positive experience

• Please log in to reply
283 replies to this topic

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 09:55 PM

Hello,

I'm writing this in response to the previous thread that seems to have mostly negative experiences and opinions about UBC clinic.
I did my IVF/ICSI cycle at the UBC this June and my experience from the beginning until the end was very positive.
It could be that I just got extremely lucky with everything, but even if I didn't get a BFP, I would have only good things to say about the doctors and the IVF staff there.
All the staff was very friendly, helpful and knowleadeable. I was prescribed a perfect dosage of drugs that stimulated me perfectly and I had 9 eggs retrieved, 7 mature and 3 fertilized. All 3 were transferred and now I am 7 weeks pregnant with twins!

I would definately recommend the UBC clinic! :banana:

#2 Natiko

Natiko
  • 1000+
  • 1074 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 18 July 2005 - 10:31 AM

Kiisu,

That's wonderful to read, congratulations to you on your twins!! I hope that you have a safe, happy and healthy pregnancy! :banana:

I wouldn't not recommend UBC, but all in all, I've been going there for over a year now and I've had quite a few "unpleasant experiences" - and I'm sure thant could happen at ANY clinic. One experience in particular was of an attempt to insert a urinary catheter in by oneof the nurses there, let's just say that the opening in which she was trying to insert this HARD plastic catheter in did NOT have an "opening"... it was my clitoral hood. That was only one negative experience but enough to make you go :blink: .

Yes, the nurses there are very nice, I do agree. Knowledgeable... sure, to a degree. When asked (while looking at a chart of the female reproductive system) "What is that?" me pointing at somehting; the nurse replies "Ummm, uh hu, I don't know what that is.... oh it's a ...." :huh: I can't remember what it was exactly, but it took her a while to tell me what it was. That, in combination with my catheter experience, makes me go :pardon: to the nurses.

I also cycled with a friend (my first cycle), who developed a severe case of OHSS and was hospitalized for nearly 2 weeks. Her experience alone is enough to make anyone switch. Another catheter story but not urinary - it was a chest tube that the nurses were trying to pull out, three nurses were holding her down while one was sedating her because she wouldn't stop screaming and crying saying that it hurt. She had even passed out (her husband was there watching) due to the agony. After 20 minutes of trying to remove the chest tube they realized that they had "forgot" one certain step. It was still attatched to inside her chest in a coil that they had not released. I believe it was also inflated with air at the end, which stopped it from coming out. Because it is UBC, a lot of these Dr's and nurses are in training and unfortunately are unsupervised while attending to patients. Needless to say, she did not go back. She is in the process of transferring her frozen embies.

Of course someone who gets a positive experience their first time while attending UBC will have only positive words to say, what else could you say? I, being a client, for over a year having only negative experiences time and time again with no answers, have a reason to be somewhat bitter. I don't blame. I DO accept but nevertheless, it hurts just the same. It's been a very, VERY long road for me and I'm becoming quite impatient. I was sent to UBC for one reason and one reason only; because I had a chance.

I'm still waiting. More than likely I will not switch clinics. I'm very comfortable at UBC. While their stats are significantly lower than Genesis' I still feel I have the same chance at getting pregnant with UBC as I do at any other clinic. My body is my body and no doctor or a "special" concoction of hormones can change that.

So now I can hope. I am excited to be trying another avenue. A less expensive one at that :) . In the end no matter what the outcome is, I will have no regrets. I do feel that I did my best and that the doctors at UBC did the best to their knowledge - despite not allowing my sister to be my egg donor. What lies ahead is scary but I'm not willing to give up just yet or switch. I will remain a client, unfaithful, but still a client of UBC.

I have yet to meet more positives such as yourself, that does give me hope and after ready that you are pregnant with twins is another success for me to find hope in. Again, congrats on your little babes, I wish you all the best! :flowers:

Thanks for sharing your postive story!

Shawn

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 02:33 PM

Kiisu,

congratulations with your twins!!! That's awesome!!!

Shawn, how are you dear?

Olga.

