Public funded IVF - Poll - Page 2 - Healthcare Funding and Finances - IVF.ca Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Public funded IVF - Poll

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

Poll: IVF Funding poll (246 member(s) have cast votes)

Does the cost of IVF impact your level of negative stress?

1. No impact (10 votes [4.07%])

Percentage of vote: 4.07%

2. Increase (229 votes [93.09%])

Percentage of vote: 93.09%

3. Not sure (7 votes [2.85%])

Percentage of vote: 2.85%

Does paying for IVF impact your treatment plans?

1. Yes (199 votes [80.89%])

Percentage of vote: 80.89%

2. No (39 votes [15.85%])

Percentage of vote: 15.85%

3. Not sure (8 votes [3.25%])

Percentage of vote: 3.25%

Does the cost of IVF cause you to take higher treatment risks?

1. Yes (158 votes [64.23%])

Percentage of vote: 64.23%

2. No (42 votes [17.07%])

Percentage of vote: 17.07%

3. Not sure (46 votes [18.70%])

Percentage of vote: 18.70%

Should Provincial plans cover IVF funding?

1. Yes (241 votes [97.97%])

Percentage of vote: 97.97%

2. No (5 votes [2.03%])

Percentage of vote: 2.03%

Do you agree with funding under any of these conditions?

1. Single embryo transfer for all to age 43 (36 votes [14.63%])

Percentage of vote: 14.63%

2. Single embryo transfer for all to an age above 43 (13 votes [5.28%])

Percentage of vote: 5.28%

3. Single to age 34, two age 35-43 (110 votes [44.72%])

Percentage of vote: 44.72%

4. Single to age 37, two age 38-43 (44 votes [17.89%])

Percentage of vote: 17.89%

5. Not sure (37 votes [15.04%])

Percentage of vote: 15.04%

6. No, don't fund at all (6 votes [2.44%])

Percentage of vote: 2.44%

How many combined fresh/frozen cycles should be covered?

1. 1 (3 votes [1.22%])

Percentage of vote: 1.22%

2. 2 (27 votes [10.98%])

Percentage of vote: 10.98%

3. 3 (141 votes [57.32%])

Percentage of vote: 57.32%

4. more than 3 (72 votes [29.27%])

Percentage of vote: 29.27%

5. none (3 votes [1.22%])

Percentage of vote: 1.22%

If public funded service, under what priority?

1. First come, first served (69 votes [28.05%])

Percentage of vote: 28.05%

2. Age-factored criteria (19 votes [7.72%])

Percentage of vote: 7.72%

3. Cause-factored criteria (22 votes [8.94%])

Percentage of vote: 8.94%

4. Multiple factors (136 votes [55.28%])

Percentage of vote: 55.28%

If private and public funding options co-existed, would you....

1. Wait longer for public funded service (141 votes [57.32%])

Percentage of vote: 57.32%

2. Pay privately rather than wait (105 votes [42.68%])

Percentage of vote: 42.68%

Would public funding with long wait times..

1. Reduce your stress (49 votes [19.92%])

Percentage of vote: 19.92%

2. Create you more stress (113 votes [45.93%])

Percentage of vote: 45.93%

3. Make no difference to your stress level (84 votes [34.15%])

Percentage of vote: 34.15%

What is your primary reason for supporting a public option?

1. Public economics (17 votes [6.91%])

Percentage of vote: 6.91%

2. Private economics (21 votes [8.54%])

Percentage of vote: 8.54%

3. Principles of a public healthcare system (203 votes [82.52%])

Percentage of vote: 82.52%

4. I don't support public funding (5 votes [2.03%])

Percentage of vote: 2.03%

Vote Login to vote

#26 Rick

Rick

Test Again

• Adminoocyte
  • 6299 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 16 January 2011 - 11:41 AM

I ditto LMC's note about waiting. I was 33 when we got married and after 6 months of trying I was referred to our Clinic....after that it was another 5-6 months before we got an appointment and then another year before our first IVF treatment. By that time I was 36 and time was of the essence. Had I been younger I would have been able to stand the wait of a "public" system - in the private system I waited about 1 1/2 years so it's not all that fast!

Also wondering if you could clarify the "First Come, First Served" option. I took that to mean that there would be a limited amount of funding each year and the first to need it would get it.....I'm not sure if that's actually what you were getting at. My husband wondered if you meant - if you needed ART it would be paid for.

We were able to "afford" payment for services so, due to my age, I would be willing to pay providing the wait times were astronomically different between private & public.

:) Jen

Sorry Jen, I should've paid attention to your question.

What I'm asking is really would it be a matter of servicing people based on who arrives at the door first or should there be more to it? For example, if there is an 18 month waiting period should a 39 year old be given some priority for quicker treatment over, for example, a 25 year old? Should the 25 year old be on a 3 year waiting list and the 39 bumped up to a 6 month (example) or just everyone take a ticket and get called in chronological order regardless of other factors, like age?

#27 Hollie384

Hollie384
  • Cyclebase
  • 452 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Procrea Vaughan

Posted 16 January 2011 - 11:42 PM

This is gonna sound horrible, but as a 26 yr old who's already been TTC for almost 4 years, i'd be pretty frickin ticked if my wait was YEARS b/c others decided to wait until later in life to start TTC.

I think the answer to this question will vary greatly on your mileage :P
Me: 27, PCOS
DH: 29, Azoospermia

TTC since April 2007

Apr-Dec 2007 - Trying on our own
Dec 2007-Mar 2008 - Diagnosed w/ PCOS and hypothyroidism

June-Nov 2008 - Metformin + Clomid 50mg CD 5-9 (ovulated per bloodwork) x 6 cycles ... All BFN.

