• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 anytime now

anytime now
  • Cyclebase
  • 2561 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 31 October 2010 - 10:59 PM

My first cycle I had 225 Gonal F and 75 of Luveris, but it was later hypothesized that Luveris is the reason why, even with an AFC of 17, I only had 4 follicles respond.

My last medicated cycle (same dose of stims, but no Luveris), my results surprised my RE who thought that I would never get more than 4 to 6 follicles. I had 6 follicles over 15mm, and 4 more between 13 and 15mm on CD11. However, on this day my LH was at .34 (it dropped below 1 on CD8) and estrogen was at 1870 and P4 at 4.17. If I had chosen to convert to IVF, they say they would have triggered on CD12

This upcoming IVF cycle, I will have Dexamethasone added to the mix, and was told that LH would be added if I go below 1.0.

I'd like to understand what LH and estrogen levels mean and if there is a clear correlation with egg quality. I know they don't want my LH below 1 (but don't know why, exactly). What am I looking for with Estrogen (and progesterone, if applicable)?

I'm also curious if this past cycle have been good to convert into IVF (if I could turn back time) or did my LH and estrogen levels suggest that my embryos would likely have been of lesser quality?

Thanks,

A.N.
Me: 44 (sigh) DB is 40 (Dear boyfriend!)

TTC from March 2009-March 2011 before DB had arrived on the scene
About 9 IUIs, 3 IVFs total

2 pregnancies with 7 week miscarriage requiring D&C
2 chemical pregnancies

April 2011 began a relationship now with a wonderful guy with an 8 year old son.
Sept 2011 Natural BFP while trying not to conceive (how ironic)
First Beta Day 15 from LMP was 851, Beta 4, 19 days post ovulation 5382
7wk US showed a heartbeat of 150! 9 wk US HB 185

May 19 2012 DS is born!!

#2 Peter

Peter

Embryologist

• 1000+
  • 3061 posts
  • Interests:Stem cells, cord blood and infertility
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:The Bridge Clinic, Lagos, Nigeria

Posted 02 November 2010 - 08:24 AM

My first cycle I had 225 Gonal F and 75 of Luveris, but it was later hypothesized that Luveris is the reason why, even with an AFC of 17, I only had 4 follicles respond.

It is possible....

My last medicated cycle (same dose of stims, but no Luveris), my results surprised my RE who thought that I would never get more than 4 to 6 follicles. I had 6 follicles over 15mm, and 4 more between 13 and 15mm on CD11. However, on this day my LH was at .34 (it dropped below 1 on CD8) and estrogen was at 1870 and P4 at 4.17. If I had chosen to convert to IVF, they say they would have triggered on CD12

This upcoming IVF cycle, I will have Dexamethasone added to the mix, and was told that LH would be added if I go below 1.0.

I'd like to understand what LH and estrogen levels mean and if there is a clear correlation with egg quality. I know they don't want my LH below 1 (but don't know why, exactly).

High usually means poor eggs. Oestradiol is produced by each follicle and in general terms it is good to see levels of 150-200 per follicle

What am I looking for with Estrogen (and progesterone, if applicable)?

See above. Progestorne should be low during the stimulation phase of the cycle.

I'm also curious if this past cycle have been good to convert into IVF (if I could turn back time) or did my LH and estrogen levels suggest that my embryos would likely have been of lesser quality?

You certainly could have tried IVF....

Good luck!

Peter

Thanks,

A.N.

www.thebridgeclinic.com
www.wmin.ac.uk
www.smartcells.com

#3 anytime now

anytime now
  • Cyclebase
  • 2561 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 04 November 2010 - 12:10 AM

Hi Peter,

I'm not fully clear on what you've said below. I think my LH has been low (Under 1 from CD8 until trigger). Are you saying it is high LH which is associated with poor quality eggs, but low is not? If so, what does a low level mean?

I'm also a bit confused about estrogen still. I was at 1870 on trigger and was told that probably meant 2-3 mature eggs. If they were correct, then how does the math work on that? Seems to me if I had 3 mature eggs, by your description below, my estrogen should only have been 450-600

What should progesterone stay below too please?

Any other clarifications would be appreciated! Perhaps you could use Italics to make it easier to find your clarifications?

Thanks a lot!

A.N.

I'd like to understand what LH and estrogen levels mean and if there is a clear correlation with egg quality. I know they don't want my LH below 1 (but don't know why, exactly).

High usually means poor eggs. Oestradiol is produced by each follicle and in general terms it is good to see levels of 150-200 per follicle

What am I looking for with Estrogen (and progesterone, if applicable)?

See above. Progestorne should be low during the stimulation phase of the cycle.

You certainly could have tried IVF....

Good luck!

Peter

Thanks,

A.N.

Me: 44 (sigh) DB is 40 (Dear boyfriend!)

TTC from March 2009-March 2011 before DB had arrived on the scene
About 9 IUIs, 3 IVFs total

2 pregnancies with 7 week miscarriage requiring D&C
2 chemical pregnancies

April 2011 began a relationship now with a wonderful guy with an 8 year old son.
Sept 2011 Natural BFP while trying not to conceive (how ironic)
First Beta Day 15 from LMP was 851, Beta 4, 19 days post ovulation 5382
7wk US showed a heartbeat of 150! 9 wk US HB 185

May 19 2012 DS is born!!

#4 conky

conky
  • Global 100+
  • 746 posts
  • Dx:DOR

Posted 04 November 2010 - 07:34 PM

Maybe Peter is referring to different units of measurement...pg/mL versus pmol/L. It's a conversion rate of 3.671 so that would put your numbers in the range he referenced.