• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ellyn

ellyn
  • Global 100+
  • 248 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 05 February 2012 - 11:44 AM

I have an appt this Wed., Feb. 8 for an initial consultation. I'm kinda freaked out. But I've reading a lot on this site and others and feel much more informed. I'm not sure what to expect for the consult. I'm so afraid the Dr. will just flat out tell me, 'You're too old, forget it!" I'm also single and dont' feel like singletons are welcome at these clinics; I don't see much on their websites about single women, and forms, etc. are directed at married couples. (It just irks me and i feel like I'll be treated differently. But I'll get over it. )

I called several clinics in Montreal and found 2, including MFC that will take someone my age who wants to use her own eggs. The others said anyone over 42 has to use donor eggs (McGill, Procrea, and OVO). MFC said 43 and I'll be 44 in September, so no time to waste.

The Montreal Reproductive Center said there is no age limit, they take into consideration all factors, but the girl said the Dr. will likely recommend anyone over 42 use donor eggs. I do not want donor eggs, esp since I'll already be using donor sperm. I know there is an increased chance, etc. But I'm firm on this. I think.

The MRC sent forms via email right away to get preliminary blood work going. I like that they don't waste time. The first test would be for progesterone on day 21, which is this Thursday (ish). Then other tests on day 2-5, the AMH any day of my cycle, and a bunch of other things in the clinic.

I like that MRC is already having me move forward, and I can get started right away. I'm going to see what the MFC says Wed. If I do the blood tests with the req form MRC sent me, results will go back to them. But then I might need to do it again for MFC, if I go with them. And I don't want to wait another cycle and waste time.

I know people switch clinics for various reasons. But any advice on how to proceed with these two clinics and navigating around lab work, etc. I hear great things about both of them.

Thanks.

Me: 43 and single. No known fertility issues, pregnant once, no births. Donor sperm
Montreal
1 dog
1 cat
Feb. 2012 - Just starting to think seriously about this whole thing (a little late, I know)
Feb. 8 - First consultation with Montreal Fertility Center (YIKES! and YAY!) - started Folic Acid
Feb. 17 - Started weekly acupuncture and Chinese Herbs, CoQ10, Royal Jelly, Fish Oil, MultiV.
Feb. 24 - Initial diagnostics: 7 follicles
March 27 - Started IVF cycle #1. Baseline US only 3 follies. Gonal F, Luveris, Estrace.
Apr. 3 - 7 follies
Apr. 5 - Started Ogalutron
Apr. 6 - 9 follies bt 8-11mm; Lining 10.6
Apr. 9- 12 follies bt 11-21mm, Trigger shot
Apr. 11 - ER - 13 eggs. 10 mature, 10 fertilized, 9 divided
April 14 - 3 day transfer of 3 embryos (2 Grade 1; 1 Grade 2). None made it to blast.
- started progesterone (Crinone) suppositories (am) and Estrace (2x/day)
April 26 - Beta - positive - 179 15dp3dt
July 17 - 16 weeks! So far all is good. NT scan was good 1:780, 1.7mm. Had amnio yesterday.
EDD - Dec. 31, 2012 !!!

Nov. 28 - boy came 5 wks early after emergency C-section, but all ok!

#2 Melissa25

Melissa25
  • Global 100+
  • 489 posts
  • Dx:PCOS
  • My Clinic:Montreal fertility centre

Posted 05 February 2012 - 12:46 PM

The good news about MFC is that there is no wait list and you will be able to start right away (which is good if you are going to reach the "age limit" soon) They will do the blood tests in the clinic (since it is private there is a fee) or will give you the requisitions to do it externally. If you do it in the clinic obviously they will get the results right away. The two doctors at MFC are a married couple and very nice and non-judgemental (they would not be judging your age or being single). While cycling there I saw a couple same-sex couples, so they cater to many different types of people. I cant comment on the other clinic since I have only cycled at MFC.
Me: 25 years old, PCOS
Hubby: 30, no problems

IUI 1: August with Femara, HCG shot and metformin. No luck

IUI 2: September with Femara, HCG and metformin. No luck again

Cycle 3: Femara, HCG, timed intercourse due to Thanksgiving. Nothing

IUI 3: November with Femara, HCG, metformin. Still no luck

December 2010: Clinic closed over Christmas

January 2011: Sitting out this one due to a cyst

February 2011: Ultrasound still shows a cyst, another cycle out :(

IVF 1: beginning medication mid March for our first IVF
Egg retreival April 10. Only 5 eggs retrieved and only 2 mature! Both fertilized but neither divided :( No ET.