Feb 2009 - IUI #1 (Menopur) - 1 mature follicle ... Started to ovulate on my own - BFN

Nov 2009 - Approved for adoption in Ontario.

Nov/Dec 2010 - IVF/ICSI #1 (Puregon + Menopur + Orgalutron + Endometrin) - 2 day 5 blasts transferred - BFN - Abnormal sperm heads ... Possible chromosome issue ...?!

Feb/Mar 2011 - dIUI #1 (Puregon + Endometrin) - 1 mature follicle ... Started to ovulate on my own AGAIN!! - BFN

Aug/Sep 2011 - dIUI #2 (Puregon + Orgalutron + Endometrin) - 3 or 4 mature follicles + 22mil sperm !! - BFN

Oct 2011 - Starting CAS homestudy ... Maybe another IUI or IVF when we have the $$$ again ...

#28 Ope

Ope
  • Cyclebase
  • 2138 posts
  • My Clinic:Edmonton Fertility for now

Posted 19 January 2011 - 10:42 AM

This is gonna sound horrible, but as a 26 yr old who's already been TTC for almost 4 years, i'd be pretty frickin ticked if my wait was YEARS b/c others decided to wait until later in life to start TTC.

I agree. Although an additional 1-1.5 year waiting might result that 39 yr old never will able to have a children, so t is crutial that she get treatment fast. On the other hand, a 26 will feel angry if she has to wait extra year(s) because other women decded to started family later.
Also i am not even sure that the constitution would allow such referential treatment based on age. It may be viewed as discrimination based on age, which easily be challanged legally.
right now me : 37 Dh:40

TTC #1: natural TTC 1.5 yrs
Dh: 35, Severe Male factor infertility, morphology is 1-2%
Me: 32 , tubes open, no endo, regular ovulation, all hormones are good, 3rd day FSH 5.3 , antral follicle count is 12, only problem is my weight BMI: 30

IVF/ ICSI #1: 2008 February -McGill, Montreal
Long protocol: BCP for 1 month, burselin from CD21, 300 Gonal F and 150 Luveris for 10 days
ER: 11 egg , 6 mature , 5 fertilized, 3rd day transfer:a 7 cell & an 8 cell embyos, no frosties.
1st beta : 13dp3dt: 77, BFP
2008,November 19th: Adam has arrived 7 lb 4 oz, 21"

TTC #2: natural TTC 1.5 yr
Dh :39 morphology went up to 4%, we meet the IUI cutoff! count are fluctuating from 30 to 105 million, motility is great. Caryotyping is normal
Me: 36 FSH is slightly elevated and keep rising 8.5, 8.8, 8.9, 9.8 , AFC is still 12, everything else looks good.

IUI #1: Edmonton, 2011 January ,Clomid 50mg (x5), 106 mil ,68% motile, grade 4 :BFN
IUI #2: Edmonton, 2011 February, Clomid 50mg (x5), 30 mil, 57% motile, grade 3: BFN
IUI #3: Edmonton, 2011 March, Clomid 50mg (x5), 88 mil , 49% motile, grade 4: BFN
IVF#2: 2011 May, Edmonton: long protocol , nasal suprefact : CANCELLED due to high progresteron & cyst
IVF#3: 2011 August, Edmonton: short protocol/natural start: CANCELLED due to high progesterone
IVF#4: 2001 September, Edmonton: short protocol with BCP: CANCELLED due to high progresteron & cyst
Change clinic

IVF #5: 2012 March-April Hungary: stimulation starts march 28, 300 Menopur
mixed protocol: BCP for months, CD3: Menopur 300& lupron for 8 days
ER : April 8th , 4 eggs retrieved, all were mature and fertilized with ICSI and AH
ET : April 11th, 1 A quality 8 cell, and 1 A quality 4 cell embryo transferred, no frosties.
BFP on the HPT at 7dp3dt: happy 37th birthday to me :D
Beta: , 12dp3dt: 150, 2nd Beta, 15dp3dt: 550
Anna has arrived on 21st December after being induced at 39 week. She is 6 lb 9 oz, 20" , and has blue eyes, and long dark brown hair and just perfect !

#29 mouse

mouse

Honorary PhD

• Super Moderator
  • 7476 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:BKK/KWI/JHFC

Posted 19 January 2011 - 11:46 AM

And I guess I'm biased the other way - as someone who was married to a man who honestly believed he didn't want children until one day, suddenly, at age41/42 he realized he really, REALLY did. Given my ruptured tubes, we'd have been up the creek if our insurance (I'm a Cdn working in the states) hadn't covered us due to age (and in fact they DO have a cut off of 43, I just squeaked thru, but you can appeal on a case by case approach). It's easy to say 'oh she should have done it sooner' or to accept the commonly portrayed idea that women attempting IVF when over age 35 just "put it off "while they built careers, enjoyed material gains and a child-free life, but I've actually never met an over 35 IVFer for whom that was true (not to say they aren't out there). Most are women who desperately wanted children their whole lives but weren't married (a requirement of the insurance we have) or spent years on the 'relax'', 'try a vacation', fertility supplements, IUIs, etc, etc, etc before finally getting to IVF.

Clearly it's not a simple issue and in the end, it's likely to be unfair to some, one way or another.
The plural of anecdote is not data.

Charity gives a meal; justice provides a place at the table.

#30 Duck

Duck
  • Cyclebase
  • 1851 posts
  • Dx:Endometriosis
  • My Clinic:Repromed

Posted 19 January 2011 - 12:02 PM

On one hand, all other medical services in Canada are triaged, if you have a giant brain tumor, you will, hopefully get surgery before an elective procedure is done, so maybe fertility treatment should be triaged too?
Just a thought.

