the ins & outs of arranging consultations? - Waiting Lounge - IVF.ca Forums

Photo
- - - - -

the ins & outs of arranging consultations?

ohip

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rosie84

rosie84
  • 49 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:28 PM

Hi guys,

I am still trying to figure out the ins and outs of setting up initial consultations. Is it possible to set up consultations at more than one clinic concurrently and still have it covered by OHIP? My gut definitely says no on that one, but I just wanted to confirm. Also, if you book a consultation privately independent of OHIP, is the wait time generally the same or is it a shorter wait? I am just curious because I would really like the opportunity to speak with more than one clinic before committing to do IVF at any one particular place, but it would be great to have a (relatively) time efficient way of doing so. Thanks!

me: 30 DH: 38
dx: unexplained

IUI #1 8/10 (unmedicated) = BFN
IUI #2 10/10 (Clomid) = BFP, no hb at 7w4d (missed miscarriage)
IUI #3 12/10 (Clomid) = BFN
IUI #4 1/11 (Puregon) = BFN
IUI #5 2/11 (Puregon) = BFN
IUI #6 3/11 (Puregon) = BFN
IVF/ICSI #1 5/11 (antagonist protocol, 12 eggs retrieved, 8 fert, 3dt of 2) = BFN
FET #1 7/11 (3dt of 3) = BFN
FET #2 8/11 (day 3 SET due to only 1 embryo surviving thaw) = BFN
IVF/ICSI #2 10/11 (antagonist, 10 eggs retrieved, 8 fert, 5dt of 1 early blast and 1 expanding blast ) = BFP, b/g twins!
Our sweet son and daughter born and died at 20w due to pPROM (preceded by a partial placental abruption at 16w),

operative hysteroscopy and 2 D&Cs due to retained placenta complicated by hemorrhage
IVF/ICSI #3 5/12 (antagonist, 10 eggs retrieved, 7 mature, 6 fert, day 3 SET) = BFP, chemical pregnancy at 5w2d

long-shot Clomid/Prednisone cycle while waiting to start a new IVF 10/12 = BFP (what a shock!)
beta 1: 146 (13 dpo), beta 2: 391 (15 dpo), beta 3: 955 (18 dpo), beta 4: 2341 (20 dpo), beta 5: 4885 (22 dpo)
21/Nov 12 - 1st ultrasound (6w5d) - HR 139 bpm
29/Nov 12 - 2nd ultrasound (7w6d) - HR 167 bpm

3/Jan 13 - IPS and 1st MFM appt - NT scan looks good! - gave birth to a beautiful, healthy girl on 26/6/13!

--

TTC again  March 2014

FET #3 May/June 14 - 4 embryos thawed on d3, attempted to grow to d5 - none survived 

IVF #4  July/August 14 - antagonist protocol, 10 eggs retrieved, 5 fert, 3dt of 2 = BFP!

beta 1: 220 (11dp3dt), beta 2: 671 (13dp3dt), beta 3: 10,762 (19dp3dt) - it's twins!

#2 gibasgirl

gibasgirl
  • Site Admin
  • 13147 posts
  • Interests:I like many things, music (all kinds), tennis, photography, and languages to name a few. Ok, interior and industrial design, opera, and TV. Yes, TV, there are just so many darn good TV shows on the air. Ugh, it's hard to resist.

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:47 AM

Hi guys,

I am still trying to figure out the ins and outs of setting up initial consultations. Is it possible to set up consultations at more than one clinic concurrently and still have it covered by OHIP? My gut definitely says no on that one, but I just wanted to confirm. Also, if you book a consultation privately independent of OHIP, is the wait time generally the same or is it a shorter wait? I am just curious because I would really like the opportunity to speak with more than one clinic before committing to do IVF at any one particular place, but it would be great to have a (relatively) time efficient way of doing so. Thanks!

Hello Rosie,

Welcome to the community.

I've been a patient at more than one clinic in Ontario and I don't think it will be an issue to have OHIP coverage for multiple consultations.

Keep in mind, each clinic has a diffirent waiting period. So some clinic are easier to get into (shorter wait) than others. It might take 2-3 months to get a consult with one clinic and 7-10 months to get into another, depending on the demand for the doctor in question.

So you could end up seeing the various doctors several months apart.

A referral to the clinic simply means OHIP covers the consultation. If you self-refer then you pay out of pocket for the consult, but it does not speed up/shorten the waiting time. (just like if you visited from out of country)

So much of this process involves trust so it does not hurt to consult before moving ahead with a cycle.