IVF 2:
Egg retrieval August 2. 18 eggs retrieved, but only 8 mature with 6 fertilized.
Embryo transfer August 5. Woohoo! One 8-cell Grade 1 embie put in. *fingers crossed*
BFN!

IVF 3:
Egg retrieval: October 13th. 18 eggs retrieved, 13 mature, 12 fertilized.
Embryo transfer: October 18th. One "beautiful" blast put back in.
BFP!!!!!
Beta 1: 10dp5dt......119
Beta 2: 13dp5dt......275 (clinic concerned that it did not double in exactly 48 hours, so third beta scheduled)
Beta 3: 15dp5dt......758 Thank you God! Still in the game!
Ultrasound #1: Nov. 11, 2011 (6w1d) Saw heart flickers.
Ultrasound #2: Nov. 18, 2011 (7w1d) Baby measures 7 weeks (9.7mm) HB 126. Cervix only measuring 3.4cm?
Ultrasound #3: Nov. 29, 2011 (8w5d) Baby measures 8w4days (19.9mm) HB 185. Cervix normal!
OB appointment: Dec 19, 2011:
NT Scan: Dec 22, 2011:

Lilypie Maternity tickers

#3 GratefulMommy

GratefulMommy
  • Global 100+
  • 242 posts
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:MFC

Posted 05 February 2012 - 01:11 PM

I consulted with both MRC and MFC when I first stared this journey. Started with McGill then went to MRC and had a horrible experience. Then went to MFC and I have been there since. In my opinion it's the best clinic around.i really find that the patient care is very personal. I have consulted with both dr. Ouilal and Dr. Mahutte. They are both great but I prefer dr. Mahutte, but then again my case is pretty complicated.

If you want, you can fill out the patient registration forms that can be downloaded from their website. Or, you can call the secretary and she can email you the forms. If not, you can fill them out at the appointment while waiting to see the dr. They are the same forms as McGill and MRC. I think that every clinic uses the same standard form.
Good luck!
Where do I start?

I have an irregularly shaped uterus, I have had a uterine septum removed, I have an endocervical folds that are most probably causing persistent fluid in my uterus, I had chronic endometritis for over a year, a luteal phase defect, I had two dermoid cysts (benign tumours the size of oranges) on my ovaries removed, I am MTHFR heterozygous, and have been told that I may have an "egg quality" issue.You name it, I've got it :(

Miracle DS born December 2008

December 2009: TTC#2

June 2010: Started at McGill. Transferred to Montreal Reproductive Center- had a horrible experience Switched to Montreal Fertility Center- So happy there!

IVF #1-
short protocolER: April 21/11- 8 eggs, 7 mature 5 embryosOn day 3: 4x4 cell grade 2 and 1x2 cell grade 15 day transfer of 1 blast on April 26/11 (two surprise blast frosties)
Beta on May 6/11. BFN :(

June 2011: On the waiting list for adoption from South Korea

July 2011:Persistent chronic endometritis (endometrial inflammation from a complication post c-section) finally cured!

FET #1:
September 8th 2011- transfer of 2 blasts
Beta on September 19/11 BFN :(

IVF #2-
short protocol againER: Oct. 5/11- 13 eggs collected, 11 mature and fertilized2DPER- : 11 embryos were grades 2&3 and 2,3,4 and 5 cells
Oct. 10/11 5 day transfer of 1 blast.
Two blast frosties
Beta on October 20/11 BFN :(

Consultation @OVO- October 2011.
Re-consulted @McGill. Staying with MFC for now.

