What is the clinic like for new patients - Montreal Fertility Centre - IVF.ca Forums

Photo
- - - - -

What is the clinic like for new patients

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 GratefulMommy

GratefulMommy
  • Global 100+
  • 242 posts
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:MFC

Posted 06 February 2011 - 10:54 AM

Hi Everyone,
I have been a patient at the McGill clinic. I am seriously thinking of going to a new clinic, but I'm not quite sure what the other clinics are like for new Quebec patients since the new funding has come in for Quebec residents. Everyone who has been at the Montreal Fertility Center seems to love it. I'm wondering how new patients (Quebec residents) are feeling about the clinic since the funding has kicked in. How are the wait times for both an initial consultation and to start an IVF cycle? How has your experience with the doctors and nurses been since the new funding has come in? Are the doctors and staff still as wonderful as in the past? What fees are there for Quebec patients (like consultations, blood tests, ultrasounds, sperm analysis, etc.) Also what are the hours like for the clinic. I know that at McGill, you basically have to take the appointment that they give you and the appointments are from 8:30 to early afternoon. Also, it is almost impossible to make an appointment because you need to call between 9 and 4. I'm a teacher, so I'm teaching during that time. Not convenient at all! Finally, I'm looking for a "human side" to this whole situation. I have one doctor that I like at McGill, and that's the only reason that I am still there. The other doctors, residents, and nurses treat you like a number.
Thanks in advance for your input!
Lisa
Where do I start?

I have an irregularly shaped uterus, I have had a uterine septum removed, I have an endocervical folds that are most probably causing persistent fluid in my uterus, I had chronic endometritis for over a year, a luteal phase defect, I had two dermoid cysts (benign tumours the size of oranges) on my ovaries removed, I am MTHFR heterozygous, and have been told that I may have an "egg quality" issue.You name it, I've got it :(

Miracle DS born December 2008

December 2009: TTC#2

June 2010: Started at McGill. Transferred to Montreal Reproductive Center- had a horrible experience Switched to Montreal Fertility Center- So happy there!

IVF #1-
short protocolER: April 21/11- 8 eggs, 7 mature 5 embryosOn day 3: 4x4 cell grade 2 and 1x2 cell grade 15 day transfer of 1 blast on April 26/11 (two surprise blast frosties)
Beta on May 6/11. BFN :(

June 2011: On the waiting list for adoption from South Korea

July 2011:Persistent chronic endometritis (endometrial inflammation from a complication post c-section) finally cured!

FET #1:
September 8th 2011- transfer of 2 blasts
Beta on September 19/11 BFN :(

IVF #2-
short protocol againER: Oct. 5/11- 13 eggs collected, 11 mature and fertilized2DPER- : 11 embryos were grades 2&3 and 2,3,4 and 5 cells
Oct. 10/11 5 day transfer of 1 blast.
Two blast frosties
Beta on October 20/11 BFN :(

Consultation @OVO- October 2011.
Re-consulted @McGill. Staying with MFC for now.

Operative hysteroscopy with Dr. M on February 23, 2012 to hopefully remove and endocervical cyst or polyp. --- no cyst or polyp, but endocervical folds were found that are most probably damage from a cerclage from my previous pregnancy. The folds cannot be removed but should not effect implantation.

Phone consult booked with Dr. Librach, a reproductive immunologist, to explore possible immune issues. (Feb. 16, 2012) rescheduled for February 28th, 2012. Dr. Librach said that I most probably have immune issue based on my history and symptoms. With next transfer I will be:-Having an intralipid infusion,-using steroids-Using baby aspirin-Praying that it works!And traveling back and forth from Toronto for treatments along with cycling at MFC.

FET #2
Started Estrace April 9, 2012
Estimated transfer date: April 26, 2012
CYCLE CANCELLED- lining didn't look right even though it grew but only after 16 days

FET #3 (actually FET #2 Take 2)Started Estrace May 9th, 2012- lining not cooperating again :(Cycle cancelled again.

This was our last try before going down a new path...I'm done. My body and soul can't take this anymore.

May 2012: Looking into surrogacy.
June 2012: Now looking for a surrogate
Sept 2012: We may have found the most wonderful surrogate! Keep your fingers crossed after so much heartache (after contacting over 250 surrogates and getting close with about 4 before all contact stopped?)

May 2012: It looks like it is going to be at least 4 more years. Adoption from South Korea has slowed down.

September 2012: South Korea waiting list closed because there are no proposed children. Hopefully things will pick up.

On the waiting list for adoption from Kazakhstan ( looking at a probable 2 year wait.)