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 04:24 PM

Hi Kisuu!! :)

TWINS!!! :D How LOVELY!! Who could hope for a better GIFT??

ALL THE BEST!! :banana: :banana: :banana:

Sadie

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 05:21 PM

Thank you all for good wishes!

Natiko, I am sorry to hear about your long journey. I did read your post about the urinary catheter when you originally posted it and I can imagine that it was a very unpleasant experience.
I know it can be very frustrating to keep trying as it took us 7 years to conceive. I really hope that you will soon receive your own little miracle.

To be honest, I believe that the reason why we dont' hear more about positive experiences is because when you get pregnant, lot of women just move on and you will never hear from them again. Sure, some women who develop friendships over these message boards will continue posting, but as you can see from the number of my posts, I have always been more of a lurker and was not going to post at all after receiving my result. So the number of positive experiences that you may see here is not necessarily the true reflection of outcomes.

All the best to you all!!!

#6 andia

andia
  • Global 100+
  • 569 posts
  • Dx:Tubal

Posted 19 July 2005 - 03:16 AM

:flowers: Congrats Kiisu!!

Thank you for posting your positive opinions about UBC. Everyone in my experience has been great so far... so I haven't decided yet if I will cycle there for sure or not. I am in the decision process now. I just want to have the best possible outcome, ya know.

All the best,

andia

fa8uog.gif

#7 Natiko

Natiko
  • 1000+
  • 1074 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 10:40 AM

Kiisu,

Yes, I'm sure in time as more and more people realize that IVF.ca exsists, you will see more and more people from both UBC and Genesis, but right now there aren't that many. Genesis is the more popular clinic.

I also go by the stats, too, that's a biggie to me. Sure, 2004 could have been a bad year for UBC as their stats were similar in 2003, but it makes me wonder what happened? :icon_question: Why the big drop?

In February I had cycled with 5 other women. None of us got pregnant which was really sad. That is forever in the back of my mind and leaves me feeling kinda hopeless at times. Then there is everything else. :( :sigh:

I spoke to Dr.Williams last week, she suggested doing Superovulation now. I had to bring in dh to make sure he understood what was going on so we made a follow-up which was yesterday. At that appt. she told me she couldn't promise me anything. I said to her "It was YOUR idea." :angry: It's a little frustrating when in the beginning she wants to do IUI, we say no, we want "more bang for our buck" and go right into IVF. She was very happy and optimistic that IVF would work for us. Well, it didn't obviously. But now at the appt yesterday she wasn't very optimistic at all about the Superovulation... yet, she suggested it the week before saying that is what she wants to do. It just all gives me a headache :sick:

Why I feel so optimistic about the IUI/Supero, I don't know. I do, isn't that odd?? I feel more optimistic about that than I did the IVF. If she felt so optimistic about the IVF and that failed, and now she's not too sure about the IUI... maybe it will work! LOL

Oh well, one day at a time. :P

Shawn

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 11:01 AM

Can anyone post what UBC and Genesis' statistics are?
I didn't know about them.

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1084 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 11:55 AM

UBC

30-34 - 31%
35-39 - 38%
40-44 - 25%

Genesis

< 35 - 48%
35-39 - 43%
40-43 - 33%

#10 Natiko

Natiko
  • 1000+
  • 1074 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 01:26 PM

Pretty big difference, hu? I think that says a lot. :popcorneater:

Shawn

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 05:00 PM

are these statistics published annually????

I was at UBC and am currently pregnant.

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1084 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 07:39 PM

Yeah they are annually. I found them on the websites of each clinic.

