the negative comments about ISIS is adding to the confusion and stress....

Any helpful information would be great.

Me - 35 DH - 40

TTC - 1 year

March 2013 - First Investigative Cycle at ISIS

Pelvic Sono - OK

HSG - OK

DX -  Slight Male Factor 

April 2013 & May 2013

Natural Cycles with Clomid - th_abfn.gif

Move to IUI (Completed 5 in Total)

June 2013 - August 2013, October - November 2013

All th_abfn.gif

Took SEPTEMBER 2013 off - to see if DH's vitamins give him a kick start.....his numbers got worse.

January 2014 - We begin our IVF Journey.

IVF #1

CD 3 - All is well

JAN 23RD - CD 21 - Start 0.2ml of Superfact daily

JAN 31ST - CD 0 - No period yet..... and lining is still a little thick.  Waiting to see what b/w comes back with.

FEB 7TH - SECOND DAY 0  CD 1- Got the call to start 150iu of Gonal F - 14 Follicles

Feb 19th - CD 13th - Trigger Shot and ER on Feb 21st CD 15

ER - Retreived only 3 eggs

Next day - Lab called 2 eggs are immature and one hasn't divided yet.  Wait another 24hrs.

Next day - Lab called - Last egg did not divide

Cycle a BUST - Nothing to transfer

Meet with Dr this week to see what's next and to find out what happened.

IVF #2

March 2014

CD 2 - March 9th - Found 4 cysts - 2 on each side.  Largest one is 1.7.  Waiting for bloodwork and meeting with nurse to decide if we can even do the cycle.

April 17th - Start Gonal (225iu)

CD - 13 (April 29th) - ER - Retreived 9 eggs

CD - 14 (April 30th) - out of 9 eggs 8 were ICSI'd, and 6 have fertilized.

CD - 15 (May 1st) - all 6 embryo's divided normally.  Dr is recommending a Day 3 transfer of 2 embryo's

CD - 16 (May 2nd) - Tranferred 2 Day 3 embryo's

2ww

Beta scheduled for May 16th

Had to go to clinic 2 days early (May 14th) due to shortness of breath and severe bloating.... they did the beta early and holy hell a th_abfp.gif Beta 206!!!!

2nd Beta - May 16 -421

3rd Beta - May 19th - 1077

First U/S Friday May 23rd. - OMG IT'S TWINS!!!!!! Due Jan 2015!

4th U/S Friday July 4th for NT Scan - 11 weeks 3 days

Tuesday July 29th - First OB appt

Sept 9th - Growth Scan and gender reveal - We are having a babyboy.gif  and a babygirl.gif !!!!! 

#2 Nantol

Nantol
  • Cyclebase
  • 393 posts
  • Dx:Endometriosis
  • My Clinic:Markham Fertility Clinic

Posted 14 March 2013 - 02:44 PM

Hi Diane
Welcome to the community. You'll find some great support here and yes lots of information overload :)

If you head over to the homepage you'll find a link for acronym guide under Hot Topics. That should give you a general idea what all thede acronyms mean.

I have not been to ISIS so cannot comment but I wanted to wish you a warm welcome.

I do wish I had found this site when I was first referred to a clinic. My surgeon asked whether I wanted thwm to send a referral downtown or closer to home - I didn't think anything of it and said closer to home. The clinic I was referred to is one that barely has any posts under clinic chat and oftentimes never the greatest news on it either when it does have a post. What I have learned through this process (even at my current clinic which in my opinion os ten times better than my last one) is that the only person that has your best interest at heart is yourself so self -advocacy is very important in this process.

Good luck!
  • *Diana* likes this
See my About Me page for cycle history

"Everything will be all right in the end. So if it's not all right it is not yet the end" - Sonny (Best Exotic Marigold Hotel film)

#3 Butterfli

Butterfli
  • Super Moderator
  • 843 posts
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:Fertility East

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:36 PM

A warm welcome to the site!
The whole AArt process can be a little daunting at first but slowly everything falls into place. I felt the same way about the acrynims but you soon get used to them.

