#1 Heartbeat

Heartbeat

Xxx

• Global 100+
  • 101 posts
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:Ottawa Fertility Clinic/ ONE Fertility

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:51 PM

Hi everyone. Just turned 40 (see signature). Doing IUI and hopefully move to IVF. Anyone with high FSH and/or low AMH? Any advice on the RE's in Ottawa? Mine is just not interested and feel lost... Whomever you are.... Please share your stories! Thank you
:-)
Me 40 (just turned) DH 42
DD 2 yrs (Love of my LIfe)
Oct 2011-IUI #1: 1 folli- canceled :-(
Nov 2011-IUI #2: 2 folli, HCG trigger, transfer, prog tablets = BFN

Dec 2011- break, weird cycle late period, BFP??

Jan 2012- went 4 b/w on Day 1, dx: high FSH 20.5 :-( heartbroken
AF came 2 weeks late... Started femmerra... Let's see what happens. was not asked for follow up, what?!...left and took a vacation.

* So far my DR. At OFC did not even ask for further consultation. She just told me over the phone that if this doesn't work, it's time to throw in the towel! Is it weird to ask for 2ond opinion in same clinic?
*Regrets: Why was I not encouraged to go straight to IVE in October 2011 when my AFC was 8-10!! (so what if 2 short of 12 min.! Had no idea that was a possibility) arrrrggg!

Feb. 2012- IUI #3: natural cycle, HCG triggar, insemination mistimed (thanks a lot) - BFN

*Switched Drs*
-After a lot of soul searching and encouragment from previous Dr.s assistant, took referral for second opinion. Best decision ever! new b/w with new Dr., baseline, FSH 5.5, E2-400s (*sigh*), AFC 6. Waiting for AMH test

Apr 2012- IVF #1-Getting ready for IVF with donor egg- April 2012- DE from sister who is 38 yrs, yikes! (it was all we were comfortable with, she is older but everything looks good-fingers crossed)
May 29- 2 embies ....2WW!
BFN- wasn't meant to be

#2 anytime now

anytime now
  • Cyclebase
  • 2561 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 02 February 2012 - 12:06 AM

Heartbeat-PM me if you wish about your RE and I can share my experiences with the RE's but would rather do that privately.
You could definitely get a 2nd opinion at OFC if you want to (or simply change docs) but I would consider getting that 2nd opinion at Cornell instead, though it will cost $500.00 to $600.00. My RE at OFC made it clear that they were the best and could do things in their labs that Canadian labs are just not able to achieve. Dr. Shattman and Rosenwaks were recommended http://www.ivf.org/phys.html

Good luck!

Hopeful girl-All the best to you for an easy, safe delivery!
  • gibasgirl likes this
Me: 44 (sigh) DB is 40 (Dear boyfriend!)

TTC from March 2009-March 2011 before DB had arrived on the scene
About 9 IUIs, 3 IVFs total

2 pregnancies with 7 week miscarriage requiring D&C
2 chemical pregnancies

April 2011 began a relationship now with a wonderful guy with an 8 year old son.
Sept 2011 Natural BFP while trying not to conceive (how ironic)
First Beta Day 15 from LMP was 851, Beta 4, 19 days post ovulation 5382
7wk US showed a heartbeat of 150! 9 wk US HB 185

May 19 2012 DS is born!!

#3 sharlene

sharlene
  • Cyclebase
  • 1737 posts
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:USA

Posted 02 February 2012 - 07:42 AM

Hi everyone. Just turned 40 (see signature). Doing IUI and hopefully move to IVF. Anyone with high FSH and/or low AMH? Any advice on the RE's in Ottawa? Mine is just not interested and feel lost... Whomever you are.... Please share your stories! Thank you

Additionally, if you want to chat with others over 40 (though not from Ottawa or even Canada, necessarily) - there is an "over 40" thread under the "over 35" heading. There are some success stories with "own eggs" and those who moved on to donor eggs and found success that way. There is also at least one "miracle in the making" - she responded to you above (A.N.).

