Low fertilization rates using ICSI help! - Waiting Lounge - IVF.ca Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Low fertilization rates using ICSI help!

MF IVF ICSI BFN

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Heregoesnothing

Heregoesnothing

Heregoesnothing

• Cyclebase
  • 1416 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Canada

Posted 25 June 2012 - 07:34 PM

Hi Ladies,

I'm currently waiting for my WTF appointment following a BFN. We've had two cycles thus far, both pretty bad in my opinion!

The first cycle was as follows:

5 eggs retrieved
3 fertilized naturally... NO ICSI used! (60% fertilization rate... though kind of unfair stat given such a low # of eggs)
Cycle cancelled b/c non made it to blast

The second cycle was as follows:

13 mature eggs
5 fertilized using ICSI (38%)
3 made it to day 3... 2 were transferred.
1 made it to blast at day 6, but was too low quality to freeze

The embryologist told us these results were most likely due to egg quality as well having MF. I'm very confused as I am only 31 years old. Could this really be happening to me?

Any experiences/advice for my WTF appointment would be greatly appreciated!

May 2013 - We welcome our baby boy 

Nov. 28th 2015 - We welcome our baby girl

3 day 3 embryos on ice 

For a more detailed look on my cycles, visit my 'about me' page

#2 notalone2

notalone2
  • Global 100+
  • 398 posts
  • My Clinic:OFC

Posted 25 June 2012 - 07:38 PM

I would ask what you can do to improve egg quality and what they recommend your next steps are based on the low fertilization rates. Good luck
Feb 2010 natural bfp - miscarriage blighted ovum
March 2011 first meeting at Ofc - slight male factor poor morph
June 2011 iui - cancelled lead follicle grew too fast
July 2011 iui2 - 2 follicles - bfn
October 2011 iui3 - 1 lead follicle fee fast - bfn
January 2012 iui4 converted to ivf - 5 eggs retrieved 0 fertilization - no transfer
June 2012 ivf #2 12 eggs retrieved 9 mature 8 fertilized with iCsi - 2 blasts Transfered day 5, 2 frosties - bfn
Nov 2012 FET - thawed our only frosties (2) only one survived. Transfer 1 blast 3BB
BFP nov 20

#3 rokgerl

rokgerl
  • Cyclebase
  • 1865 posts
  • Dx:Other

Posted 25 June 2012 - 08:53 PM

I too was told that I had egg quality issues after our first IVF. While my eggs fertilized fine, we had highly fragmented embryos, which points to an egg quality problem. Although I am a bit older than you (34 years old) they, and I, were completely surprised by these results. It was the furthest thing from what we expected. We did IVF #2 and had better growing embryos but the same fragmentation...I took DHEA for 8 weeks prior as well as CoQ10 and vitamin D. Although my 2nd IVF gave us a BFP, it sadly ended in m/c. Maybe ask them what they thicken of DHEA and CoQ10? Could be what you need to get that extra little boost!

Good luck!

#4 tjluvbug

tjluvbug
  • Cyclebase
  • 1574 posts
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:Olive

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:05 PM

We had really poor fertilization with our first ivf, I am also 31 yrs old and I was concerned about egg quality too. Doc sid that eggs looked good prior to fertilization, how did yours look? I had DH take lots of supplements and so did before our next cycle and we ended up doubling our fertilization.

<p>Me 38 (28 when we did first IVF) DH 52 3 IVF's, 2 FET's, & 2 IUI's.  Boy/Girl twins born March 12th, 2015 at 33w6d. Our family is complete

#5 misslizzy

misslizzy
  • Just Hatched
  • 2 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Northern CA Fertility Medical Center

Posted 11 November 2014 - 06:11 PM

We had really poor fertilization with our first ivf, I am also 31 yrs old and I was concerned about egg quality too. Doc sid that eggs looked good prior to fertilization, how did yours look? I had DH take lots of supplements and so did before our next cycle and we ended up doubling our fertilization.

Hello! I just finished my first IVF with low fertilization - 1 out of 6.  What supplements did you take to double your fertilization? Thanks!

#6 Heregoesnothing

Heregoesnothing

Heregoesnothing

• Cyclebase
  • 1416 posts
  • My Clinic:Canada

Posted 11 November 2014 - 07:44 PM

It's funny to read these old posts! Turns out It was somewhat of an egg quality issue - they triggered me too early on my 2nd cycle. My follicles had not reached mature stage. So hence the low fert report. On my following cycle, I had 16 eggs and all fertilized and gave me my son.

Maybe ask about the follicle size? See if that could have your issue as well?

Good luck!

May 2013 - We welcome our baby boy 

Nov. 28th 2015 - We welcome our baby girl

3 day 3 embryos on ice 

For a more detailed look on my cycles, visit my 'about me' page

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: MF, IVF, ICSI, BFN