#1 Montrealer

Montrealer
  • Just Hatched
  • 4 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:McGill

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:04 AM

Hi,

I am new to the forum and I desperately need advice. In the past two years, we have had two unsuccessful IUIs and IVFs at McGill and we are heartbroken. Our RE at McGill has no explanations for us and wants us to redo the same protocol that we did for IVF #1 although it was unsuccessful. We would like to get a second opinion from another RE in Montreal. We heard about Dr Tan's new clinic being a bit disorganized so we want to know if Dr Tan's expertise would outweigh the clinic's shortcomings. If anyone has recently been to Dr Tan's clinic, can you please let us know how was your experience there? We really are at loss as to what to do next and we still have only one free IVF left. Help please!!

#2 Heregoesnothing

Heregoesnothing

Heregoesnothing

• Cyclebase
  • 1416 posts
  • My Clinic:Canada

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:36 AM

I called Dr. Tan and disorganized is an understatement! It was a mess! Never got called back, I'm the one who had to keep calling. She lost my papers... Plus one thing that really turned me off is that Dr. Tan required that I get a whole bat of additional tests done. I had already done all these tests but they were expired. (2 years old!) That would have set me back a good 1-2 years easily considering the wait times to get these done. So, I just gave up on him.

When I wanted a second opinion, I visited every clinic in Montreal (Ovo, Procrea, McGill and MFC...) It was very interesting to see the difference in protocol. Though for us, what we found was that every clinic was very cookie cutter in the protocols they offered. McGill was the only clinic that really analyzed our past cycles and created an entire different protocol tailored to our needs.

Good Luck.

May 2013 - We welcome our baby boy 

Nov. 28th 2015 - We welcome our baby girl

3 day 3 embryos on ice 

For a more detailed look on my cycles, visit my 'about me' page

#3 Montrealer

Montrealer
  • Just Hatched
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:08 AM

Hi Heregoesnothing,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. You are right. It's frustrating to have to redo all the tests. Even if our tests are up to date, the clinic still wants us to redo a few of them on site, which means we have to pay out of pocket. We chose McGill initially because it has such a good reputation but after two years of unsuccessful treatments, we thought maybe the other clinics would be better. At the same time, we don't want to react out of frustration, that is why your opinion and that of other fellow ivfers is so very useful. I am curious to know if you were at McGill initially and decided to stay there or if you switched from another clinic? Also may I know who your RE is? Do you think it would be a good idea to seek a second opinion from within McGill (if that's an option at all)?

#4 judes

judes
  • Cyclebase
  • 1053 posts
  • Dx:PCOS
  • My Clinic:Montreal Fertility Centre

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:39 AM

Montrealer - I was not at McGill initially, but at OVO and switched to MFC. My GP when referring me to a fertility clinic when we started this some years ago, warned us against McGill. She practically said they suck, without actually saying it. I suspect my GP actually went through IF and used McGill and it was her experience talking. I don't know much about MRC and Dr. Tan, but I have heard its pretty disorganized. I encourage you to get opinions at as many clinics as you can and see what suits you better.

Just for the heck of it, I can tell you my experience at OVO was horrible. They wasted my time "testing" for something I was already diagnosed with (making me chart my temp for 6 months when it was already clear I didn't ovulate). I hated the RE and I found the staff rude. When I switched to MFC it was night and day. the service was more personal, the staff actually remembers you name (to the point where you just walk in and sit down for your appointments and either the nurse or receptionist will just take out your chart). The REs there really seem to genuinely care about the outcome of your cycle. The only caveat is if you are looking for super aggressive treatments, MFC tends to be more conservative (although that is not to say they would not be open to something more aggressive if your case dictates a need for it).

Good luck with your journey!

Me: 34 Him: 35
Married since 2006 TTC ever since
Diagnosis: PCOS 

For complete history, see about me.

IVF 1.3
12/26 - Mackenzie born 7:54 am, 6 lbs 3 oz

wFsTm5.png

2013 - Project sibling

IVF 2.1

4/17 - consult - Project sibling is a go.  same protocol as last time pending bloodwork and sonohysterogram. 

