Donor sperm - what to put on birth cert? - Ask The Fertility Lawyer - IVF.ca Forums

Photo

Donor sperm - what to put on birth cert?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Silverstar

Silverstar
  • 27 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 26 December 2011 - 07:51 PM

Hello,

I am a single woman, currently pregnant using donor sperm. I would like to know what is the best thing to put on the baby's birth certificate in the section "father's name" - I would like to keep it blank rather than putting something that could be emotionally scarring to the child like 'unknown' or 'n/a'. I also don't want to put 'donor' because birth certificates are often used as forms of ID and I don't think it's anyone's business that the child's father was a donor. Can I keep the father section on the birth certificate blank?

Also, I have heard that if you are travelling alone with a young child, the agents/officers at the airport ask for a letter from the other parent giving you permission to travel with the child (presumably to prevent against kidnapping). Is this true? If yes, what would I do, considering there is no father? Again, I don't think it is anyone else's business that the child's father is a donor...so I don't want to have to tell agents/officers this information.

SS
  • Laura1976 likes this

#2 SherryLevitan

SherryLevitan
  • Advisor
  • 105 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 08:01 AM

Congratulations on the pregnancy! I hope you are feeling well.

In Ontario, there is no obligation to provide any details about the child's father. You may leave that box blank. If you live in another province, you may need to make some local inquiries, but I would be surprised to learn that there was a requirement to add any details.

You will also apply for a passport and, if memory serves, you will have your name added to the passport as the child's parent. In situations where there is only one parent listed on the passport, I imagine that the officials would not ask any questions, but this is a good practical question that the single moms on the board will know more about. Anyone care to add anything?

#3 Doggymommy28

Doggymommy28
  • Global 100+
  • 392 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Ottawa Fertility Clinic

Posted 28 December 2011 - 12:41 PM

Good thread! Just a quick question I am married howeved due to circustances we need to use donor sperm. I can still put my husbands name on the birth certificate right? He will be the father just sperm donor was just that a one time deposit! Thanks
TTC since Aug/09

Aug/10 referral to RE
Sep/10 - Dec/10 multiple tests, HSG, sperm alaysis, blood work etc
Jan/11: Dx with MF infertity and DH referred for micro-tese
June/11: 0 sperm found with micro-tese
made decision to use donor sperm
made decisions re: donor
6 IUI's between July/11 and April/12 - all BFN's + 2 cancelled cycles

IVF:
May/12 patch protocol however cycle cancelled as clinic mis-timed drugs
June/12 patch protocol cycle cancelled due to crazy hormones
Waiting on CD1 (again) to now start suprafact IVF cycle - no AF, stupid hormones

July/12 hormones are normal again. RE suggests puregon straight away with no suprafact. Confirmed ER 28/July - my head is spinning from all these changes!
ET: 02/Aug - 1 embie tranferred
Early Beta 09/Aug - BFP 66 !!!!! Unfortunately also have OHSS but at this point I dont care so happy
Beta 13/Aug - 326
1 little gummi bear in there who is growing nicely and is 1 day ahead on dates
EDD: 19/April/13

#4 SherryLevitan

SherryLevitan
  • Advisor
  • 105 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 06:01 PM

Yes, you can put your husband's name on the Statement of live birth. I am assuming that he consented to the use of donor sperm.