Can you guys tell or at least suspect

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5
  • 12 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 30 November 2010 - 07:56 PM

When I was working with my RE before I actually did the IVF to get my twins I made the comment that I wanted at least one girl - just in conversation and I would have been totally thrilled with boys too (I already had 3 boys and just thought a girl would be nice). I ended up with twin girls!!! and this time (I did a FET Nov 11) The dr kept talking about the embryos like they were boys - I just wondered if you guys can suspect gender just by looking or are there things boy embryos do that girls don't while growing or visa versa??

#2 sharlene

sharlene
  • Cyclebase
  • 1737 posts
  • My Clinic:USA

Posted 30 November 2010 - 08:23 PM

I'd be plenty surprised to hear that the embryologists can tell from looking at an embryo whether it is XX or XY - so this should be interesting.

#3 Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 10:10 AM

I doubt it too, I was just wondering if to the trained eye, there are any differences at that very early age. Maybe not scientifically proven just a hypothesis?

#4 knockmeup

knockmeup
  • 46 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Genesis

Posted 06 December 2010 - 11:26 PM

During one of my IVF's, we transferred one blast and the embryologist said he thought it was a boy based on the size (or something). They were doing some sort of informal study and it was more for fun than anything. I didn't get pg so I don't know if he was right.

#5 Peter

Peter

Embryologist

• 1000+
  • 3061 posts
  • Interests:Stem cells, cord blood and infertility
  • My Clinic:The Bridge Clinic, Lagos, Nigeria

Posted 07 December 2010 - 09:31 AM

When I was working with my RE before I actually did the IVF to get my twins I made the comment that I wanted at least one girl - just in conversation and I would have been totally thrilled with boys too (I already had 3 boys and just thought a girl would be nice). I ended up with twin girls!!! and this time (I did a FET Nov 11) The dr kept talking about the embryos like they were boys - I just wondered if you guys can suspect gender just by looking or are there things boy embryos do that girls don't while growing or visa versa??

No one can sex an ambryo just by looking at it. This just sounds like a figure of speech your RE uses, probably in preference to 'it'!

Good luck!

Peter
  • gibasgirl and Heathermomof5 like this
www.thebridgeclinic.com
www.wmin.ac.uk
www.smartcells.com

#6 Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 12:10 PM

I didn't think so but I figured it was worth an ask!! THANKS!!!!