Food choices & super foods in anticipation of ET/FET? - Yoga, Nutrition and Fitness for Fertility - IVF.ca Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Food choices & super foods in anticipation of ET/FET?

food diet

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 LillySmile123

LillySmile123
  • 72 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:27 PM

Hi - I've been reading/researching what foods I should eat to get an "optimal environment" within my uterus prior to an ET/FET.

Sure, there's the green leafy vegs, brightly colored vegs, avocados, beans, fish (ick!), low fat, whole grains, fruits, less meat (boo!), etc.

Some say the Mediterranean diet and the "health-conscious" diet are good to follow.

But I'd like to hear from those of you who had BFPs and what your food choices were or what you cut out...

I heard I should not take Vitamin C because it boosts the immune system so you wouldn't want to take that before/during ET/FET...

Any suggestions, comments, advice...??

Thanks!

#2 GraceM

GraceM
  • Cyclebase
  • 1438 posts
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:undetermined

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:43 PM

I went to see a naturopath and a chinese medicine dr. Both gave me recommendations based on thier review of my questionnaires and reviewing my tongue, pulse etc...  They said I was kidney and spleen deficient (no dampness or heat at the start).  To be honest, I am not sure exactly what that means but I did as I was told.

Some of the recommendations were odd but I followed them to the letter.  I ate a lot of salad with leafy greens, beets, veggies, a mix of proteins, lots of fish and shelfish, whole grains, very limited alcohol, cut down on coffee, limited dairy and had at least a teaspoon of mixed nuts/seeds daily.  I cut out pop and artificial sweetener.  I ate a higher amount of healthy fats (about 25%-30% of my diet) - olive oil, nuts and avacado mainly.  They told me to avoid cold foods, iced beverages, eggplant and cucumber.  I also had a lot of warm foods - soups and ginger tea.  Eventually I developed "heat" and cut down on ginger tea and eliminated cinnamon.

I did accupuncture twice a week, listened to a meditation CD nightly and took a lot of supplements including fish oil, vitamin B complex, vitamin D, pregnancy multi  vitamins, CoQ10, vitamin E (low dose), L'Arginine and a few others.  I ran everything by my dr. before I did it. I think she may have thought I had gone a little nuts.

I did get pregnant without treatment despite early stage DOR and poor sperm motility.  During the cycle I got pregnant, I could tell something was different (lots more egg white CM for example).  Now that I am pregnant, I am only taking the prenatal vitamin (I was taking fish oil and B but stopped when I had a bit of spotting), listening to the CD, avoiding cold food and doing accupuncture weekly. 

• LillySmile123 likes this

#3 GraceM

GraceM
  • Cyclebase
  • 1438 posts
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:undetermined

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:45 PM

I don't know how to edit posts so will post again.  I also started off every day with water and lemon. 

As a detox, they were going to put me on gluten free for a month with wheatgrass and vegetable juice (a mix of beet, spinach, ginger and some other stuff daily). I was less than a week into it before I got the positive HPT.  Then I got all new food rules!  I still do the water and lemon.

• gibasgirl likes this

#4 snowmom

snowmom

Raving Lunatic

• Cyclebase
  • 2067 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:VFC

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:29 AM

I ate lots of fresh pinapple, cut out caffeine, liquor. Lots of fruits and veggies.
Me 40: Total tubal blockage, 1 ovary, DOR DH 35: Poor motilityTTC since 1998DS natural conception 1996DS&DD ivf icsi 2008DS ivf icsi 2013.Our family is complete.Donated four frosties. IP's got bfp!

#5 LillySmile123

LillySmile123
  • 72 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:26 PM

Pineapple?? Really? I will look into that... I can't eat fish or any kind of seafood/ shellfish- allergies & I don't like the taste/texture. I've already cut out the alcohol, caffeine and artificial sweetness.

#6 NewSupport

NewSupport
  • Just Hatched
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Skiing, movies, vacations!
  • Dx:Immunological
  • My Clinic:Create

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:14 PM

If anyone is looking to improve their diet and get expert advice, I highly recommend Judith Fiore a fertility nutritionalist (check out her web site). 

After a MC in early Nov last year, I started doing research on miscarriages, diet, fertility tests, and decided to see an expert.  The main recommendations were to go 85% vegetarian, take supplements, go glutten free if I can, nuts/seeds, alternative protein sources, no alcohol, and NOTHING artificial.  

Also, apparently many many women have "thick blood" due to immunological issues and/or poor diet.  ASA helps with this and I was told it was completely safe to take low dose 81mg/day.  After my appointment with Judith, my blood was tested through my clinic and I do have blood issues and have now been put on Fragmin and ASA daily.

Fingers crossed for this FET, Mar 5th :)

Male factor vasectomy reversal Oct/2011

Jan 2012 early MC

3 cycles IUI, one with Clomid

Aug/2012 Laparoscopy, inconclusive

Oct/2012 IVF #1 - 7wks heartbeat diminished, ended at 8wks :(

Feb - extensive blood testing & found to have clotting issue

Mar 5th/2013 - IVF #2 FET - now on Fragmin, ASA daily, Progesterone inj

Fingers crossed, waiting........

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: food, diet