American Working with Canadian Surrogate - Ask The Fertility Lawyer - Forums

Jump to content


American Working with Canadian Surrogate

  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Duck

  • Cyclebase
  • 1851 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Toronto
  • Dx:Endometriosis
  • My Clinic:Repromed

Posted 01 February 2012 - 12:00 PM

Hi Sherry,
I'm asking this question on behalf of my friend, she has been trying to look for a surrogate in the US for over a year and has found it difficult to locate an adequate match.

My friend lives in the USA (Penn), is the process complicated for her to work with a Canadian Surrogate and bring the baby into the US?

Could she do the declaration of parentage here in Canada and then simply apply for citizenship in the US once she returns?

Thanks again,


Diagnosed with endometrosis at age 19

5 pelvic surgeries

2 IVF, numerous FETs

2 different gestational carriers

Now mother of 2 year old twins.

#2 SherryLevitan

  • Advisor
  • 105 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Toronto
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 01 February 2012 - 04:18 PM

Hi Duck (that sounds very odd. Should it be Ms Duck?),

About 20% of my surrogacy clients are foreign. There are pros (surro's pre-natal cate is covered by provincial health care) and cons (baby will not be covered by provincial health insurance). After birth, we need to have the IPs recognized as the baby's parents before they can enter the US, and the time required varies by province. The IPs should expect to be in Ontario for up to 6 weeks after the child's birth, but other provinces are faster. Babies will have dual citizenship.