Low BBT Chart

Body Basal Temperature low progesterone miscarriage early pregnancy loss

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MichelleP

MichelleP
  • Cyclebase
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Life Coaching, knitting, crochet, scrapbooking, singing, music, walking, staying active, reading, health, nutrition, bellydancing
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Calgary

Posted 19 June 2012 - 10:39 AM

As of November 2011, my BBT chart went approx 0.4 degrees lower, both on the estrogen phase and progesterone phase. There is still an obvious dip indicating ovulation, as well as reasonable lengths in period. In March 2012 we did a fresh IVF cycle and I got pregnant, but at week 10, the same week I stopped taking the additional estrogen and progesterone pills, our baby died. From what I have read (extensively), low bbt charts would indicate low progesterone levels. I have also read that low progesterone might and have caused early pregnancy loss, which would explain why our baby died. Could you please give your advisement on this topic? We have 2 FET left that are high quality and I would really appreciate either reassurance or what I can do to not have this happen again. Thank you, Michelle

#2 Highest hopes

Highest hopes
  • Global 100+
  • 660 posts
  • Dx:Endometriosis
  • My Clinic:McGill, OriginElle, Aurora, & RUH

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:46 PM

MichelleP, I'm very sorry for your loss.

I have recently been told by my naturopath that my progesterone levels look low, even though when I had asked my RE about it she had said that "my hormones are fine".

I also have some hypothryroid symptoms which I've read can cause miscarriage.
I've read that low BBT can indicate hypothyroid issues:
http://www.facebook....152795284844913

I don't know the answers but I just wanted to say that this is a good question & I will eaglery await the response from Dr. Fiona as well.
Dx: Age & Endometriosis & Tubal

IUI & IVF & FET = BFN
Pinterest.com/aquablueglow

#3 MichelleP

MichelleP
  • Cyclebase
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Life Coaching, knitting, crochet, scrapbooking, singing, music, walking, staying active, reading, health, nutrition, bellydancing
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Calgary

Posted 21 June 2012 - 03:35 PM

I think Dr. Fiona answered this in a seperate article. The Naturopathic Doctor I saw today will be looking into my adrenals, complete thyroid screening, bbt and then if not satisfied a bbt doing spit to deteremine progesterone levels throughout my cycle. He believes that it may be my adrenals due to my history and that can affect thyroid then progesterone. I am on the diet for O blood types (my blood type) and hopefully that can increase my natural energy levels and may help bring my temperatures into a more normal range.

#4 Highest hopes

Highest hopes
  • Global 100+
  • 660 posts
  • Dx:Endometriosis
  • My Clinic:McGill, OriginElle, Aurora, & RUH

Posted 21 June 2012 - 07:36 PM

Great info Michelle!

I did a bunch of reading about these topics today & discovered I should get my adrenals checked. I'm disappointed that my naturopath (or any regular docs I've talked to) hasn't suggested that yet, but she did point out that my progesterone is low (even though my RE said my hormones were fine) & perhaps I have the same exact issue you are describing. Adrenal issues -> hypothyroid -> low progesterone. It seems like I've been trying to figure this out for years but hopefully I'm finally heading in the right direction. I'm going to get lab tests done next week.

I am also Type O blood & recently discovered that this can cause early fertility decline :(
http://www.myhealthn...sh-testing.html

I would be very interested in the diet you are following if you can send info.
Thanks!
Dx: Age & Endometriosis & Tubal

IUI & IVF & FET = BFN
Pinterest.com/aquablueglow

#5 DrFionaMcCulloch

DrFionaMcCulloch
  • Physician
  • 842 posts
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:White Lotus Naturopathic

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:02 PM

Hi Michelle,

I'm so sorry for your loss. Given that your whole BBT (both follicular and luteal) dropped it could be your thyroid. Your thyroid definitely will influence your progesterone levels. In a subsequent IVF it would help to continue the progesterone longer until the placenta fully takes over progesterone production. That being said, hypothyroidism can cause miscarriage on its own, so definitely make sure that your thyroid is fully suppported for at least 2 months before attempting again. With supplements and also medication if needed. Your naturopath is right....the adrenals can affect both the thyroid and also the progesterone levels directly. If you don't support the adrenals and just support the thyroid, you can still end up with lower than required levels of progesterone. So I'm glad you are getting this checked into and I'm sure with the right balance you will get there!

Wishing you the best for your next cycle,

Dr Fiona
Dr. Fiona McCulloch, BSc., ND : Naturopathic Doctor, Integrative Women's Health & Fertility
White Lotus Integrative Medicine
Greenfield Ave, Suite 201
North York, Ontario, M2N 3CBCanada
phone (416) 730-8218

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Body Basal Temperature, low progesterone, miscarriage, early pregnancy loss