3 replies to this topic

#1 argylesox

argylesox
  • 34 posts
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:AART

Posted 18 November 2010 - 11:09 AM

Hi,
We are embarking on our first IVF/ICSI cycle, and are currently grappling with whether to transfer one or two embryos. We're both leaning towards 1, and our RE has recommended this. I'm unsure, though, given the substantial costs -- physical and financial -- of each cycle.

Can you recommend reliable sources of information to help inform this decision? I've done some web searching, but haven't really found what I need to help me make this decision. I'm looking for statistics and perspectives on success rates when transferring one versus two, or anything else you think might help us make this decision.

Thanks in advance!
Me: 36
DH: 40

TTC #2 since March 09
IVF Cycle #1 -- Nov/Dec 2010 -- Cancelled
IFV Cycle #2 -- May/June 2011
May 10 -- Suprefact
May 27 -- stims
June 5 -- 14 follicles at 10mm, estrogen at 4270
June 10 -- ER: 20 harvested, only two fertilized
June 13 -- One transfered
June 29 -- Beta, fingers crossed!

Mom to a busy but happy 3-year-old boy and cuddly, snuggly 6 year old pooch. :-)

#2 Luckypenny

Luckypenny
  • Cyclebase
  • 1837 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Markham Fertility Centre

Posted 19 November 2010 - 10:15 AM

I don't have any studies to reference, but for us factors that I considered when electing to transfer a single embryo were the increased risks for both mom and babes with twins. It's harder physically for a mom to carry twins. It is also harder to carry to full term, which may have health implications for the babies. I knew with my size (5'2", 110lbs prior to pregnancy) I would have really struggled to carry two babies to full term and a healthy birth weight. For a larger person (taller, heavier frame - I'm very slight- someone who has wider shoulders, hips, etc. may not have as much difficulty carrying the weight) it may not be such a factor. Another thing we considered was that this was our first ivf and we were unexplained. Also, the quality of the embryos at transfer, and my age (34). If the embryos had been lower quality than they were or if I had been older, those would have been factors that would have influenced our decision. Even with studies, these are good factors to consider.

Good luck with your decision, it is a difficult one!

#3 Peter

Peter

Embryologist

• 1000+
  • 3061 posts
  • Interests:Stem cells, cord blood and infertility
  • My Clinic:The Bridge Clinic, Lagos, Nigeria

Posted 21 November 2010 - 11:32 AM

Hi,
We are embarking on our first IVF/ICSI cycle, and are currently grappling with whether to transfer one or two embryos. We're both leaning towards 1, and our RE has recommended this. I'm unsure, though, given the substantial costs -- physical and financial -- of each cycle.

Can you recommend reliable sources of information to help inform this decision? I've done some web searching, but haven't really found what I need to help me make this decision. I'm looking for statistics and perspectives on success rates when transferring one versus two, or anything else you think might help us make this decision.

Your RE has confidence that the lab is producing embryos of the quality required for SET. I would go with SET. There is no link between embryo number and success rate.

Good luck!

Peter

Thanks in advance!

www.thebridgeclinic.com
www.wmin.ac.uk
www.smartcells.com

#4 angelgirl

angelgirl
  • 35 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 01:17 PM

Argylesox - we are also strongly considering eSET. Here are two sources I found which were very helpful:

http://www.sogc.org/...241CPG1004E.pdf (a Canadian clinical practice guidelines document, co-authored by one of the doctors at the AART clinic)

http://www.bioethics...yo Transfer.ppt (a discussion of some of the moral implications of eSET, which are well worth thinking about. One of the investigators on this project, Francoise Baylis, is an extremely well-respected bio-ethicist working out of Dalhousie)