Good luck - I hope you find success. Despite your RE, there is still a chance at 40 (with your own eggs) - and there is an excellent chance with donor eggs.

#4 Heartbeat

Heartbeat

Xxx

• Global 100+
  • 101 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:18 AM

Hi from another poor responder: My dr threw me on femerra but just finished U/s in Ottawa and was a bust. No follicles?!? Never happened before. On top, I have a reluctant dr... He'll write me off for sure now. Any advice?

AF came 2 weeks late... Started femmerra... Let's see what happens. was not asked for follow up, what?!...left and took a vacation.

* So far my DR. At OFC did not even ask for further consultation. She just told me over the phone that if this doesn't work, it's time to throw in the towel! Is it weird to ask for 2ond opinion in same clinic?
*Regrets: Why was I not encouraged to go straight to IVE in October 2011 when my AFC was 8-10!! (so what if 2 short of 12 min.! Had no idea that was a possibility) arrrrggg!

Feb. 2012- IUI #3: natural cycle, HCG triggar, insemination mistimed (thanks a lot) - BFN

*Switched Drs*
-After a lot of soul searching and encouragment from previous Dr.s assistant, took referral for second opinion. Best decision ever! new b/w with new Dr., baseline, FSH 5.5, E2-400s (*sigh*), AFC 6. Waiting for AMH test

Apr 2012- IVF #1-Getting ready for IVF with donor egg- April 2012- DE from sister who is 38 yrs, yikes! (it was all we were comfortable with, she is older but everything looks good-fingers crossed)
BFN- wasn't meant to be

#5 Doggymommy28

Doggymommy28
  • Global 100+
  • 392 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Ottawa Fertility Clinic

Posted 02 February 2012 - 12:41 PM

Hi, I'm sorry that your having a tough time. I see Dr Vause at the OFC and only have positive things to say about her. If you decide to get a 2nd opinion at the OFC I couldnt recommend her highly enough. Good luck
TTC since Aug/09

Aug/10 referral to RE
Sep/10 - Dec/10 multiple tests, HSG, sperm alaysis, blood work etc
Jan/11: Dx with MF infertity and DH referred for micro-tese
June/11: 0 sperm found with micro-tese
made decision to use donor sperm
made decisions re: donor
6 IUI's between July/11 and April/12 - all BFN's + 2 cancelled cycles

IVF:
May/12 patch protocol however cycle cancelled as clinic mis-timed drugs
June/12 patch protocol cycle cancelled due to crazy hormones
Waiting on CD1 (again) to now start suprafact IVF cycle - no AF, stupid hormones

July/12 hormones are normal again. RE suggests puregon straight away with no suprafact. Confirmed ER 28/July - my head is spinning from all these changes!
ET: 02/Aug - 1 embie tranferred
Early Beta 09/Aug - BFP 66 !!!!! Unfortunately also have OHSS but at this point I dont care so happy
Beta 13/Aug - 326
1 little gummi bear in there who is growing nicely and is 1 day ahead on dates
EDD: 19/April/13

#6 Heartbeat

Heartbeat

Xxx

• Global 100+
  • 101 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 11:54 PM

Hi, I'm sorry that your having a tough time. I see Dr Vause at the OFC and only have positive things to say about her. If you decide to get a 2nd opinion at the OFC I couldnt recommend her highly enough. Good luck

Hi There- I was responding to all of you and did not know about quoting. Thanks so much for your feedback. I have no idea how de Vause is but will look into it. I have DR. KATURBA

*Switched Drs*

BFN- wasn't meant to be

#7 Heartbeat

Heartbeat

Xxx

• Global 100+
  • 101 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 11:55 PM

Thanks- I'm taking it all in and trying to process... Started a vitamin regiment etx... How are you?