October 2012: Called to sign a contract with Alliance Des Familles du Quebec. In Shock! Might be adopting from Kazakstan earlier than anticipated!

November 2012: Waiting for my surrogate to have her sonohystogram.Signed contract with Alliance Des Familles du Quebec and opened file with SAI.

Starting home study in January 2013.So, right now, it seems like its always all or nothing! Pursuing surrogacy (in the screening stage/pre-contract) and international adoption from Kazakhstan. I'm praying that we will choose the right path. I'm so conflicted and don't know what to do.

Adoption process on pause.

Surrogacy journey: Amazing surrogate passed psych and cleared medically. We will be meeting with dr. M to make plan.

May 2013: Getting ready for FET in a May. I high quality blast to my surrogate. BFN

Took the summer 2013 off.

November 2013: Ovarian stimulation -7 follicles. Only 1 egg :( Possible ET to GS Friday November 29, 2013. NOPE. EGG was abnormal.

April 4, 2014: Last cycle with incredible surrogate ended with a BFN

April 28, 2014: Submitted file for home study. Collecting documents to complete my file.

August 2014: Still waiting for home study...

Starting home study soon! Stay tuned...

#2 Duck

Duck
  • Cyclebase
  • 1851 posts
  • Dx:Endometriosis
  • My Clinic:Repromed

Posted 06 February 2011 - 06:00 PM

I don't. Know if it has changed since funding but here is what my experience was like, I was one of the first patients when the new husband/wife team of res took over.I waited 1 week for initial consultation. The appointments were really punctual, we waited 15 mins tops(I also went to repromed where the wait was hours for an ultra sound!) and the level of care is absolutely fantastic. They were dedicated and kind, understanding and patient. I have a tricky cervix so the booked off an hour for a mock transfer, they had to do it twice and the second time I had both the doctors working together. They are personal people, and excellent physicians, and were personally dedicated to making us parents. I'm a pretty huge fan, and I have referred other women to their clinic(and they got pg!). Feel free to pm me if you have questions.

Diagnosed with endometrosis at age 19

5 pelvic surgeries

2 IVF, numerous FETs

2 different gestational carriers

Now mother of 2 year old twins.

#3 Hope888

Hope888
  • 26 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 21 February 2011 - 03:35 PM

Hi Lisa,

I spent almost two years at Montreal Fertility Centre (1.5 yrs prior to the PQ funding kicked in and another 4months after PQ funding started). Simply put, the team is fantastic. However, since the PQ funding things have definitely changed. Now, the average wait time for your appointments is about an hour now (it use to be about 15 min.). Also since the PQ funding, the docs and nurses have much less time than before, however, if you have a question, they are still very attentive. So, just ask away! For the fees, check out their web site. Only diagnostic fees are now charged. You can always do your blood tests at the hospital for free if you like. They start early (7AM) but the early appointments are for egg extraction, then transfers and late morning and afternoons are for consults. But, you do get to choose your apt times. Likewise at McGill, getting through on their phone can be challenging on the best of days. Best not to call before 10h30 as their mornings are very busy. Since you are looking for the human side, this is definitely the place to go. Do note that MFC does not do everything that McGill does (i.e. IVM, PDG).

Hope I've been able to answer your questions. And, the best of luck!!
Me 44 DH 48
TTC 3 years
Unexplained
6 failed IUIs
2 failed IVFs

Sept 2010, IVF #3, BFP. However, HcG levels were off, had vanishing twin. Recent US showed the baby stopped growing at 6w2d. Miscarried naturally at 10w. Heartbroken.

Feb 2011, IVM #1. Changed clinics. Nine follicles at Day3 of cycle. Five days of Femara (5 mg), and Menupur (400 IUI). HCG (10000IUI). Day10, five eggs retrieved (3 mature and 2 immature). The 3 matured ones were ICSI/AH the day of retrieval, resulting in 2 embryos. Day12, one more embryo matured and ICSI/AH. Day13, transfer of 3 beautiful embies. BFN. :(

#4 GratefulMommy

GratefulMommy
  • Global 100+
  • 242 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 05:59 PM

Hi Lisa,

I spent almost two years at Montreal Fertility Centre (1.5 yrs prior to the PQ funding kicked in and another 4months after PQ funding started). Simply put, the team is fantastic. However, since the PQ funding things have definitely changed. Now, the average wait time for your appointments is about an hour now (it use to be about 15 min.). Also since the PQ funding, the docs and nurses have much less time than before, however, if you have a question, they are still very attentive. So, just ask away! For the fees, check out their web site. Only diagnostic fees are now charged. You can always do your blood tests at the hospital for free if you like. They start early (7AM) but the early appointments are for egg extraction, then transfers and late morning and afternoons are for consults. But, you do get to choose your apt times. Likewise at McGill, getting through on their phone can be challenging on the best of days. Best not to call before 10h30 as their mornings are very busy. Since you are looking for the human side, this is definitely the place to go. Do note that MFC does not do everything that McGill does (i.e. IVM, PDG).

