28 replies to this topic

#1 KennyandFooty

KennyandFooty
  • Cyclebase
  • 1204 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:McGill Reproductive

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:31 PM

Hi there. So...I've just gotten the news that our 2nd IVF attempt resulted in a negative beta. The cycle itself went exponentially better than the 1st IVF...and we were able to freeze/vitrify THREE 5 day blasts.

It looks like we will attempt an FET in late July/early August...and I'm just wondering if anyone has suggestions on what I should do to prepare myself for this?

Did you do anything different from IVF prepping, or was it virtually the same thing:
- eat healthy
- avoid caffeine
- take X, Y, Z supplements
- take prenatal with folic acid

Anything else to focus specifically on the uterine lining?
Has anyone added L-Arginine with added benefit (and previous implantation failures)?

Never thought we'd ever need to do FET one day...but alas, here we are. That being said...my research really begins today, as I've not put much energy into learning about it before. Any advice/tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all in advance for your time, experiences and love.

Me: 33 DH: 31
TTC 4+ years
Asthmatic - Bricanyl & Symbicort daily
Hydrosalpinges --> Bilateral Tubal removal

IVF#1 - September 2011 - Short protocol - Cancelled/Ectopic pregnancy; Tubal removal (October)
IVF#2 - March/April 2012 - Modified Microdose Flare Protocol - BFN - 3 frozen blasts
FET#1 - July 2012 - Cancelled; zero survive thaw
IVF#3 - October/November 2012 - Modified Microdose Flare Protocol - BFN - 3 frozen blasts
Hysteroscopy and Biopsy February 2013 - All results normal

FET#2 - BFP - March/April 2013 - EDD December 25, 2013

2 frosties waiting

January 1 - Our beautiful baby boy arrived after an emergency induction.  Completely in love! <3

#2 KennyandFooty

KennyandFooty
  • Cyclebase
  • 1204 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 01:50 PM

*bump*

I am going to start Yoga and nightly meditation...so those will help me manage any stress I have better...

Any other thoughts out there!? I've tried doing some searches on the forums...but maybe someone can point in the right direction if an FET prep list or something already exists?!

TTC 4+ years

IVF#1 - September 2011 - Short protocol - Cancelled/Ectopic pregnancy; Tubal removal (October)
IVF#2 - March/April 2012 - Modified Microdose Flare Protocol - BFN - 3 frozen blasts
IVF#3 - October/November 2012 - Modified Microdose Flare Protocol - BFN - 3 frozen blasts

2 frosties waiting

January 1 - Our beautiful baby boy arrived after an emergency induction.  Completely in love! <3

#3 gibasgirl

gibasgirl
  • Site Admin
  • 13147 posts
  • Interests:I like many things, music (all kinds), tennis, photography, and languages to name a few. Ok, interior and industrial design, opera, and TV. Yes, TV, there are just so many darn good TV shows on the air. Ugh, it's hard to resist.
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:59 PM

Hello Kenny&Footy,

I found acupncture to be beneficial to me back when I was cycling and for my FETs. It can help with the lining and bloodflow.

All the best to you!

Zan

#4 Saffy

Saffy
  • 1000+
  • 1524 posts
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:VFC

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:16 PM

Ok, I know people will have their own views on this and I don't really care what others think. My last cycle I made a point of eating a lot of red meat like beef and buffalo. I got the big packs from costco of ground beef and stewing beef and cooked up some big very meaty meals in my crock pot. I know that my lining was the best it has ever been. It was 10 mm with the triple stripe.
For my first transfer I did Moksha yoga for a month right up to the day before the transfer. It gave me an opportunity to meditate and feel very limber and receptive to the embryos. I've done accupunture and I love it but it hasn't seemed to help me any.
The first cycle I had a chemical and the second a BFN even though everything looked perfect. So what I've done seems to have helped but not produced the desired outcome. I hope someone will chime in with some other helpful things.

see about me page.

#5 ---

---
  • 1000+
  • 1668 posts
  • Interests:recovering from pretentious nonsense

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:37 PM

For Me:
No caffine (No choc/pop etc.)
No HB over 140. walking only.
baby aspirin (to help with blood flow) -*Not Regular Aspirin,just low dose 81mg only.
Healthy eating
8 hours sleep each night (very imp).
Try and Reduce stress.
Vit D supplement/vitE/mulit-vit/pre-natal
-This info compiled from Zita West/and Cornell and Colorado Clinics.
-Lots of water.

