positive experience

• Please log in to reply
283 replies to this topic

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 09:33 PM

Hi Andia,

I just found this forum and that's why I'm jumping in your discussion here. I've been cycling at UBC and had two failed ICSI cycles so far and my first frozen cycle next week. I really like the nurses and Dr. Rowe. But the procedures are not done aby Dr. Rowe only. Each doctor has days that does the procedure so it can be a different doctor each time.

One thing that really sucks at UBC is the counsling service. They say that the fees are covering 3 counsling sessions but whenever I called them they were not availbale and returned my call after 4 days!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hi kabi9~
There are new counsellors now. I just one last week and she is fantastic. their names are: Janna Glassman and now I forget the other one.
Janna can be reached at her other office- (604) 696-1696. If you have paid for IVF, then these counsellors are included in the "deal". I only had to wait a couple of days before i could see her. she comes to the clinic a couple of times a week, or you could see her in her office on broadway. i hope that helps.
i find the majority of the staff there very nice.
good luck! i am waiting for my beta on august 12th after they switched me to iui. haven't been able to make it through an ivf cycle yet, but still hopeful......

#27 Guest_kabi9_*

Guest_kabi9_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2005 - 01:42 AM

Thank you Trish,

It's really good to have a good counsling service. I might give her a call to see if I can see her before my transfer or during my 2WW.

Hi Andia,

I just found this forum and that's why I'm jumping in your discussion here. I've been cycling at UBC and had two failed ICSI cycles so far and my first frozen cycle next week. I really like the nurses and Dr. Rowe. But the procedures are not done aby Dr. Rowe only. Each doctor has days that does the procedure so it can be a different doctor each time.

One thing that really sucks at UBC is the counsling service. They say that the fees are covering 3 counsling sessions but whenever I called them they were not availbale and returned my call after 4 days!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hi kabi9~
There are new counsellors now. I just one last week and she is fantastic. their names are: Janna Glassman and now I forget the other one.
Janna can be reached at her other office- (604) 696-1696. If you have paid for IVF, then these counsellors are included in the "deal". I only had to wait a couple of days before i could see her. she comes to the clinic a couple of times a week, or you could see her in her office on broadway. i hope that helps.
i find the majority of the staff there very nice.
good luck! i am waiting for my beta on august 12th after they switched me to iui. haven't been able to make it through an ivf cycle yet, but still hopeful......

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 12:08 AM

hi kabi, how is it going? did you call the counsellor? I hope so, and also that you are feeling hopeful, healthy and on your way to a bfp.
i am very impatiently waiting until the beta on friday. cautiously hopeful but the chance is so small for me, at my age and with only one follicle and MF..
andia, how are you? anxiously awaiting september i'm sure.

good luck to everyone on fulfilling our dreams!
p

#29 andia

andia
  • Global 100+
  • 569 posts
  • Dx:Tubal

Posted 09 August 2005 - 05:27 PM

Hi Girls,

Well, I've decided to stick with ubc! I am going to having lap surgery in a month to remove my bad tube and then I start IVF at the end of Sept or Oct depending on my protocol. I am so scared/excited. I really hope it works!! Hopefully it works for all of us!

TTFN!
andia

fa8uog.gif

#30 Guest_kabi9_*

Guest_kabi9_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2005 - 01:09 AM

Hi Trish,

I didn't call the counsler yet. I had my transfer on August 8 and my test will be on August 22. This was a frozen cycle for me. I will probably need to call her if I get a BFN.

And you have your test tomorrow. Best of luck to you and let us know about it. My thoughts will be with you tomorrow.

Take care.

#31 andia

andia
  • Global 100+
  • 569 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 02:19 AM

Good luck Kabi and Trish!! :crsd: :crsd: :crsd:

Keep us posted!

fa8uog.gif

#32 Natiko

Natiko
  • 1000+
  • 1074 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 12 August 2005 - 09:43 AM

I wish both of you the best of luck too!!!!! :crsd: :crsd:

Shawn

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 05:04 PM

Hi

I have been through cycles at both Genesis and UBC. I would reccommend UBC and I would warn against Genesis. I guess everyones experience is different.

