• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Optimistic1

Optimistic1
  • Just Hatched
  • 2 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 21 June 2012 - 11:07 PM

Hello everyone! My name is Optimistic1 and I have a question regarding menstrual cycles and high thyroid peroxidase antibodies. I am not sure if there is any link between the two. I do see a holistic gyno and she thinks because of the high antibodies, I may have some sort of allergy, so she wants to do this allergy test that cost like 400 dollars to do. I am considering doing it. I want to have another baby. I had my first and only child at 18, fast forward 10 yrs and my cycle seems like it is always hiding out. I have graves' disease and my endo said well since your tsh and other thyroid labs are normal, its not my graves' causing my menstrual issues. He mentioned pcos and failure to ovulate. He even said for now I could take birth control and once I'm ready to start trying to get pregnant, I can get medicate to help me. Now my significant other and I have been having unprotected sex for at least 2 yrs without me being on bc. We both want another child but no such luck. It's not that we have been trying, its more so if it happens great, and if it happens, oh well. We are getting married next year and we are going to official start trying once we are married. Do you all have any advice as far what should I do or what should I ask my doctors to do. Is there any supplements I can take to lower my antibodies, do they even matter? I know I have a lot of questions but I am 28 and I am at a place where I want a baby and this scares me and makes me very emotional. I appreciate your help. Thanks.

#2 DrFionaMcCulloch

DrFionaMcCulloch
  • Physician
  • 842 posts
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:White Lotus Naturopathic

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:06 PM

Hi Optimistic,

There may be some connection between anti-thyroid antibodies and allergies so testing might be helpful. What we do know is that regardless of thyroid function, just having the thyroid antibodies present does seem to influence fertility and is associated with early miscarriage. If your cycle is consistently late, it would be good to screen you for PCOS, high prolactin and screen again for thyroid. I would do all of these before you ttc, as this will save you a lot of time and you can get things going now rather than later as sometimes these issues, particularly PCOS can take some time to work on. I hope this has helped to answer your questions, and thank you so much for asking!

Dr Fiona
Dr. Fiona McCulloch, BSc., ND : Naturopathic Doctor, Integrative Women's Health & Fertility
White Lotus Integrative Medicine
Greenfield Ave, Suite 201
North York, Ontario, M2N 3CBCanada
phone (416) 730-8218

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Period, Menstraution Cycle, Graves Disease, Amenorrhea