Hope this helps. Good Luck this time KennyandFootie.
Stacy

#6 KennyandFooty

KennyandFooty
  • Cyclebase
  • 1204 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:40 PM

Thanks to all of you for your feedback. I am doing acupuncture and will start the Yoga and meditations. I've heard a lot about eating more protein, particularly red meats (which is something I do NOT generally eat much of - not for any particular reason). I've also read about things like Red Raspberry Leaf tea improving the lining. I think there are some forms of massage that help increase blood flow to the uterus, so I think I'll read up on that as well.

TMI: During my acupuncture sessions in the past, I was told I had suffered from "cold uterus" which is why I experience blood stasis or skant bleeding during menses (more brown than red blood, clots, light flow). So, I also do foot soaks every couple of days (when I remember) and drink a lot of warm liquids, particularly in the evenings.

Any other success stories would be great, but all advice is welcome!

TTC 4+ years

2 frosties waiting

#7 manders

manders
  • Cyclebase
  • 1461 posts
  • My Clinic:NewLife Fertility

Posted 08 April 2012 - 08:36 AM

I have also heard that pomagranate juice is known to improve chanes for men and women dealing with fertility issues. It increases blood flow. It is known as the "fertility fruit".

My doctor told me that acupuncture has not been proven to help, but it can't hurt (except your cheque book).

Be careful with what types of red meat you eat, because red meat such as ground beef is not made up of the healthiest parts of the animal. SStay away from liver. Eat lots of fruits and vegetables. Don't eat raw fish, cold cuts, hot dogs. When you do eat meat make sure it is cooked "well done".

Good luck.
Oct 2011- first visit to fertility clinic- Feb 2012- IVF #1- 21 eggs retrieved, 16 mature, 11 fertilized, 5 made it to freeze on day 5- OHSS was brutal! March 2012 FET transferred 1- BFP- ended in mc- May 2012 transferred 2 BFP- pregnant with twins. Mc one and gave birth to DS Feb 2013- Oct 2013 back to clinic- Jan 2014 transferred 2- BFP- ended in mc- April 2014 IUI- BFN- July 2014 IVF#2- retrieved 42 eggs, 34 mature, used ICSI this time and 23 fertilized. 17 made it to freezing day 5/6. OHSS kicked in...(not as bad as the first time thank goodness, but VERY uncomfortable). PGS results came back with only 5 normal embryos. 3 2AA's, 1 2AB and 1 3AB. Sept 5- transferred 2, 2AA's. 7dp5dt blood test negative:( Nov 8- transfered 1 2AA and 1 2AB. POAS 6dp5dt BFP!! Beta 7dp5dt 76.14. Beta 8dp5dt 125. Beta 10dp5dt 355! 12dp5dt- 769! 14dp5dt 1085:( spotting, bleeding. 16dp5dt cervix closed, early ultrasound shows 1 gestational sac with yolk sac :) Beta 1853 cause of bleeding unknown. Dr says bedrest 'ish' for 1 week. 18dp5dt beta 3076. 22dp5dt bleeding and cramping again. All still looks ok on u/s. Beta 6000 ish, but Dr thinks it's because of the bleed and it should catch up. 25dp5dt another bleed beta 10 000. 6w4d we saw a heartbeat, 110bpm, beta 13880. 7w2d baby measuring only 6w4d hb 121. 8w2d baby measuring 7w4d hb 150. 10w3d baby measuring 9w4d hb 166.
Posted Image

#8 KennyandFooty

KennyandFooty
  • Cyclebase
  • 1204 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:52 PM

Just wanted to bump this again in case there are any other FET success stories out there that might shed some new light on preparations before transfer!!

TTC 4+ years

2 frosties waiting

#9 jlyblair

jlyblair
  • Cyclebase
  • 170 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Regional Fertility Clinic

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:13 PM

hey KennyandFooty. We did a fresh IVF cycle in August/September 2011 and had a BFN. In January/February 2012 we did our first FET... and we had a BFP. I am 11 weeks pregnant right now. Our fresh transfer was a beautiful blastocyst top grade... and it didn't work. Our frozen transfer was two 2 cell embryos and it worked! The frozen transfer cycle is far less stressful generally. Not as many appointments, ultrasounds, bloodtests, etc. You're kind of left on your own with your medications for a while (at least that's how it was at my clinic). So, I just tried to eat healthy and drink lots of water. I didn't eat anything different, although I did eat a lot of pineapple around transfer time. And I really tried to eat the pineapple core in the centre of the fruit. But, I wasn't really doing that during the cycle, just post transfer. I exercised moderately while cycling. After my transfer this time I took 3 days of pretty much rest and relaxation. (I didn't do this after my fresh cycle and really regretted it). I also tried to keep exercising during the 2WW to light walking at the most.
I think it sounds like you've already got a lot of great ideas for what to do to prepare for your cycle. I think the big thing is just try to stay healthy. As I mentioned before the FET seemed to me to be a lot less stressful, so I would say try not to stress out about what to do to prepare... just enjoy the less intensive cycle! All the best!
  • gibasgirl and Lucretia like this

#10 KennyandFooty

KennyandFooty
  • Cyclebase
  • 1204 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:28 PM

As I mentioned before the FET seemed to me to be a lot less stressful, so I would say try not to stress out about what to do to prepare... just enjoy the less intensive cycle! All the best!