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 10:31 PM

shawn,

i've read lots of your posts & i'm sorry that thing still haven't worked out for you (yet). i'm a little confused & need an update ... since they said no to your sister's eggs, what's the plan now? i just read that you may do IUI ... seems weird that they just said "no" to using your sister's eggs. could you go through another clinic maybe?

also, since you're kinda discouraged with UBC, why not go for a free consultation at genesis .. talk to dr. fluker or dr. yuzpe... they're a couple of the best in north america. just see what they have to say about your experience & see what they would suggest. i think it could be interesting to hear how they're suggestions differ from those at UBC.

if you do it, i'd ask for an appointment with dr. fluker -- she's just more chatty & warm & i found her really nice to talk to. she gave us all the time in the world too & seemed to really really care.

what do you think?

kris

#14 Natiko

Natiko
  • 1000+
  • 1074 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 10:05 AM

Hi Kris,

Thanks for "stopping in" :P . It's funny, when I think about you and how you're almost due any time :banana: , I feel like I've been here forever. Sure, I've now been going to UBC for over a year, but when I put it into the perspective of knowing you when you first joined and now you're almost due, man, it does feel like forever that I've been doing this. :dontknow: Oh well, at least I've got an amazing support group in all of you this last year! :grouphug2:

I wrote down Dr.Fluker's name a while back. I just don't know HOW I can get in there without switching clinics. I would love nothing more than to hear what another Dr. says about my situation, I would. I would feel then that at least I had tried all avenues. Thanks for letting me know that Dr.Fluker gave you all the time in the world and was warm, I so need that in a doctor now.

I know it's weird about UBC saying no to my sisters eggs when they KNOW it could be a better chance of pregnancy for me. I thought we had the same goals in mind but apparently using a known donor like a sister is just asking for trouble. My sister was furious saying that they don't even know her, how can they judge her and I like that? My doctor wouldn't budge.

I will call Genesis and see how I can get in there without switching... but then again, they need my file to see what UBC has done. :icon_cry: HOW do I do this?? I am back and forth on the switching clinics, I can't make up my mind.

I'm pretty consfused :(

Thanks Kris :flowers: :thanks:

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 12:20 AM

hmmmm, i see your point about the files having to get to genesis. now, i'm sure that genesis would be happy to see you and assess your situation.. but it would be good for them to have your files so that they can really look over what you've had done.. so that means that ubc would know that you're going for a second opinion.

i'd have the same hesitation as you, but i don't think you should - you're paying these clinics huge HUGE money & they're making huge HUGE money & i think that getting a second opinion is the best thing you could do at this point, especially since you're kind of in limbo right now.

so i'll be bossy now. you should phone genesis & talk to them & ask if you need a referral.. if you do, then get it from your family doctor. oh oh, how bout this - you ask ubc for copy of all your records, that way they won't know what you're up to. then go talk to dr. fluker. if she agrees with ubc about everything then you'll feel better proceeding with ubc ... and if not, maybe you can try a different route. my friend was going to use a friend's sperm & do iui through genesis.. they were ok with the friend thing, but wanted the sperm to go through the proper channels for collection & screening etc. she ended up using "stranger" donor sperm, but that's another story. would be interesting to see what genesis has to say about your sister's eggs.

kris

#16 andia

andia
  • Global 100+
  • 569 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 09:52 PM

Hi,

I hope you guys don't mind if I pop in. :blush: I am in the same boat as Shawn trying to decide where to cycle still. You see I am going to ubc to get my bad tube removed before doing my 1st ivf cycle and am not sure if I should stay with ubc or go to Gen. I like ubc so far, but want so bad to have a bfp that I am thinking of maybe going to Genesis. It just seems to me that there seems to be more girls getting there bfp's from what I have seen on reading the message boards and looking at there stats.

Shawn, I agree with Kris, maybe you could just call them up and ask if they do 2nd opinions? Or get your family dr to send a referral... That is my plan, if I decide to go to Genesis I will get my obgyn (who gets copies of all my test results etc) to refer me there for ivf. I really hope you feel better and can come to a decision you feel good about. From what I have read from you, it sounds like you just aren't happy with ubc, so maybe just getting into Genesis to talk to dr. F might give you some different options? Just an idea. :P Like you, I still don't know where to go! I think I would stay at ubc if I knew dr. R. was going to do all my procedures, I really like him and trust him.

Does anyone know how long it takes to get in to Genesis? I am seriously leaning on cycling there...