Operative hysteroscopy with Dr. M on February 23, 2012 to hopefully remove and endocervical cyst or polyp. --- no cyst or polyp, but endocervical folds were found that are most probably damage from a cerclage from my previous pregnancy. The folds cannot be removed but should not effect implantation.

Phone consult booked with Dr. Librach, a reproductive immunologist, to explore possible immune issues. (Feb. 16, 2012) rescheduled for February 28th, 2012. Dr. Librach said that I most probably have immune issue based on my history and symptoms. With next transfer I will be:-Having an intralipid infusion,-using steroids-Using baby aspirin-Praying that it works!And traveling back and forth from Toronto for treatments along with cycling at MFC.

FET #2
Started Estrace April 9, 2012
Estimated transfer date: April 26, 2012
CYCLE CANCELLED- lining didn't look right even though it grew but only after 16 days

FET #3 (actually FET #2 Take 2)Started Estrace May 9th, 2012- lining not cooperating again :(Cycle cancelled again.

This was our last try before going down a new path...I'm done. My body and soul can't take this anymore.

May 2012: Looking into surrogacy.
June 2012: Now looking for a surrogate
Sept 2012: We may have found the most wonderful surrogate! Keep your fingers crossed after so much heartache (after contacting over 250 surrogates and getting close with about 4 before all contact stopped?)

May 2012: It looks like it is going to be at least 4 more years. Adoption from South Korea has slowed down.

September 2012: South Korea waiting list closed because there are no proposed children. Hopefully things will pick up.

On the waiting list for adoption from Kazakhstan ( looking at a probable 2 year wait.)

October 2012: Called to sign a contract with Alliance Des Familles du Quebec. In Shock! Might be adopting from Kazakstan earlier than anticipated!

November 2012: Waiting for my surrogate to have her sonohystogram.Signed contract with Alliance Des Familles du Quebec and opened file with SAI.

Starting home study in January 2013.So, right now, it seems like its always all or nothing! Pursuing surrogacy (in the screening stage/pre-contract) and international adoption from Kazakhstan. I'm praying that we will choose the right path. I'm so conflicted and don't know what to do.

Adoption process on pause.

Surrogacy journey: Amazing surrogate passed psych and cleared medically. We will be meeting with dr. M to make plan.

May 2013: Getting ready for FET in a May. I high quality blast to my surrogate. BFN

Took the summer 2013 off.

November 2013: Ovarian stimulation -7 follicles. Only 1 egg :( Possible ET to GS Friday November 29, 2013. NOPE. EGG was abnormal.

April 4, 2014: Last cycle with incredible surrogate ended with a BFN

April 28, 2014: Submitted file for home study. Collecting documents to complete my file.

August 2014: Still waiting for home study...

Starting home study soon! Stay tuned...

#4 PaleSpring

PaleSpring
  • Global 100+
  • 949 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:McGill

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:30 PM

They will do the blood tests in the clinic (since it is private there is a fee) or will give you the requisitions to do it externally.

Hi. Because of the new coverage from QC gov, the actual treatments are covered same as in public hospitals like McGill right. So is it just the tests you are paying for...blood tests, HSG, ultrasounds etc...before you get started? Is it just the bloodtests that you can get done externally, or even the other tests can be done at a public hospital once you have their referal form?

And then the bloodtests, ultrasounds during treatment cycles are covered?

Thanks

Me: 32, DH: 34

Unexplained Infertility

Nov 2010: IUI#1 -BFN

Jan.& Feb '11: IUI#2,3 -BFN

Mar: Polyp in uterus

Apr: Hysteroscopy & Polypectomy.Pathology normal

May-July: IUI #4,5,6 -BFN

Aug-Jan'12: Trying naturally, with acupuncture, fertility yoga, herbal supplements

IVM#1: Feb 2012

ER: Feb.7: 9 eggs retrieved, 6 mature(d), 2 fertilized

ET: Feb.10: 4-cell day2 embryo and 5-cell day3 embryo

BFN

IVF#1: April 2012

ER: April 4th: 14 eggs retrieved, 7 mature, 5 fertilized

ET: Apr9. day5 transfer of 1 blast, 2 more frozen

BFN

FET #1: ET Sept 7th 2012

Transferred one d5 blast

Beta Sept 18 --BFP!!!!!!!!!!! Thank You God!!!! aH

Viability Scan: Oct 2nd. Heartbeat viewed, everything normal!