Thank you! I think you're right...I'm as prepared as I will ever be! I'm just going to focus on all the positive improvements I'm making and ... look forward to getting one of my freezer babies back!!!

FX we get a similar outcome to yours! :)

TTC 4+ years

2 frosties waiting

#11 Yvonne

Yvonne
  • Cyclebase
  • 1523 posts
  • Dx:PCOS
  • My Clinic:VFC

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:47 PM

I've done alot of FETs....not sure that I have big advice to give but I may be doing another FET around the same time as you. For my last FET I did more exercise and ate healthy leading up to the FET, I lost some weight too. I was just trying to be generally as healthy as possible and now I'm trying to get back into that.
  • gibasgirl likes this
Started ttc in fall 04
m/c@7 weeks in April 2005
2006 found out about pcos and male factor
Decided to adopt.....approved and waiting until agency closed in Nov. 2009
:(IVF#1 July/August 2010 No transfer due to OHSS 10 frozen embryos :)
FET#1 Oct 14 2010 beta #1 was 7, beta#2 was negative :(
FET#2-Jan. 27 2011-BFNFET #3-July 1, 2011.-BFP! looked okay for a while then ended "pregnancy of unknown location"Four embryos left.
FET#4-Feb. 17, 2012 two embryos transferred-grow embies grow! beta #1 44, #2 51 #3 207, #4 375...Found out it was ectopic lost the embies and both tubes-
I'm single now FET #5 in November 2014 BFN
FET #6 in February 2015.

#12 KennyandFooty

KennyandFooty
  • Cyclebase
  • 1204 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:58 PM

I've done alot of FETs....not sure that I have big advice to give but I may be doing another FET around the same time as you. For my last FET I did more exercise and ate healthy leading up to the FET, I lost some weight too. I was just trying to be generally as healthy as possible and now I'm trying to get back into that.

Well Yvonne...if we DO have our FETs at the same time...I look forward to being a support to you!!! :) All the best to you!
  • Yvonne likes this

TTC 4+ years

2 frosties waiting

#13 manders

manders
  • Cyclebase
  • 1461 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 01:35 PM

KennyandFooty, I was reading your Signature and noticed you are not doing your next FET until July/Augusy- just out of curiosity, why are you waiting so long?
Oct 2011- first visit to fertility clinic- Feb 2012- IVF #1- 21 eggs retrieved, 16 mature, 11 fertilized, 5 made it to freeze on day 5- OHSS was brutal! March 2012 FET transferred 1- BFP- ended in mc- May 2012 transferred 2 BFP- pregnant with twins. Mc one and gave birth to DS Feb 2013- Oct 2013 back to clinic- Jan 2014 transferred 2- BFP- ended in mc- April 2014 IUI- BFN- July 2014 IVF#2- retrieved 42 eggs, 34 mature, used ICSI this time and 23 fertilized. 17 made it to freezing day 5/6. OHSS kicked in...(not as bad as the first time thank goodness, but VERY uncomfortable). PGS results came back with only 5 normal embryos. 3 2AA's, 1 2AB and 1 3AB. Sept 5- transferred 2, 2AA's. 7dp5dt blood test negative:( Nov 8- transfered 1 2AA and 1 2AB. POAS 6dp5dt BFP!! Beta 7dp5dt 76.14. Beta 8dp5dt 125. Beta 10dp5dt 355! 12dp5dt- 769! 14dp5dt 1085:( spotting, bleeding. 16dp5dt cervix closed, early ultrasound shows 1 gestational sac with yolk sac :) Beta 1853 cause of bleeding unknown. Dr says bedrest 'ish' for 1 week. 18dp5dt beta 3076. 22dp5dt bleeding and cramping again. All still looks ok on u/s. Beta 6000 ish, but Dr thinks it's because of the bleed and it should catch up. 25dp5dt another bleed beta 10 000. 6w4d we saw a heartbeat, 110bpm, beta 13880. 7w2d baby measuring only 6w4d hb 121. 8w2d baby measuring 7w4d hb 150. 10w3d baby measuring 9w4d hb 166.
Posted Image

#14 KennyandFooty

KennyandFooty
  • Cyclebase
  • 1204 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:50 PM

KennyandFooty, I was reading your Signature and noticed you are not doing your next FET until July/Augusy- just out of curiosity, why are you waiting so long?

