6 replies to this topic

#1 Babydoll123

Babydoll123
  • 30 posts
  • Dx:PCOS
  • My Clinic:Create

Posted 17 June 2012 - 05:59 PM

Hi there,

I am new here and will really appreciate your input. I have been with repomed with very little success. I really don't want to waste my time and money as fertility treatment is emotional draining and financially exhaustive.

I have had 2 clomid cycle BFN and 1 clomid cycle with IUI BFN. Should i continue with IUI ($750) or change clinics and find out what is really wrong with me.

I find Dr Del Valle very unapproachable. His hardly around and my last IUI was so painful i almost fainted (was done by the nurses).

I really feel like switching but not sure how to ask my family doctor for another referral

I will really appreciate you feedback
Depressed :-(
Me 29, doctor says i have PCOS (without symptoms) but i suspect Endo
DH 32 fine
1 medicated cycle with timed intercourse BFN
4 IUI BFN
IVF #1 BFN
FET BFP super excited, went on Vacation in Edmonton Dec 26 2012, bleeding. ER passing out large clots. Beta falling :-(
Taking a break and asking for a Lap to be done

#2 leigh14

leigh14
  • Cyclebase
  • 1454 posts
  • Dx:Immunological
  • My Clinic:Markham

Posted 17 June 2012 - 06:25 PM

Hi,

I say go with your gut. I was with this clinic initially and didn't have a great experience there overall with my IVF. What I've learned from experience is that you have to find a clinic that is a good fit for you. I did have a girlfriend get pregnant with IUI at Repromed but the doctor had no hand in it since it was a nurse who did it. I don't know if this is common practice in other places but I think that the doctor should be a little more hands on given the fact that it's a specialized procedure and you're paying $$$$. Just my two cents.

Good luck with your decision. There is no harm in exploring your options. :)

Leigh
Me: 40
Dx: DH: Vasectomy; need IVF/ICSI ME: D.O.R. and many immunological issues. (Initially presented as "normal" but issues were only discovered after IVF attempt #2 and #3 after testing at new clinic)
IVF attempt #1 Nov.2009, Age 37: Long "Lupron" protocol
Dec.2009: Cycle cancelled due to oversuppression
IVF attempt #2, Age 38: April 2010: 3 eggs retrieved, 2 mature, 2 fertilized, ET of 2 embryos BFN
IVF atempt #3 at new clinic: November 2010, Age 38: 5 eggs retrieved, 4 mature, 4 fertilized, ET of 2 blastocysts BFP
Strong beta numbers but babies not measuring on track but one heartbeat is present. Followup u/s reveals no HB's :( Had D&C--so sad.
Moved to new clinic closer to home + more of a focus on testing for potential immunological factors:
Further testing reveals three mutations related to inherited thrombophilia (2 MTHFR mutations and PA1-1 mutation), positive ANA, elevated NK cells and cytokines and low levels of leukocyte antibodies (LADS), Recommended Immunological treatment: Humira, LIT, IVig and blood thinners if PG
IVF Protocol: Low stim for me/ TESE needed for DH; took Humira in late August and early September; taking DHEA plus Co-Enzyme Q10, vitamins for DH just for good measure! September--two trips to Mexico for LIT treatment, treatments 3 weeks apart
Initial re-testing through Alan Beer Centre after some of the immune treatments reveals only cytokines were lowered, NKs still high and LAD numbers still low. Another LIT in Mexico is recommended. We decide to begin cycle on doctor's recommendation of just doing IVIG.
IVF#4, Age 39 : November 2011: Worst AFC EVER--a whopping 4! Three follicles responded, two eggs were retrieved. Three day transfer of two Grade 1 8 cell embryos: "Fahita" & "Burrito" Stick, stick, stick little ones!
BFP! Beta of 569
Viability u/s at 6 w 2d shows TWO babies measuring on track with heartbeats of 121. Looks like babies might be sharing the same amniotic sac.
Second u/s at 7w 2 d shows ONE baby with hb of 150, measuring 7 w 3 days. No sign of twin. Vanishing twin syndrome?
Third u/s at 8 w 2d shows ONE baby with hb of 170, measuring 8 w 3 days. Looks like a little jellybean!
12 week u/s at 12 w 2 days and baby is measuring 12 w 5 days with a heart beat of 150. Baby mooned us and waved at us with one hand....looked like a "royal" wave to me!
13 week doctor's appointment, HB=155 on doppler
14 week u/s to check cervix, HB=148
16 week u/s to check cervix, HB=138, baby had hiccups!
20 week u/s--everything looks good! HB=130, looks like we're having a GIRL!
IPS results very good!
39 weeks: Our baby girl arrived!!! She is healthy and beautiful! We are so happy! :)

Lilypie Maternity tickers

#3 leigh14

leigh14
  • Cyclebase
  • 1454 posts
  • Dx:Immunological
  • My Clinic:Markham

Posted 17 June 2012 - 06:29 PM

Oh, and I just wanted to add...don't feel bad about asking your family doctor for another referral. That's what we did. We ended up there initially because my gynecologist referred us there. I didn't even think to research clinics. What I would recommend is to research some clinics and then if you decide you want to change, go to your family doctor and tell him/her specifically where you want to be referred to. With so much money at stake with fertility treatments, it's worth it to make sure that you end up in a place that you have confidence in. You may find that some fertility clinics that are popular and have good reputations have waiting lists. Quite often it's worth it. It certainly was in my case as I'm at a clinic that I'm very happy with now.