Projected beginning of cycle - August 2013.

5/8 - sonohysterogram: tubes clear, no residual placental tissue, ovaries still polycystic. Green light to cycle when ready.

8/9 - baseline scan. begin meds, 150 puregon, 50 menopur

8/13 - add orgalutran

8/18 - trigger half ovidrel, half hcg

8/20 - ER - 17 retrieved. 8/21 - 8 mature, 7 fertilised

8/23 - ET - One 8-cell grade 2 embryo transfered

8/26 - One embaby made it to the freezer!

9/1 - HPT - BFP!!!!

9/5 - Beta - 295!

9/9 - Beta - 1550!

9/18 - we have a heartbeat. Little Shrimp is 4.5mm and heart is beating at 109 bpm

10/25 - Turns out Little Shrimp is actually Little Shrimps! We had identical twins! Twin A 174 bpm, Twin B 183 bpm. Both measuring 11wks + 4 days

11/1 - NT scan. 1.5 and 1.6mm. Twins both measuring 12wks + 5 days, 2 days ahead.

Week 24 - put on modified bed rest due to softening of the cervix

Week 27 - hospitalised with pre-term contractions

Week 29 - put on strict bed rest

Seamus and Ronan born March 13 at 31 weeks and 2 days

Ronan came home April 7 and Seamus came home April 11.

SFCBm4.png

My blog - Geeky.Mama.Life

My YouTube channel - Geeky Mama Life

My day in the life vlog - Geeky.Mama.Vlogs

#5 Montrealer

Montrealer
  • Just Hatched
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:20 PM

Hi Judes,

Thank you so much for your advice. I did book an appointment with MFC but it will go all the way to the end of January. I feel like kicking myself in the butt for not calling them sooner Posted Image My last IVF was in September and we were quite confident it would work as the doctor was quite happy with the number of follicles, their sizes, etc. My 3rd IVF is scheduled at McGill on February so maybe I should just keep the McGill appointment and meet with Dr. M. at MFC in January and see how it goes. The thinking is starting to take a toll on me honestly.

I see from your signature that IVF#3 worked. I am so very happy for you Posted Image

#6 Lisa1981

Lisa1981
  • Cyclebase
  • 1698 posts
  • Interests:Getting my sanity back
  • Dx:Endometriosis
  • My Clinic:N/A at the moment

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:05 PM

Hey there Posted Image,

I know this thread is 10 days old, but I wanted to add some info... Montreal Reproductive Center (MRC) is NOT recongnised by the RAMQ (thats one of the reason there are sooooo little post on this thread)... If your a QC resident, you will have to pay out of pocket should you choose to go there. MFC, OVO, Procrea, CHUM and McGill are covered by the RAMQ. Also, Dr Tan is a Doctor at McGill (or at least he was the last time I checked).... If you really want to see him, you may stay at McGill just ask to be transfered over to him. This way, you will have the Doc from MRC without the out of pocket expenses at McGill...

Good Luck Posted Image

PS: I would keep my appointment at MFC if I were you (I kept mine that I booked in August and although i ony had the initial appointment, I'm please with the switch so far Posted Image )

Me: 33 - DH: 36

July 2012: referred to Ottawa fertility center
August 2012: Test results are back
High FSH, Low AFC (only 6)
Endo (duuuh) & DOR  (great....)

And may has well make it a trio...male factor (motility)

After 2 failed IUIs, 5 Failed IVF:

Trying on our own until spring come's along... 

Feb 09: A little Miracle, a natural BFP. Praying it sticks around for 9 months.

Feb 11: Beta 25 (yikes)- P4: 47 oh boy, put on progesterone

Feb 13: Beta 86 - P4: 144

Feb 18: Beta 544 - P4: 96

Feb 20: Beta 1128 - P4: 81... increased progesterone to 600mg

Feb 24: Beta 1608 - P4: 100... oh boy, not looking promissing

Feb 25: Beta: 1942 (no P4) at another hospital.. ok, looking better... U/S: sac and yolk. Nothing else.