I wish I could say it was cause I'm super patient and CHOSE the date! haha

It's because I live in Montreal (IVF is funded here up to 3 fresh cycles) and am a patient at McGill where the wait lists are 4-5 months "once you're in the system". :(
Patience is seriously NOT my strong point when it comes to treatments...so it's basically torture.

TTC 4+ years

2 frosties waiting

#15 tjluvbug

tjluvbug
  • Cyclebase
  • 1574 posts
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:Olive

Posted 14 April 2012 - 11:25 PM

kennyandfooty - I also did TCM herbs with my acupuncture to help with my cold uterus and blood stasis. It did wonders for my cycle. Don't know whether it has helped me get pregnant yet but I felt great doing it.

<p>Me 38 (28 when we did first IVF) DH 52 3 IVF's, 2 FET's, & 2 IUI's.  Boy/Girl twins born March 12th, 2015 at 33w6d. Our family is complete

#16 manders

manders
  • Cyclebase
  • 1461 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:24 AM

KennyandFooty,

Now i get why you are waiting so long. Would you travel elsewhere to get it done earlier?
So when you said it is funded, is it completely free? That is great if it is.

Good luck and keep me posted.

Hugs
Posted Image

#17 KennyandFooty

KennyandFooty
  • Cyclebase
  • 1204 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:35 AM

kennyandfooty - I also did TCM herbs with my acupuncture to help with my cold uterus and blood stasis. It did wonders for my cycle. Don't know whether it has helped me get pregnant yet but I felt great doing it.

Thanks for this. I did use some TCM herbs before I pursued IVF with my first acupuncturist. It was a liquid drop that I took three times a day a few drops under the tongue. It tasted awful. It worked really well to increase my temperature (which was one of the steps to increasing circulation to the uterus and keeping it "warm")...but it never presented any other "relief" elsewhere. I will speak with my current TCM practitioner about what types of things we could try for the FET. Thank you!

KennyandFooty,

Now i get why you are waiting so long. Would you travel elsewhere to get it done earlier?

Hugs

In the public system, moreorless, it is 100% funded up to three fresh cycles (and includes all the FETs - if you have frozen embryos). There are more costs payable by the patient when going through a private clinic in Montreal, but still...compared to non-funded provinces, the costs really are minimal. I feel incredibly fortunate to be able to have this kind of government support...and once our three cycles are "done"(either at our current clinic - or if we go private inter-provincially)...if we have still had not success...we have considered going out of province to pursue treatment. HOPEFULLY we are successful before that happens though!

TTC 4+ years

2 frosties waiting

#18 jillyfish

jillyfish
  • Cyclebase
  • 247 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Genesis

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:00 AM

The Fertil Pro-Q has the CoQ10, as well as a nice large dose of the L-arginine - recommended to us by the RE - dosage suggested was 600mg (6 capsules) daily - I figure, it's always worth a shot!
Me:33 DH:43
TTC: 2+ years
Dx: Male Factor - 1-2% normal morphology, low volume, poor motility

IVF #1 April 2012 - details in "about me" section of profile

April 24 - ET of two 7B embabies... clinic is giving a 60-70% chance, with a 25% chance of twins
May 4 - HPT BFP! (10dp3dt)
May 8 - Beta 277
May 15 - Beta 4185
May 16 - Beta 3700 and bleeding
May 17 - u/s looks like 2 originally implanted, lost one
May 22 - Beta 8244
May 24 - u/s we have a heartbeat! Wee bean is measuring on track at 6wks + 4 days and 118bpm!
June 6 - u/s weebean is measuring 1.7cm and hb of 172bpm

#19 manders

manders
  • Cyclebase
  • 1461 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:01 PM

Thanks for this. I did use some TCM herbs before I pursued IVF with my first acupuncturist. It was a liquid drop that I took three times a day a few drops under the tongue. It tasted awful. It worked really well to increase my temperature (which was one of the steps to increasing circulation to the uterus and keeping it "warm")...but it never presented any other "relief" elsewhere. I will speak with my current TCM practitioner about what types of things we could try for the FET. Thank you!

