• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 FamilyDreams

FamilyDreams
  • 22 posts
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:Regional Fertility Program

Posted 29 November 2011 - 07:05 PM

I'm wondering what opinions you guys have about Calgary's RFP's treatment compared to other clinics? We were originally told that they were incredible, but now that we've done 2 IVF rounds, never gotten more than 1 or 2 follicles, and they aren't trying anything different we're wondering if they are really that great. We like our RE but thought he would try something else before throwing in the towel and suggesting retrieval with 1 follicle (not suggesting retrieval, but saying if that was our goal, now is as good as any time) because we aren't going to do better than that.

I just feel like there must be something else we can try. I expected he would try something else, that's all.

#2 cutebutdozy

cutebutdozy
  • Global 100+
  • 134 posts
  • Dx:Other

Posted 29 November 2011 - 09:39 PM

We had a consult at the Calgary clinic, and I was not impressed. We decided on La Jolla Ivf in San Diego, and Dr. Smotrich was awesome. We are pregnant on the first try.

#3 Yearning

Yearning
  • Cyclebase
  • 1538 posts
  • Interests:Horses, Show Jumping, Reading, Chemistry, Genetics, Math.
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Foothills

Posted 30 November 2011 - 04:04 AM

Hi FamilyDreams
I have heard lots of people say that the clinic is wonderful...if you fit into their favorite protocol. However, I have heard equally as many people unhappy because their "main protocol" hasn't worked for them. I have heard from some couples that In the past the REs have not been eager to allow you to try something different. I know of two couples who chose other places. I also know of 1very persistent patient that convinced on of the REs to let her try something that she had really researched carefully and in-depth.

I am of the opinion that a second opinion never hurts. You must gather all of the knowledge that you are able to.

#4 tannikka

tannikka
  • 1000+
  • 1402 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:Foothills

Posted 30 November 2011 - 09:03 AM

Funny how what works for one, doesn't for another. Calgary, who got me pregnant first round ivf, was my second opinion, my first clinic wasn't very successful. So I am a firm believer of second opinions. Go get it. Its your body, life, etc. so go for it. Depending where you are, I hear people also like the Victoria clinic. ?? Good luck to you.
Tannikka(42)

Me(34), DH(36)
DS 18(mine) TTC 2 yrs
1st IVF+ ICSI - No Frosties
April 9 - BFN
--------------------------------------
Me(35), DH (37)
2nd IVF + ICSI - No Frosties
Nov 30 Beta - BFN
----------------------------------------------------------
me (36), DH (38)
New Clinic