Hope I've been able to answer your questions. And, the best of luck!!

Thanks for the reply. I have made an appointment for a consult at MFC in March. I'm torn. I'm hoping that the wait time for IVF is less than the wait at McGill. I'm scheduled for my first calendar appointment at McGill only in November, and I'm hoping the MFC will have an earlier date. I'm really looking for a doctor who will listen to me and not just rush me straight to IVF without listening to all of my concerns. But I want the best care possible as well and the best chance. I know that McGill has great labs, so I'm not sure.

Thanks again for the reply!

Lisa
Where do I start?

I have an irregularly shaped uterus, I have had a uterine septum removed, I have an endocervical folds that are most probably causing persistent fluid in my uterus, I had chronic endometritis for over a year, a luteal phase defect, I had two dermoid cysts (benign tumours the size of oranges) on my ovaries removed, I am MTHFR heterozygous, and have been told that I may have an "egg quality" issue.You name it, I've got it :(

June 2010: Started at McGill. Transferred to Montreal Reproductive Center- had a horrible experience Switched to Montreal Fertility Center- So happy there!

IVF #1-
short protocolER: April 21/11- 8 eggs, 7 mature 5 embryosOn day 3: 4x4 cell grade 2 and 1x2 cell grade 15 day transfer of 1 blast on April 26/11 (two surprise blast frosties)

July 2011:Persistent chronic endometritis (endometrial inflammation from a complication post c-section) finally cured!

FET #1:

IVF #2-
short protocol againER: Oct. 5/11- 13 eggs collected, 11 mature and fertilized2DPER- : 11 embryos were grades 2&3 and 2,3,4 and 5 cells
Two blast frosties

Operative hysteroscopy with Dr. M on February 23, 2012 to hopefully remove and endocervical cyst or polyp. --- no cyst or polyp, but endocervical folds were found that are most probably damage from a cerclage from my previous pregnancy. The folds cannot be removed but should not effect implantation.

Phone consult booked with Dr. Librach, a reproductive immunologist, to explore possible immune issues. (Feb. 16, 2012) rescheduled for February 28th, 2012. Dr. Librach said that I most probably have immune issue based on my history and symptoms. With next transfer I will be:-Having an intralipid infusion,-using steroids-Using baby aspirin-Praying that it works!And traveling back and forth from Toronto for treatments along with cycling at MFC.

FET #2
CYCLE CANCELLED- lining didn't look right even though it grew but only after 16 days

FET #3 (actually FET #2 Take 2)Started Estrace May 9th, 2012- lining not cooperating again :(Cycle cancelled again.

This was our last try before going down a new path...I'm done. My body and soul can't take this anymore.

Sept 2012: We may have found the most wonderful surrogate! Keep your fingers crossed after so much heartache (after contacting over 250 surrogates and getting close with about 4 before all contact stopped?)

May 2012: It looks like it is going to be at least 4 more years. Adoption from South Korea has slowed down.

September 2012: South Korea waiting list closed because there are no proposed children. Hopefully things will pick up.

On the waiting list for adoption from Kazakhstan ( looking at a probable 2 year wait.)

October 2012: Called to sign a contract with Alliance Des Familles du Quebec. In Shock! Might be adopting from Kazakstan earlier than anticipated!

November 2012: Waiting for my surrogate to have her sonohystogram.Signed contract with Alliance Des Familles du Quebec and opened file with SAI.

Starting home study in January 2013.So, right now, it seems like its always all or nothing! Pursuing surrogacy (in the screening stage/pre-contract) and international adoption from Kazakhstan. I'm praying that we will choose the right path. I'm so conflicted and don't know what to do.

Surrogacy journey: Amazing surrogate passed psych and cleared medically. We will be meeting with dr. M to make plan.

May 2013: Getting ready for FET in a May. I high quality blast to my surrogate. BFN

November 2013: Ovarian stimulation -7 follicles. Only 1 egg :( Possible ET to GS Friday November 29, 2013. NOPE. EGG was abnormal.

April 28, 2014: Submitted file for home study. Collecting documents to complete my file.