KennyandFooty,

Hugs

In the public system, moreorless, it is 100% funded up to three fresh cycles (and includes all the FETs - if you have frozen embryos). There are more costs payable by the patient when going through a private clinic in Montreal, but still...compared to non-funded provinces, the costs really are minimal. I feel incredibly fortunate to be able to have this kind of government support...and once our three cycles are "done"(either at our current clinic - or if we go private inter-provincially)...if we have still had not success...we have considered going out of province to pursue treatment. HOPEFULLY we are successful before that happens though!

I understand now why you are waiting so long. it takes a lot out of you, but i guess without the stress of the expense, that is wonderful. Each rough, without meds cost us $7100, then the meds (which for me are covered through insurance) were another aprox. 4000. It is crazy how expensive it all is.
Posted Image

#20 fingerscrossed11

fingerscrossed11
  • 90 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:29 AM

Hi,
Sounds like some really great advice already. I don't have much advice (as my 2 resulted in missed miscarriage and ectopic) but just wanted to say that I am aiming for my next fet in July/Aug also....if everything goes as planned. All I am doing is trying to be as healthy as possible. Once I get the all clear from my doc I am going to start exercising again.
Good luck!

#21 KennyandFooty

KennyandFooty
  • Cyclebase
  • 1204 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 03:46 PM

I just wanted to wish you all the success this summer with your FET "fc". After 2 experiences like yours...some great news seems in order! :) Would love to hear if you end up doing anything else to prepare or what your protocol will be! :)

TTC 4+ years

2 frosties waiting

#22 W8TING4SADIE

W8TING4SADIE
  • 5 posts
  • My Clinic:Hannam

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:21 PM

Hello all, I pray that everything that I have done will result in a successful test next Monday...I had my first FET last Monday and am now in the horrible 2ww. I figure I have done everything that I can possibly do so I thought that I would share:

1. acupuncture 2 - 3 times per week
2. Mayan abdominal massage 2 times per week by RMT and nightly taught self administered massage
3. nightly warm water footsoaks and during this tme I also read a positive affirmation to myself
4. hot pack on my stomach after nightly Mayan abdominal massage
5. No caffeine, alcohol, sugars (other than in fruits), soy, only full fat milk products and limited intake, tons of pulses and beans and leafy green vegetables (I bake kale and it tastes like potato chips ; ) ) (all of this for 3 months)
6. Uterine biopsy my cycle prior to the FET
7. Nightly guided meditation with download by Circle and Bloom (it makes me fall asleep so I am not sure how good my visualization actually is)
8. Homemade muesli with walnuts, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, etc.
9. Daily goji berry tea (2 tbsps of organic goji berries steeped in boiling water - eat the goji berries as well)
10. No high impact cardio - walking the dogs 3 x per day only.
11. Lots of water.
12. NO RAW/COLD foods or water. Warm water only. Cooked food only.
13. Supplements including PregVit, Vitamin e, Vitamind b12, L-arginine, CoEQ10, baby asparin, vitamine c.
14. Lots of fresh berries - blueberries, raspberries, blackberries.
15. I also went to see a quantum integration-ist who has helped me previously.

And a sh!t load of prayers.
Alas, I can't say if any of it works, but I will let you know next Monday...if anything, it can't hurt.
Best wishes. I hope everyone of us are able to fulfill our heart's desire soon.
t : )

#23 W8TING4SADIE

W8TING4SADIE
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:26 PM

oops - one important thing to mention about the above...NO HOT PACKS or MAYAN ABDOMINAL MASSAGE post transfer.

#24 KennyandFooty

KennyandFooty
  • Cyclebase
  • 1204 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:23 PM

WOW! I feel like such a slacker now! LOL

The only supplement I am taking currently is my PregVit and I'm taking 100mg of Ubiquinol daily (just until I run out).
I plan on resuming acupuncture in May for the few months leading up to FET...but it's so expensive and I'm tapped out of insurance coverage...so not sure how often I will go.
The mayan massage is something I've often wondered about...but was never really sure how often or until when (right up until transfer?) to perform it...

Thank you for the information! I wish you much success and would LOVE to hear about your test results on Monday!!!

FX you get that BFP as a result of your discipline and hard work!

TTC 4+ years

2 frosties waiting

#25 W8TING4SADIE

W8TING4SADIE
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:30 PM

Hey there! I just saw this post now re: your question about Mayan abdominal massage. I went twice a week but the beauty of it is that you can go once and be taught the self-massage and then do it every night. I tried to find a list of pratitioners in Montreal but couldn't find any but I'm sure if you do a little digging or call a ND, they might be able to point you in the right direction. I figure it doesn't hurt with trying to get the blood flowing to the uterus before a transfer. You can do it up until a transfer for a frozen cycle. If it is a fresh cycle you need to stop once you start stims. : )

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: FET, IVF, Uterine lining