Anatomy Scan: Jan 14th. Its a boy!!

DD: May 25th, 2013
May 17th, 2013. Emergency C-section. Baby is here!! aH What did my arms do before they held him, what did my heart do with its love!! Thank You God!!! aH

Round 2: Project Sibling!

IVF#1 November 2014

ER: 21 eggs retrieved, 19 mature. 9 fertilized. 3 frozen

Transfer delayed because of OHSS

FET#1: February 2015. 1 blast transferred = BFN

FET#2: May 2015. 1 blast transferred =  BFN

FET#3: Sept..Transfer cancelled, blast didnt survive thawing

IVF#2 January 2016

ER: 19 eggs retrieved, 17 mature, 11 fertilized

6 ice babies: 4 day5 blasts and 2 day6 blasts

Transfer delayed because of OHSS

FET#1: April 2016 = BFN

May-July: Lupron & Letrozole

FET#2: Aug 2016 = BFP!!!!!!! Thank You God aH aH

"There are two ways to live, one is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is"- Albert Einstein

#5 Melissa25

Melissa25
  • Global 100+
  • 489 posts
  • Dx:PCOS
  • My Clinic:Montreal fertility centre

Posted 07 February 2012 - 07:40 AM

You have to pay for blood tests on site that would determine "what iswrong" For example, if you wanted to do blood tests for PCOS, you haveo pay for that. But, if you went to have that blood test done at a hospital or public clinic, you would not have to pay. The blood test they do to measure your estradiol level right before egg retrieval is covered. However, the HCG test two weeks after transfer is not covered, you haveto pay for that. Ultrasounds are covered during treatment, then if you become pregnant the first ultrasound to confirm viability is covered but if you want other ones done it is 100 dollars.
Me: 25 years old, PCOS
Hubby: 30, no problems

IUI 1: August with Femara, HCG shot and metformin. No luck

IUI 2: September with Femara, HCG and metformin. No luck again

Cycle 3: Femara, HCG, timed intercourse due to Thanksgiving. Nothing

IUI 3: November with Femara, HCG, metformin. Still no luck

December 2010: Clinic closed over Christmas

January 2011: Sitting out this one due to a cyst

February 2011: Ultrasound still shows a cyst, another cycle out :(

IVF 1: beginning medication mid March for our first IVF
Egg retreival April 10. Only 5 eggs retrieved and only 2 mature! Both fertilized but neither divided :( No ET.

IVF 2:
Egg retrieval August 2. 18 eggs retrieved, but only 8 mature with 6 fertilized.
Embryo transfer August 5. Woohoo! One 8-cell Grade 1 embie put in. *fingers crossed*
BFN!

IVF 3:
Egg retrieval: October 13th. 18 eggs retrieved, 13 mature, 12 fertilized.
Embryo transfer: October 18th. One "beautiful" blast put back in.
BFP!!!!!
Beta 1: 10dp5dt......119
Beta 2: 13dp5dt......275 (clinic concerned that it did not double in exactly 48 hours, so third beta scheduled)
Beta 3: 15dp5dt......758 Thank you God! Still in the game!
Ultrasound #1: Nov. 11, 2011 (6w1d) Saw heart flickers.
Ultrasound #2: Nov. 18, 2011 (7w1d) Baby measures 7 weeks (9.7mm) HB 126. Cervix only measuring 3.4cm?
Ultrasound #3: Nov. 29, 2011 (8w5d) Baby measures 8w4days (19.9mm) HB 185. Cervix normal!
OB appointment: Dec 19, 2011:
NT Scan: Dec 22, 2011:

Lilypie Maternity tickers