Would you be the first to do IVF/PGD at Olive? - Genesis - IVF.ca Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Would you be the first to do IVF/PGD at Olive?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Lulu3

Lulu3
  • 39 posts
  • Dx:PCOS

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:53 AM

With Olive opening end of May for IVF, I'm wondering how everyone feels about being the "first batch" to cycle there, namely doing PGD. I have reservations about this - how would you feel? I'm worried that they'll have kinks to work out and like any new business, may have bumps in the road for the first little while (technology, staff, new environment etc). I'm not sure if this will effect the success rates and quality of the first cyclers there. The PGD part makes me nervous, since it's such a delicate procedure, having it done somewhere brand new worries me. Am I being overly cautious?

• vancityv likes this

#2 My_time

My_time

The world says give up! Hope whispers one more time

• Cyclebase
  • 1817 posts
  • Dx:Other

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:21 AM

Depends on the Dr and the embryology lab they use. If the RE has worked in another centre before and has experience and if they use embryology lab that has experience then I wouldn't be worried. PGD is done by embryologist and it really depends where they send their samples. Most centres use the same embryology labs so it doesn't matter where you do it...

Diagnosis: Repeated Pregnancy Loss + DOR + Advance maternal Age.

So far no luck with IVF attempts. Hope things take a turn soon.

#3 My_time

My_time

• Cyclebase
  • 1817 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:24 AM

Reading about this in internet, Dr. Yuzpe, Taylor, Hitkari and Fluker have worked in Genesis before anyway and Olive doesn't have its own embryology lab so it probably uses the same that genesis did?

#4 rollergirl

rollergirl

Cougar Alert....loves boy toys...the younger the better!!

• 1000+
  • 1884 posts
  • My Clinic:VFC

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:32 AM

For PGD, they send it to Detroit to analysis....I had a phone consult with Dr. Yuzpe in mid January. They can get the results within 24 hours. And what I found interesting was Dr. Yuzpe said that he would recommend an amnio as well just in case the PGD didn't find everything. He shared a story with a woman carrying twins and 2 "healthy" embryos were put in. She had the amnio done and one baby was found to be carry the gene/chromosome the family didn't want. Selective reduction was done and the woman went on to have a healthy singleton. 

Good luck with your decision....

• My_time likes this
Me-72 DH-26 It is what it is...

#5 smurfette_w

smurfette_w
  • Cyclebase
  • 2457 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:57 PM

I did PGD with Genesis on my last cycle.  Like everyone already mentioned, PGD itself is not done at Genesis/Olive, but done at Genesis Genetics in Detroit.  The only thing that I'd worry about is the person who will be extracting the cell samples from your embryos at Olive to be sent to Genesis Genetics because it requires great skill, that's the question I would pose to Dr. Yuzpe.  I'd worry about whether or not they would "wreck" my embryo or not be able to properly extract the cell for analysis in Detroit.

Good luck on whatever you decide!

Me: genetic issues
DH: genetic issues, MFI

TTC since Summer 2009

See my profile for details

#6 My_time

My_time

• Cyclebase
  • 1817 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:08 PM

I did PGD with Genesis on my last cycle.  Like everyone already mentioned, PGD itself is not done at Genesis/Olive, but done at Genesis Genetics in Detroit.  The only thing that I'd worry about is the person who will be extracting the cell samples from your embryos at Olive to be sent to Genesis Genetics because it requires great skill, that's the question I would pose to Dr. Yuzpe.  I'd worry about whether or not they would "wreck" my embryo or not be able to properly extract the cell for analysis in Detroit.

Embryologist will extract the cell out not RE. Olive doesn't seem to have embryologist on site and they must use one of the central ones in vancouver. I would ask them to find out which lab is the embryology lab and then look at the other clinics who use that lab and their rated. Good luck to all!

#7 Misconceived

Misconceived
  • 83 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:58 PM

Embryologist will extract the cell out not RE. Olive doesn't seem to have embryologist on site and they must use one of the central ones in vancouver. I would ask them to find out which lab is the embryology lab and then look at the other clinics who use that lab and their rated. Good luck to all!

My understanding is that Olive will start doing procedures starting in May when they move into their permanent facility and will in fact have their own lab.
I am not sure how many lab staff will move from Genesis to Olive when they split. 

#8 evergreen

evergreen
  • Just Hatched
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:25 PM

I am also waiting to do PGD with the new Olive.  It's been a long wait since the genetic test development in Detroit took much, much longer than anticipated.  Now I am hearing from some healthcare insiders in Vancouver that the Olive lab won't really be up and running for quite some time ... longer than the June date announced.  Is this just gossip or am I out of the loop?  

#9 tonks78

tonks78
  • 62 posts
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:Olive Fertility Centre

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:11 PM

Is that just the lab for PGD or IVF in general as well?  I'm trying not to freak out as I'm counting on a July IVF cycle (without PGD)...

Me: 34 DH: 41 TTC since Dec 2010 
Nov 2011: MFI diagnosis (borderline low count, low motility and morphology); advised IVF w/ ICSI after weight loss
Apr - Aug 2012: try acupuncture (me), supplements and vitamin shots (DH); no changes
Sept 2012: start losing weight
Jan 2013: new clinic - ready to start talking about treatments
Feb 2013: high FSH (10), low AMH (0.67); still need to lose more weight
Feb 2013: increase CoQ10
Apr 2013: start acupuncture and DHEA; hysteroscopy is clear
May 2013: natural IUI BFN 

IVF # 1 - Jul/Aug 2013
Jul 12 - start BCP
Jul 25 - start Synarel
Aug 8 - start stims - 150 Menopur am and 225 Bravelle pm
Aug 16 - 3 large follicles and 2 medium :( I more day of stims
Aug 17 - 4 large follicles and 2 medium. Trigger day!
Aug19 - ER 4 eggs retrieved
Aug 20 - 3 fertilized (ICSI)
Aug 22 - 1 7B and 1 6C embryo transferred; 3rd 4C so we'll see what happens
And now for the excruciating wait!

#10 mitchellcat39

mitchellcat39

mitchellcat

• 8 posts
  • Dx:Vasectomy
  • My Clinic:olive

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:30 PM

I have an end of May orientation apt and spoke with a nurse from Olive on thursday and she assured me that the lab at olive would be ready at the end of june. Fingers crossed that she is right!

#11 Dr.Hitkari

Dr.Hitkari
  • Physician
  • 98 posts
  • My Clinic:Olive Fertility

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:21 AM

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to clear up a few things about the PGD program.  The first is that we have recruited the primary staff involved in our previous PGD program.  For example, Dr.Ouhibi is our Lab Supervisor and has been working with us and she has been doing our PGD biopsies for the last two and a half years.  She has experience with embryo biopsies that dates back to the late nineteen nineties. 

Danielle is the Senior Nurse coordinating the program with Dr.Yuzpe for the last three years and she is also continuing in this role.  Dr.Yuzpe, of  course, will continue to be the physician in charge of the program.

So we don't anticipate many changes to this program other than increasing the number of diseases we can screen for and hopefully continue to increase the pregnancy rates.

Take care

Dr.H

• waitingforbfp likes this