1 reply to this topic

#1 mkttc

mkttc
  • Global 100+
  • 161 posts
  • Dx:PCOS
  • My Clinic:Edmonton Fertility Clinic

Posted 20 October 2010 - 12:46 PM

Hi there, I was just reading about a recent Austrailian study wherein the glucose consumption of the embryos for IVF was measured and there was a clear link between pregnancy achivement and glucose consumption of the embryos prior to the IVF proceedure. The embryos with the highest glucose consumption in this study resulted in pregnancy. I was just wondering if 1.) this is currently measured in Canadian fertility clincis to guide the selection of embryos to implant 2.) how difficult is this to do (measuring the glucose going into the solution and then measuring it again days later to determine glucose consumption)in the lab?

TTC for about 9 years (since age 30)
2007 - Metformin & suspected early M/C in July 2007
2009 - Hysteroscopy - endo found & removed, no blockages
2010 - Clomid
Feb 2010 - first ever BFP on 2nd cycle
March 2010 - dx M/C, emerg d&c
April 2010 - referral to Edmonton Fertility Clinic
FSH - 6.1 DH's completely fine...
July 2010 - first IUI on clomid
5 failed IUI
January 2011 - IVF #1 - BFN
3 more failed IUI
Last chance FET likely August 2011
BFP - ultrasound shows two sacs
Natural M/C 7 weeks
Ultimate Shocker - natural BFP one month later...
Wow - daughter born July 16/2012

#2 Peter

Peter

Embryologist

• 1000+
  • 3061 posts
  • Interests:Stem cells, cord blood and infertility
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:The Bridge Clinic, Lagos, Nigeria

Posted 21 October 2010 - 02:11 PM

Hi there, I was just reading about a recent Austrailian study wherein the glucose consumption of the embryos for IVF was measured and there was a clear link between pregnancy achivement and glucose consumption of the embryos prior to the IVF proceedure. The embryos with the highest glucose consumption in this study resulted in pregnancy. I was just wondering if 1.) this is currently measured in Canadian fertility clincis to guide the selection of embryos to implant

Not that I know of. The technique was forst proposed in the 1980's but as far as I know it has remained experimental. If the technology has imporved, which I am sure that it has, it may provide additional information on embryo quality in the future

2.) how difficult is this to do (measuring the glucose going into the solution and then measuring it again days later to determine glucose consumption)in the lab?

It is technically quite easy

Good luck,

Peter

www.thebridgeclinic.com
www.wmin.ac.uk
www.smartcells.com