I honestly would still pay rather then wait, I was 28 when did my first ivf and we quickly moved to surrgoacy so obviously age is just one factor, and how messed up you are is another!

Diagnosed with endometrosis at age 19

5 pelvic surgeries

2 IVF, numerous FETs

2 different gestational carriers

Now mother of 2 year old twins.

#31 mouse

mouse

Honorary PhD

• Super Moderator
  • 7476 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 12:08 PM

Duck, I was thinking the same thing - maybe even a "points' system to help figure who goes next. You know X points for PCOS, X for tubal issues, X for sperm concerns, X for septums, X for age, etc, etc, etc. But then that might be hard on the undiagnosed crowd.

#32 mollygirl21

mollygirl21
  • Cyclebase
  • 1513 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 19 January 2011 - 12:11 PM

Wow Hollie, I'm really surprised to hear this. It seems like the same common misconception that much of the general public has about the reason many of us need IVF.

Many women who start IVF treatments in their mid to late 30's waited because they were TTC for years on their own or with other less invasive treatments. Or they couldn't afford it earlier. Or they weren't married. Or their issue is male factor. Or a multitude of other reasons.

It's unfortunate that so many people out there think IVF for women in their 30's is because they "chose" to wait to have children. I'm sure if you polled this membership, you'd find out that many of us 30 somethings did not arrive here by choice.
After 3+ years, my cycle history is quite long. For details on each cycle, please visit my "About Me" page

Trying since fall 2007
All tests show normal (we're "unexplained")

COH+IUI in Nov 08 = BFN
IVF # 1 Feb 09 - BFN
IVF #2 June 2009 - BFP
13 week u/s showed a missed m/c. Baby stopped developing around 8 weeks. Damn.

Moving on to adoption :)
March 22, 2010 - finished PRIDE classes
waiting to begin homestudy sometime in the next two years. That's not a typo - TWO YEARS
Feb 2012 - got a call that they are ready to start our home study...putting off all adoption decisions for at least 6 months because I am 2 weeks from my due date (see below)

Feb 2011 - we've been offered donor embryos! FET in a few months after preliminary tests are done...
FET June 2011:
May 7 - start suprefact and low dose aspirin (on CD21)
May 14 - AF started - super heavy and I'm super cranky. Headaches from the suprefact too
May 21 - starting Estrace and both of us start antibiotics
June 3 - u/s to check lining
June 8 - FET
June 21 - Beta is 564. June 24 Beta is 2286
July 12 - first u/s at 7w1d
Aug 18 - second u/s at 12w4d - everything looks great
Aug 30 - first prenatal appt
Oct 6 - 20w anatomy scan, could find out the sex!
It's a BOY!!
EDD is Feb 26, 2012
beautiful healthy baby boy born March 1, 2012 <3

My friend ButterflyKiss provided this quote from Laura Bush's book and I think it captures how many of us feel:"The English language lacks the words to mourn an absence... for someone who was never there at all, we are wordless to capture that particular emptiness. For those who deeply want children and are denied them, those missing babies hover like silent, ephemeral shadows over their lives. Who can describe the feel of a tiny hand that is never held?"

#33 Ope

Ope
  • Cyclebase
  • 2138 posts
  • My Clinic:Edmonton Fertility for now

Posted 19 January 2011 - 01:50 PM

On one hand, all other medical services in Canada are triaged, if you have a giant brain tumor, you will, hopefully get surgery before an elective procedure is done, so maybe fertility treatment should be triaged too?
Just a thought.

I honestly would still pay rather then wait, I was 28 when did my first ivf and we quickly moved to surrgoacy so obviously age is just one factor, and how messed up you are is another!

I think those triage priority is given based on medical condition such as severity of a cancer. Giving tirage based on age is a whole lot different issue.
I may actually even agree on priority of older women, but personal opinion one thing and being coflict with the constitution is another.

Maybe the priority could be some on measurable medical condition.
There are several indicator or diminishng ovarian reserve such as FSH, antral folliucle count, or AMH etc.
Actually that would be a much more justifiable medically as well morally. Women in early 40's and late 30's more likely have higher FSH , lower antral follicle count etc. So they most like will get prioriy this way.
However, there are women out there who experiencing premature overaian failure even in their 20's. If the priority on the waiting list is based on AGE , this women are screwed.
right now me : 37 Dh:40

TTC #1: natural TTC 1.5 yrs
Dh: 35, Severe Male factor infertility, morphology is 1-2%
Me: 32 , tubes open, no endo, regular ovulation, all hormones are good, 3rd day FSH 5.3 , antral follicle count is 12, only problem is my weight BMI: 30

IVF/ ICSI #1: 2008 February -McGill, Montreal
Long protocol: BCP for 1 month, burselin from CD21, 300 Gonal F and 150 Luveris for 10 days
ER: 11 egg , 6 mature , 5 fertilized, 3rd day transfer:a 7 cell & an 8 cell embyos, no frosties.
1st beta : 13dp3dt: 77, BFP
2008,November 19th: Adam has arrived 7 lb 4 oz, 21"

TTC #2: natural TTC 1.5 yr
Dh :39 morphology went up to 4%, we meet the IUI cutoff! count are fluctuating from 30 to 105 million, motility is great. Caryotyping is normal
Me: 36 FSH is slightly elevated and keep rising 8.5, 8.8, 8.9, 9.8 , AFC is still 12, everything else looks good.

