supplements

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 atalanta

atalanta
  • 13 posts
  • Dx:PCOS

Posted 28 January 2012 - 12:25 AM

A question about which supplements are safe during pregnancy and the two week wait...

I have some issues with PCOS and irregular cycles and have been taking supplements (and doing acupuncture) to help optimize my chances at conceiving. We are really at the start of our journey but I am trying to be prepared at possible.

I am currently taking: fish oils, prenatal vitamin, B12, green tea, myo-inositol, bee pollen, vitamin D, B complex, calcium/magnesium, coQ10, digestive enzymes (been dealing with a lot of digestive issues), and probiotics (as well as some tcm herbs). I also just purchased an adrenal formula with SIberian ginseng, licorice, ashwaghanda, and rhodiola because I am always tired (and sick and tired of being tired...if anyone has any suggestions on that front too, please feel free to let me know).

I know not all of these are safe during pregnancy but I'm not sure what is and what isn't and when to stop (and how...if I have to taper off of anything). Is it better to stop during the 2ww just in case or to continue until the conception is confirmed? I know that some fish oils are safe depending on the quality. Can you recommend a really good quality fish oil?

I just found this site and I am amazed at how helpful it is. I really appreciate the advice in advance and thank everyone for their time and energy.

Beautiful wishes to all.

#2 DrFionaMcCulloch

DrFionaMcCulloch
  • Physician
  • 842 posts
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:White Lotus Naturopathic

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:45 AM

Hi atalanta

I would not recommend ashwaganda for women with pcos as it does increase male hormones. Nordic is a good fish oil. If you get a positive pregnancy test, I would stop most of what you are taking except for your prenatal and a high quality fish oil, and probiotics.

Thanks for your question!

Dr Fiona
Dr. Fiona McCulloch, BSc., ND : Naturopathic Doctor, Integrative Women's Health & Fertility
White Lotus Integrative Medicine
Greenfield Ave, Suite 201
North York, Ontario, M2N 3CBCanada
phone (416) 730-8218

#3 atalanta

atalanta
  • 13 posts
  • Dx:PCOS

Posted 18 February 2012 - 11:52 PM

Thank you so much Dr. Fiona. I really appreciate the help.

I would love to ask a follow up question...if you get a chance, I would love your thoughts.

In regards to adaptogens/herbs for adrenal issues, is there one that is better than the others for fatigue with PCOS? I am asking you specifically because I had no idea about the ashwaganda and I don't want to be taking something else that is counterproductive. I've heard a few good things about rhodiola. Would that be the best way to go?

I am so grateful for this site and for your time. If you have any thoughts on this issue, I would really appreciate the help.

Thank you again.

#4 DrFionaMcCulloch

DrFionaMcCulloch
  • Physician
  • 842 posts
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:White Lotus Naturopathic

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:38 PM

Hi atalanta,

yes, rhodiola would be a much better choice as an adaptogen for women who have PCOS! It is quite helpful.

Thanks so much for your question!

Dr Fiona
Dr. Fiona McCulloch, BSc., ND : Naturopathic Doctor, Integrative Women's Health & Fertility
White Lotus Integrative Medicine
Greenfield Ave, Suite 201
North York, Ontario, M2N 3CBCanada
phone (416) 730-8218

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: supplements