The difference for me is the closer monitoring and access to doctors at UBC. Genesis provided far less monitoring and completely restricted access to speaking to doctors if you had questions that you felt were not adequatley answered by the nursing staff. I guess monitoring and access cuts in to profit margins.

I ended up far too stimulated and had OHSS which was completely unessecary if my estrogen had been monitored more frequently and I had been given more frequent ultrasounds. It was more of a hassle to go to the UBC clinic more frequently than I had to go the the Genesis clinic but it paid off because my cycle was far more comfortable and I did not end up with OHSS.

I would also be careful about the underlying assumptions in the statistics before comparing them.

Good luck everyone.

#34 andia

andia
  • Global 100+
  • 569 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 11:49 PM

Hi Caissie,

So, you go to ubc?? Cool! Who's your dr? Are you cycling now?? I am going to be doing my first ivf in Oct-ish, so nervous. I'm seeing dr R. I like him alot, so far.

Good luck, keep in touch with us ubc'ers!

andia :)

fa8uog.gif

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 12:01 PM

Hi Andia,

I am at UBC for my current cycle. My doctor is Dr. Rowe but some of my ultrasounds have been done by Dr. Cheung who is also very good. Both are great good about taking time to answer questions and explain things. I just had implantation yesterday. I did the shorter cycle that starts on day 3 of your cycle rather than day 22 of the previous cycle. Your doctor will know which protocol is best for you.

This cycle has been very easy. The difference for me is the lower estrogen levels. In my "non-medical" opinion, i would prefer to keep the level lower even though it may mean less eggs. It makes the cycle more comfortable (far less bloating, discomfort, and potential complications). I strongly suspect that my first cycle at Genesis did not work becuase they had me extremely over-stimulated (twice what other clinics reccommend) which produced a very large number of eggs but left my body in a condition that it was likely to reject the embyros.

I had seven eggs, five of which fertilized well, instead of eighteen but I felt good after ER rather than severe discomfort and a nine pound weight gain (fluid) from the over stimulation. Today I am tired and a little crampy but otherwise feel perfectly normal.

Enjoy your experience at UBC and keep an positive attitude.

Let me know how it goes.

Cassie

#36 andia

andia
  • Global 100+
  • 569 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 11:46 PM

Thanks for the reply Caissie,

It's so nice to hear from other ubc girls. There seems to me that there are alot more girls in Van that go to Genesis... so it's nice to chat with someone who goes to the same clinic. :)

So you used to go to G? That sucks that you got so overdosed there. Did you get ohss? I guess your experience at ubc is better in that sense.

I will be keeping my fingers crossed that you get a BFP! :crsd:

Good luck! Keep me posted!

andia :flowers:

fa8uog.gif

#37 andia

andia
  • Global 100+
  • 569 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 02:19 PM

HI Caissey!

Any news for us yet? GOOD luck!!! andia :flowers:

fa8uog.gif

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 09:37 PM

Hi Andia,

No news yet but thanks for asking. I am half way through my 2 week wait. The first week went quickly but it is getting difficult to stay positive now. I keep expecting to feel something but I dont. It may be perfectly normal not to feel anything. This week will be much harder. I am keeping busy at work so hopefully the time will move faster starting Monday.

When do you start?

Cassie

#39 andia

andia
  • Global 100+
  • 569 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 11:28 PM

Hey Caissey,

I am starting probably this week... synarel that is. I am kinda nervous about the whole process. It's my first one, so it seems a little overwhelming. May I ask why you are having ivf? I am because of a blocked tube.