IUI #1: Edmonton, 2011 January ,Clomid 50mg (x5), 106 mil ,68% motile, grade 4 :BFN
IUI #2: Edmonton, 2011 February, Clomid 50mg (x5), 30 mil, 57% motile, grade 3: BFN
IUI #3: Edmonton, 2011 March, Clomid 50mg (x5), 88 mil , 49% motile, grade 4: BFN
IVF#2: 2011 May, Edmonton: long protocol , nasal suprefact : CANCELLED due to high progresteron & cyst
IVF#3: 2011 August, Edmonton: short protocol/natural start: CANCELLED due to high progesterone
IVF#4: 2001 September, Edmonton: short protocol with BCP: CANCELLED due to high progresteron & cyst
Change clinic

IVF #5: 2012 March-April Hungary: stimulation starts march 28, 300 Menopur
mixed protocol: BCP for months, CD3: Menopur 300& lupron for 8 days
ER : April 8th , 4 eggs retrieved, all were mature and fertilized with ICSI and AH
ET : April 11th, 1 A quality 8 cell, and 1 A quality 4 cell embryo transferred, no frosties.
BFP on the HPT at 7dp3dt: happy 37th birthday to me :D
Beta: , 12dp3dt: 150, 2nd Beta, 15dp3dt: 550
Anna has arrived on 21st December after being induced at 39 week. She is 6 lb 9 oz, 20" , and has blue eyes, and long dark brown hair and just perfect !

#34 silverdollar

silverdollar
  • Cyclebase
  • 3483 posts
  • Interests:Outdoor sports and activities of all types.
    Kids, sewing, photography, cooking, growing stuff in my garden.
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:Victoria Fertility Centre

Posted 20 January 2011 - 02:02 AM

The downfall with prioritizing based on a measurable medical condition is what happens to the unexplained crowd? These folks often have serious fertility issues that just can't be measured. Sometimes IVF is diagnostic as much as treatment in these cases.

Unexplained IF/ DOR. Began TTC in 2008.
After a wild and crazy ride on the treatment train, our baby GIRL arrived on Jan 6, 2012
Hold on.... Surprise spontaneous just 7 months postpartum while still breastfeeding!!! Baby boy born May 2, 2013
My heart couldn't be more full :)

Full details are now in my profile "About Me" page

#35 Hollie384

Hollie384
  • Cyclebase
  • 452 posts
  • My Clinic:Procrea Vaughan

Posted 20 January 2011 - 07:10 PM

Mollygirl - I'm sorry if what i wrote offended you. I honestly did not mean to offend anyone.

As someone who has already done IVF for reasons not related to age, i KNOW there are MANY reasons people do IVF. And after doing IVF, we actually found MORE reasons to indicate us needing ART. I know. I get it. But i don't think using age as a strong indictor for who gets treated in what order is fair. Perhaps years TTC and other treatments tried should be taken into account ...? Or first come first served is equally as fair/unfair as anything else.

I don't know if there's anything FAIR about infertility and ART. It's not fair that we're infertile. It's not fair that we need ART or have to pay for it. And however they decide to sort out who goes first isn't going to be fair either. I don't think it's possible.
Me: 27, PCOS
DH: 29, Azoospermia

TTC since April 2007

Apr-Dec 2007 - Trying on our own
Dec 2007-Mar 2008 - Diagnosed w/ PCOS and hypothyroidism

June-Nov 2008 - Metformin + Clomid 50mg CD 5-9 (ovulated per bloodwork) x 6 cycles ... All BFN.

Feb 2009 - IUI #1 (Menopur) - 1 mature follicle ... Started to ovulate on my own - BFN

Nov 2009 - Approved for adoption in Ontario.

Nov/Dec 2010 - IVF/ICSI #1 (Puregon + Menopur + Orgalutron + Endometrin) - 2 day 5 blasts transferred - BFN - Abnormal sperm heads ... Possible chromosome issue ...?!

Feb/Mar 2011 - dIUI #1 (Puregon + Endometrin) - 1 mature follicle ... Started to ovulate on my own AGAIN!! - BFN

Aug/Sep 2011 - dIUI #2 (Puregon + Orgalutron + Endometrin) - 3 or 4 mature follicles + 22mil sperm !! - BFN

Oct 2011 - Starting CAS homestudy ... Maybe another IUI or IVF when we have the $$$ again ...

#36 mugwump

mugwump
  • 13 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 23 January 2011 - 01:58 PM

Another reason to fund IVF... Many couples who have infertility, esp "unknown" start their treatemtn with IUI and superovulation because it costs much less than IVF. The problem with this is that you can't control for how many eggs fertilize and implant. Most higher order multiples are form superovulation, not IVF. If IVF were funded, this wouldn't be as much of a problem, we would have reduced higher order multiples having to contemplate selective reduction and reduced numbers of women trying to carry triplets and more.

I suspect that if IVF were funded, or even partially funded, or maybe even funded weighted to your income, initially we would have a bubble in the wait lists but eventually, this would disappear as people got their treatment and capacity of clinics came into balance with demand.
  • papoose76 likes this

#37 AnnieT

AnnieT
  • 206 posts
  • Interests:Travel, music, gardening, cooking, renovating homes, DH & our dog Max
    Uninterested in Gonal F, Puregon, Repronex, Lupron, Estrace, endometrial biopsies, seeing yet another ultrasound on Facebook
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:Life Quest (had been at IVF Canada)

Posted 08 February 2011 - 07:44 PM

There are some interesting trends appearing. i.e I assumed that even with a longer wait, a public system would reduce stress. But it appears to be a stress creator (likely dependent on age).