Additionally, if you want to chat with others over 40 (though not from Ottawa or even Canada, necessarily) - there is an "over 40" thread under the "over 35" heading. There are some success stories with "own eggs" and those who moved on to donor eggs and found success that way. There is also at least one "miracle in the making" - she responded to you above (A.N.).

Good luck - I hope you find success. Despite your RE, there is still a chance at 40 (with your own eggs) - and there is an excellent chance with donor eggs.

*Switched Drs*

BFN- wasn't meant to be

#8 Heartbeat

Heartbeat

Xxx

• Global 100+
  • 101 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 12:06 AM

Heartbeat-PM me if you wish about your RE and I can share my experiences with the RE's but would rather do that privately.
You could definitely get a 2nd opinion at OFC if you want to (or simply change docs) but I would consider getting that 2nd opinion at Cornell instead, though it will cost $500.00 to $600.00. My RE at OFC made it clear that they were the best and could do things in their labs that Canadian labs are just not able to achieve. Dr. Shattman and Rosenwaks were recommended http://www.ivf.org/phys.html

Good luck!

Hopeful girl-All the best to you for an easy, safe delivery!

Thanks AN- did you take a consult. I am seeing DR. K on Thursday... Was going to ask for a DHEA prescription. She has totally written me off so she just might give it to me. I am wondering about the benefits of Taking a second opinion in the same centre... I mean they are all colleagues after all right??? Talk soon. I also replied to a personal message...thanks a ton and happy pregnancy :-)

*Switched Drs*

BFN- wasn't meant to be

#9 Jazabell

Jazabell
  • Just Hatched
  • 8 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Ofc

Posted 29 September 2018 - 09:19 AM

Hi everyone,
This is my first post, hopefully someone is out there. Feeling defeated these days.
I'm also a patient at OFC and have just finished my second IVF cycle.

I'm about to turn 40, and have low AMH, FSH of 10 and AFC of 6. Diagnosis with unexplained and advanced aging.
My first IVF we did the estrogen priming patch with femara. Gonal f 300, luveris 150. I had 4 follicles total and by day 9 of stims nothing was over 9mm so they cancelled.
My second IVF, we did the microflare with lupron 2 times a day prior to stims, gonal f 450 and luveris 150. I had 4 follicles and by day 12 of stims, only 1 follicle at 19mm. We decided to try our luck on the one egg and had it retrieved. It didnt make it to day 2 successful and never fertilized.

I know when I see my dr. Hes gonna tell me game over because I feel hes very "routine" focused. Not the kind to individualize a protocol for me. Ie include hgh or testosterone gel..etc.

I've been doing a lot of research and there are different things you can try to achieve success. I feel like if you dont fit perfectly into one of the standard protocols then your out of luck.

Anyone at ofc that has a dr. That is individualizing a plan for them? If not any suggestions on a clinic in Ontario or Quebec that will?

We have been paying out of pocket so far for our cycles. Our free one isnt until sometime next spring/summer.

Xo
  • MarathonGirl78 likes this

#10 MarathonGirl78

MarathonGirl78
  • Just Hatched
  • 3 posts
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:OFC

Posted 29 November 2018 - 06:09 PM

Hi Jazabelle,

Have you had any luck in the last 2 months.?

I just joined this site but I am 40, a patent at OFc and had our first failed round of IVf. I was on microdose flare protocol as well and the same dose of meds. We had 6 eggs retrieved , 6 mature but only 2 fertilized. We transferred them on day 3 at 8 cell and 9 cell but I didnt get pregnant.

We have our follow up tomorrow. I dont find they offer up much info usually. I am desperately searching for info that I can bring to my appointment so I can drive the conversation.

#11 kayte1

kayte1
  • Global 100+
  • 228 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 29 November 2018 - 07:15 PM

Marathongirl, I'm sorry the cycle didn't work out. You may want to search the forums for "questions to ask" or "follow up/wtf appt", etc. as I recall recently some pretty good lists of questions to come prepared with, have been shared.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 40+, Ottawa, IVF, IUI, FSH, DOR, Amh