Advice Please with Miscarriage Eminent - Introductions - IVF.ca Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Advice Please with Miscarriage Eminent

ivf unexplained infertility low egg count miscarriage chemical pregnancy fertility acupuncture low hcg harvest pain

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Faith13

Faith13

Faith

• Just Hatched
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Becoming a Mummy! Crafts: knitting, crochet, sewing, scrapbooking, beading
    reading, shopping, playing cards,
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:16 AM

Hi,

Please offer some advice…

My husband and I have been on the baby making journey for over three years now. We have experienced many different tests and surgeries, etc. I am 31 and have been told after 2 tests (I wanted to be sure) that I have an extremely low egg count. I have had hsg procedure, laparascopy, etc. We were diagnosed with unexplained infertility two years ago.

We have tried every avenue to fall pregnant naturally, such as a nutrionist, fertility acupuncture, changing my diet, increasing my fitness, etc, but without any positive pregnancies.

At the end of December last year, 2012, we began IVF. I was given a higher dosage of medication (250) in the hope that they would harvest more eggs to create our family with. They harvested 12 eggs. Unfortunately only 5 fertilised, with 2 of those letting in 2 sperm. L We were left with 3 embryos.

Following the harvest I experienced terrible pain. The pain was extreme for five days and I told myself that it was too much to bare and I wouldn’t do IVF again. I think I will though, we really do want a baby. Did anyone else have thoughts like this?

On the day of transfer, Monday, there was only 1 viable embryo, but we were assured it was a very strong one which was making great progress.

While doing the ivf I have also been seeing a special fertility acupuncturist.

So… On Friday we found out that we were pregnant! We were so happy. We told our family and close friends the great news, as they had walked each step with us and were also waiting eagerly to know. I was told my level was 63 and that I needed to have another blood test on Monday to check how things were travelling.

Following the test I rang during my break at work on Tuesday to find out the results, not thinking it would be bad news at all…

Unfortunately they told me I was going to loose the pregnancy. I was 5 weeks pregnant. That my level had only gone up slightly to 72, although my estrogen and progesterone were rising. I felt absolutely devastated. I thought maybe they could give me some other hormone to keep it, but they said they couldn’t do anything.

A follow up test on Wednesday showed that my level was falling with it now being 28, my estrogen now dropping with it at 4100 and my progesterone now dropping at 112. Has anyone else experienced this and still had a successful pregnancy?

My Doctor has said that it is a chemical pregnancy and it will pass. It is now Friday and it has still not passed. How long is it meant to take before it will pass? How long was the process? Pain?

This waiting seems unbearable as I just want it to be over so we can move on.

Waiting for advice and caring people to share their stories. Thank you!

Faith :)

#2 heres2hoping

heres2hoping
  • Global 100+
  • 254 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:46 AM

My miscarriage was at 7 weeks, so maybe similar to yours. I didn't have pain with mine really, was more like bad cramps, but everyone is different. I am so sorry it didn't work this time. : ( hugs...
me 36 DH 38
TTC 6-7 years, bad endo, slight MF
lapro for severe Endo in 2003
4 failed IUI 3 w/clomid 2007
3 months of Lupron prior to IVF suggested by Dr. for the endo
Oct 22nd ER=9 retrieved, 4 fertilized, 2 made it to transfer
Beta November 10th, BFN. Very sad.
Bad bad endo is back, lapro April 24th, 2009
but!!! no need to IVF yet, now pg 3 weeks after the lap, naturally!
betas all 2 days apart. 1st beta= 26, 2nd beta=99, 3rd beta=280 4rth=915
M/C at 6W2D after hearing heartbeat
started IVF2,ER 9/9/09, 20retrieved,12mature,9fertilized, ET on 14th.
BFP 3dp5dt! 1st beta 12dp5dt= 893 2nd beta 14dp5dt or 19 dpo= 2568
3rd beta at 21dpo or 16dp5dt=5812!
4rth beta at 23dpo or 18dp5dt=12,000
5th beta at 26dpo 21dp5dt=40,580
Twins born May 2010