My answer to that particular question was definitely age related. At 41 (in 2 weeks) I can't afford to not pay for IVF & get the ball rolling as fast as possible. Had I been 30 and answering this question, I'd go public & be willing to wait a year or two for treatment.
Me 41, DH 37
TTC - spring 2005
RE Consult spring 2006, testing throughout 2006
3 IUIs (clomide + injectables) spring & summer 2007
IVF/ICSI # 1 Feb/Mar 2008, OHSS, 12 retrieved, 11 fertilized, 3 transferred on day 3, AF within 5 days, 2 frosties
FET #1 June 2008 transferred both frosties, AF within 7 days
Spring 2008 started acupuncture 2 x weekly
Dec 2008 - more TCM - changed diet - eliminated gluten, dairy, caffeine & alcohol
IVF/ICSI # 2 Sept/Oct 2009, OHSS again, 17 retrieved, 12 mature, 11 fertilized, 2 transferred on day 3, AF within 12 days, 3 frosties - quality was far better than on first attempt
Nov 2009 - another consult with RE & referral to another clinic for additional testing
May 2010 - all results normal
FET # 2 July/Aug 2010 - 3 transferred
Aug 16, 2010 - BFN - First time I have made it without AF before Beta
Officially changed clinics
March 2011 - antagonist cycle, 8 embies, PGD results in 2 perfect blasts transferred. BFN 13 April. WTF is wrong with me???

#38 bk12

bk12
  • 88 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 02:24 PM

Added to the public funding debate - I hope that considerations are made for both men and women. At my clinic, OHIP will cover 3 cycles of IVF for women under 40 with blocked tubes - but there's nothing offered to men. My DH has CBAVD (missing his vas deferens) - and our only hope of conceiving a child together is with IVF. He was born this way - it's incredible to me that our health care system wouldn't offer some sort of assistance to help.
  • SandraDee likes this
Me: 29, DH: 29
Married 08-13-05
TTC: 3+ years
Oct.12, 2010 - found out DH has no sperm
Nov. 8, 2010 - blood work sent for genetic analysis
Nov. 27, 2010 - DH ultrasound to determine if blockage
Dec. 8, 2010 - found a 7mm cyst - possible blockage. Schedule follow-up with urologist
Jan. 13, 2011 - Consult with urologist - no blockage, instead DH has no vans deferens. CF testing for DH and I. IVF only possibility to conceive
March 2011 - Follow-up with urologist. DH and I not CF carriers
April 2011 - biopsy to check for sperm - they found some!! Such relief!!
June 2011 - Follow up to discuss first IVF cycle

#39 tabby

tabby
  • Cyclebase
  • 1336 posts
  • My Clinic:Genesis

Posted 12 February 2011 - 10:12 AM

I agree with all the statements that it is a medical condition, etc.

I have decided that I take issue with statements that women should be careful not to wait too long. Yes, there would be fewer problems if we all started ttc earlier. But I think distilling IF down to women's lifestyle choices is the same sort of blame-the-victim mentality that we are subjected to all the time. At 27 I didn't have a line up of men my age wishing to settle down and have babies. It's not just the women who are waiting. Why don't we blame the men for not starting families sooner? I actually believe that if anything is to blame (for starting a family late) it's social constructs like the fact that you can't afford a home without two established careers.

To me the only context in which it makes sense to not fund IF treatments (within reasonable age parameters) is if our public policy were anti-natal. If the gov't wants to decrease the birth rate then perhaps making funding decisions in that light - eg provide free birth control, don't fund ivf - is a kinder, gentler way than, well, China's one-child policy. But my impression is that if they've thought about it at all the gov't policy is pro-natal. In that case, ivf should be funded to help maintain a supply of native-born Canadians. I think we do want some of those, even if we also increase immigration.

Finally, I think it is entirely possible that some of our IF problems - low sperm counts in particular and I wonder about some female issues like endo - are caused by a failure of public policy to protect us from environmental contaminants. If there is any truth to this then a. the gov't should fund help before we get too angry about it and b. it may still be getting worse. I should probably look up some stats on whether the proportion of people affected is increasing. I know I saw something (perhaps from the documentary the Disappearing Male) that stated that the definition of normal sperm count has been substantially decreased in the last 30 years. Are more and more couples going to need treatment in the future?
  • Zeukko likes this
me: 41 dh:47
ttc from Sept 06
dx: endometriosis

Six clomid cycles including
two IUIs led to one pregnancy
that ended in m/c
IVF #1 in Jan/Feb 09 BFN
8 frosties

FET May 7, 09 BFP!!!
First u/s June 9 at 7w1d: a healthy singleton with a hb of 137bpm
August 20 (four months pg): It's a boy!
DS born February 4, 2010

#40 mollygirl21

mollygirl21
  • Cyclebase
  • 1513 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 12:16 PM

Tabby - you are absolutely correct - infertility is becoming a larger problem and more and more people are affected now and more will be. Our numbers are growing. The number of college age men with abnormal sperm is growing at a fast rate and it appears to be an environmental issue.
After 3+ years, my cycle history is quite long. For details on each cycle, please visit my "About Me" page

Trying since fall 2007
All tests show normal (we're "unexplained")

COH+IUI in Nov 08 = BFN
IVF # 1 Feb 09 - BFN
IVF #2 June 2009 - BFP
13 week u/s showed a missed m/c. Baby stopped developing around 8 weeks. Damn.

