2 replies to this topic

#1 snowflake_888

snowflake_888
  • Global 100+
  • 506 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 11 December 2010 - 03:16 PM

Hi,

I'm desperately hoping you can help me. I am very confused and honestly don't know where to turn. My history is outlined in my signature below. As you can see I did my first IVF cycle in May and we got 18 eggs, 10 fertilized - we transferred 2 3-day embryos, BFN. Three of the embryos from this cycle made it to blast and were frozen. We transferred 2 blasts in October, BFN. We just did our second fresh cycle, ER was Wednesday and we found out Thursday that of the 12 retrieved, 5 were immature and the other 7 were all multinucleated (ranging from 3PN to 5PN).

We met with our RE yesterday and, unfortunately, she wasn't able to tell us too much, except that this was very rare. They are fairly stumped by this as well. She said it could be an issue with the sperm, eggs, more than one sperm may have entered the eggs or the eggs may not have divided as they were supposed to. They are still looking into the case and hopefully will have some direction for us going forward in the new year.

At this point, I am totally devastated and confused. I don't understand how within six months we can have such drastically different cycles. Does this mean my eggs are ALL abnormal and if so, why did we make 10 'normal' looking embryos last cycle, and even have 3 make it to blast? I'm thoroughly confused. Time is a huge issue for me at this point (I'm 37) and I just don't know where to turn. Do I do another cycle with ICSI at my same clinic and see what happens or do I switch clinics (not that the clinic did anything wrong because I have total faith in them - they have been amazing but they don't have the ability to do PGS at my current clinic) and I'm now worried that even if my next cycle with ICSI creates some 'normal', 2PN embryos, that there still may be something wrong with them for this to have happened this cycle (i.e if we do ICSI and it results in 2PN embryos, is it likely that there is still an underlying issue with my eggs? All of my eggs?)

I should also mention that there were a few multinucleated embryos with my first cycle (3 out of 18), but there were also a lot of 'normal' ones. My DH and I have both had karyotype testing done which was normal.

Please....any advice insight you can offer would be so appreciated. I'm feeling so desperate and lost.

Me: 39 Husband: 38
My Blog
DX: initially unexplained - discovered left hydrosalpinx - tube removed Sept 2011
TTC: 6 years
Miscarriage - June 2009 - natural pregnancy
IUI #1- December 2009 BFN
IUI#2 - February 2010 BFN
IVF#1 - May 2010
18 eggs retrieved
10 fertilized
Transferred 2 3-day embryos
BFN
3 frozen blasts
FET#1 - Oct 2010
Transferred 2 5-day blasts Oct 5, 2010
BFN - Oct 18, 2010
IVF#2 - Dec 2010
12 eggs retrieved
5 immature & 7 fertilized abnormally - ummm...confused
Fresh cycle no transfer - transferred 1 6-day blast from May cycle - BFN - Dec 24, 2010
Switched Clinics for IVF#3 - CCRM
March 10, 2011 - Phone consultation with new RE
March 24, 2011 - ODWU at CCRM (one-day work up)
April 18, 2011 - Day 3 Testing
May 2, 2011 - Follow-up phone call with RE
May 9, 2011 - Endometrial biopsy to test Beta-3 Integrin
May 12, 2011 - CD 1
May 14, 2011 - Start BCP
May 24, 2011 - HSG #2
June 16, 2011 - ER - 29 eggs retrieved
22 mature and 14 fertilized normally
8 made it to blastocyst - 4 biopsied for Comprehensive Chromosomal Screening (CCS)
1 genetically normal blastocyst

Sept 2011 - left tube removed due to hydrosalpinx

February 2012 - IVF#4 (second retrieval at CCRM) - two genetically normal blastocysts

July 25, 2012 - FET of two genetically normal blastocysts -BFP!!!

#2 Curks

Curks
  • Global 100+
  • 424 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:OFC

Posted 13 December 2010 - 09:09 AM

Snowflake I also had multinucleated embryos on our last two IVF cycles.