Which clinics are you considering?

If you haven't had a chance, you can look at the various clinic threads on this site for.an idea of people's past experiences.

There is a lot if information and support here.

Wishing you the very best.

#3 rosie84

rosie84
  • 49 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:03 PM

Hi guys,

Hello Rosie,

Welcome to the community.

I've been a patient at more than one clinic in Ontario and I don't think it will be an issue to have OHIP coverage for multiple consultations.

Keep in mind, each clinic has a diffirent waiting period. So some clinic are easier to get into (shorter wait) than others. It might take 2-3 months to get a consult with one clinic and 7-10 months to get into another, depending on the demand for the doctor in question.

So you could end up seeing the various doctors several months apart.

A referral to the clinic simply means OHIP covers the consultation. If you self-refer then you pay out of pocket for the consult, but it does not speed up/shorten the waiting time. (just like if you visited from out of country)

So much of this process involves trust so it does not hurt to consult before moving ahead with a cycle.

Which clinics are you considering?

If you haven't had a chance, you can look at the various clinic threads on this site for.an idea of people's past experiences.

There is a lot if information and support here.

Wishing you the very best.

Thank you very much! That's really helpful. I have an appointment with Dr. Laskin set for November. I heard that Lifequest has a good lab and does a lot of day 5 transfers, which is something I am looking for, since after losing my twins we are pretty tied to SET only. I know Dr. Laskin is highly regarded when it comes to repeat losses but I am not sure if the repeat loss angle will be particularly helpful since my losses have all been extremely different from each other.

I am also interested in seeing Dr. Hannam, though I understand the wait could be quite long. I like the idea of benefiting from both a small clinic and the expertise of one of the larger labs at the same time, which it sounds like I would get at Hannam. Lastly, I am interested in the famous Dr. Virro since we have yet to explore the immunological angle and his patients seem pretty fanatical about him, though it seems he would be the longest wait of all and I am not totally sold on the immunology stuff (though it probably doesn't hurt to consider it, given we are still unexplained after a fairly lengthy history).

me: 30 DH: 38
dx: unexplained

IUI #1 8/10 (unmedicated) = BFN
IUI #2 10/10 (Clomid) = BFP, no hb at 7w4d (missed miscarriage)
IUI #3 12/10 (Clomid) = BFN
IUI #4 1/11 (Puregon) = BFN
IUI #5 2/11 (Puregon) = BFN
IUI #6 3/11 (Puregon) = BFN
IVF/ICSI #1 5/11 (antagonist protocol, 12 eggs retrieved, 8 fert, 3dt of 2) = BFN
FET #1 7/11 (3dt of 3) = BFN
FET #2 8/11 (day 3 SET due to only 1 embryo surviving thaw) = BFN
IVF/ICSI #2 10/11 (antagonist, 10 eggs retrieved, 8 fert, 5dt of 1 early blast and 1 expanding blast ) = BFP, b/g twins!
Our sweet son and daughter born and died at 20w due to pPROM (preceded by a partial placental abruption at 16w),

operative hysteroscopy and 2 D&Cs due to retained placenta complicated by hemorrhage
IVF/ICSI #3 5/12 (antagonist, 10 eggs retrieved, 7 mature, 6 fert, day 3 SET) = BFP, chemical pregnancy at 5w2d

long-shot Clomid/Prednisone cycle while waiting to start a new IVF 10/12 = BFP (what a shock!)
beta 1: 146 (13 dpo), beta 2: 391 (15 dpo), beta 3: 955 (18 dpo), beta 4: 2341 (20 dpo), beta 5: 4885 (22 dpo)
21/Nov 12 - 1st ultrasound (6w5d) - HR 139 bpm
29/Nov 12 - 2nd ultrasound (7w6d) - HR 167 bpm

3/Jan 13 - IPS and 1st MFM appt - NT scan looks good! - gave birth to a beautiful, healthy girl on 26/6/13!

--

TTC again  March 2014

FET #3 May/June 14 - 4 embryos thawed on d3, attempted to grow to d5 - none survived 

IVF #4  July/August 14 - antagonist protocol, 10 eggs retrieved, 5 fert, 3dt of 2 = BFP!

beta 1: 220 (11dp3dt), beta 2: 671 (13dp3dt), beta 3: 10,762 (19dp3dt) - it's twins!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ohip