#5 em noor

em noor
  • 9 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:montreal fertility

Posted 22 February 2011 - 06:49 PM

hi lisa, i go to mfc, this is my second ivf round...... they are very nice, they answer all my questions, and they dont rush me at all... i like them both dr mehutte and dr ouhilal. i just hope i will be lucky this time, coz with this funding they are allowed to transfer only one embryo and i feel it is totally unfair, coz the chances of getting preg decreases that way. i have a low number of folliciles and last time only two got fertillized first embryo transfered was BFN, second embryo was BFP then lost it after 10 days... hopefully i will be lucky next time inshallah...
well good luck to you too

#6 em noor

em noor
  • 9 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:montreal fertility

Posted 22 February 2011 - 06:52 PM

by the way i really hate the fact that they cant transfer more than one embryo... what do you think ??
what are the odds that we will get preg. and carry it to full term with one embryo transferred ???
good luck to all of us

#7 babydream1

babydream1
  • 40 posts
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:Montreal Ferility Clinic

Posted 25 February 2011 - 11:51 AM

Hi Lisa,

I spent over a year at MFC, I can not begin to tell you how wonderful the doctors and nurses (suzanne and chantal) are.
Yes, it did get alot busier since the new Quebec regulations but believe me, they will still find the time for you either the doctors or nurses. Every time I had a questions for either Dr.Mahutte or Suzanne, I would email them and get an answer the same exact date. You cannot find any more caring people like at this clinic. If your looking for someone to listen and help you in right direction, this is definitely the place !

Every time I had a consultation with Dr.Mahutte (after inital consultation) I would send him my questions in advance, this time he had time to look at them and prepare and there would be no wasted time.

I doubt you will have to wait until November for an IVF but I have not gone back for treatment, we were actually blessed with a miracle bfp and Dr,Mahutte was wonderful he still followed me until 9.5 weeks even though we were unlucky all year with him - but it truly comes down to luck - the perfect egg with the prefect sperm. But just to put you in perspective, when we did our IVF in September and October (it was the short protocol) I called Day 3 went in for a scan, he liked the the number of follicles both times and it was a go immediately.

We've tried OVO, MCgill and actually also went to 2 consultations at Dr. Tan's new clinic, my husband and I both agree no one comes even close to this clinic !!!

Good luck with everything. All the best to you and your husband !!!!

PS - For your appt you can call as early as 7am, angie the secretary is usually there but if not they've hired additional receptionists so someone will be able to answer you at that time before you go off to work.

#8 by2008

by2008
  • 12 posts
  • My Clinic:Montreal Fertility Clinic

Posted 25 February 2011 - 02:34 PM

lisa, others have said it, but i'll just echo the positive feedback. we started with mfc a few years ago, but hesitated to go forward with treatment until recently (for our reasons -- nothing to do with the clinic). i've noticed more chairs in the waiting room, and they have more facilities, but i haven't noticed a change in the care i'm receiving, or the promptness of replies. i have no doubt they've experienced a huge influx of patients, but i still feel important to them. (the waiting times have gotten a bit longer, but i still don't wait as long there as i do at my gp!).

good luck to you.

#9 by2008

by2008
  • 12 posts
  • My Clinic:Montreal Fertility Clinic

Posted 25 February 2011 - 02:35 PM

oh, and i'm a teacher, and i find that you can call really early. i've also exchanged emails with suzanne when i wasn't able to get to the phone. i arranged for pick up of blood reqs without picking up a phone.

#10 anytime now

anytime now
  • Cyclebase
  • 2561 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 12:57 AM

Hi Ladies,

I don't know your ages, but this is info that I found, and given that I am over 40, when I consulted with Dr. Tan, was told that I could transfer 3 embryos. Here is the website and pertinent quote that makes an exception for older women. Please discuss with your RE beforehand if you are over age 37, as someone at OVO who is 40 was recently not allowed to transfer more than 1 embyro. This makes no sense to me... see below:

http://www.msss.gouv...procreation.php (see "best practices")

The government wants to reduce the number of multiple pregnancies from in vitro fertilization from 30% to 5%. Multiple pregnancies are, among other things, a source of premature births, entailing their own complications and sequela, some of which are permanent.

The approach fosters best practices:

* Modified natural cycle (The cycle generally produces a single embryo.)
* Implantation of one embryo at a time
* The physician may, under exceptional conditions, transfer a maximum of 2 embryos if the woman is 36 years of age or younger, and a maximum of 3 embryos if the woman is 37 years of age or older.

by the way i really hate the fact that they cant transfer more than one embryo... what do you think ??
what are the odds that we will get preg. and carry it to full term with one embryo transferred ???
good luck to all of us

Me: 44 (sigh) DB is 40 (Dear boyfriend!)