Moving on to adoption :)
March 22, 2010 - finished PRIDE classes
waiting to begin homestudy sometime in the next two years. That's not a typo - TWO YEARS
Feb 2012 - got a call that they are ready to start our home study...putting off all adoption decisions for at least 6 months because I am 2 weeks from my due date (see below)

Feb 2011 - we've been offered donor embryos! FET in a few months after preliminary tests are done...
FET June 2011:
May 7 - start suprefact and low dose aspirin (on CD21)
May 14 - AF started - super heavy and I'm super cranky. Headaches from the suprefact too
May 21 - starting Estrace and both of us start antibiotics
June 3 - u/s to check lining
June 8 - FET
June 21 - Beta is 564. June 24 Beta is 2286
July 12 - first u/s at 7w1d
Aug 18 - second u/s at 12w4d - everything looks great
Aug 30 - first prenatal appt
Oct 6 - 20w anatomy scan, could find out the sex!
It's a BOY!!
EDD is Feb 26, 2012
beautiful healthy baby boy born March 1, 2012 <3

My friend ButterflyKiss provided this quote from Laura Bush's book and I think it captures how many of us feel:"The English language lacks the words to mourn an absence... for someone who was never there at all, we are wordless to capture that particular emptiness. For those who deeply want children and are denied them, those missing babies hover like silent, ephemeral shadows over their lives. Who can describe the feel of a tiny hand that is never held?"

#41 Barbara

Barbara
  • Global 100+
  • 265 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 06:41 PM

I am a Quebec resident all my life and I have to say that if it were not for public funding there would be no way that I would have been able to have this chance to have a child. I am on my 2nd IVF treatment this time the doc did biopsies and scaping the uterius so we should have a better outcome. I am 41 so the clock is almost over.....So thanks to the gouvernment for finally waking up and realizing that we have medical conditions that prevent us from having families.....future tax payers that will in time pay their own taxes.....

I personally think that all provinices should pay for infertility treatments just as much as they pay for cancer, heart, mental treatments.

thanks Rick

Barb
IVF #1 BFN

IVF #2
AF January 3
BCP January 4
January 11 hysteroscopy and biopsies
January 25 Buserelin .05 2x a day & Gonal F 225 2x a day
1st Scan January 25
2nd Scan February 1 4 follicles
3rd Scan February 4 4 follicles look great ready for trigger..there may be more follicles
ER February 7 retrieved 7 eggs
1st fertilize call: only 4 mature only 2 fertilized grow eggies grow!
ET February 9 day 2 - 4 cell good grade + 3 cell average grade
Beta February 23 BFN

IVF #3
ER with donor yield 12 eggs - 3 mature and 9 immature....did ivm

#42 Kitty Holland

Kitty Holland
  • Global 100+
  • 134 posts
  • Dx:Cancer

Posted 27 February 2011 - 04:54 PM

I live in Holland and though it's not publicly funded, my health insurance covers 3 cycles standard as well as frozen embryo storage and all medication. So far I haven't paid anything. The rules are a lot stricter too. Light/short antagonist protocol is standard and only 1 embryo transferred up to age 35.

I can't imagine the stress of money on top of the regular IVF stress. It's unbelievable how much people pay for a round of IVF.

Me - 38 no fertility issues (except age now)

He 38  - cancer survivor / frozen sperm Sept. 2010 - U/S, blood

Sept. 2010 - normal

Oct. 2010 - given choice of IUI or IVF. Choose to try IVF straight off.

Oct. 2010 - put on waitlist for IVF - whatever that means!waiting to get the letter for start date - probably November/December 2010 

IVF #1 Jan 2011!!! Short/Light antagonist protocol

Jan. 2 - start PuregonJan. 6 - start Orgalutron

Jan. 7 - 1st Ultrasound: R: 1 11mm, 1 9 mm, other smaller / L: many smaller folls. biggest was 8

Jan. 11 - F/U US: R: 5 follies seen - biggest 17 mm, others 11-15 mm / L: 5 follies - biggest 13 mm, others 9-11 mm

Jan. 13 - 2nd F/U US R: 5 big follies 21 mm, others 14-16 some smaller / L: 5 follies biggest 16 mm, others 13-16 / lining at 11 mm

Jan. 15 - ER ---I don't know how many follies were aspirated, but we got 9 eggs!

Jan. 18 - 3 day transfer --- total of 4 embies (Albert, Barny, Charlie, and Dirk)/ one 8 cell transferred / two 8 cell and one 7 cell frosties

Feb. 2 - Official POAS Day (also Groundhog's Day though we don't have that holiday here) BFP!!! Really can't believe it! In shock! what a wait! No blood test to confirm BFP.

March 4 - FIRST US - wiggly bean measuring 9w1d (2 days ahead) with a strong heartbeat. Released from the RE! So happy!! 

Oct. 6 2011 - DD born healthy at 40 weeks via unplanned Csection

FET #1 May 2013 natural protocal

May 7 - CD12 lining check - 6mm

May 9 - CD 14 lining check - still 6 mm

May 11 -CD16 lining check - 6 GRRRRR!

May 14 - CD19 lining check - 8.4 and follicle is 16 - trigger Pregnyl 5000 IUMay 20 - transfer day!!

BFN

FET#2 August 2013 natural protocal (lining much better - it was 8.4 on CD13) --- BFN chemical

FET #3 November 2013 natural protocal BFN

IVF #2 January/Feb. 2014 - start meds late Jan. with transfer mid-Feb.

Jan. 28 - CD1

Jan. 29 - Start stims. GonalF 150

Feb. 2 - add Citroine??