Seems like I've been confused about this forever!! Anyways, I guess we'll see what happens. :think:

Bye ladies!

fa8uog.gif

#17 Natiko

Natiko
  • 1000+
  • 1074 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 10:58 AM

Hi Andia,

When I did speak to Genesis, I had asked them what their wait time was and she told me it was approximately 4 weeks. I waited almost 3 months to get in to see Dr.Williams at UBC!

I'm sorry you are having such a hard time deciding, I'm so torn, too. One minute I am all geared up to just bite the bullet and go full force with switching... then I feel all mousey and just stick where I'm at and let UBC do what they do. After my follow-up last week and my convo on the phone with Sandi (the nurse) yesterday, I am again quite discouraged. I know I know, I'm bringing all this on myself, but I don't have a "gut instinct" here telling me what to do. The big thing now is that I have this stange feeling that my IUI's will be cancelled because I will produce too many follicles. They have not told me tis will happen, but they have a way or "warning" you... without trying to alarm you but yet, I know what they're thinking. See, on both my IVF's I produced TONS of follicles (first time was 27, second was 21). For superovulation/IUI they only want 2-4 follies on each ovary or else they won't inseminate. I don't see HOW they figure I will only have that many. I also (apparently) have PCOS (no symtoms whatsoever except irregular periods) so I have all these other tiny little follies that concern them, because I am a candidate for OHSS so they tell me they have to be very careful stimulating me. BUT, I also only have one falopian tube (ectopic 2000) so my chances have decreased quite a bit, but they STILL will not do the IUI if I have more that 4 follies on each ovary... 'because they don't want me to have triplets!' It hardly matters if I ovulate on one side because my eggs have no road to follow. Her explanation for that was that the eggs can still find their way to the uterus through my OTHER falopian tube, they can float over there. :icon_exclaim: Hold on, now HOW often does THAT happen??! Her answer, "It can happen." GOOD, then I MIGHT get pregnant!!!! But they won't do it. I just don't get their reasoning. Same with using my sister as a donor, my chances at pregnancy would be more than likely be better, but nope, they won't let me. Do they even WANT me to get pregnant? :icon_question:

Well, I just hope that you aren't stuck like I am. I don't want for you to have regrets! But who knows Andia, just because I am unhappy there I am just ONE person. So far 2 have come on here and said they were happy with UBC. Buuuuut, then there are the stats. Jeez, see, that just hit me again. It's always the stats that make me really think. I wish this was easy, I wish Genesis didn't have to see my file, it makes it so much harder. I'll see what I can do. I really don't want regrets here. You too. Weigh your options, I'd hate to see you in my shoes a year from now :( . I have to make an appt for another PAP, so I'll ask my doctor if he can get a copy of my file and then send me over to Gen. to see what they say. There's gotta be an easier way, we'll see.

Hang in there. You'll do what's right. Keep in touch, I'd like to know how you do and what you decide. I only want the best for you and everyone else cause this really REALLY sucks sometimes!

Have a good day! :flowers:
Shawn

#18 michelletj

michelletj
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 11:44 AM

Hi,

I hope you don't mind me throwing my opinion in. My name is Michelle, and I cycled at UBC last year, and my twins are now 7 months old. I really liked Dr. Rowe, but when I started there I saw Dr. Allaire, who is Dr Williams' partner, and I wasn't a huge fan of hers. I have been reading your posts, and Shawn, I would suggest to you that you make the appointment to Genesis. I realize that you are feeling that it might be disloylal, and that someone at UBC might be offended, but who cares if they are? Besides, if Genesis sees your file, you might not have to go through all the testing that you already went through at UBC. If you were seeing a Dr and he told you that that you were dying, wouldn't you seek a second opinion? I realize that my example is extreme, but why take only one opinion? I'm not saying that I was ever unhappy at UBC, but if my cycle hadn't worked, I probably would have looked at Genesis quite seriously. One word of caution about Genesis, I have been told that the reason that their statistics are so high, is because they only accept patients who have a higher chance of getting pregnant. Remember, statistics are really easy to manipulate.
Michelle