#3 nervus optimist

nervus optimist
  • Super Moderator
  • 2677 posts
  • Dx:Genetic
  • My Clinic:newlife

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:26 AM

I'm so sorry you're going through this.  Our first IVF was fairly similar, we only got 4 eggs retrieved, 3 fertilized, 1 to transfer, positive beta which was climbing for a bit, and then dropped.  I think it took over a week before it 'took care of itself' (I really hate the language doctors use to describe our experiences) and like heres2hoping I had manageable pain (physically anyways) that was more crampy than anything else.  I remember that I felt so awful, through the whole IVF process I had mentally prepared myself that it might not work, but once we got that positive beta I was not remotely prepared for what could happen next - I knew logically, but emotionally it knocked the wind out of me.

thinking of you

:flowers:

I am 38, DH - 39
Genetic - IVF&PGD to prevent Genetic Disorder
IVF #1 - Nov/08 - MC @ 6 weeks, no embryos frozen
IVF #2 - Aug/09 - bfn
IUI #1 - Feb/10 - ectopic
PRIDE - Apr/10
Homestudy - July/10
Given the gift of donor embryos - Jan/12
Donor FET Jun/12 - 9 weeks - no heartbeat... MC
Donor FET Oct/12 - we're PG biggrin.png

===> Beautiful baby boy born 2013 babyboy.gif

Donor FET Oct/16 - chemical

April 2017 - surprise PG

===> Beautiful baby girl born 2017 babygirl.gif

#4 My_time

My_time

The world says give up! Hope whispers one more time

• Cyclebase
  • 1817 posts
  • Dx:Other

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:52 AM

I am so sorry to see you going through this. I wish I had an advice for you. I have gone through miscarriages many times and during each miscarriage found that REs did nothing to help. For some of my miscarriages I took baby aspirin and progesterone/estrogen without any help. Hugs to you sweetheart. I am so sorry to hear your story and devastated that you are in this place.

Diagnosis: Repeated Pregnancy Loss + DOR + Advance maternal Age.

So far no luck with IVF attempts. Hope things take a turn soon.

#5 MB.

MB.
  • Global 100+
  • 764 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:07 AM

Faith13 - I am so sorry for what you are going through.  It is such a hard thing to go through.  In a few days you will likely get your period which will seem a bit crampier due to the extra hormones this month. 

Talk to your doctor about the cycle and see what has been learned from it.  Unfortunately the first ivf cycle does not always work but the doctors can learn a lot about how to make your next cycle better. 

#6 onawingandapraye

onawingandapraye
  • Global 100+
  • 998 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Calgary Regional Fertility

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:21 AM

Hi Faith13 - I am so sorry you had to experience this.   IVF is such an emotional and physical rollercoaster.  Our 1st cycle was one embryo that split into 2 identical babies which we miscarried at 9 weeks due to the high risk of twins.  With that one I ended up having to go for an emergency D&C a week later as nothing would pass on its own. This past novemebr we did our first FET and it was a chemical as well.   As soon as I was told it was a chemical they told me to stop the prometrium and estrace and my period came about 3 days after.  Since then I have been regular again and have had no issues.

Me: 34 (35 for 3rd try - 36 when daughters were born)
DH: 32 (33 -34)

June 2011 - diagnosed with Male issues - Edmonton Fertility Clinic
End of October 2011- Transferred file to Calgary regional fertility clinic
Mid November - 2011- Calgary regional fertility clinic orientation date - March 8th-9th
December 10th 2011 - biopsy on DH to see if he has swimmers
January 4th 2012- Biopsy results--- oh happy day he has perfect mature boys
March 9th 2012 - officially on waiting list for IVF cycle #1
April 20th 2012 - DH Pesa to retrieve sperm