Feb. 4 - First U/S R: 16,13,11 and a couple smaller L: hard to visualize, but biggest looked like 13. Lining at 10mm

Feb. 7 - 2nd U/S R: 9/10 follies. A couple at 17-16 and others smaller. L: hard to visualize biggest about 16. Lining triple striped at 10mm

Feb. 8 - trigger 10,000 PregnylFeb. 10 Retrieval (sedated this time!--- got 9 eggs same as last time!,)

Feb. 13 - 6 embies made it to day 3 (morula, 12, 10, 7, 7, 5)

Feb. 13 Day 3 transfer of 2 embies (12 cell and 10 cell)  

Feb 14: Day 4 freeze of 4 embies

Feb. 21: HPT BFP!! 8dp3dt th_abfp.gif yahoo.gif

Feb 22: BFP on digital (just to confirm)

Feb. 28: Call in HPT Result

March 28: 1st Ultrasound (8w4d)

#43 blueeyes082

blueeyes082
  • 38 posts
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:Repromed Ltd

Posted 18 April 2011 - 11:46 AM

under the question for ``funding under any of these conditions`` there should also be one for same-sex couples
TTC- May 2011
TTC- May 2011
March 2011: First consult with clinic
April 2011: Found our donor
April 2011: Had my Sonohysterosalpingogram. Everything is Normal
April 2011: Had a Transvaginal done. they said my follicles don`t seem to be growing. They said they hope they start in a few days
May 2011: Had a Transvaginal. I have 16 follicles.
May 2011: Been Put on `the pill` to kick start my period.
June 2011: Had a Transvaginal. I have 16 follicles.
June 2011: Been put on Clomiphene
June 2011: I have 5 mature follicles
June 2011: IUI#1: Had two IUIs done back to back
June 2011: Waiting to see if the IUIs took

Please check out my my Video Blog

http://www.youtube.c...r/jandjbabyblog

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#44 mouse

mouse

Honorary PhD

• Super Moderator
  • 7476 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 01:06 PM

blueeyes, not sure, and I may be missing your point, but I think the 'single' refers to number of embryos transferred - categorized by age - rather than to any sort of relationship status so I think just about anyone fits in regardless of relationship.

#45 Sweetheart

Sweetheart
  • Global 100+
  • 287 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 09:17 AM

Read this article in the Toronto Star:
http://www.thestar.c...milies#comments
TTC #1 since 04/06
2/07 First Clomid natural cycle = BFN
3/07 Second Clomid natural cycle = BFP, MC 5/07 at 8 weeks, D & C 5/07
07/07 Third clomid natural cycle= no sign of follicle but ovulation assumed by bloodwork = BFN
8/07 First Clomid + IUI cycle = BFN + complications
9/07-11/07 Unable to TTC due to recovering from injury
12/07 First Injectibles cycle (SC) (Puregon) + IUI = 1 mature follicle and a BFN
01/08 2nd Injectibles cycle (IM)(Puregon & Repronex), 2 follicles but not quite mature, IUI any way = BFN
02/08 3rd injectibles (IM) (Bravelle & Repronex), 2 follicles 21 and 14, IUI = BFN
03/08 4th injectibles (IM) (Clomid + Gonal F), 1 follicle, IUI x 4 days in a row = BFN
04/08 IVF#1 Lupron flare w/o BCP, Lupron+Bravelle+Repronex, 7 follies but only 1 matures +IUI=BFN
05/08 Break from injectibles: Femara + IUI = BFN
06/08 Break from injectibles: Femara + 1 follicle + IUI = BFN
07/08 6th injectibles: high dose gonal F: 1 follicle +IUI =BFN
08/08 IVF#2 with low dose repronex only: Surprise 3 follies, 15, 19, 21. 1 egg retrieved fertilized and Grade 1 8 cell transfered aug 19=BFN
BREAK of 6 months turned to 8: took accupuncture, lost 30 pounds, added exercise, turned 41, Day 3 FSH down from average 7 to 4, worked on marriage relationship strained from dealing with IF
05/09 IVF #3 Gonal F and menopur. 5 Follicles but none mature. Cycle canceled.
07/09 IVF #4 Known DE cycle, 10 follicles, 1 sad egg, no fertilization. WT*?
08/09 Started taking DHEA (why didn't I know of this before?)
01/10 IVF #5: Convert monitoring cycle to natural cycle IVF due to 2 mature follicles being observed on ultrasound
01/10 1 grade 1, 8 cell embryo transferred. BFN
04/10 Estrogen Priming Cycle was cancelled for some reason I forget. known DE planned
08/10 IVF #6 Estrogen Priming Cycle with massive doses of FSH = nothing = cycle canceled and told to go away.
09/10 Waiting for Known DE cycle with younger donor
12/10 Known DE backs out
02/11 IVF #7. 2 embryos, both transferred. HPT+ 8dp3dt!!!, Beta #1 14dp3dt 278, Beta #2 16dp3dt 604, Beta #3 18dp3dt 1158 (not quite doubled...), first ultrasound--> TWINS!! March 25 only one slow heartbeat. April 2 no growth, slow heartbeat, April 6 no heartbeats--miscarriage at 9 weeks. D&C.
7/11 FET #1 BFN
9/11 IVF #8 Sad looking embryos. 4 transferred on day 3. BFN. Advised to move onto surrogacy. d e v a s t a t e d and b r o k e
04/13 Adopted 2 blastocycsts: BFN. Sperm banked before DH treated for cancer..
11/13 Very last attempt. New clinic. DE. Add intralipids and viagra. 9 eggs, 5 mature, 3 fertilized, 1 made it to day 3. no surprise, BFN..
04/14 Second "very last attempt" with 4th DE IVF.
04/05/14 13 eggs eggs retrieved, 7 mature, 7 make it to blast, 2 transferred, 2 frosties, BFP!! First Beta 4/21/14 = 92; Second Beta 4/23/14 = 265; 3rd Beta 4/25 613. May 9 ultrasound, right on track 6 weeks 5 days and hb 113 bpm. .
05/13/14 bleeding. May 14 no heartbeat. May 16 D & C. Are we allowed to say F words on here?