March 04: HB 115. Problem: Sac is small... repeat u/s next week

March 14: U/S , HB (abdominal) 167bpm (internal) 158bpm. Problem: Sac still small, reapeat u/s in 10 days..

March 24: U/S confirmed no HB.. stop progesterone. M/C that same evening

#7 Alihada

Alihada
  • 3 posts
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:Montreal Reproductive Center

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:17 PM

Montreal Reproductive Center (MRC) is NOT recongnised by the RAMQ

Well, I'd be surprised. I'm in my first IVF, after 3 IUI at the MRC and not a cent has gone out of my pocket for them. Also, they were the ones that explained to me how to get outside donor vials paid by the RAMQ - a thing that nobody at McGill was able and /or took the time to explain to us.

To answer to you, Montrealer, please consider that the McGill reproductive centre was founded and directed for a long time by Dr. Tan himself. He is still active there maybe that could come into play when analyzing your case.

#8 Lisa1981

Lisa1981
  • Cyclebase
  • 1698 posts
  • Interests:Getting my sanity back
  • Dx:Endometriosis
  • My Clinic:N/A at the moment

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:02 AM

Well, I'd be surprised. I'm in my first IVF, after 3 IUI at the MRC and not a cent has gone out of my pocket for them. Also, they were the ones that explained to me how to get outside donor vials paid by the RAMQ - a thing that nobody at McGill was able and /or took the time to explain to us.

It is possible that things have changed... a while back, they were not (thats what the RAMQ and OFC told me)

Me: 33 - DH: 36

July 2012: referred to Ottawa fertility center
August 2012: Test results are back
High FSH, Low AFC (only 6)
Endo (duuuh) & DOR  (great....)

And may has well make it a trio...male factor (motility)

After 2 failed IUIs, 5 Failed IVF:

Trying on our own until spring come's along... 

Feb 09: A little Miracle, a natural BFP. Praying it sticks around for 9 months.

Feb 11: Beta 25 (yikes)- P4: 47 oh boy, put on progesterone

Feb 13: Beta 86 - P4: 144

Feb 18: Beta 544 - P4: 96

Feb 20: Beta 1128 - P4: 81... increased progesterone to 600mg

Feb 24: Beta 1608 - P4: 100... oh boy, not looking promissing

Feb 25: Beta: 1942 (no P4) at another hospital.. ok, looking better... U/S: sac and yolk. Nothing else.

March 04: HB 115. Problem: Sac is small... repeat u/s next week

March 14: U/S , HB (abdominal) 167bpm (internal) 158bpm. Problem: Sac still small, reapeat u/s in 10 days..

March 24: U/S confirmed no HB.. stop progesterone. M/C that same evening

#9 judes

judes
  • Cyclebase
  • 1053 posts
  • Dx:PCOS
  • My Clinic:Montreal Fertility Centre

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:12 AM

I heard the same that MRC was not covered by the RAMQ when they first opened. I am pretty sure things must have changed by now.
  • Lisa1981 likes this

Me: 34 Him: 35
Married since 2006 TTC ever since
Diagnosis: PCOS 

For complete history, see about me.

IVF 1.3
12/26 - Mackenzie born 7:54 am, 6 lbs 3 oz

wFsTm5.png

2013 - Project sibling

IVF 2.1

4/17 - consult - Project sibling is a go.  same protocol as last time pending bloodwork and sonohysterogram. 

Projected beginning of cycle - August 2013.

5/8 - sonohysterogram: tubes clear, no residual placental tissue, ovaries still polycystic. Green light to cycle when ready.

8/9 - baseline scan. begin meds, 150 puregon, 50 menopur

8/13 - add orgalutran

8/18 - trigger half ovidrel, half hcg

8/20 - ER - 17 retrieved. 8/21 - 8 mature, 7 fertilised

8/23 - ET - One 8-cell grade 2 embryo transfered

8/26 - One embaby made it to the freezer!