Leigh
  • gibasgirl likes this
Me: 40
Dx: DH: Vasectomy; need IVF/ICSI ME: D.O.R. and many immunological issues. (Initially presented as "normal" but issues were only discovered after IVF attempt #2 and #3 after testing at new clinic)
IVF attempt #1 Nov.2009, Age 37: Long "Lupron" protocol
Dec.2009: Cycle cancelled due to oversuppression
IVF attempt #2, Age 38: April 2010: 3 eggs retrieved, 2 mature, 2 fertilized, ET of 2 embryos BFN
IVF atempt #3 at new clinic: November 2010, Age 38: 5 eggs retrieved, 4 mature, 4 fertilized, ET of 2 blastocysts BFP
Strong beta numbers but babies not measuring on track but one heartbeat is present. Followup u/s reveals no HB's :( Had D&C--so sad.
Moved to new clinic closer to home + more of a focus on testing for potential immunological factors:
Further testing reveals three mutations related to inherited thrombophilia (2 MTHFR mutations and PA1-1 mutation), positive ANA, elevated NK cells and cytokines and low levels of leukocyte antibodies (LADS), Recommended Immunological treatment: Humira, LIT, IVig and blood thinners if PG
IVF Protocol: Low stim for me/ TESE needed for DH; took Humira in late August and early September; taking DHEA plus Co-Enzyme Q10, vitamins for DH just for good measure! September--two trips to Mexico for LIT treatment, treatments 3 weeks apart
Initial re-testing through Alan Beer Centre after some of the immune treatments reveals only cytokines were lowered, NKs still high and LAD numbers still low. Another LIT in Mexico is recommended. We decide to begin cycle on doctor's recommendation of just doing IVIG.
IVF#4, Age 39 : November 2011: Worst AFC EVER--a whopping 4! Three follicles responded, two eggs were retrieved. Three day transfer of two Grade 1 8 cell embryos: "Fahita" & "Burrito" Stick, stick, stick little ones!
BFP! Beta of 569
Viability u/s at 6 w 2d shows TWO babies measuring on track with heartbeats of 121. Looks like babies might be sharing the same amniotic sac.
Second u/s at 7w 2 d shows ONE baby with hb of 150, measuring 7 w 3 days. No sign of twin. Vanishing twin syndrome?
Third u/s at 8 w 2d shows ONE baby with hb of 170, measuring 8 w 3 days. Looks like a little jellybean!
12 week u/s at 12 w 2 days and baby is measuring 12 w 5 days with a heart beat of 150. Baby mooned us and waved at us with one hand....looked like a "royal" wave to me!
13 week doctor's appointment, HB=155 on doppler
14 week u/s to check cervix, HB=148
16 week u/s to check cervix, HB=138, baby had hiccups!
20 week u/s--everything looks good! HB=130, looks like we're having a GIRL!
IPS results very good!
39 weeks: Our baby girl arrived!!! She is healthy and beautiful! We are so happy! :)

Lilypie Maternity tickers

#4 muriel803

muriel803
  • Global 100+
  • 310 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 06:31 PM

Hi Babydoll -
I totally agree with Leigh14. This process is hard enough without not being totally comfortable (as much as is possible). I don't know how other clinics do it- but at my clinic my doctor (or another doctor there) always did the iui's. Please don't feel too badly about asking your doc for another referral - sometimes connections aren't made for whatever reason, and I would imagine they do get these kinds of requests pretty regularly. Also, with so much money at stake you really have to feel like your doctor will make decisions best for you, not just to make money.
Good luck!
  • leigh14 likes this

#5 Babydoll123

Babydoll123
  • 30 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 08:15 PM

Thanks ladies, i really appreciate your input. I will look at other clinic and will try them out. Just so depressed by the whole process. it seems like ivf is a cash cow business, and these doctors forget lots of emtions are involved. Repomed is also so expensive!!!
DH 32 fine
4 IUI BFN
IVF #1 BFN
FET BFP super excited, went on Vacation in Edmonton Dec 26 2012, bleeding. ER passing out large clots. Beta falling :-(

#6 Babydoll123

Babydoll123
  • 30 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 03:49 PM

I moved to Create and leaving Repomed was the best thing to happen to me really. The difference is so clear between Repomed and Create
  • gibasgirl likes this
DH 32 fine
4 IUI BFN
IVF #1 BFN

#7 Krissy80

Krissy80
  • 7 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Formerly ReproMed, now Hannam

Posted 11 September 2012 - 11:51 PM

I left ReproMed after 2 failed fresh IVF cycles and 4 failed frozen transfers and it was the best decision I made! I switched to Hannam Fertility and the experience was like night and day and I got pregnant on the first try when I switched. Go with your gut. If it feels wrong, then it probably is and you need to find a clinic that is a good fit and will treat you with respect. Your family doctor will gladly write you another referral. Just say you're not happy with the level of care at your current clinic.