#46 papoose76

papoose76
  • Cyclebase
  • 1015 posts
  • Interests:My only interest being on this site is to support and get support from women who know what this journey is like.
  • My Clinic:Heartland

Posted 27 April 2011 - 10:54 AM

Read this article in the Toronto Star:
http://www.thestar.c...milies#comments

I hate the ignorant comments that follow those types of articles. Makes me so mad. You just KNOW these are people who are not affected by infertility making those comments. Idiots. :th_aggahhh:
  • hazypeanut and Summerrose like this

Me (Nona): 36 DH (Greg):36 2 stepkids (age 12 & 14)
I have been a teacher since 2002.
TTC my first since 1999 (through 2 marriages)
One natural pregnancy (ectopic) May 21, 2009 :'(
IVF #1 (October 2010)
long protocol: 3 eggs retrieved, 2 fertilized and transferred. BFN.
IVF #2 (October 2011)
short flare protocol: 10 eggs retrieved, 9 fertilized, 2 transferred, 7 frosties.
BFP (beta- 112, then 133, then 31) lost the pregnancy :'(
HSG- December 20/11 (right side blocked w/ hydro at end, left side open)...
FET #1 (March 2012)
u/s on March 16th, transferred 3 embies March 23rd
beta on April 5th- BFN (less than 1.2)
4 frosties left.... need further implantation testing...
Lap on April 13th: removed what was left of right tube, freed up left tube. Hysteroscopy and lysis of adhesions.

Breakup of marriage, December/12... I am giving up on TTC.

#47 MB123

MB123
  • 52 posts
  • My Clinic:Create - (was Heartland)

Posted 29 April 2011 - 11:10 AM

With my current experience, I would like our health care system to be equal regardless of which province you live in. We have been TCC for 7 years. We've had 2 failed IVF and one failed FET with Heartland. At our last follow up apt, they mentioned that my quality is most likely the reason why we haven't been able to conceive and we should look at donated eggs. I am only 35 years. This came as a shock to us as this was never discussed with us in prior cycles. Had I known, would I have waiting 6 months to try another fresh cycle and then another 5 months to do the FET. Or would I have looked into a different clinic? In doing some research, MB didn't have a donor egg program, therefore I was refered to CREATE.

Now this is where I get frustrated with our system. The doctor there would like to run tests to eliminate any areas that could be causing my fertility problems before even going with the donor egg route. Which I completely encourage as I want to make sure this is the right route for us. If I can have children using my own eggs, why should I not be allowed?

They e-mail me a list of blood work to do. I send off to Heartland for them to request this way I'm covered under the Manitoba Heatlh plan...only to find out that I can't do the mojority of them in Manitoba. Either because of a 10-11 month wait time to get the results....or because those types of test are normally not done for my type of "illness" and Manitoba doesn't have the funding to cover it and they will give the doctor a hard time to get it done. So here I am going to Toronto to run these tests and it will cost me close to $1,400 to do.

I just can't understand why I have to suffer because I live in one province and not the other.

Sorry If I'm all over the place...but this issue really hits a nerve and it's hard for me to properly express how I feel

As for your question, would you wait for public funding or pay for private. I believe this is dependent of your age, the cause of your fertility and how long you've been TCC and how long you are willing to continue to wait. As many of us know...the only reason why we've been TCC for so long is because of the wait time between everything.
  • JacMac and Jane31 like this

me 36 DH 36

After 9 years TCC

2 laparoscopy for endometriosis
2 failed IVF
1 failed FET

2010 - Aug - started seeing a new acupuncturist
2011 - Switched clinics from Heartland to Create.
June 2011 - Went to Create to run new blood work, now waiting for results to see if we need donor eggs
July 2011 - rec'd results looks like we need to use donor eggs

#48 Jane31

Jane31
  • Global 100+
  • 167 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 10:47 PM

I think this poll implies that if ivf is publicly funded there will necessarily be an increase in wait times for IVF. I'm in Quebec and have been a patient at two different clinics. Neither one had a wait list for ivf.
  • gibasgirl likes this
Me: 34 DH: 42. TTC since March 2011.
IVF #1 Modified "natural" IVF with ICSI in Jan 2014. Egg fertilized, but embryo abnormal (3PN). Cycle cancelled.
IVF #2 Second modified "natural" IVF with ICSI in Feb 2014. Egg failed to properly fertilize. Cycle cancelled.
IVF #3 Started a traditional ivf cycle on April 10, 2014
FET - June 2014 - BFP!
Our girl is born = March 2015

IVF#4 - TTC a sibling
Fresh transfer - BFP on HPT at 6dp5dt!

#49 Reachforthesky

Reachforthesky
  • 16 posts
  • Dx:PCOS
  • My Clinic:Fertility Ontario

Posted 06 December 2016 - 12:02 AM

I wish the government would help out couples that are struggling with IF a little more... it seems to me like adoption is also becoming harder and there is no help there either. The government is helping families, single parents, young people by offfering more assistance and support so there is less children being placed for adoption (mind you this is great!) and then in public adoption they lean more towards reunification (which isn't always great in some cases). But if the government is helping families stay together then what about us that want a family and can't. :( I know in Ontario they do offer a funded cycle but I don't think it is fair for those that only had one to transfer none to freeze.. or none to transfer at all. And if funding is available in one province it should be across the board.