Fast cleaving embryo.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Sergeant

Sergeant
  • 9 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 25 January 2011 - 02:59 PM

Looking for advice. I am 41 and have just undergone my 3rd ICSI cycle with my own eggs. My consultant put me on the long protocol and I barely responded to stims (450iu of Menopur) However, we decided to go ahead with egg collection and 2 eggs were found. Only 1 was mature and this was fertilised with my partners thawed TESE sperm using ICSI with IMSI.
The egg fertilised and at day 2 was a Grade 1 (being the best) 4 cell.
We went on on day 3 for transfer and the embryo was now 11 cells......!!!!! It was still graded as Grade 1 and the embryologist said he wasn't concerned about the rate of cleavage as some embryos cleave faster than others.
To my untrained eye it looked ok....perfectly round, cells looked symmetrical and very little fragmentation.
However....I am a google addict and have found 3 sets of research about fast cleaving embryos..
1) Some cleave quicker and then use all the energy from the egg and slow down just as rapidly.
2) They are genetically abnormal (which would fit with my age)
3) They are stronger and have a higher chance of implantation and pregnancy rates.

Just wondered if you had come across an 11 cell embryo at day 3?
(I had a 9 cell embryo transfered at day 3 on my last cycle with donor eggs and this produced a pregnancy which then resulted in a missed miscarriage at 8+4)
Thank you.
Me 41 DP 33 with NOA. Open TESE got us sperm on ice.
ICSI#1 LP 2 eggs/2 fertilised 1x4 cell, 1x2 cell on 2DT BFN
ICSI#2 SP 6 eggs/6 fertilised 2x8 cells on 3DT BFN
FET 2x8 cells BFN
Moved to DE
DEICSI #1 8 mature eggs but only 1 fertilised. 1x9 cell on 3DT....BFP!!!!
HB @ 6+4, no HB @ 8+4 MMC, D&C...totally heartbroken :,(
ICSI#3 (back to my own eggs) LP (error by consultant) 2 eggs but only 1 mature but it fertilised. 11 cells @ 3DT. BFN
DEICSI #2 April 2011

#2 Emily81

Emily81
  • 1000+
  • 1533 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:AART- Halifax

Posted 25 January 2011 - 04:49 PM

I can give you my unprofessional personal experience- The morning of Day 3(at 8am) I received a call that we had an 8 cell and a 10 cell that we would transfer. We arrived for transfer at noon, and the embryos were dividing quickly, the 8 cell was a 10 cell , and the 10 cell was a compacting morula(not too sure how many cells though). In our case it worked, as both took. Hoping it's a great sign for you too! Lots of luck, Emily

Me: 31, DH:34
? Mild PCOS/ Mild Male factor- Low Morph- 9%
TTC- Since Dec 2005

August/Sept 2009- IUI + injectabes cycle- BFN- was converted from IUI to IVF(20 follies growing) and then back to IUI(3 mature follies)....

IVF/ICSI cycle Sept/Oct 2010- BFP- (I insisisted on ICSI against my Drs wishes, and in the end we needed it)..
Oct 12- ER- 19 eggs, 15 mature, 6 fert
Oct 15- ET- morula- 18/20 & a 10 cell- 19/20 (Faith & Wish)
- OHSS starts 8dp3dt- Early beta in ER-636- 12dp3dt, #2- 4,267- 17dp3dt
Nov 23- 8 week u/s- TWINS
Incompetent Cervix diagnosed at 24 weeks. Hospital bedrest 24- 33 weeks due to 0.6 cm cervix, 1-2 cms dialated(at 24 weeks)
May 16th- 2011- Baby A breaks his water
May 18th- 2011- Boys arrive 33w1d
Baby A- CM- 4 lbs 4 oz, 17.5 in, 3:01 PM Baby B- CL- 4 lbs 2 oz, 16.5 in, 3:55 PM Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

#3 Sergeant

Sergeant
  • 9 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 26 January 2011 - 04:37 AM

Thanks Emily....wow, that's fantastic news. Congratulations to you and your twin bump.
I have found another lady on another website that had a 12 cell and a 13 cell transfer on day 3 that is also pregnant with twins. She was 30, but sadly another lady the same age as me who had a 12 cell and an 11 cell day 3 transfer and who got a BFN so I am gearing myself up for the worst as I fear my eggs (in this scenario, my egg!) are past it :(
Thanks again though and good luck xxxx
Me 41 DP 33 with NOA. Open TESE got us sperm on ice.
ICSI#1 LP 2 eggs/2 fertilised 1x4 cell, 1x2 cell on 2DT BFN
ICSI#2 SP 6 eggs/6 fertilised 2x8 cells on 3DT BFN
FET 2x8 cells BFN
Moved to DE
DEICSI #1 8 mature eggs but only 1 fertilised. 1x9 cell on 3DT....BFP!!!!
HB @ 6+4, no HB @ 8+4 MMC, D&C...totally heartbroken :,(
ICSI#3 (back to my own eggs) LP (error by consultant) 2 eggs but only 1 mature but it fertilised. 11 cells @ 3DT. BFN
DEICSI #2 April 2011

#4 Lisa1995

Lisa1995
  • 1000+
  • 1417 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:was Lifequest, now Markham

Posted 26 January 2011 - 09:16 AM

I also had a morula on day 3 that turned into a perfect blast on day 5. I had that blast and another embie (a morula) transferred on day 5 and I assume that fast dividing embie is now my 6 month old DD. I recall also being worried at the time that the fast dividing might be a bad sign and had read mixed info about it on-line but it worked out well for me too. Good luck to you!