Good luck in your journey.
  • *Diana* likes this

Me 30 DW 34 - Two mummies to be! I'll carry my wife's egg so we can blend our family

First IVF Cycle

March 2012 Fresh - BFN

April 2012 FET- BFN

May 2012 FET- BFP - M/c6w6d icon_cry.gif

Second IVF Cycle

August 31 Fresh- th_abfp.gif

1st Beta 265 (TG) 11dp3dt

Sep 8 - 2nd Beta 8751 18dp3dt

Sep 15 - 3rd Beta - 43066 25dp3dt

babyboy.gif DS is born the 4th of May 2013 and we are so smitten!

stork-baby.gifProject Sibling stork-baby.gif

Me - 32 DW - 36 DS - 1

Second IVF Cycle

April 2014 FET - BFN 

Third IVF Cycle

July 2014 Fresh - th_abfp.gif

1st Beta 105 (TG) 9dp5dt

2nd Beta 1150 14dp5dt

Third Beta 12470 21dp5dt

babyboy.gif DS is born 7th of March 2015 and he is so precious.

stork-baby.gifProject Siblingstork-baby.gif 

Planning in 2016

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans

#4 lesley1978

lesley1978
  • Global 100+
  • 344 posts
  • Dx:PCOS

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:19 PM

I did not have any problems with ISIS, I did an ivf cycle there and plan on doing further treatments with them. The best thing you can do is educate yourself and be proactive. The whole process is overwhelming at times and does not get easier the further you get along. BUT at least you will have some answers after the tests you have had completed and the dr's and nurses will guide you in the right direction:) Positive thoughts are the only way to get through the process. All the best, any questions feel free to ask and i will answer them if I can. 

• *Diana* likes this

#5 BTR

BTR
  • Global 100+
  • 132 posts
  • Dx:PCOS
  • My Clinic:Mount Sinai

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:42 PM

Welcome Diana! I only wish I had found this group earlier. I joined just after I had my round of iVF. Check out the acronyms - they'll help you a lot! Also - ask questions! The women here are incredible and very supportive. Everyone is at different stages in their process and can offer up advice when you're just not sure what to do next.

Good luck in your journey!

• daileysk8te and *Diana* like this

Me = 30, DH = 31

Sept.'11 - Started TTC

Mar '12 - started seeing RE

Jun - Dec '12 - Chlomid = BFN

Dec '12 - tried a natural cylce - BFN th_angrywife.gif

Jan '12 - puregon 100 units with IUI, converted to IVF due to 9 follicles

Jan 17th '12 - ER, Jan 20th - ET (two embryos) 

Jan 28 - POAS --> BFP!!!!!!!!th_abfp.gif

Jan 30 - BETA #1 = 332banana.gif

Feb 1 - Beta #2 - 697

U/S - booked for February 26th!  preggo.gifth_acheerlead.gif

We're having TWINS!!!!!

h/b 164 and 166

3 month ultrasound went great! Twin A h/b is 162 and Twin B is 159. Loved seeing Twin B dance around during the 45 minute NT scan

Entering week 28 and feeling great! So in love with my babies!

6-8 week countdown until I'm officially a Mommy!!!!! Thank you IVF!

#6 nervus optimist

nervus optimist
  • Super Moderator
  • 2677 posts
  • Dx:Genetic
  • My Clinic:newlife

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:17 PM

information overload is definitely a great term to describe this whole process.  you end up knowing way more than you ever thought you would.  coming here is a great place to ask - and of course asking your clinic as well - they are there to help you.

in regards to negative posts about ISIS, I always try to remember that it's usually when people have a negative experience that they choose to write about it - not just with clinics, but restaurants, hotels etc, so you always need to take people's comments online with that in mind.  that being said - I'm sure there are some comments out there in the universe which are super legit - it's just really hard to figure out what's what.  I'm not a patient at ISIS and never have been so I can't comment from personal experience, but do know many who have been there both from online, and friends in 'the real world' and I've only heard positive feedback.  Bottom line is don't be afraid to shop around for clinics, and go with the one that feels best (or feels reasonably good and is close to home - you'll be going there a lot, so proximity is a huge factor)

best of luck as you embark through all of this.

