additional costs?? pre-implantation genetics and CGH probes - Montreal Reproductive Centre - IVF.ca Forums

Photo
- - - - -

additional costs?? pre-implantation genetics and CGH probes

array cgh probes

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 shaval

shaval
  • Just Hatched
  • 6 posts
  • Dx:Genetic
  • My Clinic:montreal reproductive center

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:51 PM

Hello,

i'm new to the ivf world and website.

i live in montreal and i am presently at the Montreal Reproductive Center.

I also have an appointment soon at the McGill Reproductive Center.

So far i had the initial consultation, baseline echo and blood tes and my husband the blood tests and spermogramme.

We have a chromosomal problem and therefore wish to avoid further miscarriages and passing on the unbalanced version of our translocation which leads to severe congenital problems and serious deseases. (describing it in a simple way) 

as a couple with a genetics issue , we are covered by the RAMQ, (regime assurance medicaments quebec),for 3 cycles of IVF treatments.......

what i found surprising is that i was quoted to have to dish out also out of pocket about 8000.00$$

since in order to analyse the translocation and all chromosomes to avoid any trisomy and any other chromosomes problems,the Clinic has to order probes, he recommended the array CGH probe......

i was wondering if anyone knows about costs of probes?

if anyone ever did pre implantation genetics?

and overall advise about this clinic?

thanks so much in advance, 

Shaval.

#2 nervus optimist

nervus optimist
  • Super Moderator
  • 2677 posts
  • Dx:Genetic
  • My Clinic:newlife

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:57 PM

hi shaval,

welcome to the site, though I'm so sorry to hear of the circumstances that have brought you here.  we did PGD to prevent passing on a genetic disorder, but it was several years ago - I believe the probes were close to $4500 and then there was a fee of an additional $3500 over and above the cost of IVF for each cycle.  I could be wrong about the prices as it was so long ago.  if you go to the 'infertility by cause' section of the site and then go to 'genetics' there are a number of threads in that area related to PGD.  There are quite a few of us who did PGD, some with balanced translocations, some like me with a family history of specific genetic disorder and some for other reasons.  many of those are now proud parents of healthy children.  in our case IVF+PGD did not work for us, but had nothing to do with PGD and everything to do with the fact that I just don't make enough eggs.  PGD really is a numbers game and the number of eggs produced on a cycle is the best indicator for success, so after 2 cycles that each made only 3 mature eggs, the doctor said it was time to go in a different direction and for us it was the right choice.  but that being said - most women do make a good number of eggs, and there are lots of amazing success stories, so there is lots of hope for a happy outcome.

wishing you all the best on your journey

:flowers:

I am 38, DH - 39
Genetic - IVF&PGD to prevent Genetic Disorder
IVF #1 - Nov/08 - MC @ 6 weeks, no embryos frozen
IVF #2 - Aug/09 - bfn
IUI #1 - Feb/10 - ectopic
PRIDE - Apr/10
Homestudy - July/10
Given the gift of donor embryos - Jan/12
Donor FET Jun/12 - 9 weeks - no heartbeat... MC
Donor FET Oct/12 - we're PG biggrin.png