9/1 - HPT - BFP!!!!

9/5 - Beta - 295!

9/9 - Beta - 1550!

9/18 - we have a heartbeat. Little Shrimp is 4.5mm and heart is beating at 109 bpm

10/25 - Turns out Little Shrimp is actually Little Shrimps! We had identical twins! Twin A 174 bpm, Twin B 183 bpm. Both measuring 11wks + 4 days

11/1 - NT scan. 1.5 and 1.6mm. Twins both measuring 12wks + 5 days, 2 days ahead.

Week 24 - put on modified bed rest due to softening of the cervix

Week 27 - hospitalised with pre-term contractions

Week 29 - put on strict bed rest

Seamus and Ronan born March 13 at 31 weeks and 2 days

Ronan came home April 7 and Seamus came home April 11.

SFCBm4.png

My blog - Geeky.Mama.Life

My YouTube channel - Geeky Mama Life

My day in the life vlog - Geeky.Mama.Vlogs

#10 Montrealer

Montrealer
  • Just Hatched
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:50 PM

Thanks Lisa and Alihada for your advice. I really appreciate it. I apologize for not answering earlier but I haven't visited the forum for a while. To give you an update, we finally decided to cycle at MFC. I was able to get an earlier appointment with Dr. Mahutte and were very pleased with him. It's reassuring to know that he will be doing all the procedures and follow-up. Although McGill has its pluses, I got tired of seeing a different doctor/resident/nurse and waiting for hours every time.

I also did a phone consult with Dr. Sher from the US to get his opinion and he pointed out a few things that could have been done better especially for our second IVF treatment.

I really hope and pray that the third time is the charm. Since the clinic is closed for the holidays, we may be able to cycle only in February.

#11 yushi

yushi
  • Just Hatched
  • 1 posts
  • Dx:Other

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:41 AM

I'm been follow by Dr. D for almost two years now at McGill Fertility Center. We know two others couple (friends) that were in treatement at that clinic and they refer us. I had previously consult OVO in January 2011. We were not please by the first consultation. The assigned Dr was very young (maybe an intern or a new grad), we had prepare a list of question, she barely answer haft of them, she just told (not explain us ) the next step and she just us over the nurse. The nurse haven't offer better services. we just feel like a number.

After 5 months of waiting, we had our first appointement at McGill. Every tests is free and we only had to paie for our prescription (wich is on ou case cover by our privite insurance). The parking fees are expensive (20$ each visit). Even if we took appointement for every tests, you need to plan a least an hour of waiting. Everything is slower than the Ovo clinic but the good thing is every tests is done in the same building. McGill is a public hospital and we discover that yoiu really need to follow uour case. We were victim of few miss communication error from the hospital staff.  After the first consultation, our next step was the IVF that was plan 7 months later. At the IVF appointement, the nurse was surprise that nobody told us that we had 3 IUI before. Just felt that we lost 7 months!!! Our Dr just feel bad for us and we were schedule for an intervention each month. From january 2012 to august 2012 , we had done: 4IUI and 2 IVF. After the second unsucessfull IVF, she suggest us to have a hystoroscopy. I have to call the hospital every day#1 of my period. From august 2012 to december 2012...no way to find a place on my Dr schedule. My period doesn't fit with my Dr calendar. Grrrr... I call the nurse support line and I explain my situation. She check my file and told me that I was schedule for a Hystoroscopy in early November. I was no voice,. I have been follow the process every month to call the hospital and nobody informed me that I had an appointement. So desapointed, we finally convince the receptionnist that we need to discuss to my Dr. She finally give us another appointement in February. Our third IVF is schedule for April 2013. See all the delay! During this Holydays,I had seriouly consider to switch back to Ovo as there site mention that there are no more delay for IVF as they re-absord all the waiting list.

For Dr Tan, I only see him once at McGill Fertility center and we wasn't receiving patient...just doing some paperwork. I saw a lot of photos of him with Celine Dion and Julie Snyder. I'm not sure if he take any new patient but in my mind he is a celabrity Dr only.