:flowers:

I am 38, DH - 39
Genetic - IVF&PGD to prevent Genetic Disorder
IVF #1 - Nov/08 - MC @ 6 weeks, no embryos frozen
IVF #2 - Aug/09 - bfn
IUI #1 - Feb/10 - ectopic
PRIDE - Apr/10
Homestudy - July/10
Given the gift of donor embryos - Jan/12
Donor FET Jun/12 - 9 weeks - no heartbeat... MC
Donor FET Oct/12 - we're PG biggrin.png

===> Beautiful baby boy born 2013 babyboy.gif

Donor FET Oct/16 - chemical

April 2017 - surprise PG

===> Beautiful baby girl born 2017 babygirl.gif

#7 maritimeajs

maritimeajs
  • Cyclebase
  • 283 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:RFP Calgary

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:56 PM

Hi Diana,

I totally understand about all the acronyms and the information overload. I am just starting my first IVF cycle after completing all the tests and other components between Oct 2012 and now. I started reading stuff on here in January and became very overwhelmed and dis-heartened with all the acronyms, tests and results, protocol types, and the sheer number of couples that have their cycles cancelled for various reasons... so I took a break from all the reading. when I came back I searched the forums for posts/threads that I thought applied to me... ivf, over 35, Calgary clinic, starting cycles in March, etc... and started reading them. I still don't feel like I know enough to make suggestions or comments about most of the stuff i am reading but I have found people to be very supportive and knowledgeable. One of my first thread posts was about being scared of needle... I got so many helpful replies and suggestions. It WILL get easier. :)

Me: 41 42
Fiancé: 42
We have been together 12 years and haven't gotten pregnant.

1993- DD ( from a previous relationship)
1995- Pulmonary embolism (diagnosed with blood clotting disorder)
1998- Ectopic pregnancy- emergency surgery to remove the ruptured tube, remaining tube seriously scarred
2012:
Oct- First visit to the RFP clinic
Oct- HSG- remaining tube is open, uterine polyps found
Nov- SHG
2013- IVF #1:
Jan 10 -Surgery (hysteroscopy and D&C) to remove several uterine polyps
Feb 26- AF
Mar 2- Start Fragmin injections (for blood clotting disorder) and 21 days (ended up only being 12 days) of BCP (Marvelon)
Mar 20- (changed to Mar 14) Baseline ultrasound and blood tests
Mar 25- (changed to Mar 17) Start Suprefact injections (End April 3rd)
Mar 27- (changed to Mar 19) AF... Start Gonal F  450 IU injections (End April 2nd)
Apr 2, 5, 7- (changed to Mar 22, 25, 28, 30, Apr 1) Ultrasounds & blood tests
       Mar 22- Stim Day #4: Right side- 4 follicles; Left side- 5 follicles; Estrogen 554
       Mar 25- Stim Day #7: Right side- 6 follicles (three largest- 1.0, 0.9, 0.8cm); Left side- 6 follicles (three largest- 1.1, 1.0, 1.1cm); Estrogen 1883
       Mar 28- Stim Day #10: Right side- 9 follicles (three largest- 1.3, 1.0, 1.2cm); Left side- 7 follicles (three largest- 1.4, 1.4, 1.2cm) ;Estrogen 4874
       Mar 30- Stim Day #12: Right- 9 follicles (three largest- 1.4, 1.1, 1.3cm); Left- 6 follicles (three largest- 1.85, 1.55, 1.3cm); Estrogen 9377
       Apr 1- Stim Day #14: Right- 9 follicles (three largest- 1.65, 1.4, 1.7cm); Left- 6 follicles (three largest- 2.15, 1.95, 1.7cm); Estrogen ? 
Apr 7-10- (changed to Mar 30- Apr 1 Apr 2) HGC injection
Apr 10-12 (changed to Apr 1-3 Apr 4) ER--13 eggs retrieved (7 good, 4 okay, 2 not mature)
Apr 5- Embryologist report-- 9 eggs fertilized naturally
Apr 6- Embryologist report-- 4- 4 cell and 5- 2 cell embryos
Apr 13-15 (changed to Apr 4-6 Apr 7)  Day 3 ET- Transferred best 3- 8 cell embryos. Embryologist thinks 1-2 of the rest will survive to Day 6 to be frozen.
Apr 10- Embryologist report-- 1 survived...but not high enough quality to survive freezing icon_speech_sigh.gif 
Apr 22- Urine pregnancy test- BFN
Devastated... more than I thought I'd be. Not sure where we go from here...