IVF #1
April 24th 2012 - got the call to start IVF
May 7th 2012 - Start superfact
May 18th 2012 - Ultrasound in Edmonton
May 20th 2012 - Start Gonal F 150
May 23rd 2012 - B/W increase Gonal F to 175
May 26th 2012- Calgary for U/S and B/W
May 28th 2012 - Increase gonal F to 325
May 30th 2012 - Decrease Gonal F to 175 too many follicles and BW high
May 31st 2012 - Coasting, levels increasing
June 2nd 2012 - Trigger shot 7500 IU
ER June 4 2012 - 11 eggs 8 mature 5 Embryos
ET June 9 2012 - Transfered 1embryo I already love and 1 more lovable embryo left to freeze
June 22 2012 - beta 503
June 26 2012 - beta #2 2077
July 2nd 2012 - beta #3 6838
July 10 2012 - 7 week ultrasound HOLY CRAP 1 beautiful embie became TWO beautiful babies yahoo.gif
July 18 2012 - ER ultrasound and no heartbeats. Not sure if I will try the frozen or just end the IVF journey here 8388.gif

FET #1
Oct 25th 2012 - Start superfact sniffing again
Nov 27th 2012 - transfer the last and winning baby bean
Dec 12th 2012 - test day
Chemical pregnancy sad.png

IVF fresh cycle #2
March 26 2013 - start superfact
April 9 2013 - Ultrasound in Edmonton

Bigger success with number two.  2 embies put back 3 frozen.   I guess not caring and not fixating on different changes worked.  lived my life as normal and 5 wonderful embryos made.

Twins!!!!  Even better success this time as both made it to term.  38.5 weeks two beautiful little girls were born Jan 5/14

#7 mkttc

mkttc
  • Global 100+
  • 161 posts
  • Dx:PCOS
  • My Clinic:Edmonton Fertility Clinic

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:29 AM

I am so sorry - I have had three miscarriages - two of them were "natural" and I had absolutely no physical pain with either of them.  I had to have a D & C for one and that also went very well with very little pain.  The emotional roller coaster of the devastation plus the hormone drop was difficult, but I found after my levels returned to normal I felt (slightly) less shitty.  I am sending you good thoughts and hoping you have success in the future. 

TTC for about 9 years (since age 30)
2007 - Metformin & suspected early M/C in July 2007
2009 - Hysteroscopy - endo found & removed, no blockages
2010 - Clomid
Feb 2010 - first ever BFP on 2nd cycle
March 2010 - dx M/C, emerg d&c
April 2010 - referral to Edmonton Fertility Clinic
FSH - 6.1 DH's completely fine...
July 2010 - first IUI on clomid
5 failed IUI
January 2011 - IVF #1 - BFN
3 more failed IUI
Last chance FET likely August 2011
BFP - ultrasound shows two sacs
Natural M/C 7 weeks
Ultimate Shocker - natural BFP one month later...
Wow - daughter born July 16/2012

#8 rollergirl

rollergirl

Cougar Alert....loves boy toys...the younger the better!!

• 1000+
  • 1884 posts
  • My Clinic:VFC

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:43 AM

So sorry to hear of your miscarriage. I had the same thing happen and it sucks ass to put it bluntly. You will get your period hopefully shortly and carry on from then. My RE said at the time that this does mean you can get pregnant so that is a good sign. Unfortunately, had to deal with the chemical pregnancy. 

Good luck to you from here on in....

Me-72 DH-26 It is what it is...

#9 nervus optimist

nervus optimist
  • Super Moderator
  • 2677 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:49 PM

one more thing - if your blood type is Rh negative talk to your doctor about whether you need a whinrho (or rhogam - it goes by both names).  I'm Rh negative and need it every time.  it sucks because it feels like adding insult to injury but better to know for sure.