TTC from March 2009-March 2011 before DB had arrived on the scene
About 9 IUIs, 3 IVFs total

2 pregnancies with 7 week miscarriage requiring D&C
2 chemical pregnancies

April 2011 began a relationship now with a wonderful guy with an 8 year old son.
Sept 2011 Natural BFP while trying not to conceive (how ironic)
First Beta Day 15 from LMP was 851, Beta 4, 19 days post ovulation 5382
7wk US showed a heartbeat of 150! 9 wk US HB 185

May 19 2012 DS is born!!

#11 GratefulMommy

GratefulMommy
  • Global 100+
  • 242 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 01:09 PM

Hi Ladies,

I don't know your ages, but this is info that I found, and given that I am over 40, when I consulted with Dr. Tan, was told that I could transfer 3 embryos. Here is the website and pertinent quote that makes an exception for older women. Please discuss with your RE beforehand if you are over age 37, as someone at OVO who is 40 was recently not allowed to transfer more than 1 embyro. This makes no sense to me... see below:

http://www.msss.gouv...procreation.php (see "best practices")

The government wants to reduce the number of multiple pregnancies from in vitro fertilization from 30% to 5%. Multiple pregnancies are, among other things, a source of premature births, entailing their own complications and sequela, some of which are permanent.

The approach fosters best practices:

* Modified natural cycle (The cycle generally produces a single embryo.)
* Implantation of one embryo at a time
* The physician may, under exceptional conditions, transfer a maximum of 2 embryos if the woman is 36 years of age or younger, and a maximum of 3 embryos if the woman is 37 years of age or older.

good luck to all of us

Does anyone know what exceptional conditions are for patients 36 and under? I wonder if only certain doctors are willing to do this? Isn't there a lower success rate for single embryo implantation? Maybe doctors want to do one at a time to get their three cycles out of each patient? Hmmm, I wonder...
Where do I start?

IVF #1-

FET #1:

IVF #2-
Two blast frosties

FET #2

#12 anytime now

anytime now
  • Cyclebase
  • 2561 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 03:15 PM

Funny, I never noticed the wording so closely as to say "under exceptional circumstances". I don't know, but I can just say that Dr. Tan seemed to have no qualms about promising me 3. Maybe having had a transfer with 4 embryos and no pregnancy would have been what he'd have used as the excuse in my case...
Me: 44 (sigh) DB is 40 (Dear boyfriend!)

TTC from March 2009-March 2011 before DB had arrived on the scene
About 9 IUIs, 3 IVFs total

2 pregnancies with 7 week miscarriage requiring D&C
2 chemical pregnancies

April 2011 began a relationship now with a wonderful guy with an 8 year old son.
Sept 2011 Natural BFP while trying not to conceive (how ironic)
First Beta Day 15 from LMP was 851, Beta 4, 19 days post ovulation 5382
7wk US showed a heartbeat of 150! 9 wk US HB 185

May 19 2012 DS is born!!

#13 Hostlucy

Hostlucy
  • Global 100+
  • 426 posts
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:OVO/MFC/McGill

Posted 03 March 2011 - 09:18 PM

Lisa, I had my first consultation at MFC today and Dr. said we will start cycling at my next period so there's no wait time. :)
Me: 43 DH: 43
IVF #1 BFN
IVF #2 BFN
IVF #3 BFP!!

9 eggs retrieved, 7 mature, 4 fertilized, 3 transfered
2 -5 cell grade 2-3, 1-9 cell grade 3
10dp3dt + hpt
12dp3dt beta = 109, 237 & 25dp3dt 15418
1st u/s May 16 - twins!! Babies measure 6w1d
Twin A hb 111, Twin B hb 101
June 3, Twin B didn't make it
DS born December 26, 2009

IVF #4 BFN
IVF #5 BFN
IVF #6 BFP!!
11 eggs retrieved, 11 mature, 7 fertilized!
1 6 cell and 1 8 cell embryo transfered, good quality
2 4 cell embryos frozen
9dp3dt faint + on First Response
12dp3dt beta = 97, 167, 295, 408
1st U/S 08/18/11 Baby measures 6w1d, no HB detected
2nd U/S 08/25/11 Baby measures 6w4d, HB normal
3rd U/S 09/13/11 Baby measures 9w1d, 174bpm

12/2011 -Baby diagnosed with Tetralogy of Fallot with absent pulmonary valve
DS born April 4, 2012