I will be thinking of you, good luck! Let me know!! :crsd: :crsd:

fa8uog.gif

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 03:49 PM

Hi Andia,

We are doing IVF because of poor morphology with the sperm. The count is great but only 1% have normal morphology. I dont really understand the implications of this diagnosis becasue I dont think the medical community has done exntensive research in this area so the docs dont really have many answers. If I were younger we may try naturally for a few years but we both have been very busy with our careers and didnt start trying until 36. Who knew it would be this difficult.

Cassie

#41 andia

andia
  • Global 100+
  • 569 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 09:09 PM

Hi Cassie,

Just dropping in to say hi. How are you doing?

Chow,

andia

fa8uog.gif

#42 zoecat5

zoecat5
  • 51 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 12:06 PM

Hi ladies,

Can I join your discussion? :)

DH and I are going for our first appointment on October 3rd with Dr. Bev (or Beth?) Taylor.

I had a m/c last October and a d&c and have been trying ever since with no results. I've had all the blood work, hsg, etc and all was ok. My DH sa was a bit off for viscocity.

I was supposed to be referred to Genesis, but my paperwork was sent to UBC in error, and I decided I would try them out and see how it goes (I can always switch as Genesis now has my referral as well).

Have either of you heard or met Dr. Taylor?

How are your experiences going? I have no idea what they're going to suggest or what to expect at the first appointment, except going over our questionaires. Will they do a physical exam on me at the first appointment?

Thanks in advance for answering all my silly questions :)

Karen
Karen
Me - 38
DH - 40
m/c Oct 13/04 - blighted ovum at 12 weeks
August '05 - bloodwork and SA a-okay
August '05 - HSG - clear (? - apparantly not!!!!)
November 10/05 - HSG - hydrosalphinx in left tube, almost completely blocked
November 28/05 - laproscopy - left tube scarred to ovary and bowel - scarring removed, bowel and ovary freed, and tube reopened
TTC for 4 months, then back to the RE
Started acupuncture and Traditional Chinese Herbs December 6/05
Started Superovulation + IUI in July/August 06 = BFP - baby Elizabeth born April 12/07

#43 andia

andia
  • Global 100+
  • 569 posts

Posted 25 September 2005 - 10:01 PM

Hi Karen,

I have just started my first ivf cycle with ubc this month as I have tubal issues. I really like the clinic so far. The staff is very nice and informative and my dr is Dr Tim Rowe and he is also very nice. I have nothing negative to say about my experiences so far. I think Genesis is a good clinic as well, but it is private, so more of an office setting.
I haven't heard of Dr. Taylor. How do you like her? I didn't have a physical the first appt. just a sit down and go over our history. I would suspect that they may want to do some more b/w and maybe they will suggest doing IUI's since you did get pg before... or maybe they will say that you can try ivf? I'm not sure your age, but I doubt it unless getting older than say 38 or 39.

I hope this helped. Anytime you have ? let me know, I will try and help.

Keep me posted!! Good luck!!

fa8uog.gif

#44 Natiko

Natiko
  • 1000+
  • 1074 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 27 September 2005 - 02:18 PM

Hi you guys,

Just popping it :D . I wanted to see if there were any more positives on here from UBC. I wonder how Cassie is, I hope she got a BFP!!

Karen - I've never heard of Dr.Taylor, either, is she new? I hope all goes well for you, good luck!!!

Andia - how are you doing?! I hope everything is going smoothly for you, any possible date for E/R for you yet?

Oh speaking of Dr.s... <_< I was having my u/s's done by Dr.Allaire, she has THEE worst bedside manner. I thought dh was going to reach across the table and sock her one :P when she was doing an u/s for me one day. Awful. Even the nurse (Lillian) admitted that she doesn't like to "talk much", that's just super when you're asking how everything is looking :wall: . lol

All the best of luck to you guys!!!!

Shawn

#45 zoecat5

zoecat5
  • 51 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 07:45 PM

Thanks Andia and Shawn.