I am 38, DH - 39
IVF #2 - Aug/09 - bfn
PRIDE - Apr/10
Homestudy - July/10

April 2017 - surprise PG

#10 lm501

lm501
  • Global 100+
  • 184 posts
  • Dx:Endometriosis

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:58 PM

Faith - So sorry to hear about your experience. I also had a chemical on my first IVF I started bleeding as soon as I found out and had a lot of very heavy bleeding and large clots (sorry for the TMI) the pain wasn't too bad but I was scared with the amount of bleeding and just as I was considering going to the ER it eased off. I think all of the stims made the bleeding worse as it was worse than a m/c I had at 7 weeks with a natural pregnancy. Big hugs to you I hope it goes as well as possible
Me: 42 and DH: 41
8 failed IUI's
Lap discovered Endo Stage 4 & tubes not working b/c of scar tissue
IVF/ICSI #1 with 3 blasts 2 transferred one frozen - Chemical pregnancy July 2007
IVF #2 cancelled due to poor response Fall 2007
IVF/ICSI #3with 2 good blasts BFN - January 2008
FET #1 - One transferred BFP!!! October 2008
DS Born 2009
Natural pregnancy (it's actually possible??) miscarriage at 7 weeks June 2011
IVF #4 - EPP - 450 gonal -f 75 Luveris - 3 embryos 2 put back on a 3DT - BFN - no frosties May 2012
IVF DE #1 Dec 2013 - Blighted Ovum D&C 9 weeks 3 frosties FET DE #1 June 2013 - slow growth weak HB at 7 weeks, gone at 9 weeks...2 frosties FET DE #2 June 2014 - 2 Blasts transferred....Ectopic.....Methotrexate shot 10 weeks....

#11 vball_gal

vball_gal
  • Cyclebase
  • 1204 posts
  • My Clinic:RFP (Calgary)

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:21 PM

So sorry to hear about the chemical pregnancy :=(  I've had 2 now and they are no fun and they seem to be more common than I had originally thought.    Regarding the Rh factor chemicals are an indication that implantation occured but no fetus developed so there's no blood/circulatory developed yet to cause issues with someone who is Rh-.   If you don't know your blood type though it's a good idea to have this checked out for future reference.

See my about page for more information...

#12 Faith13

Faith13

Faith

• Just Hatched
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Becoming a Mummy! Crafts: knitting, crochet, sewing, scrapbooking, beading
    reading, shopping, playing cards,

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:38 PM

Hi Ladies,

Thanks heaps for your caring and thoughtful words!!! I really appreciate it.

Now I don't feel so alone...

This morning I felt painful cramps (sort of) when in the shower and had to get out to lay down.

Still nothing has started yet, and someone has told me that they felt similar pains and they kept the baby. I want to stay a bit hopeful...

Nervous Optomist (am I meant to tag you somehow?) I felt like you... I had no idea that it could change. Thank you for sharing. ;)

Heres2hoping - thank you for your kind words and my first post repsonse!

onawingandapraye - I'm sorry to hear that you lost your twins. That is heartbreaking! prometrium and estrace?? I'm thinking that must be something for women overseas? I'm in Australia and they said that they don't give you hormones after the transfer, apart from an injection the next day, which I didn't need as my estrogen had risen itself naturally. What is your hormones? Maybe I can ask my doctor for that? I did ask if they could give me something to help the baby stay, but alas, there was nothing.

mktcc - I'm so glad that you have a little girl now and you still check out this forum to help others. THe information that you have written after your comment (like others) is that your 'signature' ie. personal journey??

I will find out my blood type! Thanks for the advice and I look forward to reading more...

xx

Faith :)

#13 nervus optimist

nervus optimist
  • Super Moderator
  • 2677 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:35 AM

I don't believe the forum has a tagging feature - thanks for your kind note.  

take care of yourself - do what feels right for you to get through this.

hugs

I am 38, DH - 39
IVF #2 - Aug/09 - bfn
PRIDE - Apr/10
Homestudy - July/10

April 2017 - surprise PG

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ivf, unexplained infertility, low egg count, miscarriage, chemical pregnancy, fertility acupuncture, low hcg, harvest pain