IVF #2:

Jul 21 Start BCP and Fragmin

Aug 4 Start Suprefact

Aug 6 Start Gonal F 450 IU

Aug 12 Stim Day #7: Right side- 7 (three largest- 0.85, 0.9, 0.9cm);  follicles; Left side- 7 follicles (three largest- 0.65, 0.7, 0.75cm); Estrogen 2,844

Aug 15 Stim Day #10: Right side- 9 follicles (three largest- 1.3, 1.1, 1.1cm); Left side- 7 follicles (three largest- 1.1, 1.1, 0.9cm) ;Estrogen 8,080

Gonal F reduced to 300 IU (risk of OHSS)

Aug 17 Stim Day #12: Right side- 9 follicles (three largest- 1.8, 1.55, 1.5cm); Left side- 7 follicles (three largest- 1.2, 1.35, 1.6cm) ;Estrogen 15,891

Goanl F reduced to 0 IU

Aug 18 Stim Day #13 Right side- 9 follicles (three largest- 1.75, 2.0, 1.55cm); Left side- 7 follicles (three largest- 1.7, 1.5, 1.5cm) ;Estrogen 16,152

Aug 18 HCG injection and start Dostinex (for risk of OHSS)

Aug 20 ER- 15 eggs retrieved (10 good, 3 maybes, 2 not mature)

Aug 21 Embryologist report- 12 eggs fertilized naturally

Aug 22 Embryologist report- "slow", everything is only at 2 cell stage except one 4 cell embryo...not what they'd like to see sad.png

Aug 23 Day 3 ET- Transferred 3 "perfect" 8 cell embryos. Two of the remaining are only 4 cell and not expect to do much. The rest are 6, 7, and 8 cell and hopefully some will survive to freeze... will find out on Monday, Aug 26

Aug 27 Embryologist report- Froze 4 day 6 blasts (1 was starting to hatch) on Aug 26,  Froze 1 day 7 blast today smile.png

Sep 5 HPT-- BFN sad.png 

Sep 7 Urine Pregnancy test (probably won't get the results until Monday, Sept 9)-- BFN

Oct 11 WTF appointment

FET #1:

Dec 2 Transferred 2 Day 6 blasts (Still have 3 frozen)

Dec 15 Urine pregnancy test

#8 daileysk8te

daileysk8te
  • 28 posts
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:Edmonton

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:09 PM

I will agree that the acronyms blew me away as well. I also found the link on this website to be very helpful in understanding. I have to admit that even though I have just joined also the women on this site truly care and want to help each other. This is very comforting considering the large amount of information out there can be very overwhelming. Wishing you all the best and luck in your journey. :)
  • *Diana* likes this

January 2011 Start trying to have a baby! Ya
September 2011 th_abfp.gif - Pregnant with twins Ultrasound at 6 weeks
October 12, 2011 MC at 9 1/2 weeks; 8388.gif angel twins stopped growing at 7 1/2 weeks
Continue to try naturally.
May and June 2012 Dr. put me on 50 mg Clomid
th_abfn.gif 
July 2012 100 mg Clomid
th_abfn.gif 
August 2012 Take a break and Referral is made to RA Edmonton
November 2012 DH Sperm count 8 million mad.gif 
March 2013 Got call for Appointment May 6, 2013
May 6, 2013 1st appt. with Dr. Cumming
DH sperm count 17 million yahoo.gif 
July 2013 HSG - tubes are open
August 2013 VACATION - need to relax and forget about trying... laughs with friends and family, drinking, and good times!
September 9, 2013 - small septum at top of uterus Dr. suggests IUI start clomid day 3 that is today! Clomid side effects are hot flashes!!!!
September 14, 2013 start OPK - holy crap trying not to pee from 9:30 am - 1:30 pm (pretty rough but worth it in the end!)
September 18, 2013 + OPK off we travel 5 hours to Ed. Ultrasound and IUI tomorrow!
September 19, 2013 - US and IUI
DH sperm count 25 million! WOOT WOOOTyahoo.gif

TWW???? What to do with myself????eusa_wall.gif 
Sept. 26 Blood test for progesterone th_abfn.gif