I appreciate the info and will post again after my first appointment (next Monday).

I'm guessing Dr. Taylor is new.

By the way, I'm 36 and DH is 38.

Karen
Karen
Me - 38
DH - 40
November 28/05 - laproscopy - left tube scarred to ovary and bowel - scarring removed, bowel and ovary freed, and tube reopened
Started Superovulation + IUI in July/August 06 = BFP - baby Elizabeth born April 12/07

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 September 2005 - 12:43 AM

Hello!

Just dropping in to keep my fingers crossed for andia, cassie and zoecat5! All the best, I hope your cycles go well and you get BFP's!!!

Kiisu

#47 andia

andia
  • Global 100+
  • 569 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 02:25 AM

Thanks Kiisu :) Congrats to you on your bfp! Wishing you all the best with your TWINS! Lucky Duck!

andia

fa8uog.gif

#48 zoecat5

zoecat5
  • 51 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 10:31 PM

Hi ladies,

I had my first appointment at UBC this morning. Dr. Beth Taylor is nice - she's a gyne dr. that is a clinical fellow at the clinic. I think this means she's training to be an RE. Anyhow, if I get to IVF, Dr. Rowe will be taking over. She wants to redo the HSG I had done in August (as they thought my right tube may have been partially blocked). I had it done at RCH in New West, and she wants me to go to Laurel Radiology near VGH where they do lots of HSG's. She gave me a 3 month prescription for clomid (100mg). Because we have unexplained secondary fertility (no idea why we're not pregnant again (I had a m/c last October @ 12 weeks)).
Karen
Me - 38
DH - 40

#49 zoecat5

zoecat5
  • 51 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 10:33 PM

Hi ladies,

I had my first appointment at UBC this morning. Dr. Beth Taylor is nice - she's a gyne dr. that is a clinical fellow at the clinic. I think this means she's training to be an RE. Anyhow, if I get to IVF, Dr. Rowe will be taking over. She wants to redo the HSG I had done in August (as they thought my right tube may have been partially blocked). I had it done at RCH in New West, and she wants me to go to Laurel Radiology near VGH where they do lots of HSG's. She gave me a 3 month prescription for clomid (100mg). Because we have unexplained secondary fertility (no idea why we're not pregnant again (I had a m/c last October @ 12 weeks)).

She said our chances each cycle are about 10% on our own, and that clomid + IUI wouldn't increase the chances that much. I could do superovulation + IUI for $1500 and increase the chances to 15% or IVF for $7500 and increase the chances to 40-45%.

Big decision. I am at the point where I just want a baby (or babies) and don't want to fool around any more. I'm considering just doing IVF - did you ladies have to wait long to do the IVF? I don't know if there's a waiting list or not.

I'm heading off for vacation and so will have one more unmedicated cycle before my HSG. Then I'll have to decide what we're going to do.

Any suggestions?

Karen
Karen
Me - 38
DH - 40

#50 andia

andia
  • Global 100+
  • 569 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 11:04 PM

Hi Karen,

Good to hear that Dr. Taylor was nice. In my opinion, not that I am an expert, you should wait and see what the hsg says before deciding on ivf or not. I went to Laurel clinic too and found out I had a blocked tube, so I knew ivf was the best decision for us. If your tubes are clear, and your are under 35, why not try the clomid/IUI for a month or 2 then if it doesn't work, go to super O/IUI a few times and then move on to IVF as a last resort?

It won't take long to get in to see Dr. R. if you decide to go straight to ivf. Since you're a patient at the clinic, it shouldn't take more than a few weeks to get in to see him. It took me a month to get into see him from my family dr's referral.

Take some time to think about what is right for you, listen to your gut. I know how it feels to want to get the ball rolling, but I have learned that patience is virtue when going through all this!! Trust me!

At least your headed in the right direction and starting the process!!

Good luck, let us know what you decide!

Andia
:flowers:

fa8uog.gif