I know how devastating it is to go through all of what it takes to cycle and then be told none will be transferred back in because they are all abnormal. That happened in March 2010. In August 2010 we received the same phone call on Day 3 after ER but this time the RE said that they would take a chance and let them grow out until Day 5 and see if any would correct themselves. A few did and we had our first ET but it resulted in a BFN. Our RE also had no idea why this happened - it could be the sperm but sperm worse than my husband's has resulted in pregnancy, it could be an undiagnosed egg issue (all seems fine with me so far), or it could be that my eggs and his sperm don't get along well. The REs have no idea. We are moving on to donor sperm in 2011.

I wish I had some words of wisdom but I figured the second best thing is to know somebody else on this board knows precisely how you feel.
Me: 34 My husband: 36
TTC since November 2006
Diagnosed with severe male factor infertility in June 2009

Our ART journey
IVF#1 Fall 2009 - cancelled just before ER due to dangerously high estrogen level
IVF#2 Winter 2010 - 12 eggs retrieved, 5 fertilized, cycle cancelled just before ET due to abnormal embryos
IVF#3 Summer 2010 - 13 eggs retrieved, 12 mature, 12 fertilized, all abnormal on Day 3 but a few corrected themselves by Day 5, BFN
Done with IVF

Our adoption journey
Completed PRIDE in October 2010
SAFE Homestudy finished in December 2010
Chosen by a birth mom in March 2011
Brought beautiful baby girl home in May 2011
She became officially ours in April 2012
So blessed
Homestudy reapplication completed in July 2015
Would love to grow our family through adoption again

#3 snowflake_888

snowflake_888
  • Global 100+
  • 506 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 13 December 2010 - 06:19 PM

Snowflake I also had multinucleated embryos on our last two IVF cycles.

I know how devastating it is to go through all of what it takes to cycle and then be told none will be transferred back in because they are all abnormal. That happened in March 2010. In August 2010 we received the same phone call on Day 3 after ER but this time the RE said that they would take a chance and let them grow out until Day 5 and see if any would correct themselves. A few did and we had our first ET but it resulted in a BFN. Our RE also had no idea why this happened - it could be the sperm but sperm worse than my husband's has resulted in pregnancy, it could be an undiagnosed egg issue (all seems fine with me so far), or it could be that my eggs and his sperm don't get along well. The REs have no idea. We are moving on to donor sperm in 2011.

I wish I had some words of wisdom but I figured the second best thing is to know somebody else on this board knows precisely how you feel.

Thanks Curks,

I appreciate your reply. I'm just so baffled at what happened. Our first cycle was so different (and was only 6 months ago) - we got 10 normally fertilized eggs and 3 blasts, so we just never expected this and I'm just totally confused at this point.

Me: 39 Husband: 38
My Blog
DX: initially unexplained - discovered left hydrosalpinx - tube removed Sept 2011
TTC: 6 years
Miscarriage - June 2009 - natural pregnancy
IUI #1- December 2009 BFN
IUI#2 - February 2010 BFN
IVF#1 - May 2010
18 eggs retrieved
10 fertilized
Transferred 2 3-day embryos
BFN
3 frozen blasts
FET#1 - Oct 2010
Transferred 2 5-day blasts Oct 5, 2010
BFN - Oct 18, 2010
IVF#2 - Dec 2010
12 eggs retrieved
5 immature & 7 fertilized abnormally - ummm...confused
Fresh cycle no transfer - transferred 1 6-day blast from May cycle - BFN - Dec 24, 2010
Switched Clinics for IVF#3 - CCRM
March 10, 2011 - Phone consultation with new RE
March 24, 2011 - ODWU at CCRM (one-day work up)
April 18, 2011 - Day 3 Testing
May 2, 2011 - Follow-up phone call with RE
May 9, 2011 - Endometrial biopsy to test Beta-3 Integrin
May 12, 2011 - CD 1
May 14, 2011 - Start BCP
May 24, 2011 - HSG #2
June 16, 2011 - ER - 29 eggs retrieved
22 mature and 14 fertilized normally
8 made it to blastocyst - 4 biopsied for Comprehensive Chromosomal Screening (CCS)
1 genetically normal blastocyst

Sept 2011 - left tube removed due to hydrosalpinx

February 2012 - IVF#4 (second retrieval at CCRM) - two genetically normal blastocysts

July 25, 2012 - FET of two genetically normal blastocysts -BFP!!!