TTC #1: starting in Feb 2005 "unexplained" (immune issues, elevated NK cells, 2 heterozygous MTHFR and 2 heterozygous thrombophilias - Factor XIII and PAI-1 mutations)
me-42, DH-42, married since 1995!
Tried: Naturopath, Chinese herbs, Acupuncture, Homeopathy
4 un-medicated IUI's BFN
IVF # 1 18 eggs retrieved, 16 mature, 8 out of 16 fertilized (1/2 ICSI, half IVF), 5 made it to day 5 blast, transferred two, froze 3
first ever BFP m/c
FET #1 medicated, transferred two, started spotting 2 days later, full blown AF 5 days later (decided I don't react well to Estrace, will do natural frozen next time) BFN
FET #2 natural (but still with progesterone (crinone) support, transferred last blast from IVF #1 BFN
IVF #2 16 eggs retrieved, decided not to do ICSI this time since cycle #1 showed eggs could fertilize on their own, only 3 fertilized! None made it to blast for transfer no transfer! Disaster!
IVF #3 decided to add some repronex to the stims and do all ICSI. 18 eggs, 17 mature and 15 fertilized, 8 made it to day 5 blast. Transferred two blasts, froze 6 BFN
FET#3 added 3 HCG booster shots and doubled up on the crinone to prevent me from spotting early (as I often do), transferred 2 blasts, no spotting but a BFN anyway
FET #4- added ovidral just before my natural ovulation so they could pin point it more accurately with the 36 hour window, HCG shots again, plus double crinone BFN
January 2009 Consult with new RE in Markham - he finds a small septum, resected April 29, 09 - tells me to now try my last two frozen blasts
FET #5 - ET scheduled for June 15 (natural cycle with trigger, HCG booster and crinone) - BFN
On to Plan B- Switch clinic to Markham for
#4 Fresh IVF with IVIg, exploring immune testing - start BCP Sept 20. ER around week of Oct. 25
9 eggs retrieved, 1 immature, 1 fractured. 7 to work with. 4 out of 7 fertilized (Day 3: 1 8 cell grade 1, 2 8 cell grade 2 and 1 morula). Day 5 transferred 1 great blast and 1 morula (1 morula and 1 10 cell did not make it to freezing).
Beta Nov. 11 - BFP! (550) I am in shock!
Issues with spotting, Nov 20, second beta 11,000 and early ultrasound: saw gestational sac and yolk sac in the right place but concern about a cyst or possible ectopic near my ovary as well, 4 more ultrasounds over a 10 day period, last ultrasound on Dec. 2 'cyst' has not grown and baby measuring on target at 7wks, 1day with a heart beat of 153bpm.
Now taking Lovenox due to 2 heterozygous thrombophilias
Ultrasound on Dec. 18 (9 weeks, 5 days) baby on track, hb 167
Ultrasound on Dec. 22 due to extra heavy spotting, baby still measuring on track, hb 167 and dancing
Ultrasound on Jan. 8 (12 weeks, 5 days) baby on track, hb 160, baby doing crunches!
18 week anatomy scan scheduled for Feb. 16 - they lost my blood work for the second part of the IPS so no results for that today (they took blood again) but the 18 week scan went great, baby looked awesome and even gave us a little wave in between sucking her thumb and inspecting her toes. Yes, I said "her" - it's a little girl!
20 week ultrasound at Mt. Sinai and they agree, so far so good.
IPS results are in and they are excellent!
EDD: July 19, 2010
Baby girl arrived at 39 weeks, 2 days! July 14, 2010 3:12 am, weighing 7 pounds even.
May 2013 - The IVF Journey continues...one last try to see if a sibling is in the cards...
Did LIT, IVIg, Lovenox and low dose aspirin. 5 eggs retrieved, 1 immature, 1 fractured, 3 to work with, 2 fertilized with ICSI.
June 5, day 3 transfer of 2 8 cell grade 2 embryos.BFN
April 2014, one very last try - natural IVF with intralipids this time, 2! dominant follicles, 2 mature eggs retrieved, both fertilize with ICSI, day 3 transfer scheduled for April 13, transferred 1 8-cell grade one and 1 6-cell grade one (also using Lovenox and low dose ASA) -BFN, we are really done, not sure if it is now my immune system, or old eggs now too.