vitrification question - Ask the Embryologist - IVF.ca Forums

Jump to content



Photo
- - - - -

vitrification question


  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 anytime now

anytime now
  • Cyclebase
  • 2561 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 27 November 2010 - 05:45 PM

My RE seems to be of the mind that transferring embryos sooner rather than later may be safest. I just did a day 3 transfer of 4 embyros at age 42. He was suggesting waiting until day 5 to freeze my two extra embryos (if they made it), which were to be vitrified. Ultimately, I got scared and froze them on day 3 as I figured if there was a risk taking my day 3 fresh embryos to day 5, I wouldn't wish to take that risk with my 2 extras to be frozen. Other than not knowing how good the quality is of those 2 vitrified day 3's, was there any other downside to my choice of vitrifying on day 3? At 42, I'm not holding out much hope that 2 frozen embyros will make a baby so don't worry about upsetting me with your answer please....

By the way, the 2 frozen were 8 cells and fell into the category of "less than 25%" fragmentation, which my RE still described as very good.

At 42, I'm guessing that an FET with just those two probably only gives me about a 5% live birth rate. Does that sound about right to you? If this doesn't work, I'm trying to figure out whether to go straight for another fresh cycle ASAP.


My clinic hasn't been doing vitrification long enough to have their own stats. I'm wondering what average thaw rates would be and if pregnancy rates are almost always better with vitrified embryos compared to the older method of freezing?

Thanks,

A.N.
Me: 44 (sigh) DB is 40 (Dear boyfriend!)

TTC from March 2009-March 2011 before DB had arrived on the scene
About 9 IUIs, 3 IVFs total

2 pregnancies with 7 week miscarriage requiring D&C
2 chemical pregnancies


April 2011 began a relationship now with a wonderful guy with an 8 year old son.
Sept 2011 Natural BFP while trying not to conceive (how ironic)
First Beta Day 15 from LMP was 851, Beta 4, 19 days post ovulation 5382
7wk US showed a heartbeat of 150! 9 wk US HB 185

May 19 2012 DS is born!!

#2 LisainSK

LisainSK
  • Global 100+
  • 440 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Saskatchewan
  • Dx:Genetic
  • My Clinic:Was RFP (Calgary) now CCRM (Denver)

Posted 28 November 2010 - 02:29 PM

Hang in there Anytime Now. At my clinic the vitrification rate is just over 97%. Meaning, 97% survive the vitrification "thaw" and have no damage. 8 cell Day 3s are good ones!!
Me (33) and DH (35)....married 10 years (small town sweethearts)

December 2006: TTC # 1
May 2007: DH S/A...normal.
September 2007: BFP au naturelle...holy smokes!
November 2007: M/C # 1 @ 12 wk. DNC reveals a Partial Molar Pregnancy.
January 2009: Referral to local OB/GYN
April 2009: Dx Unexplained. Referral to Calgary RFP.
May 2009: Clomid Cycle # 1...BFN
June 2009: IUI # 1 w/ Clomid # 2 and HCG...BFN
July 2009: Clomid Cycle # 3...BFP! Happy but terrified of another m/c.
September 2009: Worst fears confirmed...M/C # 2 @ 8 weeks
October 2009: IVF Orientation at Calgary RFP and on wait list.
January 2010: Dx (Me) Abnormal Karyotype (Pericentric Inversion Chromosome 16)
March 2010: RFP Referral/Consultation with Reprogenetics in New Jersey
March/April 2010: PGD/IVF success odds very low...20% estimated "normal embryos" per cycle and a 41% pg rate
May 2010: Consult with Dr. Schoolcraft of Colorado Center for Reproductive Medicine
June 2010: One Day Work Up @ CCRM (Denver, CO)
June 2010: Predicted Low Responder (Low AFC and AMH). Inversion in difficult spot...We're doing Donor Eggs!!
July 2010: Discovery that I am also a carrier of Fragile X...my eggs didn't have a chance.
July 2010: Annonymous Egg Donor chosen through CCRM
August 2010: Mock FET Cycle completed.
DE IVF # 1
September 2010: Donor Eggs retrieved. Blastocysts to undergo PCR genetic screeing.
October 21, 2010: U/S showing 9.9 mm lining with triple stripe; E2 = 1600 and 1397 US units
November 1st, 2010: FET # 1 (Elective Single Embryo Transfer - eSET)
November 10th, 2010: Beta HCG # 1 = 82, P4 = 23.1 US units
November 12th, 2010: Beta HCG # 2 = 186! BFP!!
November 17th, 2010: Beta HCG # 3 = 1461
November 19th, 2010: Beta HCG # 4 = 3740
November 26th, 2010 U/S: hb = 120 bpm, measuring 6w1d, actual gestation is 6w2d since transfer, CRL = 3.8 mm
Dec. 10th, 2010 U/S: hb = 180 bpm, measuring 8w2d - exactly 8w2d since FET, CRL = 1.8 cm
February 18, 2011: Anatomy scan
EDD = July 20th, 2011

June 28th, 2011 @ 3:19 AM MTN: Levi Darrell John born at 36w6d at 6lbs 14oz and 18" long. He is precious beyond measure.

Visit my blog at:

http://wantedonegood...o.blogspot.com/

February 2012: Bye Bye IVF.ca community...you are the reason I got to where I am today. I am forever reached via pm as my email alerts me. Take care all...wishing you all peace in your hearts soon.

#3 Peter

Peter

    Embryologist

  • 1000+
  • 3061 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London, UK
  • Interests:Stem cells, cord blood and infertility
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:The Bridge Clinic, Lagos, Nigeria

Posted 07 December 2010 - 09:23 AM

My RE seems to be of the mind that transferring embryos sooner rather than later may be safest.


many clinics think this way and often it makes sense

I just did a day 3 transfer of 4 embyros at age 42. He was suggesting waiting until day 5 to freeze my two extra embryos (if they made it), which were to be vitrified. Ultimately, I got scared and froze them on day 3 as I figured if there was a risk taking my day 3 fresh embryos to day 5, I wouldn't wish to take that risk with my 2 extras to be frozen. Other than not knowing how good the quality is of those 2 vitrified day 3's, was there any other downside to my choice of vitrifying on day 3?

no, I think that this wasa good decision in your case



At 42, I'm not holding out much hope that 2 frozen embyros will make a baby so don't worry about upsetting me with your answer please....

By the way, the 2 frozen were 8 cells and fell into the category of "less than 25%" fragmentation, which my RE still described as very good.

They do sound very good

At 42, I'm guessing that an FET with just those two probably only gives me about a 5% live birth rate. Does that sound about right to you?

A little low, I would say 10-15%.


If this doesn't work, I'm trying to figure out whether to go straight for another fresh cycle ASAP.


My clinic hasn't been doing vitrification long enough to have their own stats. I'm wondering what average thaw rates

at least 80% of embryos should thaw well


would be and if pregnancy rates are almost always better with vitrified embryos compared to the older method of freezing?


No it depends on the clinic and its' experience

Good luck!

Peter


Thanks,

A.N.


www.thebridgeclinic.com
www.wmin.ac.uk
www.smartcells.com