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 12:03 PM

It took us about 6 weeks to get a consultation with genesis, then things moved really quickly after that

#20 andia

andia
  • Global 100+
  • 569 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 07:09 PM

Thanks so much for your replies. I don't know what I would do with out this board! :icon_question:

Shawn- I know what you mean about not having that gut instinct telling me what to do. But, if I dig deep, I think that my gut is telling me to go to Genesis or I wouldn't be so confused. I hope they will accept me with my problems! Seriously though, I am going to think about it a little more to make sure. Dr. R is removing my tube in Sept because there is fluid in it and it can be toxic to embies. He said I can start ivf right away if I want to. So, I have to decide quickly where I am going to go. I really hope you can figure this all out too. I am always here if you ever want to talk... Let me know what you decide! :wacko: This is so confusing!!

Does anyone know, if my Dr is dr. R will he be the one doing all my procedures? I think I read that it all depends on who is working that day who does your procedures....

Congrats Michelle on your twins! :D

Thanks so much everyone.

fa8uog.gif

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1084 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 08:43 PM

I just wanted to reply to Genesis's stats. I don't know of anyone or have heard of anyone being turned down services from Genesis. I was told that everyone was welcome there and the only thing that I had to do was wait my turn.

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 11:56 PM

congratulations on the gift of twins!
I also heard that Genesis's stats are high because they have strict criteria for who will receive the services, whereas UBC is research related, because it is university based, and does not have criteria for exclusion. i would switch to genesis though if my experience at ubc wasn't good. so far, it has been okay, i think they could inform you better. for instance i was shocked when they cancelled me on day 6 due to early ovulation. i didn't even know that was possible. now i am on my second day 7 and still spotting from my period, so i'm fearful they will cancel again, it's depressing....

#23 andia

andia
  • Global 100+
  • 569 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 02:54 AM

Hi Trishus,

So you go to ubc? Nice to hear you like it so far.

May I ask how early you ovulate? I always spot after AF for days and ovulate on days 11-13 so now I am worried I might be in the same situation as you. I never heard of them cancelling for that reason either. :huh:

May I ask you why you are doing ivf? I am doing it because I have tubal issues. I won't be starting my first cycle until Sept.

Good luck with your cycle, keep us posted!

fa8uog.gif

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 08:59 AM

[quote name='andia' date='Jul 24 2005, 11:54 PM']
Hi Trishus,

So you go to ubc? Nice to hear you like it so far.

May I ask how early you ovulate? I always spot after AF for days and ovulate on days 11-13 so now I am worried I might be in the same situation as you. I never heard of them cancelling for that reason either. :huh:

May I ask you why you are doing ivf? I am doing it because I have tubal issues. I won't be starting my first cycle until Sept.

Hi Andia,
I believe i ovulate very early, last time i started on day 6 of ivf cycle (day 9 of my cycle). i think it's important to tell them if you spot for a long time, because maybe the AF really has started even if it isn't a full flow the way they describe it should be. or alternatively, if there is spotting, maybe it isn't the AF at all, i think that's what may be happening this time.
I am doing IVF because I am 41, and because there is low motility in the sperm also. everything tests normal on me but we have been ttc for 3 years...to no avail.
i wish you the best of luck, i can only say ASK A LOT OF QUESTIONS to the nurses and to the doctors. don't be put off if they seem busy. keep asking until you feel satisfied you understand. and then........have faith :flowers:
today i will see if my cycle continues on, i dearly hope so............

#25 Guest_kabi9_*

Guest_kabi9_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2005 - 04:27 AM

Hi Andia,

I just found this forum and that's why I'm jumping in your discussion here. I've been cycling at UBC and had two failed ICSI cycles so far and my first frozen cycle next week. I really like the nurses and Dr. Rowe. But the procedures are not done aby Dr. Rowe only. Each doctor has days that does the procedure so it can be a different doctor each time.

One thing that really sucks at UBC is the counsling service. They say that the fees are covering 3 counsling sessions but whenever I called them they were not availbale and returned my call after 4 days!!!